facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 12, 2008, 01:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
I wuld request you guys to stop insulting the man. He has earned more money for himself and his family at the age of 24 than most of you will even at the age of 50 ( although he is still not passed his HSC). He is a recognizable figure in the world of sports and even though he fails more often than not people are still willing to pay to see him bat. He failed at HSC not becasue he was spending this time drinking and partying but becasue he was busy serving his country to the best of his ability. Look at yourself and what u have achieved with ur life before u go on insulting the man.

he is not a failiure...
Unless majority of the BC members are day labourers I dont see how this statement is true at all especially since you say "at the age of 50 ". More importantly BC is made up of mostly expats who earn much more than what Ashraful or any other sports person earns in Bangladesh.

Old September 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Just make this a R Rated forum with limitations ... You could some people up real fast or makes things Spicy again around here
Old September 12, 2008, 02:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

i invite Mohammad Ashraful to fast 30 days straight in Ramadhan and pray taraweeh and cry to Allah like he has never before...

his life is completely far from the TRUTH at the moment...
Old September 12, 2008, 02:24 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifat

his life is completely far from the TRUTH at the moment...
all of our lives are.... no one on this planet can claim to be saint

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 12, 2008, 02:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

i wasn't surprised. but better luck next time
Old September 12, 2008, 03:52 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Money comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by layperson
Unless majority of the BC members are day labourers I dont see how this statement is true at all especially since you say "at the age of 50 ". More importantly BC is made up of mostly expats who earn much more than what Ashraful or any other sports person earns in Bangladesh.
Since you have introduced this subject, I want to go a bit further into this.
However, in no way, I am trying to create an argument out of your post. I would like to apologize to everyone in the beginning itself because I am drifting away from the original 'genre' of this thread, which I don't consider even worth discussing about.

As far as my knowledge is concerned, a Grade 'A' cricketer earns a basic amount of Tk 80,000 every month, irrespective of the number of international matches he's played over the 'contracted' period of time. Ashraful belongs to this grade, so financially, he's amongst the top sportsmen in the country(excluding Razzak because his IPL offer was from an external source and not within the country). In addition, just appearing in the final XI of a test and an ODI will fetch that individual, regardless of his contracted grade, an extra Tk 20,000 and Tk 50,000 respectively. Furthermore, the cricketers have also been promised bonuses if they manage to pull off greater victories.
Considering Ashraful's scenario, he's already pocketed Tk 6,40,000 from his basic salary starting from January 2008. And in this year alone, he's been involved in 4 tests, 21 ODIs and a single T20 intl. So summing up all his match fees gives a value of Tk 11,80,000(including Man of the Match award in Asia Cup). All these figures add upto Tk 18,20,000. This means he's earned a total sum of Tk 18,20,000 in 8 months commencing from January 2008. According to the latest currency exchange rate, the above value is USD$ 26,598.51 when converted from BD Tk. When converted into UAE Dirhams, its AED 97,683.25 which roughly makes 12,200 every month. And earning 12000 per month in UAE Dirhams is fantastic provided all your allowances and miscellanious charges are taken care by your employer, which, in Ashraful's case, is the BCB.

To sum it up, this isn't a counter post, but rather a post out of curiosity, and my reason for all these calculations were to discover whether our so called 'top' cricketers in Bangladesh really match up with the 'wealthy professionals' who visit BC. I am still a university student, so I can't decide. But in my personal opinion, in terms of money, top sportsmen(or should I say only top cricketers?) of our country aren't that bad when put into comparison. Well, I have presented all the figures(which can only increase in future as Bangladesh develops into a strong cricketing nation), and surely, there are other members out here who can enlighten us further.

Thanks layperson.
Old September 12, 2008, 03:55 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
all of our lives are.... no one on this planet can claim to be saint
Post of the thread, or even the recent threads!
Nice Gopal Bhar!
Old September 12, 2008, 04:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

israr bro,
just a college graduate would make over 35k (any where in US) in an entry level job.

A minimum wage employee (Say restaurant Toilet cleaner with no experience) would earn $7.25 an hour. 40 hours a week and no over time would get $250 a week. 52 week would bring in more than 15k. Now most of the minimum wage people would work two jobs say 60 hours a week at least. That is $22k+.

Unless, the person doesn't want to work, typical minimum wage worker would get a raise after 6 months or 12 months. That would total to $26k+ in a year.

Last edited by Tigers_eye; September 12, 2008 at 04:22 PM..
Old September 12, 2008, 04:45 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Unless, the person doesn't want to work, typical minimum wage worker would get a raise after 6 months or 12 months. That would total to $26k+ in a year.
I think the country of residence is important here along with expenditure and life style. In BD, Ash earns really a handsome amount as an employee.
Old September 12, 2008, 05:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
israr bro,
just a college graduate would make over 35k (any where in US) in an entry level job.

A minimum wage employee (Say restaurant Toilet cleaner with no experience) would earn $7.25 an hour. 40 hours a week and no over time would get $250 a week. 52 week would bring in more than 15k. Now most of the minimum wage people would work two jobs say 60 hours a week at least. That is $22k+.

Thanks a lot for the information bhaiya! The figure I mentioned USD 26000 was only for the last 8 months from Jan to Aug. Now lets hope Ashraful finds form(Insha'Allah) and goes on to play all the remaining games in this year's fixture, i.e 4 tests and 11 more ODIs, he would add a further Tk 9,50,000(inclusive of basic salary) to his bank balance, which is in US Dollars $13,914.32. So, effectively, Ashraful(without any serious injuries) in a typical cricket calendar, earns close to about $40000 per year, 5k more than a fresh graduate in US. Bear in mind I haven't added any bonuses of wins or MOM awards to his cumulative amount.
Considering the gargantuan difference in economy of both the countries, one of our top cricketers earning $40k per year compared to $35k of a college graduate is atleast respectable, if not satisfactory.
These are the 'bleakiest' times for Bangladesh cricket, but I am sure when the rosy days arrive, the moderate cricketers or even the reletively new cricketers of Bangladesh would have earnings in similar capacity to that what you've mentioned for a new entrant in professional industry in US.
Old September 12, 2008, 10:40 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mashrafe & Shakib!

There is no source revealing his results to the public. Hence assuming that Ashraful flunked would be unjust. Maybe he did, or maybe he just passed. Whatever the result, it is not right to assume something and go on taking out heat for some other deed on some fact we not know of.

But just in case he did fail and was yet again stupidly smug about it, if it would not be so tragic, then it would be very comical. And then I would have to say in Ash's words "Failure is the pillar of success!" the only question I have is, how many pillars are needed to erect a solid structure?
Old September 13, 2008, 01:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Israr,

My response to Here We Go was beacuse he said most of us here wont even earn that even when we are 50 whereas most of us here earn more than what ashraful earns now. We dont have to be 50. A more logical think to say in response to my post would have been that Ashraful's income in terms of Bangladesh's context is pretty good. We should not bring in education because there are lots of business men in Old dhaka who are not even grade 5 pass but they earn a lot more than the city dwellers in Dhaka and even more than a lot of businessmen in Dhaka sitting in their posh offices. Bottom line is Ashraful is the maximum a sportsperson might be earning in BD, whereas Tigers eye just gave you the minimum a graduate might be earning. Its another story that most of the earning is taken away from us in the form of income tax.
Old September 13, 2008, 01:32 AM
Cricket Guru

OMGOSH! the tags on this thread!!! ROFL!!!!
Old September 13, 2008, 06:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

I think that BD cricketers are earning the lowest pay for the Test nations. The Sri Lankan cricket Board pay their grade B cricketers about $20,000 US per year. Ashraful as a captain earning less than $35000 U.S. per year is unacceptable. But, maybe, the cost of living in BD is quite low and of course, he lives at home with his parents.
Top paying cricketers in the world are the Aussies, the players playing for their respective provinces earn more than $40,000 Aussie dollars plus match fees.

Regarding the failure of his exam, he did not have enough time to prepare for it. Remember, Saqib took time off from cricket, he missed two tournaments. Ash did not do this, he even mentioned that he will sacrifice the exam for cricket, so why are you bashing him like this, at least he attemped it with minimum preparation Pl,ease give him a break, he is going through enough as it is at the moment. This is the month of Ramadan, and Muslims are supposed to be compassionate towards each other, not kill a guy when he is down. We have to help him to get up and stand again on his two feet.

Last edited by zainab; September 13, 2008 at 06:08 AM..
Old September 13, 2008, 08:53 AM
Cricket Savant

thnx israr bhai...your quote in the sig reminds me of oliver heaviside from 'strange brains and genius'

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 13, 2008, 09:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

At the age of 24, without an HSC earning 30K+ even wihout really performing or making any mark at any level I would take that over anything that would pay me slight more, compared to my living condition, bank interest rate and daily expenses unless the huge risk factor, I may start raising the figure in a geometric ratio through performance or slowly decline and perish in my mid thirties without much income left other than coaching and umpiring local matches.
Old September 13, 2008, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Though I am not a fan of Ashthefluke - this thread is uncalled for. Not everybody is a Sangakara, Kumble or Sayeed Anwar. There are Mohammad Asif, Afridi and Harbi. I would also ask the moderators to delete this thread
Old September 13, 2008, 10:49 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

who cares?

academia is not his 'station in life'.

if any of us played international cricket we'd have a career full of more ducks than courtney walsh. so what?

his (ashraful's) job is simply to score runs. and yes he's been failing at that, and thats the real issue.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old September 13, 2008, 11:07 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

i give great kudos to our ash that he can give interviews now, it shows that the young man does have real kahunas! i respect that heavily!