facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 28, 2006, 01:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Thumbs up DS: Shahriar surprise !!!

In a surprise move the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Monday named Shahriar Nafees as vice-captain of the national team for the ICC Champions Trophy to be held in India in October-November.

The board's decision to award the young left-handed opener the demanding job at its executive committee meeting yesterday, was a bolt from the blue for long-serving wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud, who had successfully led the team in the recently concluded Africa trip during the absence of injured skipper Habibul Bashar.

BCB general secretary Mahbubul Anam however told reporters that they have considered Shahriar in an effort to groom a future Bangladesh captain.

"It was unanimously agreed in the meeting that Shahriar will act as the deputy of Bashar for the tourney. It would be nothing new for him since he had led Bangladesh Under-19s and Bangladesh A team previously," said Mahbub while defending the board's decision.

"Most importantly Nafees attended a captaincy training programme under the supervision of Asian Cricket Council (ACC) and honestly speaking he has the ability to go all the way," he added.

When asked whether the board was taking unnecessary risk by naming Shahriar as vice-captain ahead of a proven Mashud with Bashar yet to get back to full fitness, the bearded BCB general secretary said that they were adamant to gamble with the young southpaw.

"I agree that we might have made a mistake in the previous occasion but we are very much confident this time about Shahriar. Besides, we have confirmation that Bashar will be fit for the ICC Champions Trophy," he said.

Mahbub was batting against a volley of questions after the Rajin Saleh fallout in the last ICC Champions Trophy in England in 2004.

"Bashar will start the training with the team tomorrow and he can bat within two weeks, so we can't think right at the moment that Bashar will miss the tourney," he added.

Bangladesh start their training for the second biggest tournament after World Cup today in the absence of coach Dav Whatmore who will return from Sri Lanka on August 31.
Old August 28, 2006, 01:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

"I agree that we might have made a mistake in the previous occasion but we are very much confident this time about Shahriar. Besides, we have confirmation that Bashar will be fit for the ICC Champions Trophy," he said.

"Bashar will start the training with the team tomorrow and he can bat within two weeks, so we can't think right at the moment that Bashar will miss the tourney," he added.
Thats a good news. Shahriar Nafees will be a great captain. Atleast better than Pilot or Rajin thats for sure.
Old August 28, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Good move indeed.

P.S. Fazal bhai, I can't find my ears.
Old August 28, 2006, 02:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Good move indeed.
P.S. Fazal bhai, I can't find my ears.
I know I know .... next time you will not see your ears (I mean your idol) anymore... sooner than you think .

There was a news a while ago that Pilot and some BCB selectors doesn't talk eye to eye any more. They want Pilot out. That's why they selected Mushfiq in the first place. But first bashar and then DAV spoiled the whole plan. Thats why they are khappa on Dav also. Now they are going for PLAN-B to eliminate Pilot. Looks like that inside-scoop have some merit after all.... these reporters are no dummies.

So lets see how Pilot tackle assisanation plan this time.
Old August 28, 2006, 01:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Good to hear. I hope his batting is not affected by the pressure of captaincy. Wishing S. Nafees all the best.......
________
NEW MEXICO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES

Last edited by ialbd; February 20, 2011 at 12:14 AM..
Old August 28, 2006, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

woohoo! bashar will play! yay!

but the thing is, how can they be so sure when the docs down under said he needed surgery?
Old August 28, 2006, 02:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
how can they be so sure when the docs down under said he needed surgery?
I think Mahbub Anam was in pure bs mode yesterday. Not only he denied the fact that there is a good chance Bashar won't play in the champion's trophy, he also said that he was not aware that he is in charge to investigate the selectors !
Old August 28, 2006, 02:45 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
When asked whether the board was taking unnecessary risk by naming Shahriar as vice-captain ahead of a proven Mashud with Bashar yet to get back to full fitness, the bearded BCB general secretary said that they were adamant to gamble with the young southpaw...
What an adjective!
Old August 28, 2006, 03:15 PM
Cricket Guru

Not sure how the move will affect the team, but I know that Pilot is really unhappy and mad. He might not even take catches. As he is very emotional. It's hard to deal with emotional people.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:16 PM
Cricket Legend

I don't think he will be that stupid cuz he better realize his position in the team in not secured anymore.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:18 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

so if bashar do not play CT, nafees will be the man leading the team? cool!
Old August 28, 2006, 03:32 PM
Cricket Sage

Do you think can lead the team effectively as long as these (two) are there in the team?

and

Forget about other info that we already know about them, just look at the picture.

I don't have any problem with SN as a future potential Captain.
However I see recipe for disaster (in short term) with senior players like them to lead to in the team. Its too much to ask from SN too soon.

And that initial failure will be hard to shake off as it will be used against SN in long term as why he shouldn't be a captain in future.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Good way to remove Pilot from captaincy and perhaps from the team in the next step!
Old August 28, 2006, 03:26 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

this was inevitable. definitely a good proactive move by the selectors.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:38 PM
Cricket Legend

I must say I didn't expect the selectors to make a such a bold move. I am impressed nevertheless. Rafique and Pilot should be professional enough to go play for their country without worrying too much about who is doing the captaincy.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

yeah, i agree. i'm not sure if nafees is ready to take on the responsibilities associated with captaining the team. besides, this is a tournament where we must win a few games to qualify for the ICCCT, and i'm not sure whether appointing someone with so little experience is a good idea. unfortunately, we don't have many alternatives either. perhaps we could've tried rajin again?
Old August 28, 2006, 03:42 PM
Test Cricketer

fazal bhai, you have two solid points. the senior players (namely rafiq and pilot) may be butt hurt about this. hopefully they'll understand that this is beneficial for the team. they are professionals, and they should act as such.

nafees is selected as an understudy to bashar, so he eventually gets used to captaining the national team. this is the learning process. the media needs to take it easy on the board on this one, because nafees surely seems like the best man to lead our team in the future (maybe in the coming world cup even). he has a good amount of experience in captaining the A team and the u-19 team. furthermore, he has been in a training program for this purpose as well. he is one of the mainstays in our team (the only solid opener we have), and is one of the more matured ones.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovon13
nafees is selected as an understudy to bashar, so he eventually gets used to captaining the national team. this is the learning process.
good move if and only if bashar is playing. however, we're not sure mahbub wasn't on drugs during the press conference.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:48 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
good move if and only if bashar is playing. however, we're not sure mahbub wasn't on drugs during the press conference.
lol. thats true. if bashar is still injured during the champion's trophy, it might be a good idea to retain pilot as the captain - while nafees remains the vice captain of the team.
Old August 28, 2006, 03:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Finally a pro-active move with future in mind. They should have done this for the African tour. I must applaud them however for recognizing the need to identify the future captain for Bangladesh and it must start now. Richard McIness told us that he was captaincy material and I will go with his words. Also, he has represented us in various stages of age level competition. So, he is no novice. He will learn in his capacity as the vice-captain until Bashar retires from intl cricket in three-four years. Thats plenty of time to learn and maybe Bashar would get advices from him as well ( if he does indeed have the acumen ). He will be ready to take over when Bashar decides to hang it up. Its a good move. Positive and bold. In all probabiltiy, Bashar and Pilot will both retire at the same time and if we are not pro-active now, there will be a huge void to fill in the leadrship role if we do not take these steps now. This should be a permanent solution and I think thats what the management has in mind. He should also captain the side in the case Bashar misses a game here and there due to injury. Seniority -juniority boogeyman that is so prevalent in our culture must not transpire in the playing field. They must understand it like true professionals. Companies target their leadrship materials early, groom them, and move them when time is right ,bypassing senior workers quite often. Professionals cricketers must also think like that. If Graeme Smith can be a captain even with Pollock, kallis, Boucher in the side, why can't we? They are in the same profession. Kudos to the management for thinking positively. It is the right decision at theright time. In three-four years, the generation of Bashar, Pilot, Rafiq will be replaced and the new captain should be ready by then because of this move. Congrats!
Old August 28, 2006, 04:01 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Seniority -juniority boogeyman that is so prevalent in our culture must not transpire in the playing field. They must understand it like true professionals.
exactly. i understand its an honor to be able to lead your country, but its no less (perhaps more) honor helping your country win some matches.
Old August 28, 2006, 04:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Yes in a ideal world its all great move. So we are saying....

- Rafique and Pilot will be professional enough to go play for their country without worrying too much about who is doing the captaincy

- Senior players (namely rafiq and pilot) should not be butt hurt about this

- Media will to take it easy on the board on this one

- It will be a gradual process ... eventually will get used to captaining the national team

- hopefully they'll (senior players) understand that this is beneficial for the team

- they are professionals, and they should act as such

- good move if and only if bashar is playing. We can trust on mahbub, that Bashar is playing.

- Richard McIness told us that he (nafees) was captaincy material. By that he most likely meant that he is ready to lead now.

- He will learn in his capacity as the vice-captain until Bashar retires. Assumption here: bashar is going to lead the team most of the games in near future, which assumes he will be fit before the tournament. The other assumption is bashar is a good mentor to teach Nafees.

- He will be ready to take over when Bashar decides to hang it up. The assumption here is: basher will retire when his time is up; will not extend his stay and eventually be forced to retire like ChaCha.

- He should also captain the side in the case Bashar misses a game here and there due to injury. The assumption here is that he will not be forced to lead too many or too little games during that time.

- Seniority -juniority boogeyman that is so prevalent in our culture -- somehow will not transpire in the playing field.

- They (senior players) will understand it like true professionals.

- bangladeshi cricketers will suddenly start accepting it like other professionals in the western world (unlike Bangladesh).

- If Graeme Smith can be a captain even with Pollock, kallis, Boucher in the side, why can't we?

Yes these are all perfect statemens for ideal worlds. But we don't live in the ideal world and none of this statement will come true so easily... changes require efforts, struggle, small failures and patience.

Now do I want to see all of the above statements/prediction true? Yes !!!!

But am I going to bet my money on that? of-course not?

Will you?

And there lies difference between what we want to see happen versus what we predict things will happen. And as usual the difference is huge to the point thinking about these kind of idealistic situation is too far from reality.

Sorry for iterrupting the day-dream.

Last edited by Fazal; August 28, 2006 at 04:26 PM..
Old August 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Oh!! that's a great news!!

Iam sure, I will see Pilot's last ODI soon

I salute him for his contribution and waiting for his farewell.

Last edited by Miraz; August 28, 2006 at 05:02 PM..
Old August 28, 2006, 04:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Some readers argue that Rafiq and Pilot mabe hurt because if this move. Maybe. But, they need to realize that time is not in their side. They have served us well for years. I am more afraid of the Ashrafuls, Aftabs, Rajins, Mashrafees in the side, who are senior to Nafees, who still is only a relative new comer ( year in the intl cricket ) and its their support that will be more valuable in the long run. I hope they are all professionals and support whoever is the captain chosen regardless of age.
Old August 28, 2006, 04:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
... I am more afraid of the Ashrafuls, Aftabs, Rajins, Mashrafees in the side, who are senior to Nafees, who still is only a relative new comer ( year in the intl cricket ) and its their support that will be more valuable in the long run.
I was worring about this also. But come to think of it, if performace is any measuring stick, then SN is way above than any other BD player that includes Bashar also. If the coach backs him up, if the manager backs him up, I see no problem. Clear communication should be the key between all stakeholders.

With the pathetic performance they showed in the Zim series, we need a dramatic change. May be this is it.