facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 27, 2004, 12:39 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Is Iran the next target?

Have you guys been following the stand-off between Iran and the Western powers regarding its civilian nuclear program? Things seem to be getting hotter by the day. Israel seems to be very much involved in this as well. Will bush attack Iran next? What will be the consequences of any such attack, either by US or by Israel? I personally think US/Israel might be in for a nasty surprise if they think Iran will be just like Iraq.

What do you guys think?
Old September 27, 2004, 03:04 PM
Cricket Legend

If media play the role they played before the Iraq fiasco, everybody in the US will be surprised again I guess.
Old September 27, 2004, 03:19 PM
Cricket Legend

There won't be any war with Iran if you look at it from the logistical point of view. This is about as far stretched as the US forces will be and they (US army) won't let the Pres do it this time.
... But in my opinion Iran could gain more by using the nuke card solely asa bargaining chip and to its advantage instead of going ahead and develping them (which would be unnecessary and suicidal)
Old September 27, 2004, 03:31 PM
ODI Cricketer

Frankly I could not care less any more. US and their imperialistic ways will come to an end, just as the Roman and British empire did. Good luck US in your conquests and enjoy while it lasts :embaressed:
Old September 27, 2004, 03:36 PM
Cricket Legend

yeah logistically, to attack Iran Bush has to reinstitue the draft. And majority of the Americans are pussies. So no, it probably won't happen.
Old September 27, 2004, 04:24 PM
ODI Cricketer

One common thinking is that the US was not discouraged to attack Iraq since they already knew that Iraq didn't have nukes, and probably any WMD for that matter. One view that bolsters this notion is that, insanes like Saddam and his abettors would have had refrained from using the deadly weapons, had they possessed those, is hard to absorb.

By the same token, they have always evaded the notion of attacking North Korea, in spite of its being a greater and apparently imminent threat. With this hypothesis in view, their decision as NOT to invade will hinge upon their intelligence on the absence of ready Nukes in Iran. As for to invade, it will bank on so many other issues.
Old September 27, 2004, 07:56 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
There won't be any war with Iran if you look at it from the logistical point of view. This is about as far stretched as the US forces will be and they (US army) won't let the Press do it this time.
I agree 100% with Oracle on the above post.

However, I disagree with those who claim invasion of Iraq was planned in a few weeks. Invasion of Iraq was probaly in the agenda for a good decade or so (may be longer). Strategically, Iran does not serve much benefit for the U.S. but Iraq does.
Old September 27, 2004, 11:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Strategically Iran doesnot serve any purpose for US in the short-term at least...agreed...however, experience has led me to believe US foreign policy in the Middle East is driven by Israeli concerns. Israel seems to be particularly concerned by Iran's armament advances. Even if we keep Iran's growing prowess in nuclear fuel cycle aside, their impressive indigenous conventional armament development has been causing Israel some serious concerns. Surely, Iran cannot be allowed to continue at this rate!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ghor_jamai
Quote:
Originally posted by oracle
There won't be any war with Iran if you look at it from the logistical point of view. This is about as far stretched as the US forces will be and they (US army) won't let the Press do it this time.
I agree 100% with Oracle on the above post.

However, I disagree with those who claim invasion of Iraq was planned in a few weeks. Invasion of Iraq was probaly in the agenda for a good decade or so (may be longer). Strategically, Iran does not serve much benefit for the U.S. but Iraq does.
Old September 28, 2004, 12:03 AM
Cricket Legend

I think that Australia should be the Super power because we are sensible. Except for when we do stuff with the US. If we were super power then it would be world peace.
Old September 28, 2004, 01:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
however, experience has led me to believe US foreign policy in the Middle East is driven by Israeli concerns.
I think it's the other way around. USA don't receive aids from Israel, it's the opposite. Think of it. Who is the master here?

Bourney, read up some history about East Timor.

Edited on, September 28, 2004, 6:18 AM GMT, by Arnab.
Old September 28, 2004, 01:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Oh yes. Sorry about that i forgot about East Timor. Also Nauru. My mistake. How about New Zealand then.
Old September 28, 2004, 01:38 AM
Cricket Legend

New Zealand can't be a super power! It's the land of sheep! They have only one purpose: being the setting for future Tolkien/C.S. Lewis movies.
Old September 28, 2004, 01:53 AM
Cricket Legend

Hahhahaha true. I was joking i dont think any country can be a super power they all have their useless traits. some more than others.
Old September 28, 2004, 06:21 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally posted by pompous
Strategically Iran doesnot serve any purpose for US in the short-term at least...agreed...however, experience has led me to believe US foreign policy in the Middle East is driven by Israeli concerns. Israel seems to be particularly concerned by Iran's armament advances. Even if we keep Iran's growing prowess in nuclear fuel cycle aside, their impressive indigenous conventional armament development has been causing Israel some serious concerns. Surely, Iran cannot be allowed to continue at this rate!!!
Pompous;

You are correct, I agree, with the point that historically US has been influenced by Israel in their middle east policy. People like Paul Wolfowitz have been playing their card in the background. I think there is also some push back to Israel from Whitehouse. Here is how I see it: knowledge of Iran's nuclear power or desire to acquire probably was known to to the US a while ago, at least before attacking Iraq. Yet they decided to leave Iran alone (despite being in the axis of evil). When the US invaded Iraq the excuse was WMD and not Saddam is a bad guy. For the short term, Iran is probably not going to be a target (at least for the next 2 years). But as you say, Israel may eventually put pressure. Also that is somehow related to who takes the office in Whitehouse in a couple of months.
Old September 29, 2004, 02:16 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash,Rafiq,Wasim,Lee,Inzy

Ya, Iran could be the next target.