facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 30, 2018, 07:24 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib
Default Asia Cup Squad Announced - Shakib Playing | Sabbir & Anamul Dropped

The uncertainty around Shakib Al Hasan's availability for the Asia Cup was quashed on Thursday (August 30) when the Bangladesh Cricket Board included him in the 15-member squad. There were speculations surrounding the star all-rounder who was expected to undergo a surgery on his injured finger during the same time as the multi-team tournament, but it now looks like that the surgery has been postponed.

Quote:
Squad: Mashrafe Mortaza (c), Shakib Al Hasan (vc), Tamim Iqbal, Mohammad Mithun, Liton Das, Mushfiqur Rahim, Ariful Haque, Mahmudullah, Mosaddek Hossain, Nazmul Hossain, Mehidy Hasan, Nazmul Islam, Rubel Hossain, Mustafizur Rahman, Abu Haider Rony.
In : Mithun, Ariful.
Out: Sabbir, Anamul & Abu Jayed

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...p-2018-cricket

Apparently Mithun along with Ariful is being considered for a lower-middle order batting position.

https://bangla.bdnews24.com/cricket/...1534605.bdnews
Old August 30, 2018, 08:02 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall

If it's not broken, don't change it.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:50 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
If it's not broken, don't change it.
Well, Sabbir was definitely broken. Bringing in Ariful also gives a 4th pacer choice. He is useless now and has regressed. A case common among those who want to be superstars and not cricketers.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:16 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

I was hoping for Ashraful's return - is it too much to ask?
Old August 30, 2018, 10:55 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
I was hoping for Ashraful's return - is it too much to ask?
It is still early. It's not about proving himself. And I for one know he will never repeat his mistake. The trust is the not the issue.

Ashraful is an asset. But let him get in the groove. In the interview I posted on his thread, he still thinks "luck dorkar". FFS get out of this "luck dorkar" mentality. Make your own luck punk. That's what peak performers do.

I LOVE how soft-spoken he is and it is hard to believe someone in such humility can be dangerously aggressive on crease.

He does have confidence that he still has some solid 10 years in his bank. I hope he hones, tweaks and maximizes his confidence and strength more and more...

Also, he is still young despite his cricketing acumen. He needs a coach, a mental coach and must be on topnotch, sharp fit condition.

Fitness is another negligent underlying issue of our team.

Anyone can pretty much pick up techniques, tactics, hacks and tweaks. But fitness is something that must be bootstrapped and built with hard work.

Navy SEALS spend all their waking hours doing pushups, pullups, situps and burpees before they even get a sniff of their gun. Now if your mentality is "we are sending them to shoot the bad guys, why should we spend some much time in 'meaningless' exercises?' then you will never build a superior powerhouse of team.

There is a reason why fitness is so important and West spends so much time on it. When I did muay thai...man frikkin hell: First run, then come and do either skipping or jump on tires, then pull tires, then sprint, then more pushups and only at the final segment of 15 minutes spar in the ring. Sparring is the icing on the cake.

Fitness is a meta-skill.

Suppose I tell someone to give 50 pushups. If he is struggling at 49 and can barely make out the last one with a gun pointed to his head, that shows lack of mental toughness in times of pressure cooker situations.

However, if he can crank out the last one, that highlights that he possesses the mental discipline to go that extra step - that extra mile- when he is physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually bankrupt.

[I know I dragged the point to fitness starting with Ashraful. But it is my general thought and observation and IS pertinent and to the point. I really hope we can manufacture a top-notch, fine tuned machine of superior athletes who will need to be carried out on a stretcher before they give up and quit. Kinda like New Zealand's 34/4 in Champion's Trophy.

See skills can be learned. All these hacks, and tweaking your slow-left arm actions...all these can be learned. But you cannot teach a person mental toughness on gritting teeth and making it through hell-fire and rounds of volleys. You need to develop it incrementally with hard work, blood, sweat and tears.]

Basically I am rehashing these concepts here.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old August 30, 2018, 08:21 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

So Sarkar is out as well. Hmmm!!! Did he not do the press conference for the team yesterday?
Old August 30, 2018, 08:24 AM
Cricket Savant

May be Shanto will get a chance this time. Liton will open?
Old August 30, 2018, 08:33 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I think dropping Shabbir was a really good move for Bangladesh for more than one reasons. Now he can muck about all he wants and no one will be bothered.
Old August 30, 2018, 08:56 AM
Test Cricketer

I barely watched Bangladesh cricket lately, so I do not profess to know more. However at the time that I did, I always regarded Sabbir as a unique talent.

Sabbir is a game changer, someone with a cool head. Yes he will fail more than he succeeds but with Sabbir in the team I would still watch the game even if the required rate reaches 10-12 runs per over. If he is dropped because of his off the field antiques than I have no problem, but if he is dropped for his performance than I think the selectors are crazy.

I still remember watching him for the first time against Afghanistan (he was playing for Bangladesh A team). He hit 6 of the last ball to win the game for BD A (in China).

Since than he was far better performer in the first edition of BPL but selectors constantly ignored him till Haturasinghe gave him his chance. I just do not trust our selectors.
Old August 30, 2018, 09:53 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonmoy.dhaka
I barely watched Bangladesh cricket lately, so I do not profess to know more. However at the time that I did, I always regarded Sabbir as a unique talent.

Sabbir is a game changer, someone with a cool head. Yes he will fail more than he succeeds but with Sabbir in the team I would still watch the game even if the required rate reaches 10-12 runs per over. If he is dropped because of his off the field antiques than I have no problem, but if he is dropped for his performance than I think the selectors are crazy.

I still remember watching him for the first time against Afghanistan (he was playing for Bangladesh A team). He hit 6 of the last ball to win the game for BD A (in China).

Since than he was far better performer in the first edition of BPL but selectors constantly ignored him till Haturasinghe gave him his chance. I just do not trust our selectors.
Did the heat do something to your head? Sabbir isn't a game changer and he can't be even considered a big hitter at all. When did Sabbir win us a match when the run-rate was anywhere close to 10. All our ODI wins that involve going to the last over has one of the seniors play till the very end (Mushfiq mostly).
Old August 30, 2018, 10:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
Did the heat do something to your head? Sabbir isn't a game changer and he can't be even considered a big hitter at all. When did Sabbir win us a match when the run-rate was anywhere close to 10. All our ODI wins that involve going to the last over has one of the seniors play till the very end (Mushfiq mostly).
It is not about the record, it is about the talent! I do not judge a batsman based on his scores but I judge based on his capacity to dominate an opposition.

Yes he did not score in recent past, but he is still miles better than any alternative. I have had the misfortune of watching Ariful bat against windies.. He just throws the kitchen sink without even understanding the delivery.

I remember during Asia cup years back I was constantly complaining about the inclusion of Al-amin and said please pick Rony... I was ridiculed for it.. Today everyone accepts Rony is miles better than Al amin. I can similarly assure you that you will forget about this ariful in 2 years time...
Old August 30, 2018, 09:13 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Dropping Sabbir may be a good decision in the end. It can help lit up team morale.

We rather have now lot of utility players who we can hope to deliver something after so many chances.

And I agree with Roni-UK
Old August 30, 2018, 09:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

Anamul should also be done and dusted too in the international arena!
Old August 30, 2018, 09:41 AM
Test Cricketer

Here is my first choice XI

1. Tamim
2. Liton
3. Shakib
4. Shanto
5. Mushfiq
6. Mahmudullah
7. Mithun
8. Mashrafe
9. Mehedy
10. Rubel
11. Mustafizur
"It is Allah who takes away the souls at the time of their death, and [the souls] of those that do not die during their sleep. He retains those souls for which He has ordained death, whereas He releases the rest for an appointed term. Verily, in this are signs for a people who think deeply." (39:42)
Old August 30, 2018, 10:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Every single match (ODIs) that BD has played since the start of last year, Sabbir has been in.

Getting dropped here breaks that streak.

Some numbers during that period:

22 matches
20 innings
358 runs
18.84 avg
89.94 sr
2x50
hs:65
Old August 30, 2018, 10:54 AM
Cricket Savant

Default And I thought he had potential to be one of the mainstay and future star

Since June 2017, Sabbir played 14 ODIs. Remained not out in one game for 24*. Highest score of 39.
Average of 15.6

He should be considered only for 20 over matches for the A team.
Old August 30, 2018, 11:06 AM
Cricket Savant

Was Sabbir dropped because of this?

Quote:
Sabbir Rahman might be facing another lengthy ban from cricket. He is set to meet the BCB's disciplinary committee on Saturday, for a hearing related to the outburst on social media that allegedly came from Sabbir's official account and directed abuse at a fan following Bangladesh's loss in the second ODI in the West Indies last month.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...er-lengthy-ban
Old August 30, 2018, 11:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
Was Sabbir dropped because of this?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...er-lengthy-ban
"In the last three years, several Bangladesh cricketers have found themselves in trouble off the field. Rubel Hossain was jailed briefly in January 2015 after a fall-out with his girlfriend. Al-Amin Hossain was sent home from the 2015 World Cup for breaking a team curfew in Brisbane. A few months later, Shahadat Hossain also landed in jail for allegedly physically assaulting his house help.

Arafat Sunny got bail last year after serving jail time in a dowry case. Around the same time as the Sunny affair was playing out, Mohammad Shahid's wife had reportedly lodged a complaint with the BCB CEO alleging Shahid of physically assaulting her."

this pretty much sums up our team and the player mentality ...
Old August 30, 2018, 11:06 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Dropping Sabbir for his form and off the field issues makes sense. However, Ariful or Mithun are not the solution at all. I think we have seen enough of Mithun to realize that he does not have what it takes and Ariful did not give me any confidence in the Windies series. I'm all for it to give him a proper series but I'm not sure if Asia Cup is the right choice. But he will replace Sabbir in the XI as there are no other alternatives.

Good squad otherwise. Hoping Rony gets a chance.
Old August 30, 2018, 11:31 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
Dropping Sabbir for his form and off the field issues makes sense. However, Ariful or Mithun are not the solution at all. I think we have seen enough of Mithun to realize that he does not have what it takes and Ariful did not give me any confidence in the Windies series. I'm all for it to give him a proper series but I'm not sure if Asia Cup is the right choice. But he will replace Sabbir in the XI as there are no other alternatives.

Good squad otherwise. Hoping Rony gets a chance.
Who exactly is the solution then? There aren't any better lower order batsmen. Besides, we need them to score at a higher rate than anything.
Old August 30, 2018, 11:36 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
Who exactly is the solution then? There aren't any better lower order batsmen. Besides, we need them to score at a higher rate than anything.
No one really, that's why I didn't list any other alternative. I thought Saifuddin could have been one before but he didn't show much in his chances.

For now, Ariful will do and he deserves a proper chance to show what he has. But I'm not that confident in his abilities. Would love to be proved wrong.
Old August 30, 2018, 12:14 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Hasn't Mosaddek been accused of beating his wife or killing his unborn child? Or am I misunderstanding the latest scandal???

#OneTeam1Dream
Old August 30, 2018, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Liton Das
3. Shakib Al Hasan
4. Mushfiqur Rahim
5. Mahmudullah
6. Nazmul Hossain Shanto
7. Mashrafe Mortaza
8. Ariful Haque
9. Mehidy Hasan
10. Rubel Hossain
11. Mustafizur Rahman

I am very excited to see how Nazmul Shanto performs. I want to play Mash at #7 just to have an impact player there. If he scores, we will get 20-30 extra runs. If not, Ariful/Mehedy can ensure we play 50 overs. If Ariful fails, play Mithun. Nazmul Apu can play in place of Mehedy depending on opposition and their weakness. Rony is a backup pacer if any of the playing ones get injured. I dont see any place for Mosaddek unless Mahmudullah fails spectacularly or worst yet... Shakib gets injured.
Old August 30, 2018, 01:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarufH
1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Liton Das
3. Shakib Al Hasan
4. Mushfiqur Rahim
5. Mahmudullah
6. Nazmul Hossain ShantoM Mithun
7. Mashrafe Mortaza
8. Ariful Haque
9. Mehidy Hasan
10. Rubel Hossain
11. Mustafizur Rahman

I am very excited to see how Nazmul Shanto performs....
Already seen him in A team tour against Ireland, thanks but sorry, selecting him is actually a waste in spot, Mominul deserved the selection.
Old August 30, 2018, 03:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Already seen him in A team tour against Ireland, thanks but sorry, selecting him is actually a waste in spot, Mominul deserved the selection.
Really... how did he do? More details please.
The thing about Mithun is he is already tested and failed. I was speaking from giving chance to next generation thing. Shanto and Afif was highly spoken about when they graduated from under 19.