facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 20, 2009, 06:11 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Five Musketeers

According to BCB decision, from now on ... Ashraful must consult with Mashrafe, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim and Roqibul Hasan before making any crucial on-field or off-field decision.

These 5 cricketers will form the core (senior?) management group of Bangladesh team.

It somehow discredits Ashraful's position as the captain of the team, but on a positive note we will probably see more rational decisions in the future. It might also help to build future leadership.

Ashraful has also lost the authority to make independent decisions on toss. he must consult with coach, manager and computer analyst before the toss.

Ash probably earned it, but IMO, it's too harsh on a captain.

BCB have found an interesting and debatable way to solve the captaincy riddle.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

Not a good idea ..wrong signals to the captain.Either give him complete control or sack him.Dont humiliate him ! This might effect his batting
Old January 20, 2009, 06:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Not a good idea ..wrong signals to the captain.Either give him complete control or sack him.Dont humiliate him ! This might effect his batting
How is it going to effect his batting? He is not consistent enough to begin with. It's a warning and I like that because I don't see anyone replacing him quite yet.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:29 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
What kind of batting? With his kind of average even a tail ender can challenge his batting ability.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Yeah, half measures suck.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Not a bad idea. It clearly shows Mushfiq and Sakib can be the next captain in making. The decision to put Rakibul in there is interesting but they must have seen something in Rakibul.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:19 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Bharat, you are missing one thing, and that is his batting is crap already. It might even motivate him to perform better after such humiliation. But that would be too much to ask for I suppose.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Hopefully our scoreboard doesn't turn out to be "All for one, one for all."

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old January 21, 2009, 01:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain/Dale Steyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal Bhar
Hopefully our scoreboard doesn't turn out to be "All for one, one for all."
you're brilliant.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

I somehow agree with Bharat. if he can't perform the job, simply remove him from the position.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:43 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_dorshok
I somehow agree with Bharat. if he can't perform the job, simply remove him from the position.
BCB cited lack of alternative as the reason for not removing Ash.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:45 AM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
BCB cited lack of alternative as the reason for not removing Ash.
Under the circumstances, a decent try. Ashraful is doing too many things wrong which appear obvious after the event (like batting first in the first ODI), and this may improve things on that front.

Assuming that he is not too egoistic, this will also relax him a bit and help his batting.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:57 PM
Cricket Sage

May be its a right decision may be its not... only time will tell, But its unusual as well as better than doing nothing.

However there is few things to point it out (as some folks already pointed it out)

1. It will undermind the captain's authority and respect further.
2. It may work out few cases, but too many unoffical leaders may also create chaotic and grouping and internal conflict.
3. People with minimum self restpect would quit from captaincy if they were in Ash's shoe.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

Ouch for Ash! TIs gonna give him a big headache now..cudn't the BCB just tell him thisd privately, instead of announcing it to the whole world? He now can't take ownership for any decisions...good or bad. We might have to open five threads for captain-bashing for every loss from now on.Does he seriously have to consult them for every field-placing from now on?

Btw, say bye-bye to good over-rates. With 5 captains, we'd be lucky to finish within an hour of alloted time.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:22 PM
Cricket Sage

.. that may also means that thr managment further minimized the accountability factor... now for mistakes there will be nobody to blame.... and I suspect blame will go more towards the new members than towards Ash or mashrafee.

...if the leader cannot lead, why do we need the that leader anyway.
Old January 21, 2009, 02:17 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
May be its a right decision may be its not... only time will tell, But its unusual as well as better than doing nothing.

However there is few things to point it out (as some folks already pointed it out)

1. It will undermind the captain's authority and respect further.
2. It may work out few cases, but too many unoffical leaders may also create chaotic and grouping and internal conflict.
3. People with minimum self restpect would quit from captaincy if they were in Ash's shoe.
I think its a good idea,if they try to look at it positively they can built,ash can learn something while discussing with his team mates.and will also train the other players. can also bring more unity in the team.

u can say its a bad idea if u look at it negatively,and being positive or negative is ones own will.u can find negativity in the most positive of things and positive in the most negative of thing. it depends on what they want.if they want to look at it positively, then this can do more good than bad.

it doesnt say un official leaders just tells ash to discuss with his team mates b4 making any decisions.
Old January 21, 2009, 06:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: TIGERS !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmate
I think its a good idea,if they try to look at it positively they can built,ash can learn something while discussing with his team mates.and will also train the other players. can also bring more unity in the team.

u can say its a bad idea if u look at it negatively,and being positive or negative is ones own will.u can find negativity in the most positive of things and positive in the most negative of thing. it depends on what they want.if they want to look at it positively, then this can do more good than bad.

it doesnt say un official leaders just tells ash to discuss with his team mates b4 making any decisions.
can't put it much better way than this, completely agree!!
Old January 29, 2009, 02:59 PM
Cricket Sage

There is reason why they call them "Musketeer".

They are supposed to "Musk" our captain's incapability.
Old January 21, 2009, 01:19 PM
Cricket Sage

As they are going with mutiple leaders, I suggest to make it formal and give them area to manage:

For example

Ashraful – Captain (Will flip the coin)
Mashrafee – Vice Captain (Will handle Bowling related issues. Plus strategy issues when fielding)

Sakib – Deputy Vice Captain. (Will handle fielding related issues. Evaluate pitch and make decision if we bat or bowl first. Also handle the media)

Rakibul – Assistant to Captain (Will handle batting related issues. Plus strategy issues when batting)

Rahim – Special Assistant to Captain (Will handle wicket keeping and player motivation issues)

.. or something like that.
Old January 21, 2009, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
As they are going with mutiple leaders, I suggest to make it formal and give them area to manage:

For example

Ashraful – Captain (Will flip the coin)
Mashrafee – Vice Captain (Will handle Bowling related issues. Plus strategy issues when fielding)

Sakib – Deputy Vice Captain. (Will handle fielding related issues. Evaluate pitch and make decision if we bat or bowl first. Also handle the media)

Rakibul – Assistant to Captain (Will handle batting related issues. Plus strategy issues when batting)

Rahim – Special Assistant to Captain (Will handle wicket keeping and player motivation issues)

.. or something like that.
How about a captain of shot selection....anyone qualifies for that in our team?
Old January 20, 2009, 07:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

This imo is a good decision. Ash makes many mistakes on the field and consulting with the others can resolve these. This means that we have co-captains. Siddons really likes raqibal.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:12 PM
Test Cricketer

I like this idea!! Good thinking BCB.. one thing though why he has to consult with so many players? we might end up getting over rate penalty..
Old January 20, 2009, 07:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

interesting solution, don't mind it because it will give shakib some captaincy like experience but hopefully without the burden. does discredit and disrespect ashraful though.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Actually it should've been done already. What I mean by that is a captain do usually talk to his vice-captain and other senior players before making an important decision or the toss. Making him do that now show he clearly hasn't done that all this time. At the same time, it brings more responsibility on the other senior players while Ash gets to make the final call. Some of the things are so obvious I am surprised BCB has to tell him and the team management hasn't implemented them over the years. One of the main stretergy a coach should discuss with the captain is what to do after the toss. Either they don't have a good relationship, or Siddons just overestimated Ash's ability or maybe Ash just don't listen. Whatever the case was, it wasn't healthy. I hope it gets better.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Actually it should've been done already. What I mean by that is a captain do usually talk to his vice-captain and other senior players before making an important decision or the toss. Making him do that now show he clearly hasn't done that all this time. At the same time, it brings more responsibility on the other senior players while Ash gets to make the final call. Some of the things are so obvious I am surprised BCB has to tell him and the team management hasn't implemented them over the years. One of the main stretergy a coach should discuss with the captain is what to do after the toss. Either they don't have a good relationship, or Siddons just overestimated Ash's ability or maybe Ash just don't listen. Whatever the case was, it wasn't healthy. I hope it gets better.
this is a good post, it does make ash look bad that it's been announced like this but it's something that should have been happening ever since he had the captaincy, being that it was announced like this suggests it wasn't happening which tbh is poor captaincy in itself.