facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 22, 2015, 08:25 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion
Default Can we get 50,000 in Mirpur only, let alone outside the country?

People keep bragging about how cricket-crazy we are, but I think Indians in general surpass us with their support for their team. We can all say how passionate we are, but Mirpur stadium hasn't been packed to the rafters for a while if I can remember (or somebody prove me wrong?) No need to say there are transportation issues, that's why they cannot make it to Mirpur, but in MCG's Ind v SA game, I was shocked how literally the entire stadium was packed as if it's an indian home crowd in abroad? We boast with a 25,000 capacity in Mirpur which generally witness many sections of stands empty or unattended, but I think our cricket passion isn't reflected by attendances. A very good example was the BPL attendances as well.
Comments?
Old February 22, 2015, 08:45 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Nothing beats India and Indians its terms of packing stadiums with cricket fans. There are indian decents in aus so are BD but thing about indins thy love the game such passionately that they'l turn up no matter what.

When India come to UK to play England its always mojority full India fans. I know theres alot inidans in uk but still u need the time a passion to go and watch in huge numbers.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:00 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: sabbir, soumya

India game was on a weekend man. Bangladesh game is on a work day (thursday)
Old February 22, 2015, 09:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerblood99
Are you talking ane BD vs AFG, that was fully sold out. And majority were Bangladesh fans.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:17 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful & Tamim Iqbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerblood99
that could be valid reason....also i belive, if some what we can beat srilanka...we will get full house against scot and england for sure.....if we through to quater final.....trust me ..we will get over 20k crowd present that day....if semi, i dont think there will be a ticket left...our politicians and their family by it self will be over 15k....if final....90k crowd will just come from bd..........need performance....need to show that they went there for play.....not selfi ..or sent back home from the squad because of after 10 drama (al amin foul).,,,,,,need something from this world cup....we might even get 70k crowd ability stadium from the bd goverment.....due to better perfomance in the world cup....which will encourage them to built big....because 2015 it will be a busy year for bangladeshl.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:28 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Mirpur is 25,000 capacity and has been full during our NZ whitewashes and ZIM series as well.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 22, 2015, 09:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
People keep bragging about how cricket-crazy we are, but I think Indians in general surpass us with their support for their team. We can all say how passionate we are, but Mirpur stadium hasn't been packed to the rafters for a while if I can remember (or somebody prove me wrong?) No need to say there are transportation issues, that's why they cannot make it to Mirpur, but in MCG's Ind v SA game, I was shocked how literally the entire stadium was packed as if it's an indian home crowd in abroad? We boast with a 25,000 capacity in Mirpur which generally witness many sections of stands empty or unattended, but I think our cricket passion isn't reflected by attendances. A very good example was the BPL attendances as well.
Comments?
We can get 75k+ in Dhaka easily. Mirpus has max capacity of 26k and it's often full. Buying tickets through UCB bank is a pain, that's why many people willing to go in groups can't get tickets.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:10 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

First answer how you gonna pack 50k in a 26k field? We don't have the capacity. This question is an absurd question. You want to have a Football stadium type disaster? I don't know how it stemmed out to a thread. Has to be a history.

We had 100%+ several games at Dhaka and Chittagong.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:36 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I always wondered this too. BD doesn't have any 50K+ stadium so we will never know. But why don't we? If BCB thought they could sell out, wouldn't they have made one by now? They have the money to build a 3rd tier at Mirpur if not a whole new stadium. Personally I doubt they could fill up a 50K, but we won't know until BCB builds one.

As for only 25k being present at the stadium, there's no short of passion in them. The stadium is just as loud as any big coliseums. People are as mad as any other full house. Don't compare BD to India. They got 7 times more people than BD.
Old February 22, 2015, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
I always wondered this too. BD doesn't have any 50K+ stadium so we will never know. But why don't we? If BCB thought they could sell out, wouldn't they have made one by now? They have the money to build a 3rd tier at Mirpur if not a whole new stadium. Personally I doubt they could fill up a 50K, but we won't know until BCB builds one.

As for only 25k being present at the stadium, there's no short of passion in them. The stadium is just as loud as any big coliseums. People are as mad as any other full house. Don't compare BD to India. They got 7 times more people than BD.
The original cricket home, now Bangonandhu Stadium, had a capacity of 55K which went down to 36K after renovations in the 90s.

In the 80s, when I used to watch cricket there, it used to be packed to the rafters when we had one of those rare international games. 50K+ for sure.
Old February 24, 2015, 04:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Even in premier league cricket match- Abahani vs Mohammedan - I witnessed packed stadium in 90s. There was this game (I forgot whether it was one of the Asia cup match) BD vs Pakistan in 90s - I think it was Athahar who was smashing waqar/akram, first 10 overs 70 runs, then came mustaq ahmed, and morok shuru - stadium was fully packed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
The original cricket home, now Bangonandhu Stadium, had a capacity of 55K which went down to 36K after renovations in the 90s.

In the 80s, when I used to watch cricket there, it used to be packed to the rafters when we had one of those rare international games. 50K+ for sure.
Old February 24, 2015, 04:42 PM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahsan
Even in premier league cricket match- Abahani vs Mohammedan - I witnessed packed stadium in 90s. There was this game (I forgot whether it was one of the Asia cup match) BD vs Pakistan in 90s - I think it was Athahar who was smashing waqar/akram, first 10 overs 70 runs, then came mustaq ahmed, and morok shuru - stadium was fully packed.
I think the match you are talking about was a practice match for ICC trophy back in 97. We scored 50 within 8 overs. It was Athar and Jahangir who were smashing Waqar and Ataur.. We managed 210 or something in 45 overs.

I think Cricket moved from Paltan (Bangobandu) because Football was not cooperating with BCB at all. They insisted on staging football match in the middle of a cricket season and as a result the pitch and the outfield were constantly getting hampered. Football didn't want to stay in Mirpur because it was failing to pull crowds due to its downward performance and lack of transportation. (Now they have moved to Paltan and still cant pull crowds)
So cricket made the sacrifice and moved to Mirpur. BCB rebuilt Mirpur stadium which was originally constructed for football and didn't have much seating capacity.
Old February 22, 2015, 11:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

Even on a sold out games, I always see empty sections and lot of empty seats.
This happens most of the time. Why there are so many empty seats if the game is sold out?
I saw this even in World Cup 2011.
Old February 22, 2015, 11:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyme
Even on a sold out games, I always see empty sections and lot of empty seats.
This happens most of the time. Why there are so many empty seats if the game is sold out?
I saw this even in World Cup 2011.
That's because the view from the lower tier has that annoying fence. So many go to the upper tier for better view and sit on the stairs/empty spaces.
Old February 23, 2015, 12:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
That's because the view from the lower tier has that annoying fence. .
Why the fans simply don't remove/cut the annoying fence. I would. I could just imagine how vexed I would be if I couldn't see Abul running in to bowl his potentially lethal wicket taking delivery. I would be absolutely l-I-v-I-d!
Old February 23, 2015, 12:00 AM
Cricket Legend

And 10-20% tickets are given complementary to VIPS. They hardly come to the matches in time.
Old February 23, 2015, 12:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

I think we could fill up a 80k stadium if there was no hartals, looooooooong queues, traffics etc. India has nearly 2 bil population and they are all over the world. But, we still could give them a run for their money.
Old February 23, 2015, 01:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
I think we could fill up a 80k stadium if there was no hartals, looooooooong queues, traffics etc. India has nearly 2 bil population and they are all over the world. But, we still could give them a run for their money.
That is really not an excuse. India isn't like a first world country as well, and they have their share of unrest, and political turmoil. The excuse of population is crap. More so, we should be filling stadiums easily because we have a higher population density. But still we fail. Why? It's unbelievable how they have full crowds thronging to stands even when their team is bowling in a test match against the opposition on first day!
Anyways, 'the case for our Mirpur stadium is something like nei mamar cheye kana mama bhalo'
Old February 23, 2015, 01:10 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

We've had full house before, quite a few times actually. The most recent I can remember is the Ban vs Pak game in Asia Cup.

I believe we can get 50k easily if the stadiums had that capacity.
Old February 23, 2015, 02:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

It depends on the location, if ICC would have put a match in SCG, I am sure we'd have got near enough to 50,000 ppl for a weekend match.

Similarly, in London, put a match in Lord's or Oval, you will get 30k+.
Old February 23, 2015, 02:11 AM
Cricket Legend

We can get 100,000 in a world cup game here easily, you are forgetting one thing we don't lack is people. I wish we had the stadium, imagine the noise and atmosphere then
Old February 23, 2015, 02:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat_02
We can get 100,000 in a world cup game here easily, you are forgetting one thing we don't lack is people. I wish we had the stadium, imagine the noise and atmosphere then
Agree, we can have our own MCG or Eden Garden, but sadly with the incompetent BCB, we'll never witness that
Old February 23, 2015, 07:19 AM
Banned

Were there not complaints that getting a ticket is very difficult.
Something along the lines that you have to be a customer of a certain Mobile network provider and then you need minimum balance, and then you have to get a code and go to some bank and queue up and show that code to get a confirmation code ?

Dhaka members please enlighten me
Old February 23, 2015, 09:42 AM
Cricket Legend

It's a combination of few factors:

1) Regarding supporters in foreign stadiums (e.g. MCG). India has a population of over 1.4 billion with a significant number of expats. I am pretty sure that there are at least 10 times more Indians in Australia than Bangladeshis.. So it's obvious why one sees more Indian supporters in stadiums. It would be better to compare with Pakistan whose population size is similar to ours..

2) In regards to supporters at home grounds. In all major tournaments, BCB reserves a significant amount of tickets for VIPs, family & friends; many of whom does not end up coming. So sometimes even in completely sold out matches you will see empty seats in the gallery. This is more prominent since our stadiums are not of 80-90 thousand capacity, so even a few hundred open seats sticks out like a sore thumb.

3) Compared to India, popularity of cricket is a recent phenomenon in Bangladesh. It only started gaining mass acceptance since 1997.. Soccer/ football was the No 1 sports for the first couple of decades. Even domestic games between Abahani & Mohammedan had full houses.
Old February 23, 2015, 09:43 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

What happened to the Stadium that they were planning to built In Cox's Bazar with 50K seating capacity? Was it all talk?