facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old June 10, 2007, 05:48 AM
Banned

Default Bengali women: The good, the bad and the controversial.

Pictures of Bengali women from both Bangladesh and West Bengal (just to make Da Ganguly feel at home ).

Khaleda Zia

Hasina Wajid

Old June 10, 2007, 05:58 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Herbert Sutcliffe

I seem to recall a female writer from Bangladesh who had taken refuge in one of the Scandinavian countries in the early nineties. I think her name might have been Tasneem or something similar. She wrote a personal account of being raped and was apparently subjected to much political violence in her own country. I recall and interview of her in the Channel 4 where she was continually smoking while answering questions. Since I had never seen an Asian woman in a sari who smoked before, it was indeed quite a novel image.

Would any of you chaps be able to shed some more light on this writer?
Old June 10, 2007, 08:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Warner
I seem to recall a female writer from Bangladesh who had taken refuge in one of the Scandinavian countries in the early nineties. I think her name might have been Tasneem or something similar. She wrote a personal account of being raped and was apparently subjected to much political violence in her own country. I recall and interview of her in the Channel 4 where she was continually smoking while answering questions. Since I had never seen an Asian woman in a sari who smoked before, it was indeed quite a novel image.

You have mixed up Taslima Nasreen with Mukhtaran Mai, a pakistani woman who was raped.
Old June 10, 2007, 06:27 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:

The lady you are talking about is named Taslima Nasreen. I read in one of her book as she being molested by her uncle as a kid. Unless you were referring to that you might have a fix up as suggested by the person above.

Yes, she became highly controversial and gathered a lot of fame writing about woman's right. Then she said something that hurt religious people's feeling and she was drafted out of the country.

I did not read too many of her writings but I always got the feeling that she just wanted to be famous. Also, my personal opinion about her is that she starts her writing with a valid issue and in analyzing it, she will deliberately reach the wrong conclusion. and she is good at it.
Old June 10, 2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
The lady you are talking about is named Taslima Nasreen. I read in one of her book as she being molested by her uncle as a kid. Unless you were referring to that you might have a fix up as suggested by the person above.

Yes, she became highly controversial and gathered a lot of fame writing about woman's right. Then she said something that hurt religious people's feeling and she was drafted out of the country.

I did not read too many of her writings but I always got the feeling that she just wanted to be famous. Also, my personal opinion about her is that she starts her writing with a valid issue and in analyzing it, she will deliberately reach the wrong conclusion. and she is good at it.
...and from the one book I tried reading of hers, the prose was very ordinary. I got bored and gave up.
Old June 11, 2007, 01:09 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu

yups she was kicked out of bangladesh she is right now in kolkatta west bengal and thinking of settling in india..she doesnt want to go back to bangladesh for obvious reasons and by that i mean for fear of being executed because of her highly anti islamic stance
Old June 10, 2007, 05:58 AM
Banned

Irene Khan, head of Amnesty International

On the far right.

Bangladeshi female military officers. (BD Amazons )

Female officer on far right.

Maybe this girl has more fire in her than some of our cricket players at times.

A patriotic BD tigress!
Old June 10, 2007, 06:09 AM
Banned

Across the border (Da Ganguly...where are you? )

Sushmita in traditional Bengali female dress, Sari.

Bipasha Basu

Old June 10, 2007, 06:09 AM
Club Cricketer

The following is a google search link with the keywords - Bengali Women -
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Unfortuntely, a text search seem to bring up a lot of dating sites containing Indian singles!
Old June 10, 2007, 06:14 AM
Banned

UK Bangladeshi TV presenter, Connie Huq

UK Bangladeshi celebrity, Faria Alam

Old June 10, 2007, 08:16 AM
Street Cricketer

wastn faria alam eriksson' (england's excoach)s girlfriend or two timng him or something
Old June 10, 2007, 09:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

interseting that you avoided the word "ugly" in your thread title.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 10, 2007, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
interseting that you avoided the word "ugly" in your thread title.
No one is "ugly" as such bro.

Allah said in the Holy Quran in Surah Teen "laqad khalaqnal insaana fee ahsani taqweem"

"Indeed we created insaan in the best of moulds"

Ulama have said we should not make fun or ridicule people's physical appearances (though dress is different since that is something people can chose).
Old June 10, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenAsif

Allah said in the Holy Quran in Surah Teen "laqad khalaqnal insaana fee ahsani taqweem"

Ulama have said we should not make fun or ridicule people's physical appearances (though dress is different since that is something people can chose).
i was coyly referring to the sergio leone classic ... are you always this intense bro ?

my two cents: sharmeen lucky by a mile ... get you own picz.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old June 11, 2007, 06:06 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:

There is also a Hadith that goes along the lines, 'Allah is beautiful and Allah loves all that is beautiful'.
Old June 11, 2007, 02:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shoaib THE MAN Akhtar

Quote:
There is also a Hadith that goes along the lines, 'Allah is beautiful and Allah loves all that is beautiful'.
What? So all that are not Miss World are not beautiful? There is another hadith; Allah doth not identify a person by his looks and beauty; but by his inner piety and humility.
I think that is what correlates to Beautiful my friend Warner.
Old June 11, 2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder
There is another hadith; Allah doth not identify a person by his looks and beauty; but by his inner piety and humility.
So.... Hasina and Khaleda are part of this crowd too?
Old June 12, 2007, 05:27 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideWinder
What? So all that are not Miss World are not beautiful? There is another hadith; Allah doth not identify a person by his looks and beauty; but by his inner piety and humility.
I think that is what correlates to Beautiful my friend Warner.
My Dear Sidewinder,

If we decide to meet up and spend an afternoon going through the collected volumes of Tabari alone, we would find at least five thousand hadiths on any given subject either of us would recall. Anything you find in hadith to argue your side of the argument, I could find five others to prove my case, and in retort, you could find ten others to disprove me, and then I could find 20 others to restate my case! That is the beauty of hadith. It doesn't just allow you to see how the prophet would have lived his life, but it is an epistemology that teaches man the art of interpretation, moderation and a codification of life that suits his own purpose.

The hadith and beauty and loving the beautiful can be interpreted in many ways. This particular hadith raises questions about the nature of allah, what the idea of a theistic god comprise of, that god's intent and purpose. One Christian interpretation could well be that like the Bible's saying of God making man in his own image, here, the same Abrahamic god is stating that his creation is beautiful because he is beautiful, so there is nothing but beauty in his creation. So it is asking the man and woman to look beyond the facial scars, the deformed limb, the receeding hairline to the character of the individual. Beauty is equated to goodness here and that goodness is a moral goodness. That is my interpretation anyway.
Old June 10, 2007, 12:50 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tareq Aziz

For West Bengal, you show Celebrities and from Bangladesh, what do u show ????

Hopeless!
Old June 10, 2007, 12:58 PM
Club Cricketer

Faria Alam had apparently slept with Sven a few times whilst also sleeping with another Football Assiciation big wig. She later went to the celebrity big brother house. Not that I am a reader of Hello or OK type paparazzi magazines but she seems to have disappeared from the scandal pages.
Old June 12, 2007, 08:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Me

Quote:
Faria Alam had apparently slept with Sven a few times whilst also sleeping with another Football Assiciation big wig. She later went to the celebrity big brother house. Not that I am a reader of Hello or OK type paparazzi magazines but she seems to have disappeared from the scandal pages.

pelham old chap, i am finally here! as for faria alam i didn't think you'd be one for the gossip colums. did i ever tell you that she is a very distant relation of mine through my brother in law?
Old June 10, 2007, 01:50 PM
Banned

Zahid: Why didn't you show something then?

I don't know any famous West Bengali females except for some actresses.

As for the Bangladeshi women I showed they were heads of one of the 10 biggest countries in the world i.e. Bangladesh (regardless of how corrupt they are) and the head of a global human rights organization, far more important activities than acting.

Anyway just for you.

Bipasha Hayat from Bangladesh.

NB: Is there any need to mention who "slept" with who and I find this offensive and demeaning to the ladies shown on the thread. Can't we speak about something more meaningful such as the role of Irene Khan in human rights, or Konnie Huq's sister potentially becoming the first UK Bangladeshi member of parliament. I would like to request mods to make sure this thread does not become vulgar and trashy about who did "what" with who.
Old June 10, 2007, 11:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Zahid: Why didn't you show something then?

NB: Is there any need to mention who "slept" with who and I find this offensive and demeaning to the ladies shown on the thread. Can't we speak about something more meaningful such as the role of Irene Khan in human rights, or Konnie Huq's sister potentially becoming the first UK Bangladeshi member of parliament. I would like to request mods to make sure this thread does not become vulgar and trashy about who did "what" with who.

Then you should have posted about Faria. Apparently her only claim to fame is being a ****** so you should have left her out to increase the standards of your thread.
Old June 11, 2007, 06:09 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Can't we speak about something more meaningful such as the role of Irene Khan in human rights, or Konnie Huq's sister potentially becoming the first UK Bangladeshi member of parliament. I would like to request mods to make sure this thread does not become vulgar and trashy about who did "what" with who.
Oh, c'mon mate.. take it easy...
relax.

We dont have to talk "meaningful" all the time....
these forum is also meant to be adda...
and where else the adda be ( given most of the members r guys) without the most important topic, THE LADIES.

And this being a Bangladeshi forum, the topic of "Bengali girls" are long overdue.

If you really wanna be meaningful, lets keep Hasina Khaleda out of the topic.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old June 10, 2007, 02:21 PM

...and of course, Faria Alam is popular because of her intellectualism

Last edited by ammark; June 10, 2007 at 02:36 PM..