facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 4, 2014, 06:17 AM
Cricket Legend

Default Ganguly to become Batting Consultant at BCB

After the World Cup Ganguly is set to start coaching in Bangladesh.

Source: http://bdnews24.com/cricket/2014/12/...fter-world-cup

He should be involved in all age level cricket as well.

Old December 4, 2014, 06:38 AM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Why after WC? might as well start now!!!

nevertheless, great news
Old December 4, 2014, 07:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Good news if he concentrated on junior level
Old December 4, 2014, 08:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Three high profile test series (well two test series and one off) after the WC. We need as much help as we can get.

My question is:

"Why hasn't BCB extended citizenship offer to Roach yet?"
Old December 4, 2014, 09:08 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

He should be the ideal batting consultant for our boys. Great news if it's true
Old December 4, 2014, 11:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Bd boys must be glad that now they can do some quality adda with their coach in bangla.
Old December 4, 2014, 12:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

I have been hearing such rumours for decades. Hope it's true.

Need a man of his calibre. We have a full unit now.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old December 4, 2014, 12:43 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

We need a batting coach not consultant. I want js but not gonna happen
Old December 4, 2014, 01:03 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepu
We need a batting coach not consultant. I want js but not gonna happen
Exactly.

I really don't see how Ganguly is going to make any difference as a consultant. Its just a money laundering scheme if you ask me. Bring in Jamie Siddons -if available- to kick-start our stalling Academy/High Performance project and the training of our local coaches.
Old December 4, 2014, 02:10 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ashraful & Tamim Iqbal

After world cup 3 thunder storm coming up (pak,ind,sa) so bd needed something extra...and there u go. ..bd got it. I will say, this is really good for bd batman's...hope they use it right.
Old December 4, 2014, 05:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadim
Why after WC? might as well start now!!!

nevertheless, great news
Michael Bevan will be our batting consultant before WC
Old December 4, 2014, 05:52 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

Waste of money. These short high-profile stints achieve nothing at this level in the long run. BCB needs to ensure that Ganguly does his homework on our batsmen and can offer very specific and tailored suggestions to each of them but I highly doubt that will happen. He'll probably come in, observe a few training sessions and offer some very generic advice and take home bucket loads in return. I do hope he sheds some insight on the mental side of the game and how he was such a strong character on the field.

Like BCF said, more pressing is the issue of the defunct academy and getting a competent coach to take charge of it. Siddons would be ideal. Liton, Shadman, Mosaddek, Nazmul Shanto and even some of the older guys would benefit tremendously from a technician like JS.
Old December 4, 2014, 07:46 PM
Club Cricketer

This is an extremely bad choice because this guy is not a technically good batsman, a ever bd hater in disguise and a dirty politician. The way he treated Tamim and Mashrafee, showed what he could do to us. Pune warriors was failing time and again, he tried all the options, even the team was out of IPL but this culprit didn't give him a chance. I remember Tamim was in very good form that time. Gambhir is real genetleman and same as Dravid, Laxman, Kumbley.

Technically, if it is Dravid, we will be benifitted. The guy is not only one of the technically best batsman ever but also is a real gentleman and good-hearted person.

For us, if you choose someone from sub-continent, then it would better if we take a Srilankan. Because they are extremely professional, always try their best with limited resource and generally stay out of politics. They have also good work ethic. In short, no Pakistani, no indians should be generally allowed.

Last edited by reverse_swing; February 21, 2015 at 01:39 PM..
Old December 4, 2014, 08:00 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

^ well said. Ganguly has a very big ego. He got in trouble with a lot of people including players, coaches, and other officials.

I would have been more happy with Dravid. He is a real gentleman, has very strong work ethic, extremely solid batting technique and one of the finest batsmen of the modern era.

But Ganguly gets the nod because he is Bengali. I would be happy if the players just learn the fighting and aggressive nature from him. Not expecting much technique wise.
Old December 4, 2014, 08:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
Originally Posted by affan_ayan
This is an extremely bad choice because this guy is not a technically good batsman, a ever bd hater in disguise and a dirty politician. The way he treated Tamim and Mashrafee, showed what he could do to us. Pune warriors was failing time and again, he tried all the options, even the team was out of IPL but this culprit didn't give him a chance. I remember Tamim was in very good form that time. Gambhir is real genetleman and same as Dravid, Laxman, Kumbley.

Technically, if it is Dravid, we will be benifitted. The guy is not only one of the technically best batsman ever but also is a real gentleman and good-hearted person.

For us, if you choose someone from sub-continent, then it would better if we take a Srilankan. Because they are extremely professional, always try their best with limited resource and generally stay out of politics. They have also good work ethic. In short, no Pakistani, no indians should be generally allowed.

^ Way to generalize bro.

I agree with the sentiment that Ganguly isn't a good choice for batting coach, not because of his nationality, but because he can not help our batsmen. He's not that competent as a coach. Some one like Stuart Law or Jamie Siddons would have been a better choice. I'd say even Bulbul is a better coach than Ganguly.

Last edited by reverse_swing; February 21, 2015 at 01:36 PM..
Old December 4, 2014, 08:56 PM
Cricket Legend

One must also realize even if Ganguly has 3/10 knowledge in batting coaching, whenever he will talk students will listen. Especially if he coaches age group teams he is bound to inspire. No hiding the fact he's one of the all time batting greats at least in ODI's. He must be knowing sth that our batsmen can learn. Not to mention probably the best ever Indian captain.

But having said all that i do agree a Jamie Siddons or Gordon Greenidge on more full time assignment at all age group levels would be more productive. One or two days of advice isnt enough. Siddons had to spend years to go get basic ideas through to his students. Personally dont think BCB needs to spend so much, a low profile yet knowledgeable person would do.

But once in a while the likes of Wasim Akram, Ganguly coming in for clinics etc is never a bad idea. Always puts the inspiration meter up.
Old December 4, 2014, 08:59 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Adam Gilchrist

Quote:

Wasnn't mashrafe the guy who gave away 26 odd runs in final over and their team lost the match in IPl?? I dont remember which season though.

Last edited by reverse_swing; February 21, 2015 at 01:36 PM..
Old December 4, 2014, 11:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Not sure if this may been said but apparently Haturi banned players from eating rice or something?
Old December 5, 2014, 12:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Not sure if this may been said but apparently Haturi banned players from eating rice or something?
about time. that stuff is useless, nutritionally.

occasional birani n polau only :P
Old December 5, 2014, 03:10 AM
Cricket Guru

I totally agree with affan_ayan. Ganguly is big headed and a BD hater -despite his playing club cricket in BD and sharing the same language. He has never passed up an opportunity to criticize Bangladesh and has always down played our success on the field.

Ganguly is one of those cricketers who has massively over achieved himself. His technique against genuine quicks was terrible and less I say about his fielding is better. An average of barely 40 and a SR of 70 in ODIs are nothing out of this world.

As some have already said, and if we absolutely must "hire" a consultant, Rahul Dravid or Tendulkar would be a much better option.

By the way, Ganguly is yet to say anything positive about the real prince of Kolkata Shakib Al-Hasan.
Old December 5, 2014, 03:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke
Wasnn't mashrafe the guy who gave away 26 odd runs in final over and their team lost the match in IPl?? I dont remember which season though.
Possibly but FB do go for runs sometimes (in a T20) -even Dale Steyn.
Old December 5, 2014, 04:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
No way!
Old December 5, 2014, 06:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Exactly.

I really don't see how Ganguly is going to make any difference as a consultant. Its just a money laundering scheme if you ask me. Bring in Jamie Siddons -if available- to kick-start our stalling Academy/High Performance project and the training of our local coaches.
good idea.

Quote:

agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
Possibly but FB do go for runs sometimes (in a T20) -even Dale Steyn.

Last edited by reverse_swing; February 21, 2015 at 01:41 PM..
Old December 5, 2014, 07:42 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Adam Gilchrist

Agree with most posters. Dravid,Kumble far better than Ganguly. Ever Dahiya guy who coaches KKR is better.

But those saying Gambhir a gentleman haven't seen much of Gambhir :P
Old December 5, 2014, 08:10 AM
Cricket Legend

All I ask is that Ganguly pass on some of his fighting spirit and aggressive "take-no-crap-from-opposition" attitude to our sissies. He may not have been the most talented batsman against good fast bowling but he sure did pack a punch when cornered. Most of our batsmen have a decent technique. They just need some confidence and a persistent attitude - attributes that Ganguly can hopefully instill.