facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old October 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
Test Cricketer

I heard before he won Nobel prize of Mohammad Yunus and his Grameen Bank: a great idea by a great man. That goes to show that poverty is just a product of capitalim and I hope that his experience could be an exemple for a fair economic system.

Old October 24, 2006, 03:24 PM
Cricket Sage

I don't think anyone can eliminate the poverty. We can just change the definition of provery. Or we can say, we can just increase the standard by which poverty is defined.
Old October 24, 2006, 03:39 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

I think saifur rahman's comment came as the response of Yunus's possibility of starting politics. he felt threatened, thats all.

this is an early warning for Yunus on his venture for politics.
Old October 24, 2006, 03:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I don't think anyone can eliminate the poverty. We can just change the definition of provery. Or we can say, we can just increase the standard by which poverty is defined.
I would describe as poor anyone who is obliged to accept to make a low-paid and unsafe job to satisfy primary needs like food, house, clothes... I think this kind of poverty (resulting from exploitation of workers) could be eliminated, though I'm not an economist and my not-so-good english doesn't help me to explain... I think a good economic system could be the "scandinavian model" that puts together individual freedom, free market and a good stucture of social services. I don't know if it could be spread in the whole world, though.
Old November 27, 2006, 05:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim, Riyad, Ashraful

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061126/...be_happy_money

I think this story belongs here.

Now the real question is:
You think Oswald's wife is cheating on him?
Old November 27, 2006, 01:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest
Blog 1
Blog 2
Blog 3
Blog 4
Blog 5
Blog 6
thebest, thanks for opening my eyes towards this pathetic segment of the society. What a bunch of losers! Elites with middle-class mentality. Reminds me of someone in this forum whose name creeps me out. These guys remind me of the saying "you cannot foolproof anything, there is always a bigger fool waiting to screw it up" ... these guys will complain even if Bangladesh becomes the proverbial utopia.

Old December 10, 2006, 11:05 PM
First Class Cricketer

watch:

The Nobel Peace Prize Award Ceremony at the Oslo City Hall, Norway, December 10.
Old December 11, 2006, 12:23 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Niccolo Machiavelli

Three is no doubt that the poverty of Dr. Yunus has become a matter of history if not the duped Bangladeshi people. He is one of leading businessman and hence richest man in Bangladesh with his several investment projects.
This Nobel prize is nothing but a gimmick. Naive people may belive that it brought glory to Bangladesh but in reality We all have to work hard to turn the wheel of fortune of Bangaldesh. The Nobel prize will not change anything other than his own personal status.
Old December 11, 2006, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by view360
Three is no doubt that the poverty of Dr. Yunus has become a matter of history if not the duped Bangladeshi people. He is one of leading businessman and hence richest man in Bangladesh with his several investment projects.
This Nobel prize is nothing but a gimmick. Naive people may belive that it brought glory to Bangladesh but in reality We all have to work hard to turn the wheel of fortune of Bangaldesh. The Nobel prize will not change anything other than his own personal status.
Well, average people of BD would love to see few more businessman like Dr. Yunus, other than those 'families'. Nobel prize could be a 'gimmick', and no glory for Bangladesh in a sense, but few more Yunus can do more things for Bangladesh which definitely will lead to a real glory for Bangladesh I believe.

And yes, we all have to work hard to turn the wheel of fortune of Bangladesh, couple of Yunus may not be enough.
Old December 12, 2006, 05:24 AM
Test Cricketer

I watched the programme live in Oslo city hall.It was great.If you want,I can post some picture from his Cnn interview and mosal misil.We were not allowed to pick photo in Oslo city hall.
Old December 13, 2006, 07:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by view360
Yes may be you are right. May I ask you something?
1. How much you have contributed to Bangladesh? Both physically and financially?
2. If you ever live in Bangladesh did you repaid the money that people of Bangladesh paid for you to grow up.

Nobel Prize would not change anything to him. It came to late for him. He is already well known all over the world. He may the most well known noble winner from sub-continent (that include Tagore and Amratya Sen).

Now some other thing to let you know
1. Grameen Phone: One of the focal point of attack on Grameen Bank on profit. Grameen Bank subsidiary own less than 15% of the company while Telenor is 63% (if I remember correctly) owner. Only a fool would believe GB has the excutive power to implement their policy on Grameen Phone
2. GB's interest rate: It is true they charge much higher than commercial bank. The question should be ask why commercial bank could not attract customer with less interest rate. GB is making profit because they have high rate of return (98%) though they lend money without any collatarel. Why commercial bank are failing. Contarary to media report (a very negligible) neither Grameen Bank nor BRAC ever charge any thing to borrower's family after the borrower died.
3. In his speech Dr Younis claim that 56.4% of Grameen Bank family are living over poverty level. For the sake of argument even if we consider that that he exaggerated we can safely say that 25% of the families leave behind poverty now. Do you know how much poverty we reduced in last 35 years. It is 8 % only (48% was in 1971 now around 40%).
It is easy to become an arm chair critique but very difficult to do the things done in the real world.
I always feel proud to be country man of Dr younis, Fazle Hasan Abed than Sk Hasina or Khaleda.
You know what is the proudest day for me in the foreign country? It is 14th October when I was entering my lab all my lab mate congratulate me for being countryman of Dr Younis. It was like almost a guard of honor. My professor came to desk to congratulate. There are very few days in my life when I was so happy so proud to be a Bangladeshi.

To Mr Khan, lucky You. I would love to have the picture
Old December 13, 2006, 07:36 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well, at the beginning TelNor had 54% share of GP. Marubeni(Japan) 25%,GB 20% and GonoPhone( not sure still existed or not but it was a US based firm formed by some desi expatriates) around 5%. As TeleNor bought Marubini's stake so officially they now have around 80% share and unofficially more than 85% share of GP. I was in GP 6 years ago. Don't wanna disclose more.

Old December 13, 2006, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

oopsi...wrong thread..
Old December 13, 2006, 02:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

wow he was with sharon stone...

http://www.prothom-alo.org/index.new...php?nid=MjI3MQ==
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 13, 2006, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Yup, looks like he's doing fine with the women too

Angelica Houston and Sharon Stone, not bad, not bad.

Old December 13, 2006, 05:53 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

What about this picture?? Younus seems to be very popular among stars