facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 20, 2012, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Default psychological states of a player

I personally believe that the new generation of cricketers have crossed the psychological barriers which was preventing our players from any success. Cricket is one of the hardest sports, tennis only comes close to it. The mental torture can destroy any player. A typical example would be Ashraful. Ashraful suffers from lack of visualisation. Visualisation- is a powerful technique, for example helps batmen to understand the value of a long inniing. Through visualisation a batsmen is able to map out how his going to approach a particular approach. For example, your team is 205/3 and you need 70 more runs in 20 overs, a batsmen would map out that he needs to take singles and twos to ensure a win. Although, the match aint over, the player would be more relaxed. Whereas if a player comes in that positiion and there's only 10 overs left. The chances are that the pressure will easily overwhelm him . I myself could only see tamim and nasir mapping out how they would go out to bat in the context of the game. However, its virtually impossible for a bangladeshi player to visualise. However, through BPL bangladeshi's have really succeeded to visualise through the whole innings.

Another suggestion is anxiety. As a sportmans or any other profession its natural to have anxiety. However, I doubt that bangladeshi players yet to convert this normal anxiety to a competitive challenging anxiety. Anxiety is also another hard aspect to master. The only options we have to tackle anxiety is to make sure that we our players are playing in competitive domestic leagues. The more they practice with stars, the easier it would be for them to be more challenging. Another way to tackle this is to move from the comfort zone. The only way I could see the players away from their comfort zone, is by creating pitches that have a lot of bounce. Moreover, have more 4 days matches in the domestic league. This way we can see which players can cope mentally.. And which players can't cope at all. The bouncy pitch would challenge the mental strength of both batsmen and bowlers becuase (1) batsmen are more used to facing heavily spin relied attack. Therefore they would need to change their strategy from point one (batsmen would think on how to approach a fast bowler- at the moment our players would get beaten blue and black by any quality fast bowler). (2) bowlers would understand beauty of the ball, pitch and weather.

Have a read guys. Its my first ever speech/article.. Make comments and do go easy on me. And do correct any mistakes. Since I do psychology A-Level, I tried to make a link between my course and cricket

Last edited by revolver; March 21, 2012 at 03:31 PM..