facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 14, 2009, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib
Default Troubling Anecdote about SN

Quote:
A few weeks ago when Bangladesh took on Zimbabwe at home, Shahriar Nafees was spotted at an ice cream parlour in Banani. He walked in, pony tail, beard and all looking like a desi version of Robin Hood. As he entered a tall strapping man well known to cricketing community in Bangladesh greeted him with a pat on the back, he asked him what he'd like to eat, but Nafees politely declined, instead paying for his ice cream himself. They stood and chatted idly and as it so happened that day Bangladesh beat Zimbabwe in Mirpur, with Shakib blitzing a century of 70 odd balls. The tall man asked him if he saw the game and the match-winning century, to which Nafees replied nonchalantly, "I didn't even know there was a game on." With that dismissive reply he bid his adieu and left. If that is how he feels about the national team he was once part of and now seems set to join again then all one can say is, "we're better off without them."
Source:
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=117749

Old December 14, 2009, 02:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

already being discussed in other threads...
Old December 14, 2009, 02:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizvi
already being discussed in other threads...
Still it deserves a thread on its own. I didn't even notice it because of this obsessive compulsive disorder by some neatfreak members of taxonomically ordering each and every frickin threads.

-----------

Now, as far as the story is concerned: WHO CARES?! Let's not blow it out of proportion. A player can't even walk into a ice cream parlor without being put on the spot and being crucified next day? Only one thing matters is how one performs in the field. Damn he can talk garbage about the whole country but if he goes to the crease and yanks a century then who the hell are we to complain? So let's not judge a player by the level of his patriotic litmus. If a player can perform, then he plays. If not, then not. End of story. Period.

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old December 14, 2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

I now feel hanging SN for treason
Old December 14, 2009, 02:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM

Now, as far as the story is concerned: WHO CARES?! Let's not blow it out of proportion. A player can't even walk into a ice cream parlor without being put on the spot and being crucified next day? Only one thing matters is how one performs in the field. Damn he can talk garbage about the whole country but if he goes to the crease and yanks a century then who the hell are we to complain? So let's not judge a player by the level of his patriotic litmus. If a player can perform, then he plays. If not, then not. End of story. Period.
Well said.

To everyone, please let the players have their lives.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Is it mandatory for an ex-national team player to know the team's current fixtures to be eligible for selection in future?
Old December 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
Cricket Sage

If the reporter thinks that not watching BD game is a crime for an ex national player and joining ICL is close to a treason to the country, then I suggest why he is waiting his time looking for taboid news in icecream parlor?

I suggest this reporter rather do some real research and find the time-line about how the players revolted, who were behind the scence, where the connunication brokem what BCB could have done, how much pressure was inserted by BCCI, etc and let the readers of his investigative report to decide who are the real traitor of the country.
Or At least, a reaserch on how many explayers really follow BD games and who stop following it? Even further more, it would be nice to know about other sports (soccer, volleyball, kabadi, shooting, hockey, etc) and other ex-national players.

Only then I will have a real perspective how severe crime SN have done to his country.

To me what the reporter did is just an attempt of cheap pot shot at SN without much reasoning, evidence, background or credibility to back it up.

Last edited by Fazal; December 14, 2009 at 03:28 PM..
Old December 14, 2009, 03:23 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Yes this is certainly concerning. Why was Nafees eating the Ice Cream by himself? Why did he not bring in his family? From what I heard, he was eating Ice Cream with Mahanti(the foxy lady commentating at those ICL games). Did I mention that he was only spoke Hindi during that whole incident?

Also, why did Nafees not take the free offer from the tall gentlemen? Does he think he is better than the rest of us by not accepting free offer? How dare he refuse such an offer!

Last, but most importantly, we must investigate why he chose to eat Ice Cream on that very day when Bangladesh had played Zimbabwe. I bet he was at the stadium all along cheering for Mugabe's squad, but little did he know that his futile ICL voodoo would be useless against the likes of Shakib Al Hasan. In fact, I heard from a very reliable source that they saw a long haired bearded figured man talking with the whole Zimbabwe squad before the match. In fact, a guy saw one of Mugabe's personal assistant to be handing the Bearded man a big brown bag with a big "$Z" written on it on that Ice Cream parlor. From the looks of the bag, he estimated that there must be atleast a million Zimbabwe Dollar in it.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Still it deserves a thread on its own. I didn't even notice it because of this obsessive compulsive disorder by some neatfreak members of taxonomically ordering each and every frickin threads.

-----------

I agree that we should not make a big deal of it this.

I just got a little worried after reading this news, because the fans go crazy when the Bangladeshi players are playing, but a cricketer like SN does not have as much passion. I would think a cricketer has more stakes in these games, even if they are not playing because their friends are playing in the game. This kind of indifference by a player is a reflection of their selfish mindset. Moreover, when you are part of a team that represent 150 million of your fellow countrymen, passion is a necessary ingredient along with professionalism.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:29 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonoy
Yes this is certainly concerning. Why was Nafees eating the Ice Cream by himself? Why did he not bring in his family? From what I heard, he was eating Ice Cream with Mahanti(the foxy lady commentating at those ICL games). Did I mention that he was only spoke Hindi during that whole incident?

Also, why did Nafees not take the free offer from the tall gentlemen? Does he think he is better than the rest of us by not accepting free offer? How dare he refuse such an offer!

Last, but most importantly, we must investigate why he chose to eat Ice Cream on that very day when Bangladesh had played Zimbabwe. I bet he was at the stadium all along cheering for Mugabe's squad, but little did he know that his futile ICL voodoo would be useless against the likes of Shakib Al Hasan. In fact, I heard from a very reliable source that they saw a long haired bearded figured man talking with the whole Zimbabwe squad before the match. In fact, a guy saw one of Mugabe's personal assistant to be handing the Bearded man a big brown bag with a big "$Z" written on it on that Ice Cream parlor. From the looks of the bag, he estimated that there must be atleast a million Zimbabwe Dollar in it.
Lol! Wow! A classic from tonnoy. Btw it's Mayanti not Mahanti. Get your facts straight kid.

Old December 14, 2009, 03:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Again, I think there is a legitimate concern about the quality of the report, when a reporter is harassing/disturbing you in a ice cream shop, it's easy to become rude...
Old December 14, 2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Lol! Wow! A classic from tonnoy. Btw it's Mayanti not Mahanti. Get your facts straight kid.
Damn, I knew I'd get it wrong. Sorry boss, should've asked you first. :P
Old December 14, 2009, 03:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Nafees doesnt like to talk about cricket, when he came to my Dad's restuarant he wasnt involved in the cricket conversation, unlike Ash, Saluhuddin and Habibul.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
I agree that we should not make a big deal of it this.

I just got a little worried after reading this news, because the fans go crazy when the Bangladeshi players are playing, but a cricketer like SN does not have as much passion. I would think a cricketer has more stakes in these games, even if they are not playing because their friends are playing in the game. This kind of indifference by a player is a reflection of their selfish mindset. Moreover, when you are part of a team that represent 150 million of your fellow countrymen, passion is a necessary ingredient along with professionalism.
It is a share holder of a company that follows the stock performance more so than an employee. Being a cricket fan is not a requirement to being a player. Shakib didn't even start following cricket at a much later age.

There are too many factors to this story that leave it open to interpretation based on how you feel about SN.

Professional athletes are also human at the end of day. Its on thing to comment on on field temperment or during a press conference or an official interview but outside of that what they say or do should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

Don't worry Nafees haters. Judging by the training picture he looks awfully unfit to play international cricket. On the other hand Riyad is beating him and even has the time to look back (like Usain Bolt).

http://www.banglacricket.com/html/picture.php?vm=862
Old December 14, 2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
Yes, Yes. We should certainly lynch him on the basis of hearsay.
I mean who does he think he is? Jesus?

Well, if he wants to look like Jesus, he might as well get the same outcome as Jesus...
Old December 14, 2009, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily star
He walked in, pony tail, beard and all looking like a desi version of Robin Hood

whatta report....desi version!!
Old December 14, 2009, 03:38 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Agreed, well stated, hope they will change.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

All I expect from him is a very good performance with his bat, on the cricket field.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:43 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

SN has a big ego and it has troubled the team in the past. He has to leave the ego behind this time around and start performing against top teams if he gets a place in the national team.

A performance on the field speaks much louder than rubbish egoistic talks off the field.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:45 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I heard from a tall man that ....
I saw a battu man .....
The guy behind the counter said that ....

Bhuwa source!!! The article's creditablity is next to nil.

What introduction journalists need now a days to send a message across. If these are the sources of the esteemed daily star reporter Nader Rahman Mia...

Then Daily star is a tabloid or liable to get their rear dragged in to the court.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:48 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Then Daily star is a tabloid or liable to get their rear dragged in to the court.
Well, I always think that if it is not from shomokal, then you shouldn't bang your pora kopal. That's what I think.

Old December 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim IK/Nasir Hossain

Quote:
Originally Posted by uss01
Don't worry Nafees haters. Judging by the training picture he looks awfully unfit to play international cricket. On the other hand Riyad is beating him and even has the time to look back (like Usain Bolt).

http://www.banglacricket.com/html/picture.php?vm=862
first of all they are jugging not racing. second riyad is not even on the picture unless he is the guy behind Nayeem.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
Really eh? its treason to not follow cricket regularly? Please put me in front of the firing squad.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

"He walked in, pony tail, beard and all looking like a desi version of Robin Hood"

What he wears or how he keeps his hair and beard is no one's business. There was no point in describing SN like that in the report. The jounalist was just trying to spice things up. He lost his credibility for that alone. I hate it when fans make celeb's lives their own business. For f*** sake leave tiger woods alone, leave SN alone. What they do outside of the field on their own time is none of our business. If SN scores the runs expected off him on the field, it does not matter if he is F***** a w**** in the middle of motijheel, or looks like a fat cow. People complaining about his behaviour off the field need to get a life. I am more interested in what he can produce inside the field as a batsman. Also I dont see any problem with having an ego as long as that does not affect the team negatively. On the contrary having an ego would make him perform a lot better when his position is in question.