facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 12, 2010, 09:35 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Road to top 5: Where does Bangladesh stand now?

Bangladesh coach believes Tigers have the potential to be ranked within top 5 within next few years. The ascendancy will start within next 2 years. Do you think we have the players to be a top 5 circket nation within such a short space of time?

Signs are there, but I think we lack firepower in bowling to be ranked above 8, forget top 5.

IMO, We need two quality fast bowler or fast medium bowler (better than Mashrafe or at least level par with him) to have any chance to start the ascendancy. Without a revamped pace department we will continue to be competitive but will struggle to win matches in all format.

I can see the signs of a world class batting department in Bangladesh, we have a world class spinner in Shakib, Mahmudullah has the potential in Tests and if Razzak can regain his sharpness in ODIs, we wil start winning matches against top teams provided we have a decent pace attack.

If I was in BCB, I would have carried out regular country wide talent hunt and sent 4-5 most promising U-15 to U-17 pace bowlers to Australia for 3-4 years long training in Commonwealth Bank Academy.

We are in desperate need of quality pace bowlers.

Last edited by Miraz; January 12, 2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old January 12, 2010, 09:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

This is problem we have had for a long long time. Barring Mashrafe, we have not produced a single world class pacer yet, and that is very disappointing after 10 years in test arena.
Still, I believe with our current squad +1 world class pacer+ another proper all rounder[ Mahmudullah/Nayeem seems to be halfway there] would be pushing for wins against any team on any day.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:14 AM
Cricket Legend

good to know that you found out the problem and also the solution for our bowling department. if only bcb members had a brain like yours then our problem would be solved :S
Old January 12, 2010, 10:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Champaka is a proven material. He is no Mohsin Kamal. He will get the young ones and rough them up and produce diamonds. I have high hopes. "Yes, we can."

Rubel and others had been drafted too early. But these boys are not from the generation of Tushar, Aftab, Alok. They will learn and adapt. Signs are there. Mean while the batsmen needs to guard the fort. With flat tracks all over the world, I don't think that would be a problem.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cricket Legend

BCB now should work hard department by department. They sack fielding coach but where's the intention of developing this department? same question to bowling department.

Why we just cant stop importing coach and etc only from sub-continent? all the coaches that have been blessing for us are out side of this region. and they really showed professionalism towards their respective job/sector.( Davegot half blood of Aussie :P ) dint we deserve a bowling coach out of sub-continent?
Old January 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

মরার আগে যদি বাঙলাদেশকে ৫ এর মধ্যে দেখে যেতে পারবেন না...অন্য কোনো দেশ যদি ক্রিকেট খেলা না ছাড়ে তবে আমরা টপ ৮ ঢুকতে পারবো
Old January 12, 2010, 10:22 AM
Banned

Yes I agree that there is definitely a need for decent pace department but I do not believe that by sending a few pace bowlers in Australia, we will resolve this for the long term. We need to identify what is going wrong. Talha, Shahadat, Rasel, Rubel et al have shown promising ability but could not materialise it. My observation is that it is not their actual physical or cricketing inability but rather an inability to use their brain. For example, inability to deliver correct ball where situation demands, inability to learn new deliveries, correct own weaknesses, find weaknesses of opposition and bowl accordingly etc. This ability comes along with personal development and education from childhood; there is no short term fix. So BCB should consider whether the potential talent have the ability to use their brain beside their cricketing skills. Alternatively, they can introduce a short /medium term educational course focusing on sport science in state run cricket academy. These problems will not be fixed by sending players abroad or hiring foreign coaches alone; our problems are unique and derived from our socio-economical status.
Old January 12, 2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

select 10 promising bowlers, invite some fast bowling coach
from pak or saf or Aussie and let them trained who year around or send them to diff country academy for pratice.

My picks are

subhashis Roy
rubel
shafiul
talha
najmul
shahadat
mashrafe
emon Ahmed
Farhad Reza/ sharif/ zia---potential to be all rounder
sajedul Islam

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 12, 2010, 10:52 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
IMO, We need two quality fast bowler or fast medium bowler (better than Mashrafe or at least level par with him) to have any chance to start the ascendancy.
Not two, we need atleast 3 and one must be much better than Mash & the two of his grade would do. Mash was a good find for us as a newborn cricketing nation at that time, but we cannot deny the fact that he isn't at par with the best bowler of a test playing nation.

The rest looks ok and can only get better with time.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

we gotta see how they perform against new zealand and then england before i can say where we are..after watching the tri series..even though we have closed the gap with those 2..we still have to improve in all areas of the game..i wanna really see how the batsmen play against strong pace teams like england and new zealand..i think this will be a true test for our batsmen who have major problems against short pitched bowling..
Old January 12, 2010, 11:42 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

I think batting-wise, we are almost there. We need another world-class spinner; we already have Shakib. However, there is no shortage of good spin-bowling prospects. In contrast, we don't have that many promising pace-bowling prospects. We need to focus on this area, if we want to improve. Making a few bouncy wickets and hiring a good fast-bowling coach might be a good start.

Having said that, we might be almost ready to make that last step. India had only one good pacer (Kapil Dev) in their 1983 WC winning side. SL also had one good pacer (Vaas) in their 1996 WC winning side. (They had Muralitharan, though. Plus, Jayasuriya was unstoppable in that WC, although he scored only 9 in the finals.) Our batting is almost there. However, our fielding leaves a lot to be desired. We would be hard pressed to win any match with our current fielding. SL won the WC primarily with their batting and fielding.

An interesting tidbit, SL won a total of 4 matches in 5 WC, before winning it all in 1996. Bangladesh can make that step, if proper steps are taken.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi_mc69
মরার আগে যদি বাঙলাদেশকে ৫ এর মধ্যে দেখে যেতে পারবেন না...অন্য কোনো দেশ যদি ক্রিকেট খেলা না ছাড়ে তবে আমরা টপ ৮ ঢুকতে পারবো
এইটা মাইনতে পাইরলাম না। আমি এত তাড়াতাড়ি মরতে চাই না।

Just kidding. I know life and death are completely in the hands of the Almighty and there is no guarantee that I'll even take the next breath.
Old January 12, 2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
we gotta see how they perform against new zealand and then england before i can say where we are..after watching the tri series..even though we have closed the gap with those 2..we still have to improve in all areas of the game..i wanna really see how the batsmen play against strong pace teams like england and new zealand..i think this will be a true test for our batsmen who have major problems against short pitched bowling..
Our batsmen are not very good at handling pace on bouncy wickets. However, that will not be an issue as the WC will be played in subcontinental wickets.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Our batsmen are not very good at handling pace on bouncy wickets. However, that will not be an issue as the WC will be played in subcontinental wickets.
i think it will be quite a worry..remember when SA was in BD they really rocked our batsmen with their short pitched bowling and those pitches were slow..good pacers can make life out of any pitch and obviously BD wont struggle with sri lanka and india because those 2 dont have good pace attacks but lets see how they can handle NZ and england..remember even against the WI the batsmen struggled against the pace of kemar roach..yes they have improved against pace bowling but it is still a concern
Old January 12, 2010, 12:29 PM
Cricket Legend

the problem with bd is that they dont know how to finish of a job
Old January 12, 2010, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
.remember even against the WI the batsmen struggled against the pace of kemar roach..yes they have improved against pace bowling but it is still a concern
even Ricky Ponting and Aussie batsmen struggled against Kemar Roach.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi

Quote:
.remember even against the WI the batsmen struggled against the pace of kemar roach..yes they have improved against pace bowling but it is still a concern
even Ricky Ponting and Aussie batsmen struggled against Kemar Roach.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic boy

I was not joking, the guy bowls 155kph, he got Watson out for single figures on numerous occasions, Ricky ponting had problems playing him. watch some WI-AUS Matches or GTFO
Old January 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi

I was not joking, the guy bowls 155kph, he got Watson out for single figures on numerous occasions, Ricky ponting had problems playing him. watch some WI-AUS Matches or GTFO
arreh I laughed remembering Ponting's pathetic situation after facing Roach in recent test match.
yes I know how good is Kemar Roach.... nothing offense to your post!
Old January 12, 2010, 12:52 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Bangladesh coach believes Tigers have the potential to be ranked within top 5 within next few years. The ascendancy will start within next 2 years. Do you think we have the players to be a top 5 circket nation within such a short space of time?

Signs are there, but I think we lack firepower in bowling to be ranked above 8, forget top 5.

IMO, We need two quality fast bowler or fast medium bowler (better than Mashrafe or at least level par with him) to have any chance to start the ascendancy. Without a revamped pace department we will continue to be competitive but will struggle to win matches in all format.

I can see the signs of a world class batting department in Bangladesh, we have a world class spinner in Shakib, Mahmudullah has the potential in Tests and if Razzak can regain his sharpness in ODIs, we wil start winning matches against top teams provided we have a decent pace attack.

If I was in BCB, I would have carried out regular country wide talent hunt and sent 4-5 most promising U-15 to U-17 pace bowlers to Australia for 3-4 years long training in Commonwealth Bank Academy.

We are in desperate need of quality pace bowlers.
bowling obviously matters a lot. However, the batting order needs to be little bit polished. the problem is that we always stuck up in middle overs. rakibul is a very good player. He has consistency. But nowdays 40 runs of 90 balls 50 runs of 100 is not valuable anymore. Samething with Ashraful. He changed his batting style like rakibul. But now it ends up with 260-270 runs at the end instead of scoring 300+ runs. Ash used to be masterclass batsman of bd incase of taking singles. However, nowdays it looks like he wants to stay wicket more often and make his avg upto 30+.Wasting too many balls! Defensive mindset! But is it gonna help? the coach still can't fix the opening pair. tamim's is the who can hit boundaries at anytime. However he still loves to play airy shots.
Old January 12, 2010, 12:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic boy
arreh I laughed remembering Ponting's pathetic situation after facing Roach in recent test match. nothing offense to your post!
Ah then misunderstanding, sorry bhai
Old January 12, 2010, 12:54 PM
Cricket Legend

its ok...thanx
Old January 12, 2010, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Build a pace foundation. Like MRF.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:02 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

I am not really worried about this matter: if we focus on winning every match we play regardless of opposition: the ranking is just acknowledgement on paper .

Our bowling is not that bad: one tri-series on flat pitches proves little!
Old January 12, 2010, 01:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Cricket culture of a country is very much dependent on kind of pitches that country has. This was the reason West Indies produced so many great fast bowlers and India produced so many great spinners.

So, unless BCB agrees to make sporting pitches for domestic league matches, I don't think our fast bowling stock will rise soon.