facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 16, 2010, 02:59 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Thanks for the article. Some great questions and great responses. Just wanted to point out one mistake. Shafiul can swing the ball bowl ways and reverse it as well. I think that is supposed to say 'both' ways.
Reverse swing is different from inswing and outswing (which covers swinging the ball both ways). "Once the ball becomes older and more worn, it will begin to move in the opposite direction to where it would usually swing with no great change in the bowling grip." Do a search and you will find many articles. I like the one at the BBC site.

Old December 16, 2010, 07:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Great read. Thanks boss.
Old December 16, 2010, 08:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

it seems to me that mash and shafi are the seam bowlers...rubel is the reverse swinger, and nazmul is just a hard working chacha type bowler. in other words, apart from rasel, we don't seem to have any true swing bowlers out of those 4.

but Pont would know better than me.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
it seems to me that mash and shafi are the seam bowlers...rubel is the reverse swinger, and nazmul is just a hard working chacha type bowler. in other words, apart from rasel, we don't seem to have any true swing bowlers out of those 4.

but Pont would know better than me.
The best swinger of the ball in the country is Mahbubul Alam (Robin)
Old December 16, 2010, 09:03 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
when nazmul was in for hw was able to swing the ball inwards as much robin can swing outwards.

too me out swing-wise robin swings the most. in-swing wise nazmul used to swing the most.
Old December 18, 2010, 06:35 AM
Banned

i was watching the third day of WACA test. what a mesmerising show of fast bowling from both the sides and the pull shots! wish we a had a pitch or two like this in our country.
Old December 22, 2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
i was watching the third day of WACA test. what a mesmerising show of fast bowling from both the sides and the pull shots! wish we a had a pitch or two like this in our country.
Same here. Is BCB hearing the clamoring?
Old December 22, 2010, 09:57 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Same here. Is BCB hearing the clamoring?
This has been discussed in BC plenty of times - we don't have the right type of clay to produce fast pitches. In fact even the WACA had been slowing down as the original river from which the clay for its pitches came from had dried up. They found a new source I think. The ICC pitch expert has tried a number of types of soil and clay and we haven't found anything other than "slow & low". I know Nurul Abedin Nobel for a while had a bouncy pitch in the old Chittagong stadium - perhaps we should check where that soil came from.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:20 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
out of the 4 (rather 5) of mash, rasel, nazmul, rubel, shafiul...only rasel is a true swing bowler gaining movement thru the air. but yeah i guess robin is another one.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 25, 2010, 06:56 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: SAKIB AL HASAN

Pont coaching Bangladesh as world cup looms

COUNTY CRICKET: FORMER Essex fast bowler Ian Pont is making a big impression as an international cricket coach.

And the bowling coach has his sights set on helping Bangladesh achieve World Cup glory.

Pont, 49, believes the host country are capable of going all the way, in next year’s tournament.

Since accepting a six-month coaching contract with Bangladesh, he has played his part in helping to transform their cricketing fortunes.

They have claimed seven wins from his first eight One Day International matches, including a 4-0 thrashing of New Zealand.

Prior to Pont’s arrival, Bangladesh had been defeated in 27 out of 29 ODI matches, the worst record in world cricket.

But since then they have lost just one in eight, making them the second best-performing international team, behind India.

Pont told the Gazette: “It’s been great for me so far.

“The level of interest in cricket out there is amazing.

“Anything that is of remote interest cricket-wise goes straight on the back page.

“The people want to know anything and everything about cricket out there.

“When I first arrived at the airport there were lots of bulbs flashing and I turned around wondering if there was someone famous behind me.

“But it turned out there were there for me - they were so excited to see their new bowling coach arrive.”

Pont, who played for Witham in Two Counties League division one in the early 1990s, believes Bangladesh have a good chance of making an impact in the World Cup, which takes place in February.

It will be hosted jointly by India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, for whom it will be their first taste of staging a World Cup.

“I can’t wait,” said Pont, who claimed five wickets on his Essex debut against Somerset in 1985, claiming the prize scalps of Sir Viv Richards and Sir Ian Botham.

“This is the pinnacle of a coaching career to be at the World Cup as a national coach.

“All of the games are at home and the only time Bangladesh are scheduled to be away is in the semi-finals, if they can make it.

“We’ve managed to give them that belief they need to win games and they’ve started to play good cricket.

“I’m one of five coaches there and we’re all from other countries, like Australia and South Africa.

“We’ve found our work ethic and experience in the game is totally different.

“We can change their culture but we can change their attitudes.

“It’s been a case of getting them to believe that they are good enough and it’s always exciting to see things change.”

Pont believes Bangladesh can give plenty of sides a run for their money on their own turf - including England.

Andrew Strauss’s side will take on Bangladesh in the group stages of the World Cup, which begins on February 19.

Pont added: “England will be underdogs against them in the World Cup, with Bangladesh playing in their own back yard.

“It will also be very difficult for the likes of West Indies and the Netherlands.

“They often say in football that the crowd is the 12th man and the same will apply at the World Cup for Bangladesh.

“They are relatively small grounds with a cauldron-like atmosphere - they will cheer every single run.”
Old December 25, 2010, 07:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ashraful,mashrafe,shakib

Just wondering, what happened to Sajidul Islam? I was hoping to see more of him
Old December 29, 2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbir
Pont coaching Bangladesh as world cup looms

[snipped]

Pont, 49, believes the host country are capable of going all the way, in next year’s tournament.

[snipped]
It is good to hear a coach say that. I hope he can make the players buy into the theory.
Old December 30, 2010, 10:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

Dear Moderators do we need this thread to be sticky any more?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old January 7, 2011, 02:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Here is something I would like to highlight:

--
Read the part in bold. I believe it is to our benefit to re-sign Ian as soon as possible. The Board must act now! Remember what happened to McInnes. You do not decide once the contract has expired, you decide way before that. No one waits for a contract to be over before looking for the next gig. I think we should make a concerted effort to let the powers that be know that they must act NOW.
My feeling exactly but first let me say, great interview and article.
As far as getting the mssg to BCB, can't Miraz or Isaam help on this matter? They seem to have some connection with the board and probably would be able to email this article to the BCB highups including Lota.
Or better yet, can you not give this article and ask Dailystar or any other BD daily to release it so Pont's mssg gets accross?