facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 31, 2011, 05:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players
Default Hope for quality upper order batsman to handle the new ball in test cricket looking bleak !!

1.Tamim
2.Imrul
3.SN
4.Rock
If i consider its an ODI this line up looks good as they have decent averages.But if its test cricket then this upper order batting looks really weak.Imrul and Rock seems totally substandard in test level.SN also semi decent.Only Tamim is good there.We need some quality top and upper middle order batsman to face test cricket.Need a good partner for Tamim.I was thinking about some replacement but reserve bench also looking poor.
In our FC cricket hardly we have good quality players to fill up the gaps.Just check the score cards and see almost all team suffer from a top order collapse in our domestic.It seems it will take time to produce quality batsman who can handle the new ball.A team is on the way to WI,i hope this series will give us something.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition UA

Last edited by M.H.Rubel; October 31, 2011 at 06:01 AM..

Old October 31, 2011, 05:42 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Other than Tamim, none of the top 4 batsmen are poor. As long as Tamim maintains his average I don't have any objection against his playing style.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Other than Tamim, none of the top 4 batsmen are poor. As long as Tamim maintains his average I don't have any objection against his playing style.
In top 4 Tamim is the most successfull batsman.If fact he is the only successfull batsman.This is why i do praise him a lot.Just think once if Tamim was not there what was waiting for us in test cricket?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old October 31, 2011, 05:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

naeem and shuvagoto....main problem is a 2nd opener to go with tamim, i reckon naeem and shuvagoto definitely naeem can be trialled at the #3/#4 spots, maybe naeem could be tried as opener even, if they can't find anyone else.....we have riyad, shakib, nasir, naeem, shuvagoto and rahim to take up the #4 to #7 or even #8 spot. surely we can work one of those players into the #3 spot which would leave the 2nd opener spot as the main issue. now out of the guys i just mentioned probably naeem is the only one worth the risk since we've seen a little bit of him and he seems to have the right mentality and ability to stay at the crease a long time at this level and put on runs gradually. wouldn't want to move shakib or rahim up there since they have to much of a work load already and nasir maybe bowling a lot more in the future so will have a big workload. riyad is bowling less often nowadays and naeem is more of a back up spinner to the others atm so they would be the better choices to try and i think naeem is the better top order batsmen out of these 2.
Old October 31, 2011, 06:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

and yeah can't complain about tamim really, an opening batsman averaging close to 40 in test cricket is definitely a good player. even if we can't find a good option for the #2 spot atm we certainly have the players to hammer out a good #3 and #4.
Old October 31, 2011, 06:03 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

JS should come back,he is very patient and played some good inn against many good sides.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old October 31, 2011, 06:53 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

tired hoye gesi ekei kotha bolte bolte...ekhon mone hoy...ekta standard comment likhbo...ar thread e thread e copy paste marbo !
Old October 31, 2011, 07:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naimul_Hd
tired hoye gesi ekei kotha bolte bolte...ekhon mone hoy...ekta standard comment likhbo...ar thread e thread e copy paste marbo !
Naimul Vai,our number 1 problem is batting.So 1 ta post e bar bar dite paren no problem.LOL

Old October 31, 2011, 07:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Some people here are talking about Naeem as test opener.I have seen Naeem playing 2 innings as opener in ODI and 1 innings in test facing new ball.Naeems technique never looked good to me.He has developed survival technique(leave as much as possible and make the ball old) to face the new ball.His technique never ever suits as an opener in test cricket.Hardly he can be considered as #3 batsman.In tests thinking Naeem is a test opener is like a dream to me.He dont have enough courage to open in FC domestic matches how come in test cricket?Opening in test cricket is a tough job.In world cricket lot of reputed ODI openers do not open in test cricket as its a tough job.Opening in test cricket is a specialized job.As far as i remember Michel Slaughter of AUS was a specialized test opener.To me we need to produce some one for test cricket to open with Tamim.

Old October 31, 2011, 07:49 AM
Test Cricketer

I think, Pakistan Series e selector ra batting order ta evabe porikkha kore dekte pare :
1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Jahirul / Zunaed
3. Shuvagoto Hom
4. Naeem Islam
5. Mahmudullah Riyad
6. Mushfiqur Rahim
7. Shakib Al Hasan
8. Nasir Hossain
9. Eilias Sunny
10. Rubel Hossain
11. Shahadat / Shafiul

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Old October 31, 2011, 08:15 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

Rajin is a good option for test

Old October 31, 2011, 08:59 AM
Cricket Sage

To solve our top order batting problems thats going on for a while, I think we need to look forward with new players with new roles than trying old rejects who were tried and failed in the past. The old rejects proved they are not capable to solve that problem even they get their 10th opportunity to do so.

So what does that mean?

SN, Junaid, Rakibul, Ashraful, even Rahim may pot be a long term solution for #3 or #4.

So what we do?

let Junaid, SN, etc fight for opening slot.
let Rahim bat @5 or #6 where he is more comfortable.
let Ashraful (in future) fight for #7, #8 slot.
Promote Naeem (#3) and Nasir in the batting order
Be agressive and try with new players like Hom, Jahirul, Amanul etc
Promote Riyad in #4 when he is back
Even We can prmote Sakib in top order as he used to be successful in top order.

Its time to try with new players with new roles.

To be clear, I am talking about TEST team.

Tring to slove this problem with players who already failed is like trying to mix water with oil when we already know that they cannot be mixed together.
Old October 31, 2011, 09:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

SN is a gone case IMHO
Old October 31, 2011, 09:40 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
SN is a gone case IMHO
Last 5 innings by SN in tests were 50,9,32,50,7.Those figures suggests that SN is not doing bad.IMO in our standard he is doing a decent job.I dont think we have any batsman left who can serve better than SN at this moment.So,I am not interested him now.Yes his batting style is poor but still he is the best from our lot.

Old October 31, 2011, 09:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H.Rubel
Last 5 innings by SN in tests were 50,9,32,50,7.Those figures suggests that SN is not doing bad.IMO in our standard he is doing a decent job.I dont think we have any batsman left who can serve better than SN at this moment.So,I am not interested him now.Yes his batting style is poor but still he is the best from our lot.

The problem with SN is not his technique IMHO. He doesn't have the best of the techniques, I do agree. But his main problem is his temperament. He wants to do a Tamim innings most of the times these days. He is a very good player of the spin while he sucks against pace. He should concentrate on passing the pace overs and attacking the spin overs to score runs.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:36 AM
BD-SL 2017 - LOI Winner

They need to start from the ABC of Test Cricket. First need to know what Test Cricket is then learn how to play it. After playing such a long time still they can't read the match situation. Need to improve their temperament and physical strength to play 5 days game.

Then come technique, shot selection, how to handle new ball, old ball, pace, spin etc. etc......
Old November 2, 2011, 12:01 PM
Cricket Legend

We have huge problem at #2,#3 and #4.
#2: Desperately we need a good test partner for Tamim.We need a specialized test opener.Best options left:
1.Jahurul Islam:I am looking forward about this guy.His recent performance with the bat in short format misdirected the light from him.Now he is at WI.I hope this series will give him a huge boost.
2.Second option to me is Junaid.Most positive thing about this guy is he have good temperament.
3.Third option to me is Nasiruddin Faruk.He is a long term domestic performer like E.Sunny.This guy is performing in our NCL consistently for last 3/4 years.He is a specialized opener for FC matches.I have high hope about this guy.
Some people may suggest SN as a partner of Tamim.But to me he is doing a semidecent job at #3.Moving him up will be a poor decision.
Our A team is at WI now.Any one from Jahurul,Junaid or Nasiruddin become successfull in windies series i want to send him with Tamim in the test against Pakistan.

Old November 2, 2011, 12:08 PM
Cricket Guru

Maybe its genetics, face it Bangladeshis arent cut for batting against pace be it poor or great. Well the majority of us.
Old November 2, 2011, 12:54 PM
Cricket Guru

Rubel bhai...Farhad Hossain is another good option for opening or one down. He is a consistent performer in NCL over last few years. He scored a double century century in the last NCL match. Interesting thing is his interest is longer version cricket.
Old November 2, 2011, 01:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Rubel bhai...Farhad Hossain is another good option for opening or one down. He is a consistent performer in NCL over last few years. He scored a double century century in the last NCL match. Interesting thing is his interest is longer version cricket.
I am following Farhad seriously since 09 when i joined this forum.He did well with our academy tour in SA with Nasir.He can be an option at #3 but i never seen him opening in any format.Basically he is a middle order batsman.He is thinking to play test cricket rather that limited over matches. Thats a very good thinking from this young guy.But to me he should be tested by A team.As far as i remember his last A team tour was not good at all at Srilanka.To me he will compete for #4.
For this my options are:
1.For all aspects to me Naeem is the best option we have.
2.S.Hom:This stylish talented young guy is in WI now.I hope he will prove his class there.
3.Mominul: Another Lefti,did a very good job with academy in SA.I hope he will do a good job in WI.His main problem is lack of experience.
4.Lets see how Rock does in WI.To me still Rock is a better option than Ash in test cricket.
So for #4 unless Hom,Mominul or Rock does exceptionally well in WI i wan2 give Naeem a chance at #4 against Pakistan.

Old November 2, 2011, 01:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Junaid. Stat wise he is similar to the current crop. But he is a good slip fielder. I just don't like his freakish outs in every single innings. Crazy!!!
Old November 2, 2011, 01:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Shahriar Nafees is more comfortable with the #4 slot, he is not opener material even though in the past he used to be(and had success with it in 2005-2006 era). his comfort zone is after the 10th over. If you follow every one of his 50/century, he plays himself in after around 10-20 balls(which is fine, his style of play is to get comfortable first) with the moving new ball, this is more difficult to do and this is why he failed so much in the past, not living up to his expectation. This is one weakness he has I will definitely admit. I still feel he deserves an extended run, he got some runs in the Australia series back in April, he also got a couple of 50s in the last two series. I would keep him for the Pakistan series if i were selector, but after that who knows???

We are potentially dropping too many players and too many voids to fill the gap, in Test cricket it is a little bit different than ODI, because Experience(more patience, the ability to play comfortably for longer period of time) matters in Tests.

Kayes definitely gets the chop, he never really looked comfortable recently. Roquibul never really deserved to be there because i thought the selectors gambled just because he scored a 50 in NCL, the selectors had no choice and didn't want to risk a newcomer like Hom(horribly out of form + if he performed badly here, would really dent his confidence for future) or out of form Junaid, so they went for Rock, what the selectors did was a stop gap solution for Ashraful, but I felt Roquibul needed more time and consistency in the NCL before getting a recall.

here is a BOLD idea: why not try Elias Sunny as an Opener? is it a gamble worth taking? I mean we lose one of the openers within 10 overs anyways, plus Elias Sunny scored centuries in NCL a couple of times OPENING! currently there is no other option because these top order guys are EXPECTED to play for at least two hours + at least a century is expected from your top order batsmen in TESTS. the guys who are capable of doing that that comes in the top four are:

Tamim
Siddique(out of form)
Nafees (but as stated earlier, he is not opening material)
Ashraful(if he scores three centuries in NCL, i will recall him for TEST ONLY, but he too is suicidal option for Opening)
Imrul(out of form)
Mehrab Hossain jr.(a couple of good domestic seasons should see him back as an opener)
Nazimuddin(can hit the ball pretty hard, if he scores a couple more centuries in NCL, why not give him a shot, what can we lose??)
Kapali- he is really more suited for the longer format of the game still have faith in him as a batsmen, once he gets his form back, I will consider him for TESTS only, just like Ashraful.(although he is not opening material)
Hom- can be tried as an opening material once he finds back form.

as of things stand right now, Ashraful, Kapali should stay away from the ODI team! should be nowhere near it!

If Rahim was a good keeper, the answer would have been simple, short and sweet: Anamul Haque, he is opening Material. but since he has to to a lot of keeping, i would bat him lower down the order, especially when he is debuting in a test match.

my Test Lineup as of things stand now:

1. Tamim
2. Elias Sunny
3. Riyad
4. Nafees
5. Rahim
6. Shakib
7. Anamul(wk)
8. Naeem
9. Nasir
10. Shafiul
11. Rubel
Old November 2, 2011, 02:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
To solve our top order batting problems thats going on for a while, I think we need to look forward with new players with new roles than trying old rejects who were tried and failed in the past. The old rejects proved they are not capable to solve that problem even they get their 10th opportunity to do so.

So what does that mean?

SN, Junaid, Rakibul, Ashraful, even Rahim may pot be a long term solution for #3 or #4.

So what we do?

let Junaid, SN, etc fight for opening slot.
let Rahim bat @5 or #6 where he is more comfortable.
let Ashraful (in future) fight for #7, #8 slot.
Promote Naeem (#3) and Nasir in the batting order
Be agressive and try with new players like Hom, Jahirul, Amanul etc
Promote Riyad in #4 when he is back
Even We can prmote Sakib in top order as he used to be successful in top order.

Its time to try with new players with new roles.

To be clear, I am talking about TEST team.

Tring to slove this problem with players who already failed is like trying to mix water with oil when we already know that they cannot be mixed together.
Agreed on all fronts, but why do you say Rahim is not a long term top order solution? He is the most complete batsman we've ever produced. He has it all: technique, temperament, stroke play, all gears, and academic understanding of how to bat in different situations. His getting out in the nervous 69s is something that will pass in due time.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old November 2, 2011, 02:32 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Good thread. I think this is a huge problem with our team. We've got good allrounders in our team. Shakib, Riyad, Naeem, Nasir, and Mushy(yes I consider him an allrounder since he's a keeper/batsman) are all regulars in the team and do well more often then not. Our main problem lays with the specialist batsmen. The only good specialist batsman that we have is Tamim. Rock, Ash and Imrul are just bad. SN and Zunaed are pretty bad as well.

This is a huge problem in our team. Too much is relied upon on Tamim. Not saying Tamim should get a pass for idiotic shots but he just doesn't get enough support from the top. In ODI's, we have gaping holes in our 2nd opener and #3 slot and then in tests we have even bigger gaping holes in our team with the #4 being a issue as well since Mushy can't bat at #4 due to all that wicket keeping. It's time we start to plug some new guys in. Again I'm gonna reiterate that it was a poor decision not to try Anamul in the A team tour. He could have been the answer for our second opener's spot. If Shuvagata and Mominul does well in the tour, they could be tried out at #3 or #4. It's time we try something different because our current specialist batsmen have just not been the answer despite the chances given to them.
Old November 2, 2011, 03:21 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

Why can't we learn for Zim???

82 runs in 40 overs and lose of 1 wk that too against NZ bowling attack!!! Tired of these morons

Maskadza is Zim's version of Ashraful, even he wants to stay in the middle to play proper test ar amader so called supersatar TIK, Shak and other chagols kotokhone out hobe sei niye lafalafi kore