facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 20, 2018, 08:40 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rahkeem Cornwall
Default Bangladesh Leg Break Bowlers Thread

The art of leg break bowling is a thing of beauty and given its success in the modern game, a thing to cherish.

Almost all the major teams in world cricket have one in their squads.

So, it's about time BD cricket started to spot these talents in the pipeline, all the way to grassroots cricket, and put some more emphasis an resources in developing these talents.

As we all know, Jubair was fast tracked to the national and exited for reasons I am not certain or don't have any knowledge of. That leaves a void in this department.

BD occasionally turn to Sabbir for timid leg break bowling these days.

I say. It's about time the leg spinning revolution invades the BD cricket culture.

The importance of leg spins is an asset to any team...I list a couple who are from lesser teams and troubling top quality batsmen of the world:

Rashid
Sandeep (yeah, I know he's green)
Ashwin (leg spinner Ashwin, not proven)
Mujeeb does bowl the googly

BD team needs more variety. Development of leg spinners is an option.

Also, those who are following the local cricket in BD. How many leg spinners are there? And can you provide us with some names?

Old May 20, 2018, 08:43 AM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

we have lots of quality leg spinners, you'll see them in wedding functions. but not any in the cricket area
Old May 20, 2018, 08:50 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
we have lots of quality leg spinners, you'll see them in wedding functions. but not any in the cricket area
Oh. Why though?
Old May 20, 2018, 09:05 AM
Champions Trophy 2017 Fantasy winner
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Fizz

Jubair had all the potential, but very raw. It sucks that the domestic teams don't play him and he isn't gaining any real experience. BCB needs to invest in him and make sure he is getting the necessary development. And they will do that once they realize the value of a quality legspinner, whenever that is.

And I am hoping they don't get the wrong idea and invest in Tanbir Haider...
Old May 20, 2018, 09:29 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausif
Jubair had all the potential, but very raw. It sucks that the domestic teams don't play him and he isn't gaining any real experience. BCB needs to invest in him and make sure he is getting the necessary development. And they will do that once they realize the value of a quality legspinner, whenever that is.

And I am hoping they don't get the wrong idea and invest in Tanbir Haider...
Didn't some coach say jubair doesn't train

Old May 20, 2018, 10:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger1000
Didn't some coach say jubair doesn't train
Even if you see Jubair now, he looks fairly unfit, chubby. Its as if he is a part time professional like you get in associate countries.

Here is a writeup with some of his issues, including failing the skinfold test

http://www.espncricinfo.com/banglade...y/1117451.html
Old May 20, 2018, 10:53 AM
Cricket Legend

I think the major issue holding us back is "inspiration".

Rafique, Enamul Haque, Shakib showed that left arm spin is the way and an entire generation followed. Not only that clubs, first class teams value SLA's due to technical limitations of our batsmen, nature of pitch and the fact that they are less expensive. The modus operandi in our nets is always go with the time tested "safe" approach. Coaches are also guilty of not allowing youngsters to try something unusual.

I ve highlighted this example before, but i attended a clinic by a few well known BD coaches (Including a former captain). Kids, for the sake of fun loved to give the ball a rip, extract turn. Thats what excited them. But the coaches always shunned the attitude. The mantra was "Beat the batsman in the air." Thats fine and by the book. But by the book doesnt work in todays cricket.

Honestly i hope we bring in a coach from India or Sri Lanka to work with youngsters at age group level. No point getting someone at senior level. We have to find raw talent, and for that we need open minded coaches.
Old May 20, 2018, 02:29 PM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

For a leg spinner to succeed... He needs to practice and play a LOT of games and bowl a lot of overs...the biggest issue with leggie are inconsistency. Our country hasn't produced leggie is because our captains, coached, management aren't patient with these leggies. Jubair went the furthest because Hatri was patient with him. But then everyone else wasn't backing him up
Old May 20, 2018, 03:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Do we even have a legspin coach? Also, isn't Tanbir Hayder a legspinner all-rounder? Although his stats don't say he is a good legspinner but a better batsman.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:38 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zura
Do we even have a legspin coach? Also, isn't Tanbir Hayder a legspinner all-rounder? Although his stats don't say he is a good legspinner but a better batsman.
Tanbir Hayder features regularly in the domestic teams. He has the ability to bat which works for his favor. He is perhaps the only leg spinner in the country who gets to bowl. I am aware that Marshal Ayub used to bowl leg spin but he is mostly a batsman.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:47 AM
Test Cricketer

There was another Leg spinner named Noor Hossain who played in the under-19 world cup in 2010. He last played in NCL in 2016.
Old May 21, 2018, 03:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Tanbir Hayder was a desperate attempt to create a leg spinner out of someone who was merely a part timer.

Never had the quality in the first place.
Old May 21, 2018, 04:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
Tanbir Hayder features regularly in the domestic teams. He has the ability to bat which works for his favor. He is perhaps the only leg spinner in the country who gets to bowl. I am aware that Marshal Ayub used to bowl leg spin but he is mostly a batsman.
With his wicket taking and bowling average, you really don't see him to be that dangerous at all.
Old May 21, 2018, 06:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
Tanbir Hayder was a desperate attempt to create a leg spinner out of someone who was merely a part timer.

Never had the quality in the first place.
That was such an embarrassing attempt, I am glad the selectors and coach realized soon enough that he does not have any quality or talent as a leggie in the first place.

If only Jubair didn't have his troubles in the domestics.
Old May 22, 2018, 01:08 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

Jubair Hossain Likhon has been picked as a net bowler for our batsmen who will face Rashid Khan in the AFG T20 series. He will try to impress senior players, coaching staffs and selection panel. Let me quote few things to the best of my memory about him that I heard recently over net:

1. Mash said that he is bowling well. But not at that stage to be picked right away.
2. Mushy said that he bowls with some pace, similar to Rashid Khan which is handy. However, the few glimpses I saw on Youtube don't really suggest that.
3. Jubair himself said (before this training/prep for AFG) that he is also training with the bat so that he can be selected as an all-rounder.
Old May 22, 2018, 04:54 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ssei
3. Jubair himself said (before this training/prep for AFG) that he is also training with the bat so that he can be selected as an all-rounder.
everyones an allrounder in our country, yet our tail cant wag if their life depended on it

current philosophy of the players if I take one or two wickets and score one or two 50 in 10/15 matches It'll be enough to get selected, thus trying batting and bowling both and not getting any one of the art right

even with the modern day T20 money calling its not enough to motivate our players to work hard. they are happy with mediocrity

just wait and see how Afg crank up players after rashid and mujib success in Ipl
Old May 23, 2018, 05:19 PM
Cricket Savant

If Jubair ain't no good leggiie, why he prepping the boys up to face a legend? Rashid?
Old May 24, 2018, 02:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklemalp
If Jubair ain't no good leggiie, why he prepping the boys up to face a legend? Rashid?
You have to do with what you have. Well, it's not like Jubair is not a good leg break bowler. He definitely have the potential as evident from the test against India where he deceived batsman like Kohli with his wrong un. The clubs in the country are not patient with leg spinners and that's why we don't see them in the top level cricket.

There are players in Bangladesh who start as leg spinners and later turn into batsman or off spinners.
Old May 24, 2018, 06:51 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
You have to do with what you have. Well, it's not like Jubair is not a good leg break bowler. He definitely have the potential as evident from the test against India where he deceived batsman like Kohli with his wrong un. The clubs in the country are not patient with leg spinners and that's why we don't see them in the top level cricket.

There are players in Bangladesh who start as leg spinners and later turn into batsman or off spinners.
Yes, that's the sad thing in all of this.

I do hope with all the leggies and their craft flying around in the international scene, that some youngster in Bangladesh gets inspired by it, and pick up a ball and start twirling it at the back of the hand!
Old May 29, 2018, 09:32 AM
Cricket Sage

Bangladesh Leg Break Bowlers: New addition Mustafiz.

Sorry, he is Toe Break Bowler.
Old September 25, 2018, 05:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

I'm normally an off-spinner but have been trying the leg spin variety (leg break, googly, top spinner - heck even threw a few carom balls in there too) with reasonable success (see below) this season for my local club.

https://essexcl.play-cricket.com/web...le_type_id=179

Judging by the scarcity of leg-spinners in BD, reckon I should get in touch with the BCB murubbis ahead of the WC'19?!

Last edited by Purbasha T; September 25, 2018 at 06:06 AM..
Old October 29, 2018, 03:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
One such instance is that of Raihan Uddin Arafat, who has 31 first-class wickets to his name in 16 matches. However, very few paid any attention to those figures as Arafat had to struggle in order to find a team in longer-version cricket. His division, Chittagong, nearly pushed him towards obscurity due to the presence of an arsenal of left-arm spinners.
Quote:
Another leg-spinner in age-level cricket was the highly-rated Humayun Kabir Shaheen, who played in all the levels alongside Tigers Test captain Mushfiqur Rahim, maverick all-rounder Shakib al Hasan and dashing opening batsman Tamim Iqbal.

Shaheen, now 26, bagged 33 wickets in 10 first-class matches and also holds the record of scalping four wickets from 7.2 overs without conceding a single run against the Cricket Association of Bengal Under-16 team in India. This tie took place more than a decade ago and his skipper was a certain Mushfiq.
Quote:
“I think I did not get enough opportunities till now to prove my ability after returning from a ligament injury two years back. I did not even play a first-class game in the last seven years,” he said, dejection clearly showing in his face.
https://www.dhakatribune.com/uncateg...nd-a-dying-art

Things haven't changed. Jubair Hossain played only two matches for Chittagong division. He got a fifer in one of the matches and didn't get to bowl a single delivery in the next one as the match was washed out. He wasn't picked for rest of the matches.
He wasn't picked by any Bpl team. He was ignored by the selectors for the practice game vs Zimbabwe. Noor Hossain didn't play a single match since 2016.

How are you supposed to find leg spinners when those who are there don't get opportunities?
Old October 29, 2018, 03:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

I wonder if its not only the quality of leggies or is it the mental mind frame of the selectors not to waste time of these type of bowlers which is why we dont see them getting chances
Old October 29, 2018, 08:29 AM
Cricket Legend

I was hoping at least Rishad would get picked up by somebody at the BPL draft but no one did. There's still time for teams to pick up players so let's see if Rishad or Jubair get selected.
Old October 29, 2018, 01:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
I'm normally an off-spinner but have been trying the leg spin variety (leg break, googly, top spinner - heck even threw a few carom balls in there too) with reasonable success (see below) this season for my local club.

https://essexcl.play-cricket.com/web...le_type_id=179

Judging by the scarcity of leg-spinners in BD, reckon I should get in touch with the BCB murubbis ahead of the WC'19?!
How old are you?