facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 18, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Question Coming to Toronto

A close relative of mine is planning to migrate (Immigration VISA ) to Toronto from Dhaka. That’s the good news. But the bad news is she is asking my help, as she doesn’t know anyone in Toronto well enough to ask for information. She is coming with her two kids and literally useless and typical Bangladeshi husband. Financially she plans to bring enough money to survive at-least couple of years without working, so long term they should be ok. But the problem is short term logistic issues: like picking them up (with 8+ luggages) and renting apartments, applying for necessary documents, getting utilities and bank accounts etc., and who knows what else is needed. My mom said I must help them, so no way out.
I have to take one week off and go to Toronto, in one day in-advance to pick them up from airport and arrange an apartment. But the problem is: I never visited Toronto, it’s a new city to me in a foreign country. The best I know about Canada is visiting Niagara Falls for few hours. Its hard to convince my mom that I will as clueless as my migrating relatives as Toronto is completely a foreign city to me. Only that I will have a credit card to save me if there is a disaster. Now I am getting more and more scared, for both myself as well as my relative.
There are lots of issues to think about. For example if I need to make an arrangement so that they need to stay in a hotel for a week or so, where will be a good place (price wise) to stay so the hotel rent is not too much? Based on information I got looks like eventually we need find a rental apartment in one of those bangali Para (Macy or something like that?) in downtown as they will not have any car for a while.
Can I make an arrangement to rent the apartment in advance for them?
How is the transpiration from the airport? Can I use public transportation or should I take a car?
How is the parking arrangement in downtown? How is the public transportation? That should help me to decide whether I drive or fly. The advantage of driving is: I can take lots of emergency stuff for them from USA.
The other question is what I should buy for them from USA versus buying them in Canada? For example: they will need a microwave (if its not part of the apartment), a cheaper desktop computer, blankets, pillows, etc, etc, etc
If someone recently migrated to Toronto or faced similar situation like me, please feel free to share what other issues we may need to worry about and what are the possible best resolution. Or if you know any helpful resource please shares the link.

Last edited by Fazal; May 18, 2006 at 02:48 PM..

Old May 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

if u go to down town toronto , theres a lot bangali people. downtown is a pretty nice place, but a lot of gun violence there. transportation may not be problem cause public bus, cabs etc.
Old May 18, 2006, 01:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

I would recommend Scarborough rather than the downtown area. With two kids, I wouldn't recommend anyone live close to spadina and dundus street, downtown. Where is ATMR?
Old May 18, 2006, 02:00 PM
Cricket Legend

My brother moved to Toronto from Dhaka (Immigration) with his wife and kid just couple of weeks ago on 27th April. Fortunately he had a friend to host him. From airport, he took a cab and went to his friend’s house. It took just 2 days to get his apartment. He is now living in North York area. His 1-bed room apartment costs 800 Canadian dollars which includes all the utilities.

I was and am almost same kind of situation as you are in. I am too going to Toronto during the upcoming Memorial Day weekend to see my brother and help him settle down. I have never been to Toronto. I’ll fly to Buffalo and then drive from there. Having a car will certainly help to drive around for shopping and stuff.

I am taking microwave, rice cooker etc. small appliances from US. But don’t take too much. Canadian customs regulation says you can take up to $60 worth of staff for gift purposes without paying taxes. You can take as much staff as you want, but you have to bring them back with you. If you intend to leave them back in Canada to be used by Canadian residents, you have to pay taxes. For the cheap desktop computer, I purchased it online from Canadian Best Buy and they delivered to my brother’s house. I wanted to buy it from USA, but considering the Customs regulations, I went for online. The desktop package included eMachines T3120 AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz , 17" Flat CRT Monitor and Lexmark X2350 All-In-One Printer. Total cost was CDN $632 (I’ll get $50 back from it with mail-in-rebate). Delivery was free.

If the Customs restriction was not there, I would have taken everything from USA. Sales tax in Toronto is too much---15% of your purchase price!!!

Last edited by babubangla; May 18, 2006 at 03:45 PM..
Old May 18, 2006, 02:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Bangladeshi community is in Danforth /Main St. / Victoria Park, it is East York. Subway, buses and all deshi stores are available. No need of a car, if living near that area.

But Scarborough is nice place to live.

Airport is a little bit far away from Toronto central area.

Resource for new comers to Canada from Bangladesh.
http://www.bangladeshi.ca/

Last edited by allrounder; May 18, 2006 at 02:31 PM..
Old May 18, 2006, 02:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Thank you all, who responded to this thread as well as who sent u2u me regarding this matter. And Advance thanks to all, who plan to respond in future. I still have few months left. All these information will help me to have a good game plan for them.
Old May 18, 2006, 02:54 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
A close relative of mine is planning to migrate (Immigration VISA ) to Toronto from Dhaka. That’s the good news. But the bad news is she is asking my help, as she doesn’t know anyone in Toronto well enough to ask for information. She is coming with her two kids and literally useless and typical Bangladeshi husband. Financially she plans to bring enough money to survive at-least couple of years without working, so long term they should be ok. But the problem is short term logistic issues: like picking them up (with 8+ luggages) and renting apartments, applying for necessary documents, getting utilities and bank accounts etc., and who knows what else is needed. My mom said I must help them, so no way out.
I have to take one week off and go to Toronto, in one day in-advance to pick them up from airport and arrange an apartment. But the problem is: I never visited Toronto, it’s a new city to me in a foreign country. The best I know about Canada is visiting Niagara Falls for few hours. Its hard to convince my mom that I will as clueless as my migrating relatives as Toronto is completely a foreign city to me. Only that I will have a credit card to save me if there is a disaster. Now I am getting more and more scared, for both myself as well as my relative.
There are lots of issues to think about. For example if I need to make an arrangement so that they need to stay in a hotel for a week or so, where will be a good place (price wise) to stay so the hotel rent is not too much? Based on information I got looks like eventually we need find a rental apartment in one of those bangali Para (Macy or something like that?) in downtown as they will not have any car for a while.
How is the transpiration from the airport? Can I use public transportation or should I take a car?
How is the parking arrangement in downtown? How is the public transportation? That should help me to decide whether I drive or fly. The advantage of driving is: I can take lots of emergency stuff for them from USA.
The other question is what I should buy for them from USA versus buying them in Canada? For example: they will need a microwave (if its not part of the apartment), a cheaper desktop computer, blankets, pillows, etc, etc, etc
If someone recently migrated to Toronto or faced similar situation like me, please feel free to share what other issues we may need to worry about and what are the possible best resolution. Or if you know any helpful resource please shares the link.
another Fazal joke??? hashtey hashtey pet-ey khil dhory jacchey.
Old May 18, 2006, 03:03 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
another Fazal joke??? hashtey hashtey pet-ey khil dhory jacchey.
Na Bhai this time its real life joke. This time Fandee Poria Boga (Fazal) kandee Re...
Old May 18, 2006, 03:54 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Must make sure they get their Permanent Residency card before leaving the airport if I am not mistaken. This may take time so be prepared for long hours at the airport. And then get the health card ASAP. There goes your vacation hours, cause it has to be done on a weekday.

Having a car would be really handy. Otherwise visiting Walmart and carrying goods would be like grrrrrr!!!
Old May 18, 2006, 04:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
Must make sure they get their Permanent Residency card before leaving the airport if I am not mistaken. This may take time so be prepared for long hours at the airport. And then get the health card ASAP. There goes your vacation hours, cause it has to be done on a weekday.

Having a car would be really handy. Otherwise visiting Walmart and carrying goods would be like grrrrrr!!!
u r gonna get a temorary one first. then after a while u r gonna get the real card.

someone said scarborough is a nice place to live. wats the difference, both a pretty common for gun violence.

theres a joke in my skool. a kid who got into gun trouble. so his father moved to scarborough with him.now guess wat he turned into
Old May 18, 2006, 10:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Looks like the 1st target for apartment search will be in Dansforth area in those teesdale buildings. I was told it is next to Scarborough area. I heard that there may be 200 Bangladeshi living in these 4 apartment buildings.

Advantage: Near metro, Bangladeshi community, every thing needed is in walking distance, will not feel home sick, etc.

Disadvantage: May be too many Bangladeshis living too close, noisy, high crime rate (??), School may not be that good (??).

My goal is to find them some short term solution so they can adjust to the new country. In long term, they can decide by themselves when and where they want to move later on.

Anyway I will keep continue researching based on feedback that I received from here and from other sources.

Thanks Again
Old May 18, 2006, 10:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla

I am taking microwave, rice cooker etc. small appliances from US. But don’t take too much. Canadian customs regulation says you can take up to $60 worth of staff for gift purposes without paying taxes. You can take as much staff as you want, but you have to bring them back with you. If you intend to leave them back in Canada to be used by Canadian residents, you have to pay taxes. For the cheap desktop computer, I purchased it online from Canadian Best Buy and they delivered to my brother’s house. I wanted to buy it from USA, but considering the Customs regulations, I went for online. The desktop package included eMachines T3120 AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz , 17" Flat CRT Monitor and Lexmark X2350 All-In-One Printer. Total cost was CDN $632 (I’ll get $50 back from it with mail-in-rebate). Delivery was free.
Thanks BabuBangla for your suggestion. I completely forgot about rice cooker, another must have item. Also thanks for reminding me about custom issue which I never thought before. I will rather wait about computer. Either I will buy it in Canada while I am there or I will do the same (mail order) after my visit to Canada.

bty, please share your experience after your visit to Toronto. I hope you will have some more useful advice for me after your trip.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
hi Fazal.I am not an immigrant but astudent in canada and know pretty much everything there is to know about toronto. Firstly the public trnasport system in toronto is one of the best I have come across with a few execptions like the "steeles" route bus which somtimes never maintains the time schedule.But on na more serious note the transit is one of the best. You can use public transit to move from the airport to your destination but with 8 luggages that will not be wise at all. There is a bus called airport rocket number 192 if I remember correctly that shuttles from the airport to Kipling subway station. BUt with 8 luggages you would need a minivan or a SUV to move from the airport,even a taxi wont be able to take that much stuff in.
About hotels, since I have never had the need to stay in hotels I do not know the price of a lot of them but I do know that the cheapest room rate at the royal York hotel in downtown toronto is 90 dollars I think. However if you are looking for cheap temporary accomodation then bread and breakfasts would be ideal. They would cost about 40 dollars and up. If you are looking to rent a place in a bangali para ie. Massey buildings and all, near victoria park subway then you will find lots of bread and breakfasts in kingston road which is about a 30 minute bus ride from the first subway station on the east side called kennedy. Victoria park station is the third one from the east.You can go there and talk to the management about rental inquiries if that is the place you are looking for. Or you can take a look at www.rentersnews.ca and search for apartment rentals based on your budget and requirements. My friends who live in the bangali para near victoria park subway has bought the apartments so I am not very sure about the rents but I have heard that they range from 800 to 1500 canadian dollars. But you should keep your options open and can even try looking at the aprartments on MArkham and eglington. I think the best bet for you would be to go through the website address I gave and search from there. If you have a car it will be easier to look for an aprtment but you can always rent something from toronto for a week if you need to. You can also visit www.ttc.ca and look at the GTA(greater Toronto Area) map to get an idea about the distances between the different cities like scarborough,etobicoke,north york,toronto etc. HOwever all these are part of the GTA and the transit system covers most of these places. The others have their own transit system like the mississauga transit,brampton transit etc. There are so many things that I can write an essay on this. But I think once you go to toronto things will fall in place by themselves.
Let me try answering your other questions, parking in downtown is expensive so the public transit will be preferable if money is an issue. And as i told u public transit is very very good so you can go anywhere in toronto using the TTC. Most apartments come with a stove,refrigerator,closets,storage area, and other appliances based on your negotiations with the super. and the management. The best way to find out is to talk to them. I personally do not think buying things from the usa is a good idea. It willl only add to your luggage and burden, you can get everything from Canada and stuff like microwaves are not expensive.

I do not know if I answered your questions properly but mone hochche onek incoherent answer dilam,so if you have any specific questions you are more than welcome to email me and I can try helping you out. I am in Dhaka for the summer holidays and will go back in third week of august. If you are on toronto around that time and need any help I will be happy to show you around town. Best of luck in helping your relatives.

Last edited by layperson; May 18, 2006 at 11:45 PM..
Old May 19, 2006, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats_eye
I would recommend Scarborough rather than the downtown area. With two kids, I wouldn't recommend anyone live close to spadina and dundus street, downtown. Where is ATMR?
ATMR's working in Toronto before he goes back to school in Waterloo in the fall.
Old May 19, 2006, 02:25 PM
Cricket Legend

There are jobs in Toronto?

I heard few stories about people moving to Canada and then end up with no job and then leaving Canada for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
ATMR's working in Toronto before he goes back to school in Waterloo in the fall.
Old May 19, 2006, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrounder
There are jobs in Toronto?

I heard few stories about people moving to Canada and then end up with no job and then leaving Canada for good.
From what I have seen personally people who dont get jobs in canada are people who dont know how to look for them or they are not qualified. If they are qualified they are not resourceful enough to land a job. Jobs dont come to you, you have to be resourceful to be able to get good jobs. Toronto is nothing diffferent. INfact Canada has a shortage of skilled labour which is why they are keen on taking so many "skilled" category immigrants. There is a shortage, means tht demand outstrips supply of skilled labour so common sense would say jobs should not be hard to find for the properly traiined individuals.
Old May 19, 2006, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

>>There are jobs in Toronto?

>>I heard few stories about people moving to Canada and then end up with no job and then leaving Canada >>for good.

that's the kind of bull crap you'll get when you visit danforth, from people who are too lazy to get off their butts and go out and explore.

a typical danforthians day "out": he takes the subway to the "unknown" west (downtown Toronto and thereabouts, i.e.), and on the way he comes across an interracial couple holding hands (the man being a black guy, and the woman brown). The very thought of a black guy holding hands with one of his own disgusts him. At the same time, he is thrilled by the prospect of a nice adda surruounding this particular finding with his other unemployed buddies on a "chaer table" in a teashop in one corner of danforth the following evening.

After about fifteen minutes or so, he gets off the train. He has arrived at the heart of downtown TO. As he walks through the streets amidst the skycrapers, he feels alienated. He has never seen so many black people in his life before. Even the white majority of the area alarms him. He throws a disgusted look as a man of Chinese origin passes by. Their food stinks. He feels disgusted to have to come so close to a Chinese dude.

As he enters one of the shopping malls, he snares at a group of Phillipinos wearing baggy trousers. The kind of clothing they wear disgusts him.

As the sun sets, he decides he's seen enough. His head feels heavy. This was the first day in his five-year tenure in Toronto that he's been in such close proximity to people of so many different races and types. It feels like he is stranded in a desert with no food and water. His head starts to spin. "Er cheye amar danforther coffee shop o onek bhalo bhai" he thinks to himself. He can't wait to get back to his chaer table and gallify the whites for favouring people of other races during interviews. He can't wait to gossip about how ugly black people are. He says to himself "Never leave Danforth again...nerver leave..."

Moral number one: You lose the right to complain about not being able to fit in if you are not willing to accept your surroundings.

Moral number two: If you have enough time to criticize others, then there is something very wrong with yourself, something that probably requires tuning.
Old May 19, 2006, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

In general I've found Bangladeshis in Toronto to be the least willing to accept anything that's different from their typical - and at times stereotypical - beliefs. Our people feel inferior, throw racist slurs at other kinds of people among themselves, and are lazy. And of course there's the common practice of blaming someone else for your own mistakes.
Old May 19, 2006, 03:21 PM
Cricket Legend

most of the bd people in canada are not that friendly.. they r jeolous types. danforth is crammed with bangladeshis. thats y my family doesnt live there
Old May 19, 2006, 11:21 PM
Cricket Legend

I dont think it is nice to steroetype the "Bangladeshis in toronto". You will always have different kinds of people, people who spend their time gossiping and there will also be people who are actually resourceful enough to get hold of jobs. ATMR if I am not mistaken you are also a bangali and you are working in Toronto albeit for the summer only so how can you stereotype the bangalis the way u just did. I know of a lot of bangalis in Toronto and Canada who work in proper in proper jobs and I also know of bangalis who dont have any education, got immigration via refugee status and still working hard and earning a more than decent living. These people work hard for their money and I know of refugee bangalis who drive taxis in toronto and they earn around 5000 dolllars a month doing that which is not bad at all. More than what an average graduate would earn when they are starting out in the job market. Any where you go there would be people who give your race a bad name and there would people who work hard at what they do. I hate it when people stereotype ot generalize. You cannot judge an entire community based on some people's actions. No offence intended. Just spoke what I felt.
Old May 20, 2006, 10:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahriyar
I dont think it is nice to steroetype the "Bangladeshis in toronto". You will always have different kinds of people, people who spend their time gossiping and there will also be people who are actually resourceful enough to get hold of jobs. ATMR if I am not mistaken you are also a bangali and you are working in Toronto albeit for the summer only so how can you stereotype the bangalis the way u just did. I know of a lot of bangalis in Toronto and Canada who work in proper in proper jobs and I also know of bangalis who dont have any education, got immigration via refugee status and still working hard and earning a more than decent living. These people work hard for their money and I know of refugee bangalis who drive taxis in toronto and they earn around 5000 dolllars a month doing that which is not bad at all. More than what an average graduate would earn when they are starting out in the job market. Any where you go there would be people who give your race a bad name and there would people who work hard at what they do. I hate it when people stereotype ot generalize. You cannot judge an entire community based on some people's actions. No offence intended. Just spoke what I felt.
a taxi driver earns 5 grand a month,on topof that he is a refugee. y on earth am i then thinking of studying engineering. i can finish high skool and start drivin taxis...
Old May 20, 2006, 10:16 AM
Cricket Legend

sorrry pressed submitt twice. can anyone delete this
Old May 20, 2006, 12:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Well bangladeshis in NY who drive taxis and are in construction business makes more or almost the same as I do working in IT. My brother-in-law makes between quarter to half million with his construction business in NY and there were times when I did question the worth of my education and work. But when I think about my experiences and life style, I am fine not to do that on a permanent basis ( I worked for 2 summer '96 & '97 in construction as a helper when I was going to school and that was it for me.)
Old May 20, 2006, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
a taxi driver earns 5 grand a month,on topof that he is a refugee. y on earth am i then thinking of studying engineering. i can finish high skool and start drivin taxis...
that's why you should think big. you should aim at going to a good school, and shouldn't be content with around fifty grand a year. you should aim at earning a minimum of eighty grand right after you graduate - and trust me it's not impossible.

something else to note here is that although you might start off with an average salary, it will grow with time, whereas people in other occupations (such that you have mentioned in your post) may - unfortunately - not have that opportunity.
Old May 20, 2006, 01:59 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
that's why you should think big. you should aim at going to a good school, and shouldn't be content with around fifty grand a year. you should aim at earning a minimum of eighty grand right after you graduate - and trust me it's not impossible.

something else to note here is that although you might start off with an average salary, it will grow with time, whereas people in other occupations (such that you have mentioned in your post) may - unfortunately - not have that opportunity.
well frm what i knw starting off with 80 grand a year after graduation is a bit too optimistic for any job market either Canada or USA. However, getting a starting salary of 80 grand is very much on the card if u enter the job market with a post graduate degree. I do not think engineering graduates or business school graduates can earn 80 grand as starting just with a B.eng or HBA,you would need a masters in those respective fields to earn tht high starting. Having said that you can always get into the stock markets and start off with a 100 grand and you do not need any specific majors to get into the stock market. You only need to be a graduate and have a certification to be able to trade stocks. However stock trading is a highly strenuous job and most people who get into this job work for 10 to 15 yrs and then retire and start their own business because by that time you will be a millionaire.