facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 12, 2007, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
tak dhina dhin
tak dhina dhin
Balle Balle.....

(Please fill in here with the imagery of both of my shoulders in a synchronized vertical up-and-down motion about 6 inches from the equilibrium positon, repeated about 95 times every 60 seconds, following the beats of the musical sub-genre known as "bhangra")

Old January 13, 2007, 10:53 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Five advisers took oath of office at a Bangabhaban ceremony just after 8pm Saturday. They are:

Ittefaq's Barrister Mainul Hosein, former stock market regulator Mirza Azizul Islam, former anti-corruption official M A Matin (retired major general), Square Group's Tapan Chowdhury, advertising entrepreneur Geeteara Safiya Choudhury.

So far looks good. Waiting to see five more names.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:21 PM
Cricket Sage

Very Interesting selection, specially the selection of Mirza Azizul Islam. As per dristipat, Mr Islam recently resigned from Shonali Bank when he was transfered to Agrani Bank (considered a demotion). It was also mentioned few weeks back in dristipat (can't find the link) that demotion was a prompted when iajuddin’s son's Loan was rejected by him.

Its good to know Mr. Puppet is not selecting the advisors.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Its good to know Mr. Puppet is not selecting the advisors.
As per constitution, Presdient in consultation with CA appoints advisors.

I don't think CA is independently selecting the advisors.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
As per constitution, Presdient with consultation from CA appoints advisors.

True...... but that doesn't mean thats how they run it though.

I agree others involved in the selection behind the scene, But I am suspecting Iajudding may not be one of them.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
As per constitution, Presdient in consultation with CA appoints advisors.

It is just a ceremonial statement.
Just as the costitution says.. President will appoint ministers in consulation with the prime minister. Everything goes in presidents name..but his job is just to follow instruction and sign.

Puppet is still a Puppet..he will always be.
We got to remember, after Badrudozza incident- BNP wanted to put someone in the president's position who is a proven "Puppet". And so they found Iajuddin.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:32 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by babubangla
It is just a ceremonial statement.
Just as the costitution says.. President will appoint ministers in consulation with the prime minister. Everything goes in presidents name..but his job is just to follow instruction and sign.
babu bhai, the situation during Care Taker government is a bit different. During care taket government President enjoys more power than simple titular head.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
babu bhai, the situation during Care Taker government is a bit different. During care taket government President enjoys more power than simple titular head.
Yes he does..he control some of the vital ministry such as defense.
However, he has no constitutional right to interfere with the caretaker govt's decision.
He does not even have the right to appoint the CA without consultation with the political parties.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:42 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

From Bangladesh constitution..

Quote:
7) The President shall appoint Advisers from among the persons who are-
  1. qualified for election as members of parliament;
  2. not members of any political party or of any organisation associated with or affiliated to any political party;
  3. not, and have agreed in writing not to be, candidates for the ensuing election of members of parliament;
  4. not over seventy-two years of age.
(8) The Advisers shall be appointed by the President on the advice of the Chief Adviser.
It looks, in appointing advisors, president enjoys more power than chief advisor.

Last edited by Miraz; January 13, 2007 at 12:47 PM..
Old January 13, 2007, 12:46 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Yes he does..he control some of the vital ministry such as defense.
However, he has no constitutional right to interfere with the caretaker govt's decision.
He does not even have the right to appoint the CA without consultation with the political parties.
Not really, from constitution again,

Quote:
58C. Composition of the Non-Party Care-taker Government, appointment of Advisers, etc.
(1) Non-Party Care-taker Government shall consist of the Chief Adviser at its head and not more than ten other Advisors, all of whom shall be appointed by the President.
(2) The Chief Adviser and other Advisers shall be appointed within fifteen days after Parliament is dissolved or stands dissolved, and during the period between the date on which Parliament is dissolved or stands dissolved and the date on which the Chief Adviser is appointed, the Prime Minister and his cabinet who were in office immediately before Parliament was dissolved or stood dissolved shall continue to hold office as such.
(3) The President shall appoint as Chief Adviser the person who among the retired Chief Justices of Bangladesh retired last and who is qualified to be appointed as an Adviser under this article: Provided that if such retired Chief Justice is not available or is not willing to hold the office of Chief Adviser, the President shall appoint as Chief Adviser the person who among the retired Chief Justices of Bangladesh retired next before the last retired Chief Justice.
(4) If no retired Chief Justice is available or willing to hold the office of Chief Advise, the President shall appoint as Chief Adviser the person who among the retired Judges of the Appellate Division retired last and who is qualified to be appointed as an Adviser under this article: Provided that if such retired Judge is not available or is not willing to hold the office of Chief Adviser, the President shall appoint as Chief Adviser the person who among the retired Judges of the Appellate Division retired next before the last such retired Judge.
(5) If no retired judge of the Appellate Division is available or willing to hold the office of Chief Adviser, the President shall, after consultation, as far as practicable, with the major political parties, appoint the Chief Adviser from among citizens of Bangladesh who are qualified to be appointed as Advisers under this article. (6) Notwithstanding anything contained in this Chapter, if the provisions of clauses (3), (4) and (5) cannot be given effect to, the President shall assume the functions of the Chief Adviser of the Non-Party Care-taker Government in addition to his own functions under this Constitution.

He needs consultation only when all provisions up to 58 (C) - 4 is exhausted. This clause is not about limiting President's authority. It's more about ensuring neutrality.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Just compre it to the appointment of ministers.
It is a ceremonial statement.
President appoints ministers, but he actually does nothing!!!!
Quote:
56. Minister.
(2) The appointments of the Prime Minister and other Ministers and of the Ministers of State and Deputy Ministers, shall be made by the President.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Everything depends on the executive power.
Look who has it.

Quote:
58B. Non-Party Care-taker Government
(3) The executive power of the Republic shall, during the period mentioned in clause (1), be exercised, subject to the provisions of article 58D(1), in accordance with this Constitution, by or on the authority of the Chief Adviser and shall be exercised by him in accordance with the advice of the Non-Party Care-taker Government.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:51 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Just compre it to the appointment of ministers.
It is a ceremonial statement.
President appoints ministers, but he actually does nothing!!!!

babu bhai, you are missing one point. Prime ministers and ministers are elected representative. They have got the mandate of the people and have their own choice about cabinet. Prime minister decides the cabinet and Presidents follows the instruction.

The situation is not similar in case of Care Taker government.
Old January 13, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cricket Legend

President is here just to work as per "Advice".
The word "Advice" is just a polite version of "Order".
After all he is the president. "Order" on president looks odd. Hence the discovery of the word "Advice"
Quote:
48. The President.
(3) In the exercise of all his functions, save only that of appointing the Prime Minister pursuant to clause (3) of article 56 and the Chief Justice pursuant to clause (1) of article 95, the President shall act in accordance with the advice of the Prime Minister;
Most of the Prime MInisters power is now exercised by the Chief Adviser.
Even look at the "Office of Prime MInister of Bangladesh" Website.
The same web site is now renamed as "Office of Chief Adviser of Bangladesh".
Old January 13, 2007, 12:59 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Everything depends on the executive power.
Look who has it.
True, after forming the care taker cabinet, the executive power lies with the Chief Advisor. I am not debating on this point.

My point is, during selection and appointment of Advisors, president enjoys more authority than simple ceremonnial one. Thats is also clear from constitution which I quoted. And its not comparable with elected government.

I rest my case.
Old January 13, 2007, 01:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
True, after forming the care taker cabinet, the executive power lies with the Chief Advisor. I am not debating on this point.

My point is, during selection and appointment of Advisors, president enjoys more authority than simple ceremonnial one. Thats is also clear from constitution which I quoted. And its not comparable with elected government.

I rest my case.
Understood.
In response, my point was:
President appoint adviser NOT "In Colsultation with Chief Adviser".
Rather is it done "on the advice of the Chief Adviser"

The meaning and extent of the word "Advice" is same in every case within the constitution. It does not matter where the "Advice" coming from. If President is Adviced to do something, his constitution duty is "JUST DO IT".

Quote:
8) The Advisers shall be appointed by the President on the advice of the Chief Adviser
Thanks Miraz bhai, while discussing with you, I felt like a lawyer. We referred to constitution for every post!
Old January 13, 2007, 01:11 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Same here.

Thanks babu bhai.
Old January 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

President issued emergency ordinance. The ordinanace scraps almost every human rights and any activity disrupting public life.

Some key point from daily star

Quote:

The ordinance proclaimed on January 12 will remain effective during the whole period of the emergency declared by the president on January 11 in pursuance of power conferred on him by Article 141A(1) of the Constitution.

Under the ordinance, power has been given to the relevant authorities for promulgation of ordinances to restrict all activities subversive to the state or that which may create panic in public life.

The activities hampering the relations of Bangladesh with foreign countries, disrupting peace in any part of the country or creating enmity, hatred, or confrontations among different sections of society can also be restricted under this ordinance.

Under the ordinance, the government may suspend the activities of all political parties, trade unions, clubs and associations and ban any kind of strike or lockout with controlling dissemination of any news or information in this regard.

Publication or printing of newspaper, book, document or paper and broadcasting and news or information detrimental to public safety can be banned and any kind of such materials can be seized from the printing press along with confiscating machinery of the press or media under the same ordinance.

Disruption in the supply of essential goods and services will be prohibited under the ordinance.
Security of the seaports, river ports, airports, dockyard, railway, roads, bridges, canals, telegraph, gas and power supply system, water transports, aircraft, trains go-downs, factories, business centers and properties of local government authorities will be ensured.
Old January 13, 2007, 05:47 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Thanks Miraz bhai, while discussing with you, I felt like a lawyer. We referred to constitution for every post!
Good job you 2
Old January 13, 2007, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Doesnt sound bad at all to me (provided the clauses can be implemented effectively....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz;363599
Under the ordinance, the government may suspend the activities of all political parties, trade unions, clubs and associations and [B

ban any kind of strike or lockout with controlling dissemination of any news or information in this regard. [/B]

Publication or printing of newspaper, book, document or paper and broadcasting and news or information detrimental to public safety can be banned and any kind of such materials can be seized from the printing press along with confiscating machinery of the press or media under the same ordinance.

Disruption in the supply of essential goods and services will be prohibited under the ordinance.
Security of the seaports, river ports, airports, dockyard, railway, roads, bridges, canals, telegraph, gas and power supply system, water transports, aircraft, trains go-downs, factories, business centers and properties of local government authorities will be ensured.

Old January 13, 2007, 11:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Seems like Big guns are going to be aggested
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.newagebd.com
Drives on to net in businessmen, politicians with criminal records
Another ward commissioner arrested
Staff Correspondent

The joint forces of the army and law-enforcing agencies at night on Saturday arrested another ward commissioner of the Dhaka City Corporation, Quaiyum Khan, at Kafrul.
On Friday night, the joint forces arrested Ward 25 commissioner Enamul Haque Quaiyum, at Mugda.
The forces early Friday also detained Awami League lawmaker Kamal Ahmed Majumdar and Proshika’s chief programme coordinator Aminul Islam, also director and Dhaka sector president of ADAB.
All the four arrested were sent to jail on a month’s detention on Saturday.
The joint forces have, meanwhile, asked some mid-level politicians suspected of having links with hoodlums and some businessmen, who are reportedly under vigilance of the forces, have, meanwhile, to remain in their respective places, police and army officials said.
Their movement has been restricted and few are allowed to move, but under close watch, said the officials. It could not be established if they were put under house arrest.
The joint forces launched an operation against the politicians having links with crimes and corruption hours after the president, Iajuddin Ahmed, declared a state of emergency in the evening on Thursday.
Except for the arrest of Kamal Majumdar, made early Friday at his house at Banani, no major political figures were arrested till 9:00pm on Saturday.
In Dhaka, the police and Bangladesh Rifles personnel arrested three activists of the Communist Party of Bangladesh when they neared the party’s central office returning from a political rally, banned under a state of emergency, at Paltan.
The arrested are Chhatra Union president, Shamsul Alam Sajjan, and former Chhatra Union leaders Biplab Saha and Kallol Banik.
The police and army officials, however, said some big guns in politics might be arrested soon after the interim government starts functioning with the appointment of 10 advisers.
A list of politicians and businessmen, suspected of having links with crimes and corruption is now with the joint forces for the operation, the officials said.
The joint forces have so far raided the houses and offices of about two dozen influential political leaders of the Awami League and the BNP. Few others were also arrested outside the capital during the operation.
Raids were also made on the house of some other politicians, but no one could confirm any arrest of such people.
Many politicians suspected of having criminal records and of harbouring crimes had gone into hiding just before the clampdown began. Ward commissioners having criminal records are also on the list.
All the air and land ports and border guards have been provided with the list and asked to stop the people named on the list from leaving the country, the police and army officials said.
The members of the Armed Forces early Friday made a raid on the Channel One office, looking for Gias Uddin Al Manum, chairman of the private television channel and close friend of the BNP’s senior joint secretary general, Tarique Rahman. The forces later raided the DOHS house of Mamun, but failed to find him.
A rumour was rife on Saturday that Tarique Rahman and Mossadak Ali were taken to some place. But the authenticity of the incident could not be established.
The houses of former BNP ministers Mirza Abbas, Lutfozzaman Babar and lawmakers Salauddin Ahmed, Nasiruddin Ahmed Pintu, ward commissioner Mirza Khokan, also a BNP leader, and former Awami League lawmaker Haji Mohammad Selim were raided at dawn.
The army and the Rapid Action Battalion personnel at night on Friday arrested four BNP and Awami League leaders at Durgaur in Rajshahi.
The New Age correspondent in Rajshahi said the army arrested Maria union BNP unit general secretary Tuhin, Joykrishnapur union unit Juba Dal leader Mahbub, Singa municipality BNP leader Akbar and the battalion arrested Pananagar union Swechchhasebak League vice-president Mozammel Haque in possession of a revolved at his house.
The Chapainawabganj correspondent said the army arrested Ranihati union BNP organising secretary, Zakir Hossain, and a convict, Sadequl, at Paitali of Nachol in the district.
Old January 14, 2007, 01:09 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Very Interesting selection, specially the selection of Mirza Azizul Islam. As per dristipat, Mr Islam recently resigned from Shonali Bank when he was transfered to Agrani Bank (considered a demotion). It was also mentioned few weeks back in dristipat (can't find the link) that demotion was a prompted when iajuddin’s son's Loan was rejected by him.
At this point I am not sure if this Mirza Azizul Islam is the same Shonali Bank guy or not.

Last edited by Fazal; January 14, 2007 at 10:25 AM..
Old January 14, 2007, 03:10 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Default Rules underway to ban political activities during emergency

Now comes some rule changes...some good and some that may trigger chaos later.
Important items are in bold, and the one underlined is of special interest to me.

Quote:
Rules underway to ban political activities during emergency
Censorship may be imposed
Shakhawat Liton

The government is formulating rules to impose a ban on the activities of political parties during the period of state of emergency, following an Emergency Power Ordinance promulgated by President Iajuddin Ahmed on Friday.

The ministries of law and home affairs, which are preparing rules to enforce the state of emergency, have also started preparing rules to impose censorship on the media including newspapers, said highly placed sources.

The censorship on the media is destined to have a drastic quashing effect on the freedom of speech and thought just like during a period of martial law, many said.

The Emergency Power Ordinance has already empowered the government to slap a ban on publication and broadcast of news that "harms public security, law and order, supply of essentials and services".

Any such publications may be proscribed and the broadcasting electronic gadgets seized, the ordinance promulgated the day after the declaration of state of emergency said, adding that transgressors may be subject to up to 14 years' rigorous imprisonment or death sentence as the maximum punishment.

The emergency ordinance has already barred persons affected by the provisions of the ordinance from seeking redress in any court of law.

The ordinance, which was given a retrospective effect from January 11--the day the president declared the state of emergency, also empowered the government to formulate necessary rules to enforce the emergency.

Sources said the rules are proposing to impose a ban on political parties' activities, including meetings, gatherings, rallies, processions, blockades and strikes, under the provision of the emergency ordinance.

The rules will also slap bans on activities of trade unions, clubs and associations.

When contacted, Home Secretary Abdul Karim told The Daily Star last night that they are working to formulate the rules in accordance with the ordinance.

Asked if the government is going to enforce this provision, he said he cannot tell anything on any specific issue without going through the details of the rules being prepared.

The rules will be finalised after the chief adviser and the law adviser to the interim caretaker government approve the draft of the rules, sources said.

Media personalities have already condemned the provision for imposing censorship on the media. They feared misunderstanding might arise between the caretaker government and the media over the issue.

They urged the interim government not to formulate any rule curtailing the freedom of the media, which is now playing a pivotal role in strengthening democracy.

They said they believe the newly formed caretaker government will not take any such decision against the media and will rather consider its role as a supportive power for holding a free and fair election.

Source: DS
Old January 14, 2007, 03:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger
Default Breaking news: The cabinet sits for a meeting

Breaking news: The cabinet sits for their first meeting. Funny that Tapan Chowdhury has been chosen...from personal sources, he's nothing great. But lets see what he can do for us now.

Quote:
Dhaka, Jan 14 9bdnews24.com) -- New interim advisers started their first cabinet meeting Sunday after taking oath.

Chief adviser Fakhruddin Ahmed is chairing the meeting that began at 11.35am in his office in Tejgaon, cabinet division sources said.

Barrister Mainul Hosein of the Ittefaq, ex-chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission Mirza Azizul Islam, advertising entrepreneur Geeteara Safiya Chowdhury, ex-director of the anticorruption bureau MA Matin and Tapan Chowdhury of Square Group joined the meeting.
Old January 14, 2007, 03:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Advisors are always respectable people who are successful professionals in their life. I dont know about the others but I know about Geetyara Safia and Tapan Chowdhury and know that they are successful in their private lives and good citizens of the country. I think these are important ingredients for being good and able advisors. I cannot hardly recall an advisor who was not capable so it all depends on the actions of the caretaker govt as a whole and the decisions they take now. The ex governor of BB is also a very able person but it depends on how he takes his decisions in the next few days which would determine whether the crisis will be solved or not. Mr. Iajuddin although being capable took some controversial decisions and was not doing his job properly. I just hope calm persists in BD and I welcome the steps that Mr. Iajuddin has taken in the last few days although he could have done things better from the start or chnaged things earlier to save the public some of the sufferings.