facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Default Khaled Masud Myths - A Rebuttal

It's easy to compose all of Masud's statistics on one page and call him incompetent. So, why is Ash in the squad then? And, what the heck is Veeru doing in the Indian team?

Some of us may be trapped in our own number-based thinking. I think that is the basic difference between the thinking of a cricketer and a non-cricketer. That is probably why pretty much all of our experienced ex-skippers are calling this a wrong decision.

One ex-cricketer tells me, for a new-comer at the world-stage, the most difficult thing is making adjustment to his game in the middle of a match. This is something that comes with experience. That is why the cricket teams of the world stick to their experienced guns.

Remember Asif Karim in the last world cup? The Insurance salseman who was brought out of retirement to spearhead the Kenyan bowling. Obviously, other than experience, Asif did not have any performance numbers working for him. If you have already forgotten, Kenya made it to the SEMI-FINAL last time ! And Asif still holds the world record for best world cup bowling performance ! Do you wonder why Russel Arnold and Tuffey are included back in the WC squads of SL and NZ?

We all know, Pilot has to go. But dropping him from the WC squad is unthinkable. Let's listen to what we are saying:

- We are sending in the understudy in the WC 2007, the biggest cricket show on earth. (Let him use the most important matches of our cricket history to warm up and settle in. In the least, its gonna be fun watching him hobble under deep water...)

- We are dropping our most experienced wicket keeper at this stage, since we think this understudy, who barely has any credentials to his name, will do better with the bat in the World Cup. (Why, since we did not find any data to support this, we just asked him ! He promised to us he would try...)

- We come to this decision based on some runs he scored in our tour that concluded last week in Zimbabwe. ( Mushfiq was such a Tendulkar in Harare, we just could not leave him out... Now we are eyeing that 400+ to shut India out of the World cup..)

- Pilot ! He's just bad blood ! He's a big mouth ! (So, there ! Ha'ya like me naaau ?
I would do anything to stick it to him, even if that means weakening the national team ahead of the world cup..)

Pilot has to go. This is what I have written in my latest article recently. But, for that, we need to prepare his replacement properly. Give both of them and the team some time for adjustments. Instead, we pull the rug from under Pilot. Then we drop the rug over the tiny shoulders of the young one. Yeah ! Way to go Faruk bhai !

There is one word that describe doing an understudy experiment for the wicket keeper position INSIDE the world cup matches, leaving an experienced campaigner home - "STUPID". More so, this is no justice to young Mushfiqur Rahim. We saw how badly Rahim flops under pressure, even at his home ground at Bogra. Remember the Sri Lankan tour? I'm sure Mushfiq will play upto his potential for the foreseeable future in our national team, if we stop using him recklessly, to exact our personal revenge on another.

Sad thing is - this decision has "ego conflict" written all over it. The trouble between Pilot and some selectors was well-publicized before. Pilot has never been known to be diplomatic. As a selector, it would be my job to look away from these other issues, and deal with Pilot on a personal basis privately, instead of chopping him from the team. I would keep personal feeling away from selection, in the interest of selecting the best possible team for the world cup.

Now, it seems, that the selectors acted in malicious intent. They exacted their personal vandetta against Pilot. So, not only did they cut him from the world cup team using the most feeble of arguments, they are having to take other malicious steps to keep him out. Wrong only begets wrong.

Rajin Saleh - his hair and his self-confidence, are in a perpatual competition with each other for running out these days. For me, Farhad Reza is an easy choice over Rajin, specially considering the possible playing condition in Port of Spain.

Then there is Javed. Javed is not even assured of a spot in our Test team, let alone in the ODI world cup. Do you remember Javed's great recent performance? You don't? Funny, neither do I. Heck, even Javed is so surprised by it, he is attributing the whole thing to God's divine will.

Tamim, well, apologies to the fans that want Tamim to become an overnight superstar. However, this is the first time in history, a player was selected for world cup finals based on three 4s and two 6s.

Looks like these names were used just to block out the 14th and 15th position from Pilot. The selectors may not have done it with such intent, but now, that is what it looks like. The baffled fans, cricketers and ex-cricketers alike are wondering what Javed is doing in the squad, while Pilot sits out (Please don't attempt to compare Javed and Pilot's numbers here. If you do, you have missed the point completely). It also looks like the selectors were pushing Mushfiq's batting order just to push Pilot out. That just ain't cricket, man.

Well, there is a remedy for for every wrong. Better late than never, Faruk bhai. No, don't send a personal apology to Masud. No, don't take him out for Biryani at Samarkand. Don't promise him more matches after the world cup. Don't tell him in details about how we acknowledge his past contributions. Don't go and tell him we will still need him later.

Just bring him back in the WC 2007 squad.

WE
need him.

Old February 13, 2007, 06:12 PM
Club Cricketer

In the 'biggest cricket show in the earth' (of ODI and not Test matches) there is no need to bring in an underperformer. Still remember the SLankans ridiculed him by saying "Folks here starts Test match" duing ODI match.

It's a pity some people just want to hang on to their position and can't exit when they are at the pinnacle of their for careers (just like our politicians).

I know I can't speak for everybody - but according to me "GOOD RIDDANCE"!
Old February 13, 2007, 06:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Khaled masud facts not NUMBERS!!!

I have written this a few other times on other thread and will write it again. KMasud is worthless now, his experience will never buy him any runs. And he does make mistake from time to time also. Not like he is 100% safe.

Lets look at how his invaluable experience in the past helped the team..

a) He was there in the last WC (experienced player still), Also was the captain. Guess wat he did, he decided to bowl a part time off spinner in Sanwar hussain in the death overs when Taposh was bowling wonderfully well in the kenya match. do I need to mention that sanwar did a terrible job and the fact that we lost the match. Please do check the number of catches he missed at the last WC. Does not make a pleasent reading.

b) lets now look at 4 years more experienced pilot. He was again asked to captain the side in Bashar absense in the match we lost to Zimbabwe in the last over. A short sighted person would blame it on Mashrafee. But if u look at the larger picture the blame goes to pilot for sure. He dropped Shahadat right after he got his hattrick. Who does that???? Experience..U SURE.

c) He insulted the selectors by claiming that he is an automatic choice. I don know any other player doing that when he is in the worst form of his life. He got a 50% fine in match fee... Ask me...if i was in BCB i would terminate him immediately.

d) An experienced player must support the new people who comes to the team..instead his words clearly indicate that his presense is harmful for the team to play as a cohesive unit.

Neways to make it short...he deserved to be sacked...

BD cricket team is not a charity....u are not good enough than u don belong here...
Old February 13, 2007, 06:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

When a batsman - in a motive to keep himself not out and thus increase his average - expose tailenders to vulnerable attack, what do you find in the motive? It's simply unacceptable. How come you expect that player in WC squad? Simply pathetic
Old February 13, 2007, 06:45 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Billah bhai, its very easy to write an epic about Khaled Mashud and his contributions and all these myths by comparing with different players of different countries.

Now please answer,

1. What the heck Khaled Mashud has done in the last world cup except missing few catches, stumping chances, partying late at night? He was the captain and was a senior player.

2. The examples you are giving like Asif Karim, Tuffey, they are in different league, they performed in big occasions and repaid the faith. Khaled Mashud repaid the faith with the worst result and some defaming scandal for Bangladesh cricket (which led to investigation and resulted in instructions like not to make him Captain anymore) in the last world cup as a Captain. How can you trust and believe, Khaled Mashud will do something extraordinary this time?

He should have been dropped earlier for his lack of performance coupled with the controversy and bringing match fixing scandals into Bangladesh cricket.

He is one of the worst sportsman in BD cricket history. A big mouth with good wicket keeping skill and no respect for fellow players and the country.
Old February 13, 2007, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Billah bhai, its very easy to write an epic about Khaled Mashud and his contributions and all these myths by comparing with different players of different countries.

Now please answer,

1. What the heck Khaled Mashud has done in the last world cup except missing few catches, stumping chances, partying late at night? He was the captain and was a senior player.

2. The examples you are giving like Asif Karim, Tuffey, they are in different league, they performed in big occasions and repaid the faith. Khaled Mashud repaid the faith with the worst result and some defaming scandal for Bangladesh cricket (which led to investigation and resulted in instructions like not to make him Captain anymore) in the last world cup as a Captain. How can you trust and believe, Khaled Mashud will do something extraordinary this time?

He should have been dropped earlier for his lack of performance coupled with the controversy and bringing match fixing scandals into Bangladesh cricket.

He is one of the worst sportsman in BD cricket history. A big mouth with good wicket keeping skill and no respect for fellow players and the country.
Miraz: This is a texbook case for failure to see the big picture. I don't intend to engage in a point-by-point with you on this. It would be just too easy to mow you down on that. I will just sit back and wait for people with shallow understanding of cricket to ripen up... with time... of course..
Old February 13, 2007, 06:53 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
I will just sit back and wait for people with shallow understanding of cricket to ripen up... with time... of course..
Very well said. I will do the same and will have some discussions then.

Thank you.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:03 PM
BC Editorial Team

Default err, my butt to yours ... :)

Billah,

Agree with you on the Rajin and JO selection. I would have gone with Farhad and TI/Rana. Don't forget Rana was phenomenal in the ODIs in Windies.

Now to your Pilot arguments. I agree with everything you say about mental adjustments, experience and stuff that Mushfiq is lacking. I would also suspect that you are right in the whole ego battle between selectors and Pilot. In spite of all these reasons, and perhaps accidentally so on part of the selectors, dropping him was the right thing to do

You see (and I suspect you know this already), at some point in time for all athletes, the body just stops doing what the mind is telling it to do. Sadly, that is what has happened to Pilot. Watching him in almost all BD matches over the last year and a half, it's obvious that his body is gone. It's not without reason that he can't even buy a run in our notoriously sub-standard domestic games - this from a man who had made a career of essaying bloody minded innings (the Tugga of our side at one time). It's not without reason that a guy who's been remarkably resilient has picked up an injury. Heck, even his running between the wicket has gotten slower. Frankly, I thought his keeping was starting to look shoddy too - did you notice how he's started to grab at balls - even when he's anticipated them? The mind's still there but the sinews are shot. On a personal level, I'm sad really - Pilot remains one of my favorite BD players of all time but that doesn't change the facts. This btw is in direct contrast to the Viru situation where the physical ability is quite evidently there but the mental side has waned; hence his selection. Tuffey - who else was available for NZ? Arnold? He is expected to be a reserve/cover (where experience is handy) - not an indispensable part of the playing 11 as the sole WK in our side has to be.

As for the WK who is going, Mushfique can undoubtedly choke but at least should he not, there's the prospect of us getting some useful runs from him. With Pilot, even if he is reading the situation perfectly, knows exactly how the pitch is behaving, etc - we can't expect that any more.

Then there's the "other" ego issue. Bashar is one cricket's genuine, min mini nice guys. He's never shown an inclination for power accumulation. When he also doesn't bat for the guy that should tell you something. Bashar read the Pilot's recent media barbs for what they were - "rage against the advancing inabilities" - and he knew that in such situation, players become very selfish. Such a player can become cancerous. Doubly more so, if they are recalled after being originally left out.

Bangladesh is not a good enough side to carry a proud warrior who no longer has IT. While the end can be cruel - as Messrs Healy, Waqar, Thorpe, Border, et al can attest to - it's time to let him go. I salute Pilot for being such a great servant for BD Cricket. In time he will see the situation for what it is and no doubt come back to serve the cause in a different role.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:06 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

While I agree with Rahim's selection, the manner with which this was done, does leave a sour aftertaste. Even if the selection did not have any malicious intent,Faruk & Co. sure have done a helluva job of making it look like a 'hit-mission.' Why else would they exclude Mashud, first on the pretext of resting him, then for injury, all the time reassuring him of his place? Why couldn't they ever come out and say...' You are DROPPED before of your performance.' Which is ofcourse, until now. I dont think this hoopla would have followed, if the proper procedures were followed.
Javed Omar...well dont even get me started on that!

Last edited by roaring tigerz; February 13, 2007 at 07:14 PM..
Old February 13, 2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:

Now please answer,

I am glued with Miraz bhai's logic! Can't blame me!!
Old February 13, 2007, 07:21 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Razab bhai, a very good post with well-built reasoning.

Many players see the distance and decide to call it off while some can't.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:21 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Miraz - show a little respect for the guy whose one shot set Bangladesh on course to become a Test nation. As for his big mouth - for me it was great to have a player who wouldn't be cowered by the opposition but would talk back smack. He is definitely one of the BEST sportsmen in BD history - not just cricket. Sadly he's just too old now.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Sorry I cannot agree to Billah Bhai's reasons at all. Experience alone will not do any good to Bangladesh. Why should Bangladesh go in with a wicketkeeper who is a burden to their batting line up is beyond me. I guess all the answers will be found in the WC matches when you will have Mushfique playing. I just ask you to wait and watch and compare Mushfique's performance in this WC with KM's in the last world cup and we all know how wonderful, KM with all his experience, performed in the last world cup. Even if Mushfique doesnt do anything stellar and just takes the catches and makes the regulation stumpings his performance would be much better compared to KM's.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:29 PM
Banned

Razaaaaaaaab !

I'm disappointed, man !

You can put the body issue to rest. Pilot is just about the fittest of them. Heck, that would have been the easiest of excuses for the selectors to use. But, Pilot is very fit, does well with the performance tests.

You can ask our physio for fitness data. I can assure you - this is not the case.

Pilot has been disappointing in batting - a fact.

Mushfiq is a good replacement for the upcoming world cup in March 07 - A fiction.

A myth in the making.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:30 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Miraz - show a little respect for the guy whose one shot set Bangladesh on course to become a Test nation. As for his big mouth - for me it was great to have a player who wouldn't be cowered by the opposition but would talk back smack. He is definitely one of the BEST sportsmen in BD history - not just cricket. Sadly he's just too old now.
I think you are recalling that famous six against Kenya, it's a bit too much to say that set the course to become a test nation as our world cup berth was booked before that match. That was a glorious moment, no doubt.

He served the nation, true. Every national player of every sports do that. He was fine until he got the captaincy. The rest is history, I don't want to bring back the memories of those sad old days.

I do salute him for whatever contribution he made for Bangladesh. I expect, he is given a proper opportunity to say 'good bye'.

Unfortunately I can't agree that he was a great sportsman.

you know, every person has got different perspective.
Old February 13, 2007, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Default nice butt, razab ;)

after reading your posts in this thread
Old February 13, 2007, 07:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee & Shakib

Pilot was definitely one of the greats of Bangladesh cricket. I have full respect for his contributions. But now, I think it time for somebody else to take over the responsibility and Pilot should move on. I think his performance in batting and wicket keeping has declined, so this change was inevitable
Old February 13, 2007, 08:01 PM
Test Cricketer

What if Rahim does not perform well in the wc? Would the selectors go back to Mashud asking him to keep back the gloves for the (very important!) tour of India?
Old February 13, 2007, 08:14 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

Khaled Masud has done it all for us. Recently his performence for the team wasn't what the team management expected. Still, I believe that he should get another few chances to prove that he deserves to be in the WC Squad. I'm taking about divisional/Club cricket. Why did't the selectors let him have few chances to bat on top order? They've always complained about his poor performance. It was the selector who had placed him in 7 down or 8 down. How much can a cricketer contribute for the team as a BATSMAN in 7 or 8 down???? The team management needs to realize that. My point is very simple.... We know that Pilot is playing Club cricket now. Therefore, he shold be given atlest 3 matches to perform his best, in that way the selectors would rethink about bringing him back to the WC SQUAD??? Another question i'm throwing freaking team management, "What has ASHRAFUL performed lately that placed him in the squad?"
<>
Old February 13, 2007, 08:18 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by billah
You can put the body issue to rest. Pilot is just about the fittest of them.
I mentioned nothing about fitness man. Right now I can go to the park and find 10 60+ dadus who are going to out last me in a sprintathon. But will I run _faster_ than them until I'm gassed? Assuredly. Will I be able to connect a bat with a ball better than them due to 30s years less wear and tear on my body and 30 years younger reflexes? Again assuredly.

Pilot can be fit as a fiddle. Doesn't mean he can get it done in the middle. Which Mushfique - IFF he doesn't choke - might be able to.
Old February 13, 2007, 08:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
Then there's the "other" ego issue. Bashar is one cricket's genuine, min mini nice guys. He's never shown an inclination for power accumulation. When he also doesn't bat for the guy that should tell you something. Bashar read the Pilot's recent media barbs for what they were - "rage against the advancing inabilities" - and he knew that in such situation, players become very selfish. Such a player can become cancerous. Doubly more so, if they are recalled after being originally left out.

Bangladesh is not a good enough side to carry a proud warrior who no longer has IT. While the end can be cruel - as Messrs Healy, Waqar, Thorpe, Border, et al can attest to - it's time to let him go. I salute Pilot for being such a great servant for BD Cricket. In time he will see the situation for what it is and no doubt come back to serve the cause in a different role.
very well said.

both sides to this debate have merit and i really can't pick one way or the other.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 13, 2007, 08:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i'm more upset about javed's inclusion, and surprised by tamim's.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old February 13, 2007, 08:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypoint
In the 'biggest cricket show in the earth' (of ODI and not Test matches) there is no need to bring in an underperformer. Still remember the SLankans ridiculed him by saying "Folks here starts Test match" duing ODI match.

It's a pity some people just want to hang on to their position and can't exit when they are at the pinnacle of their for careers (just like our politicians).

I know I can't speak for everybody - but according to me "GOOD RIDDANCE"!
It was Sangakara who said 'guys now it's test match'.

As a batsman I won't take him but as a wicketkeeper we gonna miss him soon. I don't know how good Mushi is as a keeper but as a batsman he is improving. So lets hope he does well in the WC.

But I just don't get why JO is in the team. This is ridiculous. We are walking backwards rather than going forwrds.

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old February 13, 2007, 09:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, Moyna, Cutter, Task

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHasan
It was Sangakara who said 'guys now it's test match'.

As a batsman I won't take him but as a wicketkeeper we gonna miss him soon. I don't know how good Mushi is as a keeper but as a batsman he is improving. So lets hope he does well in the WC.

But I just don't get why JO is in the team. This is ridiculous. We are walking backwards rather than going forwrds.
very well said brother. i agree with u 100%
Old February 13, 2007, 09:48 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Uff pilot rey to dekhi apnara gilcrist banay felsen jey orey chara bd teamer ki hobey...

Ki r hobey India, srilanka r shatey amneo harbey omney harbey so ato lafalfir ki dorker
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled