facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old May 31, 2004, 05:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default Indifference or Ignorance

Indifference or ignorance?
Rabeed Imam from St Lucia

It's a little difficult at times to actually take in the amount of ignorance shown by people of other countries towards Bangladesh cricket.
Well, it's easier to forgive if someone comes over and inquires whether Bangladesh is a part of India or if women wear veils and actually have the freedom to work there because he or she has heard that it's a country similar to Afghanistan under the deposed Taliban regime.

But when perfectly cricket-literate journos and officials wonder if this has been one of the better days for Bangladesh in Test cricket after the team crosses 250 or has the nerve to ask the coach if he is concerned about the match finishing in three or four days given the Tigers' 'history' after they had ended day two on 406 for nine, you have a hard time keeping composure.

"The Bangladesh team now have a high standard that they accept and they play to it. Getting beaten in three days and bowling to the opposition hoping for a declaration, I think those days are gone and hopefully it will never come back to Bangladesh cricket. It's not to say that won't happen but it's a different attitude. It's a new way of approaching cricket that we have accepted and people can see it," Whatmore told a local newsman.

But the argument did not end there.

In a popular cricket programme televised from Barbados, the host and his guest on Sunday, the former West Indies opener Philo Wallace, went to great length debating the bowling actions of Mushfiqur Rahman and Tareq Aziz Khan. Some aggrieved caller had wanted to know if the "fellow who got Lara out had a suspect action?" While Mushfique passed the test, poor Tareq was branded a 'suspect' by whom else but Wallace!

In many ways the present West Indies team is walking the same path as Bangladesh -- trying to be competitive although the pride won't allow them to admit it. Getting out for less than 100 seven times in Tests over the last five years or getting massacred under 50 is not something Bangladesh have experienced in their four years of Test cricket.

Bangladesh were seen as a chance to roll over but on the field it's proving a different ball game. Wins for the West Indies in the one-day series came more due to luck than ability and the Tigers exposed the inadequacy of the pace quartet on tracks conducive to batting.

It's their glittering history and the genius of Lara that still make the Windies sparkle every once in a while. But there is unmistakable talent, raw talent coming through. However, they have some distance to go before the West Indies can be called a team. Bangladesh is nearly there.

Daily StarSource:

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by pompous]

Old May 31, 2004, 06:18 PM
Retired BC Admin

No wonder it came from our beloved writer, Rabeed Imam. He has been intrumental in covering all aspects imaginable of Bangladesh cricket with sharp eyes and even sharper and charming pen. Salute to you, tiger.
Old May 31, 2004, 06:30 PM
Street Cricketer

Excellent article by Rabed Imam!
I have been listening to the radio commentary for the last four days. I have been amused by how the commentators are falling over themselves trying to prove how West Indies is the better team and all the advantages that the Tigers have are somehow due to bad fortune or mistakes of the Windies.
I personally feel that this is actually a victory in sorts for the Tigers. The Windies did not find the Bangladesh team to be the push over as they expected - thus their defensive tactics. The more they try to justify their position in this match the more we should consider it as a moral victory.
I still believe that with some application tomorrow morning, we can pull off a victory. The Windies may seem to be on top now, but set them a reasonable target on a diminishing wicket and we might be pleasantly surprised. Go Tigers!
Old May 31, 2004, 07:14 PM
First Class Cricketer

The real question is "Is West Indies able to chase 158 for victory, given their propensity for folding for 47 runs"

Also, can anyone fill me in as to whether West Indies is a country or not ?
Old May 31, 2004, 07:19 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

I think this link will give ur answer
Old May 31, 2004, 09:35 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

The article was very timely. It is very frustrating to read some of the ignorant comments that fly around in most discourses amongst foreign "experts" and cricket fans about Bangladesh Cricket. Nothing is sacred. I have seen, our eating habits, our physical stature, and other attributes subjected to disparaging (and often inaccurate) comments. We should really stop taking such attitude from others, and pay them back with interest whenever we get the chance. The greatest payback of course will be on the cricket field. The Tigers are trying really hard, and I have faith in them. They will silence their critics with solid performances.
Old May 31, 2004, 10:08 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

is there any way to contact him? he should write opposing the 2/3 tier cricket system. since, jadu modhu like us will not have much impact writing about it. but he has his place in cricInfo and his write ups will have more weights.
Old May 31, 2004, 10:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by paco
The real question is "Is West Indies able to chase 158 for victory, given their propensity for folding for 47 runs"

The West Indies is not a country ; the West Indies is a composite side, selected from a whole bunch of independant countries (Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica etc)
Old May 31, 2004, 10:46 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Quote:
Originally posted by paco

yes, they can, quite easily. 47 does not happen everyday. if we could not give them a target of at least 250 and an RR of 5, we will lose this game.

ok, is it possible? we need to bat for 40 more overs to let them have 50 overs. this is not possible unless another miracle like rafique's century happens. and say it does, we stay on the crease for 40 overs, what we still need another 100 runs. possible? yes, if this pilot-rajin pair can keep it cool. so, its all about how much time we can waste tomorrow before WI can bat.
Old June 1, 2004, 02:04 AM
Cricket Legend

if u take in to account the rain... that senario doesn't work. Everything depends on how much it of it will be there today
Old June 1, 2004, 03:46 AM
First Class Cricketer

Paradise turning Hell for BD

We all believe Rajin is much better player than what his avg shows. He needs to step up to the plate in this critical juncture. He posses all the technic and skills necessary to become a match winner, but alas the team has never won any.

Unless a team wins, stellar performances like those of bashar's, Rafiq's, Ashraful's will go under the carpet. It's that crucial 20mins that ruined it all for these valiant souls.

Time to regroup, and today is a brand new day. Tigers should play for the draw, and they know much better than me how to perform to achieve that.

Rafiq played wonderfully in the 1st innings, and did his part in the making of a history. If he does that again, that would be unexpected and most welcomed under the current circumstances. But we should consider otherwise.

No matter what happens, we have bigger hearts to absorb anything that may come. What we want is just to keep our heads high. We may bicker about banglos, bangles or whatever, but we just dont want them to bicker over our tigers' potential.

Good luck on 5th day!
Old June 1, 2004, 05:01 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Bangladesh were seen as a chance to roll over but on the field it's proving a different ball game. Wins for the West Indies in the one-day series came more due to luck than ability and the Tigers exposed the inadequacy of the pace quartet on tracks conducive to batting.

It's their glittering history and the genius of Lara that still make the Windies sparkle every once in a while. But there is unmistakable talent, raw talent coming through. However, they have some distance to go before the West Indies can be called a team. Bangladesh is nearly there. [/quote]

No dear, with the exception of the first ODI WI rolled over BD in the ODI series ..... call it whatever you like but not the lack of ability. How more contradictory can you get when in the next para you state that there is unmistakable talent????????? So what does talent = luck??????

I wouldn't presume to know what you were smoking when you were trying to complete this article but I submit, whatever it was it impaired your judgement!!!!

No one involved in WI cricket or the fans will ever say that we are happy with the way things have gone for WI in the recent past both on and off the field. There are serious questions that have been raised and which must be addressed if we are to get back to the top (mu lifetime????????)!!! There is no doubt about, we will not hide our heads in the sand because we all want our team to resort to their successfull ways!!!

However to compare WI to BD and say that WI has a distance to go before being called a team whilst BD is nearly there is as pathetic and naieve as anyone could be!!!! in future put the pipe far away, complete your articles and then take a smoke!!!!!!!

Regards,

Honest WI Fan!!!
Old June 1, 2004, 05:51 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Wins for the West Indies in the one-day series came more due to luck than ability
OMG!, this person needs a kick.
Old June 1, 2004, 06:06 PM
Club Cricketer

I know, posting late, but I just saw this aritcle today. U know u have the correct screen name. I can't believe that u could even compare WI & BD. Callling BD closer to a team than WI? Are u really serious? How many test series have you won yet alone a test match!? And ODIs? BD has one 4! And the teams?: Kenya, Scotland, Pakistan & Zimbabwe. The one good team there being Pak.

Compare the WI batsmen to yours, statistically, they're not even close. One of your players making more 50s than the rest of the team combined!

Bowlers: our mediocre pace bowlers still have better stats than yours. And have more of a match winning ability.

I must admit WI fans do get carried away with their predictions on the results of matches and the opposing team, but that's just the nature of passionate fans hoping for the impossible which u should not take as the general view of all WI fans. And that's the thing I do not like about you comments, you take the worst comments and make it seems as if it's the general consensus.

I'll say again, good performance by the Tigers, because they made the runs and proved that they can bat and bat with composure. But one thing I will say though is that there's no disputing the fact that the pitch was a ODI-type made to last 5 days. So until I see BD one a pitch with a bit more pace. I'll reserve my judgement.