facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2008, 07:04 PM
ODI Cricketer

Default Do we have talented players?

I have been reading closely, various posts regarding the performance of our team, as a whole or as individual players. I have also read the posts on computing batting averages with keen interest. No matter how you spin it – whether you use all data, or exclude the outliers or even do hypothesis test of players scores, maybe for “not out” scores we could use techniques in censored data analysis. Just kidding. The bottom line is the same - there really isn’t much difference in the performance of our batsmen. One formula may rank one player higher than the other, but I don’t see much qualitative difference. These are really statistical issues for which there isn’t much need here.

All of us agree in unison that our batting has been pathetic lately. The thing that is lacking most is consistency. One 50 here and another 10 matches later is not going to take us too far. We have tried experienced, debutants, young and old, tall and short, nothing changes the scenario much. The question we need to ask is: how do we improve? Then there are other associated questions that will come up. First of which is, do we really have talent? I may disappoint a lot of people, but I don’t think we have enough talent to bear fruit at the top international level. There is so much hype about the under-19s and younger age groups. Something happens between that period and the time when they come into the senior team. I don’t know if it is because they are pushed in too early or simply because the transition is not smooth enough. Meaning, maybe the opposition is suddenly too strong for the youngsters. Probably, our expectations are brutal and unjustified as well. Those who are at the helm should be trying to find out what really goes wrong in the interim period.

These days the kids get so much more facilities and training. So there cannot be much complaint on that ground. If we assume that we really do not have great talent base how would we improve our domestic cricket? Average players playing against other average players will create winners who are nothing more than the average. Again, if this assumption is true we are never going to perform against quality opposition, let alone teams like South Africa. At this level we cannot say SA is too strong. Then we should not be playing in this elite league. Don’t get me wrong, several years back we argued about the 2-tier ICC discussions. I am not in favor of that. But we also need to be realistic, which team would like to host us in our present state. These are not weekend afternoon games. Cricket is a big enterprise and if it does not make sense financially, we will be out of the picture one-way or the other. ICC has their calendar and because of that teams have to play against us. But we need to get our act together and make those matches less of heartache for us - fans - and farce to the rest of the world.

One thing that I always felt was that we were not being invited often by our three Asian test-playing nations. The physical proximity should have been exploited. We need to play much more of first class and limited over matches with their zonal/regional/state teams. We should send most of our national team players – not just ‘A team’ players - but not call it the national team. Our players never had that intermediate step. I am ignoring our local leagues. They were suddenly pushed into the deep end. The other suggestion that I have is to bring current quality international test/ODI players and make them play in our domestic cricket. But I guess that will become more and more difficult with the advent of IPL and ICL. Those players are more expensive than diamonds.

" target="_blank"> But say I am wrong and we actually do have talented players, why then are we not performing? I don’t mean a handful of good players. How good is talent if it is non-performing. It is like saying that kid is very talented but he does not study hard and does not do as well in his exams. We need a pipeline through which young players will graduate to be full time national team players and make their mark in International cricket.

Man for man we do not match up to any of the other 8 test teams. I doubt if we can beat the rejuvenated Zimbabwe team now. But we are always thinking of a miracle. But miracle is a miracle, they happen rarely. Just like our victories. Having said all these, even 4 hours before the 3rd ODI I am hoping that we will do well.

Old March 13, 2008, 07:28 PM
Administrator

No.
Old March 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
Street Cricketer

That's a very interesting question, "Do Bangladesh have talented players?". One word, "NO". The players that I've seen so far are average to below average if you compare to the best in the world. There were hype about players. But they haven't been able to substantiate that with any kind of consistent achievement. I think Ashraful, Mashrafe, Razzak and few other has the potential, but they lack mental strength. Most athletes will reach a certain stage no matter what, but the mental strength and drive that makes them ahead of the most. Most of these Bangladeshi players lack this drive and mental strength. I wish they somehow regain pride and push for higher level of achievement. Rafiq is probably the only player that I've seen on the field with that kind of drive.
Old March 13, 2008, 07:45 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

I dont wanna read all that. But to answer your question the answer is ovbiously NO. Calling our players "talented" is misuse of the actual word.
Old March 13, 2008, 08:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafiq

Thanks Cricket46. Its a nice read.
The answer is NO.
Old March 13, 2008, 08:13 PM
ODI Cricketer

No.
Old March 13, 2008, 08:49 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Yes we do have talented players but as always they are forced to perform prematurely before getting nurtured properly.
Old March 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
ODI Cricketer

We dont need talented cricketer...we need consistant performer in the field!
No matter how talented you are, if you can't play good in field, you are just useless!
Somebody told before, a genious is 10% of telent and 90% of practice.....
Old March 13, 2008, 09:07 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Tamim, Ash, Mash, Shahadat, Aftab are all talented players. One of our problems is that we cant find batsmen who can score consistently and that is at the heart of our problems...hopefully we have found the answer in Rakibul but unlikely, truth is our players are not quite as good as we hold them. But that does not mean we cant win matches such as todays, with a strong team performance and discipline we can grind out ODI victories no doubt.
Old March 13, 2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

Ache ache . Talanted player onek ache. E H Moni kintu talnted player chilo halay ekhon umpire hoise.

Toba sotti kotha bolta ki talented player ache jader porisrom kora consistently bhalo perform kora sikhta hobe. Era keu kosto korta chay na. Ashrafool kintu tader modhe ekjon j maathe b...... chirta naame aar duck maare.
Old March 13, 2008, 09:42 PM
Banned

Right, I would say BD does have very talented players...BUT, Its not comming in to use because number of professional cricketers in Bangladesh is lower then any other test playing countries yet we boast of cricket loving country with 140 million ppl! I mean Half of the Stadiums are empty when BD are hosting matches!! Now this is not new that players are drafted in to play against the best before getting groomed...this is done completly out of desperate situation where BD has no above average players..so they bank on "Talented" who turn out to be hit and miss batsman lacking basic techniqes....I personally do not see BD winning many games against top sides because of this reason and young players are kept under pressure from start of their career. There is a possibility that 2 years from now BD will have a new look side and they will be in the same position as today! So playing tests and odi against the best at this stage is not helping BD... but humilation...
Old March 13, 2008, 09:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

Talent and Skill is co-related word/term.
According to wikipedia
Talent may refer to: Talent, a personal gift/skill
and
A skill is the learnt capacity or talent to carry out pre-determined results often with the minimum outlay of time, energy, or both.

So do we have talented cricketer by its defination?
Old March 14, 2008, 12:16 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Talent means nothing if you cant convert them into something real tangible.

Our super talented players have failed over and over again...
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 14, 2008, 12:18 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
No.
Mama, of course we do!

How many of our losses have actually been because the other team beat us? I'll bet even australia loses more matches due to the opposition actually outplaying them.

We are rarely outplayed, but nearly always outfoxed.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old March 14, 2008, 12:19 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib, Tamim, Tendulkar

Hell No
Old March 14, 2008, 08:21 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

No

u r a good stud, how can u prove?

The result.

See the score card