facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 4, 2008, 10:29 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Bashar sets sight on ICL semifinals

From BDNews24.com

Dhaka, Oct 4 (bdnews24.com) – The 'rebel' cricketers, led by former Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar, left Dhaka Saturday morning for the Indian city of Chandigarh via Delhi to take part in the breakaway Indian Cricket League (ICL) with hopes of qualifying for the semifinals.

The Dhaka Warriors will start their campaign against inaugural league champions Chennai Super Star on Oct 11 in the 11-team second edition twenty20 meet.

"We will represent Bangladesh rather than play for a foreign team, and if we perform well, then it will certainly delight Bangladeshi fans," Bashar told reporters during the players' departure at Zia International Airport.

"Our first target is to qualify for the semifinals, and then we will consider the rest," said Bangladesh's most successful captain.

Bashar sought blessings from the countrymen to do well in the 'rebel cricket league', saying the nation's support would greatly inspire them.

"We will hope for a little support from all, and all players from Dhaka Warriors will be very grateful to our countrymen if they back us," said the 36-year-old batsman, adding that they felt cornered after signing for the ICL.

Eight top cricketers, contracted by the Bangladesh Cricket Board, retired last month from all forms of cricket to play the ICL—facing a backlash and prompting huge debate in the country on whether they should play the ICL instead of for the national team.

Following the cricketers' retirement, the BCB who does not recognise the ICL banned those cricketers for 10 years for playing the league.

However, hard-hitter batsman Aftab Ahmed is still dreaming of returning to the national fold and requested the board to reconsider its decision.

"I want to play for the country, but don't know how it is possible now," Aftab said regretfully. "I hope the board will reconsider us."

Aftab felt no better at the airport as he was leaving the country for the first time without wearing the national jersey.

Wicketkeeper Dhiman Ghosh, however, was in a different mood.

"I have given back to Bangladesh as much as it has helped me build up my career," said the 20-year-old wicketkeeper, who has played only 14 one-day internationals for Bangladesh.

Middle order batsman Alok Kapali sees playing in the ICL as a challenge as questions about his ability had arisen in the national team.

"I have taken it as a challenge and want to prove wrong what had been said about me," said Kapali, who returned to form hitting a century against India in the Asia Cup.

Those who left for India are: Habibul Bashar, Shahriar Nafees, Aftab Ahmed, Alok Kapali, Tapash Baisya, Nazim Uddin, Farhad Reza, Mosharraf Hossain Rubel, Dhiman Ghosh, Mohammad Rafique, Manjurul Islam, Mahbubul Karim, Golam Mabud and Mohammad Sharif.

Link

Old October 4, 2008, 10:58 AM
Cricket Legend

I would rant. So if you don't want to hear/read anything bad against Dhaka Cowards don't read
Quote:
"We will represent Bangladesh rather than play for a foreign team, and if we perform well, then it will certainly delight Bangladeshi fans,"
Who recognized you as Bangladesh team. Even ICL do not consider you as Bangladesh team. The rebel SL, WI and Eng team played as SL, WI and Eng in apatihied SA. They were not considered as SL, WI and Eng team. Yes if you play well it will certainly delight as same as if Japan (I spend there for three year) plays well it delight me. But I know you would be a quarterfinalist in a tournament of eight.
Quote:
"We will hope for a little support from all, and all players from Dhaka Warriors will be very grateful to our countrymen if they back us," said the 36-year-old batsman, adding that they felt cornered after signing for the ICL.
Why you want our support ? Did you consider how much damage you caused us emotionally and in terms of Public Relation for Bangladesh cricket? You want us to support you so that you could get better deals next time. At least if BCB sponsored team get better deal it would improve our infrastructure.
Quote:
"I want to play for the country, but don't know how it is possible now," Aftab said regretfully. "I hope the board will reconsider us."
Return the money to ICL with interest. Ask for forgiveness to the board and fan. Then certainly board would consider
Quote:
Wicketkeeper Dhiman Ghosh, however, was in a different mood. "I have given back to Bangladesh as much as it has helped me build up my career,"
Can some one calculate how much money we paid for 126 runs, 9 catches and 4 stumpings. I am on the verge of forgiving Pilot for all his deeds in 2003; Ash and JS of all the post 2007 fiasco due to this loudmouth (actually I want write something A rated)
Quote:
"I have taken it as a challenge and want to prove wrong what had been said about me," said Kapali, who returned to form hitting a century against India in the Asia Cup.
Two 80s gave you a pass to ride in the team for two years. Now you want a 100 to give you another two years. You could not prove anybody wrong; because you are as smart as Dubya

Last edited by thebest; October 4, 2008 at 01:37 PM..
Old October 4, 2008, 12:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Aftab, Bashar and Rafique are the ones who I wish they do well and I hope AA does come back

I can call the rest of them Traitors and not even feel the slightest remorse
Old October 4, 2008, 05:15 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Wicketkeeper Dhiman Ghosh, however, was in a different mood.

"I have given back to Bangladesh as much as it has helped me build up my career," said the 20-year-old wicketkeeper, who has played only 14 one-day internationals for Bangladesh.
Dhiman you are The Biggest Baiman. How can he say things so blatently.
Old October 4, 2008, 05:43 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Bashar sought blessings from the countrymen to do well in the 'rebel cricket league', saying the nation's support would greatly inspire them.
If someone's brother/Sis leaves home, people feel bad but don't curse them. Wish you guys all the best. Keep Dhaka Warriors alive in ICL.

Those who all are abusing you today, it's not from their heart. Some day they will embrace you as national heroes. Not many has the heart to support a revolution instantly. I am sure you have started it & you have to continue it and be successful in what you have started.

All the best wishes for Dhaka Warriors. Long live 'Dhaka Warriors'
Old October 5, 2008, 04:25 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Lets go Warriors! Do us proud...YOU GOT IT!
Old October 5, 2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Sylheti Kapali

If standing up to bullies (BCCI) and at the same time giving pleasure to millions of people (wether they admit it or not) is a crime, then so be it.

Just play to your potential and it wont be long before these people will be singing from a different song sheet.

COME ON DHAKA WARRIORS, LETS KICK SOME A--
EEEHAAAAAA.
Old October 5, 2008, 09:03 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

thebest and Mohammed bhai summed it all. No need for further explanation.
Old October 5, 2008, 08:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Go Bashar Go !!!!
Old October 5, 2008, 11:38 PM
Banned

Habibul "pig" Bashar wants our support to be inspired, which in turn will help him play well.

What, he never had any support before? If he did, he wasn't inspired? And if he was, why did it not make him play well?
Old October 6, 2008, 12:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pundit
Habibul "pig" Bashar wants our support to be inspired, which in turn will help him play well.

What, he never had any support before? If he did, he wasn't inspired? And if he was, why did it not make him play well?
Why do you think Bashar did not play well? He is the highest run scorer for Bangladesh in tests. How many players have better average than him?
Old October 6, 2008, 12:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

GO DHAKA WARRIORS GO!!!
Win the ICL and Make us Proud!!!
Old October 6, 2008, 02:27 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Lets go Dhaka Warriors! Cant wait for the first match against the defending champs...