facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Match Archive

Match Archive Relive the match-time passion (Read Only)

Old May 22, 2005, 12:02 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatcher
The problem with Ash is he is too concerned about himself than the team, always wants to show off his capabilities. If Musfiq can avoid those tendencies, he will have lot more successful career.
I don't agree what ever he does i am sure he is not a show off for sure.... he might be restless but not show off

Old May 22, 2005, 12:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Flipper, please don't get me wrong. I loved what Mushfiq did today. But this is a second string county bowling side. A century against them really does not qualify him to play Harmison and Hoggard together. I really hoped he would be given more time for full maturity. But look like picking any other option will be politically very dangerous for the management.

Please don't get mad at me.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Flipper, please don't get me wrong. I loved what Mushfiq did today. But this is a second string county bowling side. A century against them really does not qualify him to play Harmison and Hoggard together. I really hoped he would be given more time for full maturity. But look like picking any other option will be politically very dangerous for the management.

i agree with you completely. mushfique played very well in australia too. but again that was another level of cricket. let him climb the steps of the ladder one by one to get to the top instead of someone dragging him from the top. this would only hurt him. but letting him climb each step is just going to give him more maturity and confidence. because he will know that he knows how it felt to climb each step of the ladder and he will understand how hard it was to get to the top. and then he will be able to value that more.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Flipper
I don't know how many tons Ash had before his inclusion, but it's a totally wrong information that he was there for his batting. He was included as a spinner !
Thats not really true, although a lot of people have been saying this very thing here recently. I think it might be a case of mixing up Ashraful with Kapali, and this misconception is being aided by the fact that Ashraful batted at number 7 in his first Test. Ashraful came into the team after a strong domestic season, and especially after a good century (as an opener) against the visiting Australian Commonwealth Bank Academy team which toured Bangladesh in 2001.

His was also a leg-spinner, but it is completely false that he was picked for his spin, because he never did anything unbelievable with his spin in domestic cricket. Those of you who were at Teststatus.com at the time will remember this very well.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:19 PM
Test Cricketer

politically! - preposterous
Old May 22, 2005, 12:23 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:

Watcher, I am not mad, trust me. I have to admit, and agree with you on this issue that We are puting Mushfique hurridly in the test games. But, looking at our star performers' attitutude and failure, I have no other choice. If our star performers can't face a second string bowling, and he can, then he is a damm well bet for the Lords Test to face Harmison and Hoggard.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:24 PM
Test Cricketer

what's the difference of a someone doing 0s and 1s consistently while another getting 100s?
to some exclude the batsman getting the 100. So why did mushfiq score 100 for?
Ofcourse to prove his worth and get into the playing XI. And he deserves every chance to get into the team.
Some ppl compare early ash with current mushfiq and draw the wrong conclusion - dont include mushfiq. Hey, ash is here and so should mushfiq.
You will not do any justice to rajin and BD cricket if you include him for the tests and he does bad and then gets thrown away like others before him. So, let him stay in the sidelines and get determined enough so that the next opportunity he gets he can really show what he has learnt.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:27 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
Quote:
I don't know how many tons Ash had before his inclusion, but it's a totally wrong information that he was there for his batting. He was included as a spinner !
Thats not really true, although a lot of people have been saying this very thing here recently. I think it might be a case of mixing up Ashraful with Kapali, and this misconception is being aided by the fact that Ashraful batted at number 7 in his first Test. Ashraful came into the team after a strong domestic season, and especially after a good century (as an opener) against the visiting Australian Commonwealth Bank Academy team which toured Bangladesh in 2001.

His was also a leg-spinner, but it is completely false that he was picked for his spin, because he never did anything unbelievable with his spin in domestic cricket. Those of you who were at Teststatus.com at the time will remember this very well.

Nope, he was picked for his spin. This is just one proof of what I said:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...622174,00.html
Old May 22, 2005, 12:32 PM
Test Cricketer

Please Cut and paste the above link.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:36 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, let me try to sort out the confusion a little bit. Ashraful didn't make the squad as a spinner. He made the squad as a batsman. If he couldn't bat, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the team, because both in domestic cricket and against touring sides, he played as a batsman who could bowl leg-spin, and this is how he got into the squad.

As for that particular Test match against Sri Lanka, the selectors took Ashraful because his leg-spin (on top of his batting) could come off handy. So yes, he was picked mainly because he could bowl spin, but not as a spinner, if you can see what I mean.

Let me try to explain this further. If Aftab plays on Thursday, it is very likely that he will be picked mainly because of his bowling. That is to say, he is a batsman who can bowl seam. It doesnt mean that he is picked as a seamer!! Get it?

Edited on, May 22, 2005, 5:42 PM GMT, by Sham.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:40 PM
Test Cricketer

I guess Mushfiqur at least won't be chosen for his Weket Keeping!
Old May 22, 2005, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I guess Mushfiqur at least won't be chosen for his Weket Keeping!
true. atleast for now his batting is the main part. maybe he can be the keeper for a couple of overs to give pilot some rest. but i think that wont be necessary.
Old May 22, 2005, 12:42 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, let me try to sort out the confusion a little bit. Ashraful didn't make the squad as a spinner. He made the squad as a batsman. If he couldn't bat, he wouldn't have been anywhere near the team, because both in domestic cricket and against touring sides, he played as a batsman who could bowl leg-spin, and this is how he got into the squad.

As for that particular Test match against Sri Lanka, the selectors took Ashraful because his leg-spin (on top of his batting) could come off handy. So yes, he was picked mainly because he could bowl spin, but not as a spinner, if you can see what I mean.

Let me try to explain this further. If Aftab plays on Thursday, it is very likely that he will be picked mainly because of his bowling. That is to say, he is a batsman who can bowl seam. It doesnt mean that he is picked as a seamer!! Get it?

Edited on, May 22, 2005, 5:42 PM GMT, by Sham.
I concur with you.
Old May 22, 2005, 02:40 PM
Cricket Legend

At the end of the day, I find the situation very depressing. First, Shafayet and Afzaal proved the bowling attack including Taposh and Rafiq toothless against quality batsmen. Then our regular batsmen again fell like ninepins against a second string county bowling side. Mushfiq's innings was a treat, but I can't expect him to score a century or a fifty in his debut match.

Our result in Australia always used to assure me that our team would not do too bad against England. Now the comphort of that assurance is gone.
Old May 22, 2005, 03:02 PM
Test Cricketer

Once again you're right Watcher! It's not surprising at all that our top order failed again. The only difference in this game from the sussex game was that we were missing the dependable batting of Pilot who once again gave stability to our innings by playing this many balls. It was also an added bonus that Rafique's batting can never be underestimated even in such conditions.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:19 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

ther is alot of jumping and speculating going on. The fact is, the test match hasn't started, and good players know how to peak at the right time. This ability also comes with experience.

The players pushing for selection tend to play harder in the tour matches than those who know they are secured a spot (such as rafique and mashrafee).

Well... at least that's my theory on the apparent baffling show of form by the players...
Old May 23, 2005, 03:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

who will miss out ?

Edited on, May 23, 2005, 9:00 AM GMT, by amim.
Old May 23, 2005, 03:52 AM
First Class Cricketer

Well if Rahim did score 63 and 115 not out then he did himself a favour by doing so because if he gets picked for the 1st test, then he will need to have the confidence he gained after those 2 knocks. I think people are surprised because they didn't expect the 2nd wicket keeper to outplay all the genuine batsman who are in the squad for their batting alone.

Let's face it .... just because these guys are older doesn't mean they can't be incompetent. More new generation cricekters are showing better ability than older players like Golla ... who have played cricekt since the old days ... Anyway golla scored a century and he will play ... Rahim was picked ahead of many other wicket keepers because of his batting.
Old May 23, 2005, 03:56 AM
First Class Cricketer

Rahim's 1st class average is 66.00 better than most of the BD players. It's early days yet but if he can maintain an average of 50 after 1 year it will still be very impressive.