facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old May 14, 2012, 05:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

By the way, can anyone shed some lights on the bus journey from London to Brussels ??
Takes about 8 hours and fairly cheap.
The last minute Eurorail and budget airline prices are looking pretty uppish and I'm just wondering if I should take the bus.

Traveled thru Europe before on DB/Thallys/TGV, but never on EuroLine Bus.
Anyone have any idea ?
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]

Old May 14, 2012, 06:30 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Zenibha rocks! Jooriss on the other hand is as boring as Heidi's uncle. The sock-let is good in both places, as is the Islamophobia.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old May 14, 2012, 06:40 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
By the way, can anyone shed some lights on the bus journey from London to Brussels ??
Takes about 8 hours and fairly cheap.
The last minute Eurorail and budget airline prices are looking pretty uppish and I'm just wondering if I should take the bus.

Traveled thru Europe before on DB/Thallys/TGV, but never on EuroLine Bus.
Anyone have any idea ?
I've taken the Euroline bus from London to Berlin overnight and it stops at Brussels along the way, so I have some idea about the journey.

Pros: Cheap, a larger luggage allowance than on planes, relatively scenic, stops occasionally en route for refreshment (cheaper than buying food on a train)

Cons: The passengers can be variable - lots of students, backpackers and assorted oddballs. I enjoy the company (as I count myself as one of them) but may not be as preferable if you're traveling with your wife. Many Eurolines drivers don't speak English well, so make sure you get off at the right stop by talking to other passengers! You should also consider how well you and your spouse sleep on buses.

Hope that helps
Old May 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

^^ Thanks. That helps a lot.
My first preference was budget airlines or Eurorail. But the last minute price is shocking.
London to Brussels on the rail is about GBP 185 pp, for two persons comes to GBP 370 !!
Journey : Roughly 3 hours I guess.
On the other hand, Bus journey 8 hours, GBP 45 !! 2 pax £ 90 !!
I'd rather save £ 280 and spent that on shopping or whatever.
I'm a bit surprised to see not many budget airliners flying to Brussels from London. I'd have thought there are heaps. AND I got be in Antwerp by 21st.

I dont mind few hours of mixed crowd as long as they keep themselves to their seats.
Yes, I'd be traveling with my wife and unfortunately, none of us sleep well on train/bus.(Though lately I'm experiencing a great habit change of being able to sleep while on the move)
BUT, IF we are taking the bus, it would be day time though.
The bus leaves london at 0800 and arrives at 1600, so fairly good time.

Still searching for airlines with a decent price.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:36 AM
BC Editorial Team

You can get great Eurorail deals from time to time but generally trains are a more expensive alternative than plane or bus. Which is unfortunate considering the environmental impact of budget airlines + the great views you can get through train windows.
Old May 21, 2012, 04:42 PM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Rabz, I know this is too late otherwise I would have suggested you to visit Cologne by train. The Cologne central railway station(Hauptbahnhof in German) is next to Cologne Cathedral/Dom. And for shopping I recommend Dusseldorf(the capital of North Rhine-Westphalia). Dusseldorf's Konigsallee is more than a street to shop on. This is more like New York's 5th Avenue. And coming back to your original question, it is certainly worth to visit Geneva. Geneva is better because of its multiculturalism but if nightlife is your thing then Zurich is better. Zurich has tons of interesting old neighbourhoods and lakeside setting give it a small-town feel.

Old May 21, 2012, 05:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Rabz, is nightlife your thang? :p

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 22, 2012, 05:50 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

^^ Nightlife used to be my thang big time, once upon a time.
Not anymore these days. Havent looked that way last couple of years.
Inshallah will try to keep it that way, if Allah have his mercy on me.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I finally ended up taking the bus from London to Antwerp, where I am at the moment, writing this from. The bus journey was a surprisingly good one. Will try to elaborate later if I get a bit more time.

Still have plans to go to Geneva. But nothing concrete yet. Might have to take a detour towards Paris, which is also not confirmed yet. See how it goes.
Old May 22, 2012, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Say hi to my wife if you pass each other by. She is heading to Brussels from Paris this morning. I'll ask her to wave at you.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
Say hi to my wife if you pass each other by. She is heading to Brussels from Paris this morning. I'll ask her to wave at you.
oh no!!
Old May 23, 2012, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
oh no!!
Did you make it to Canada or did you waste your only phone call to connect to the net and post this.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:47 AM
Cricket Legend

i am using my hotels complementary wifi, not a complenetary wifey, to poat at this moment. sometimes works sometimes doesnt.
Old May 25, 2012, 05:17 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

In Paris, for the 3rd time in last 2 and half years. Kind of feels odd for not being excited being here.

Unfortunately, the business meeting schedules and the unfavourable flight schedules means we are having to forgo Geneva this trip as I have to be in Copenhagen next week.

But we are heading for Amsterdam this Sunday morning, which should be a comfortable 3 hours on train from Paris. Also Ams-Cph have a better flight schedule which means I should be in Copenhagen by Tuesday evening Inshallah.

So, I ask this time, about 2.5 days in Amsterdam, what are the must thing to do ??
Mind you, I'm accompanied by my wife.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:

So, I ask this time, about 2.5 days in Amsterdam, what are the must thing to do ??
lol. Man leave her behind...you are the man aren't you? So be a man.
Old May 25, 2012, 10:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid

Quote:
In Paris, for the 3rd time in last 2 and half years. Kind of feels odd for not being excited being here.

Unfortunately, the business meeting schedules and the unfavourable flight schedules means we are having to forgo Geneva this trip as I have to be in Copenhagen next week.

But we are heading for Amsterdam this Sunday morning, which should be a comfortable 3 hours on train from Paris. Also Ams-Cph have a better flight schedule which means I should be in Copenhagen by Tuesday evening Inshallah.

mmm the must do things will depend on what you like.. For me I am more into history, paintings and all so I love museums.. I think you shouldn't leave Amsterdam without visiting Van Gogh museum and Anne Frank's Museum... The other famous museums are Rijksmuseum, Diamond Museum, Rambrandt House.. Also the The Royal Palace (Koninklijk Paleis) is not bad (but if you have already visited some of the famous palaces in Europe then you won't like this one).. I would strongly recommend pick the museums you want to visit and buy the tickets online as the line up is huge and you might spend half of the day standing in the line... If you plan well then you should be able to cover at least 2 museums in a day..

Also if you've watched the movie ""The Hiding Place" you might want to visit the Corrie ten Boom’s house in Haarlem, which is I think 1 hour train ride from Amsterdam..

I think you shouldn't leave Holland without visiting Keukenhof.. they are having the tulip festival now I guess.. that's a must.. may be on your 2nd day start early for Kekenhof which is not that far from Amsterdam..

Take the Canal Cruise in Amsterdam on a lazy afternoon..

You might consider buying the I Amsterdam City Card which includes Free public transport, Free canal cruise, Free entrance to Amsterdam's top museums and attractions and many more.. there are some free gifts as well.. http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visitin...iamsterdamcard
Old May 25, 2012, 10:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Quote:

Sin city-te tao abar bhabir shathe
na heshe parlam na
Old May 25, 2012, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I'll echo mostly what Oronnya said. It's a lovely city - a canal tour is a must. In addition to the Rijksmuseum, I strongly urge the Van Gogh museum. Oh, buy some tulips for your better half. I like Amsterdam a lot.

I'm surprised your so blasé about Paris. My wife just got back and she has decided we are moving to Paris next. I'm not objecting either. She hated Brussels.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:28 AM
Cricket Savant

saif ali, ranir prem cartoon in amsterdam mone korie dilen go rabz-da

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old May 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oronnya
mmm the must do things will depend on what you like.. For me I am more into history, paintings and all so I love museums.. I think you shouldn't leave Amsterdam without visiting Van Gogh museum and Anne Frank's Museum... The other famous museums are Rijksmuseum, Diamond Museum, Rambrandt House.. Also the The Royal Palace (Koninklijk Paleis) is not bad (but if you have already visited some of the famous palaces in Europe then you won't like this one).. I would strongly recommend pick the museums you want to visit and buy the tickets online as the line up is huge and you might spend half of the day standing in the line... If you plan well then you should be able to cover at least 2 museums in a day..

Also if you've watched the movie ""The Hiding Place" you might want to visit the Corrie ten Boom’s house in Haarlem, which is I think 1 hour train ride from Amsterdam..

I think you shouldn't leave Holland without visiting Keukenhof.. they are having the tulip festival now I guess.. that's a must.. may be on your 2nd day start early for Kekenhof which is not that far from Amsterdam..

Take the Canal Cruise in Amsterdam on a lazy afternoon..

You might consider buying the I Amsterdam City Card which includes Free public transport, Free canal cruise, Free entrance to Amsterdam's top museums and attractions and many more.. there are some free gifts as well.. http://www.iamsterdam.com/en/visitin...iamsterdamcard
You could literally be our Euro Tour Guide !!
Thanks so much for your advice and recommendations. Makes it easy to chose and pick for a first timer with only couple of days in hand.

It might not be possible to visit everything in 2 and half days, but will try to accommodate as much as we can. Trying not to keep any official meetings in Amsterdam, so this would be purely holidays.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
BC Editorial Team

^ Rabz bhai, in addition to the excellent suggestions by Oronnya above, I would really recommend visiting the Foam Gallery - especially if you are into photography: http://www.foam.org/

I went there in November 2010 and incidentally there was an exhibition by a Bangladeshi photographer. Some very interesting content. (It would also be included in your city card)

There is also a branch of the Hermitage museum in Amsterdam (the main one is in St. Petersburg) Again, I would really recommend visiting this museum and from the website it looks like they're having a big exhibition on the famous Flemish painter Rubens: http://www.hermitage.nl/en/

Besides a ride on the canals, I'd recommend sightseeing by bike (if you and your wife are up for it!) Renting a bike is dirt cheap in Amsterdam and you'll get to all the museums, galleries, restaurants, etc. recommended above very quickly.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
You could literally be our Euro Tour Guide !!
Thanks so much for your advice and recommendations. Makes it easy to chose and pick for a first timer with only couple of days in hand.

It might not be possible to visit everything in 2 and half days, but will try to accommodate as much as we can. Trying not to keep any official meetings in Amsterdam, so this would be purely holidays.
no problem .. I know how these tiny little suggestions helps to plan a trip.. Before each of my trip I had to do soo much research because I always had short time and I wanted to cover everything that I'm interested in... I wish I was a BC member then.. It would've been soo much easier for me to plan
Old May 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Thank you all for your suggestions. It certainly helps.
We made a good use of our approx 48 hours in Amsterdam and were lucky enough to get rare day of
30+ degree celcius sunny warm day.

We bought the Amsterdam City Card for 50 Euro ( valid for 48 hours) and got the money's worth and more.

Visited the Van Gough Museum, FOAM, Amsterdam City Museum, Tulip Museum,, Hermitage Amsterdam, Royal Artis Zoo and took the 1 hour canal ride. Went to Rijksmuseum but our city card didnt cover it, so thought we might see it at the end if we had time.
Also unfortunate for us, the tulip festival closed on May 20th, so we just missed it by few days.
We could have covered more if our Thalys train wasn't 2.5 hours late from Paris. Apparently someone in Brussels decided to jump in front of the high speed train early that morning and we were late arriving in Amsterdam.

But in all, both me and my wife really enjoyed the Amsterdam tour.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Thank you all for your suggestions. It certainly helps.
We made a good use of our approx 48 hours in Amsterdam and were lucky enough to get rare day of
30+ degree celcius sunny warm day.

We bought the Amsterdam City Card for 50 Euro ( valid for 48 hours) and got the money's worth and more.

Visited the Van Gough Museum, FOAM, Amsterdam City Museum, Tulip Museum,, Hermitage Amsterdam, Royal Artis Zoo and took the 1 hour canal ride. Went to Rijksmuseum but our city card didnt cover it, so thought we might see it at the end if we had time.
Also unfortunate for us, the tulip festival closed on May 20th, so we just missed it by few days.
We could have covered more if our Thalys train wasn't 2.5 hours late from Paris. Apparently someone in Brussels decided to jump in front of the high speed train early that morning and we were late arriving in Amsterdam.

But in all, both me and my wife really enjoyed the Amsterdam tour.
Wooww great to know that you covered most of the attractions...