facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 18, 2011, 04:30 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtiaz82
When the Worldcup was in Australia or South Africa, did they mold their openings to cater to the deshi crowd? I don't recall seeing any subcontinental flavor in their openings either..they just focused on their own culture.

But I agree with rest of your post.
I didn't say focusing on Bangladeshi culture was bad. That's what you are suppose to do on opening ceremonies, showcase your culture. Never complained about that. People actually like those stuff. But you have to realize that there are others who are watching this, and you can't just ignore them completely or give them just Bryan Adams.

And that brings me to my 2nd point, why get bunch of old timers? I get it, those 3 aunties were for local fans, but rest of the world don't know who they are, and that's when you get someone who is currently hit and popular to even things out for rest of the world. SA had Akon (who was the top artist at that time), Soccer had Shakira. And where is our band? Where is Miles and those guys? They are definitely better than Bryan Adams.

I am sorry, I just want see my country to put up a even better show, I didn't know it was that big of a crime. With a little bit of thinking, this could've been a LOT better. Don't hate because you don't agree, go ahead and disagree.

Last edited by Dilscoop; February 18, 2011 at 04:46 PM..

Old February 18, 2011, 04:36 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
People are more jumpy on attacking the poster than the content. And if you wanna attack him for his differing opinion give at least a second to think about his INTENT before getting all 'sonar bangla'.
It goes back to all the way about readers actually reading the whole post, before jumping onto conclusion, so that the original posters don't have to come back and re-explain the WHOLE thing again.
Old February 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
Street Cricketer

Thanks a billion to you - I have downloaded it and I am feeling excited. Nothing could be better than this after what I heard and read about the opening ceremony! Thanks again.
Old February 18, 2011, 05:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Thank you so much.
Old February 18, 2011, 05:03 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
I may not agree with him on many points, but at least I have the sense to appreciate that he wants best for the country.
I'm sorry I don't understand how the likes of Linkin Parks, David Guetta, Jay Sean et al will do good, let alone best, for Bangladesh. And I strongly believe that today's world is open-minded and appreciative enough of the culture/traditions of an individual nation, and Bangladesh producing a Bangladeshi ceremony will get positive remarks than hiring western artists for the sake of the western audience. The world is not about the western world only.

Not to attack the poster, but the content of the post definitely ignores the meaning of a host country showcasing itself to the rest of the world.
Old February 18, 2011, 05:38 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahir
I'm sorry I don't understand how the likes of Linkin Parks, David Guetta, Jay Sean et al will do good, let alone best, for Bangladesh. And I strongly believe that today's world is open-minded and appreciative enough of the culture/traditions of an individual nation, and Bangladesh producing a Bangladeshi ceremony will get positive remarks than hiring western artists for the sake of the western audience.The world is not about the western world only.

Not to attack the poster, but the content of the post definitely ignores the meaning of a host country showcasing itself to the rest of the world.
@ Mahir: First, either you are not exactly getting what I am trying to say, or I am skipping lines and should explain my thoughts even more broadly. Because you are saying the same thing as I am saying, except you are disagreeing with me(?)

I already explained: I didn't say focusing on Bangladeshi culture was bad. That's what you are suppose to do on opening ceremonies, showcase your culture. Never complained about that. People actually like those stuff.

And you are saying: And I strongly believe that today's world is open-minded and appreciative enough of the culture/traditions of an individual nation, and Bangladesh producing a Bangladeshi ceremony will get positive remarks(...)

I am saying, "banana is yellow". And you are saying, "No, Banana is yellow!" Again, never criticized it for showcasing our culture. So I beg to differ: Not to attack the poster, but the content of the post definitely ignores the meaning of a host country showcasing itself to the rest of the world.

- (...) hiring western artists for the sake of the western audience. The world is not about the western world only.

No it's not, and I never made it out to be. I was talking about the other 108 (or w/e the number they mentioned) countries that were watching this show as well. And that includes, Western, Eastern, Africans, Middle eastern. They were part of it. And I just wanted to include them, I wanted us to have something special for them as well. And for that I included those current list of hit artist, who should have came INSTEAD of Bryan Adams, who btw rocked the show (shockingly)- and that means someone from that list would've done even better job. And I am sure there are more fans of Linkin Park in Bangladesh than Bryan Adams. Now you may disagree with that, may be you don't want us to see put in that extra effort to reach more audience and make it a even more successful night, but I do. Sorry I committed crime here.

----

Also on a totally different note: I am sorry if I am wrong, but you have something against the western side? Because I commented on the other opening ceremony thread, and you hit back right away, questing me and my western side and western influence and what not. I know many people in general do have problem against this side of the world, but I do not appreciate the personal comments based on that impression towards me, randomly.

Last edited by Dilscoop; February 18, 2011 at 05:45 PM..
Old February 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC Design Team

Favorite Player: Shahriar Biddyut

I don't get you, Dilscoop. I really don't. I guess it's too difficult to notice positives in your posts, considering the fact that they are mostly negative, nit-picking the bad stuff only, and never appreciative of the good stuff.

When you say
Quote:
It was very subcon. based, they totally ignored the fact that, people around the world would be watch this as well.
it strikes to me as a comment that demeans the efforts put in behind the show and labels them as incompetent, while the rest of the world, in general, is raving about it. Yes the opening ceremony was nowhere near the standard of Olympics or football World Cup, but for the subcontinent and in the history of Cricket world cup, this was the best.

To those (who sees the glass as half-full), it was a ceremony that seems to have moved many people around the world, not just in Bangladesh, especially in the context of Bangladesh being such a struggling country (where things are almost always mis-executed), yet managing to pull off an extravanga like that, simply through warmth and enthusiasm.

By catering to the rest of the world who's watching and providing them entertainment that they can relate to, we wouldn't really have drawn as much prasie as we have now. I'm willing to bet on that.

Let me put it bluntly, its about us, we're the host, and we showcase what we have. Not what the rest of the world wants to see.
Old February 18, 2011, 06:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Dhonnobad bro.
Old February 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

I explained the best that I could, and if you did read then you wouldn't be saying the same thing over and over again. You keep saying "this is our show, we will showcase our culture", yes I get that, and I AGREE with that. May be on my initial post, I wasn't clear enough, but then I explained it 2 more times, but you are still saying brining this up. But why? I am not questioning that!

Bryan Adams was there for the International fans. So we DO care about the International fans. It is you, who keeps saying we don't have to care about them it is OUR show. Well guess what, it's not OUR show. It is the WORLD CUP opening ceremony, and it is our TURN to showcase a show FOR THE WORLD, not just FOR BANGLADESH. And you do that by including your culture and your artist along International guest stars entertainment- in this case Bryan Adams. And I wanted someone else instead of him, for a BETTER show, for us to create a even better show. Like you said, this is the best cricketing opening show ever. But that's not just by the show itself but because the previous opening shows were CRAP and the standards were very low. We had to chance to set the bar way higher.

And how exactly am I negative? Because I want us do a better job? Because I am not happy with a B- job? Is that negative to you? I have high expectation may be, but I am not negative.

- Bangla Speakers on an International Show
- Lecture, and easy reading for 30 min
- Politician having micOrgasm for over 30 min
- Having old timers sign on the middle of an empty field.

Yes, I will look at half empty glass, specially when I can have it filled and have refill.
Old February 18, 2011, 08:31 PM
Banned

I am waiting to download a file without the speeches and the songs sung by tri-mutki (sabina, runa & mumtaz) to show my non-Bangladeshi friends. please let me know if something like this is available.
Old February 18, 2011, 08:35 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ Use Windows Movie Maker to cut those out.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

video quality to fatafati but sound mone hoi aage aage chole..