facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

One question: Which ground was used for this match? I hope it's not Dhanmondi.

Old January 14, 2007, 10:43 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
One question: Which ground was used for this match? I hope it's not Dhanmondi.
It was Fatullah.
Old January 14, 2007, 11:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Nera bel tolay ekbar jay...but nera Bangladeshi hoile bar bar jaye. Yes he scored 188, but no, he's not ready for international cricket yet. What we're yet to learn is about patience...he's only 17/18 now...and he's got an ample amount of time to play. Can we be a little patient and hold up these player additions before WC unless it's really really cruicial for the team's success right now? And from what it looks right now, we don't really need new players at the moment. Instead of calling him for ODI team for Zimbabwe, he should be called for A-team against England at best.
Old January 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Nera bel tolay ekbar jay...but nera Bangladeshi hoile bar bar jaye. Yes he scored 188, but no, he's not ready for international cricket yet. What we're yet to learn is about patience...he's only 17/18 now...and he's got an ample amount of time to play. Can we be a little patient and hold up these player additions before WC unless it's really really cruicial for the team's success right now? And from what it looks right now, we don't really need new players at the moment. Instead of calling him for ODI team for Zimbabwe, he should be called for A-team against England at best.

We should not dismiss him just because he is 17. How many players in our national team has the physical fitness to score 12 6's and 12 4's at fatullah in 50 overs. He is physically fitter then recent u19 players who are playing in our national team. Why not give him a chance in Zimbabwe and lets see what happens???

We always need better player. Whitewashing depleted Zimbabwe team may not be enough in WC against India and Srilanka.

Last edited by shujan; January 14, 2007 at 11:22 AM..
Old January 14, 2007, 11:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shujan
We should not dismiss him just because he is 17. How many players in our national team has the physical fitness to score 12 6's and 12 4's at fatullah in 50 overs. He is physically fitter then recent u19 players who are playing in our national team. Why not give him a chance in Zimbabwe and lets see what happens???

We always need better player. Whitewashing depleted Zimbabwe team may not be enough in WC against India and Srilanka.
But chances are that if we do so, we'll create a second Ashraful. We do need better players, but we're not in a situation to experiment with them...the byproduct of which could be an Ashraful-type waste.
Old January 14, 2007, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Liton Das

My thoughts exactly Kabir, but I do think he should be slowly tested in higher levels, and if he can keep doing what he is now, he should be given a chance this year. I dont think he should be given a chance now, and definitely not in the WC. I also saw the parallel between Tamim and Ashraful, but then if you think about it, Ashraful didnt have this consistency before being included in the squad in his debut series against SL.
Old January 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
Test Cricketer

I remember his older brother was drafted into the National Team as soon as he scored a century against England in a practice game, where is he now?

Can we please please stop this subcontinental practice of throwing a young player to the wolves of international cricket as soon as they show a glimmer of promise? It doesn't do the player any favours, and it doesn't do the team any favours, all it does is keep our domestic league from becoming more competitive.
Old January 14, 2007, 01:40 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Tamim deserves his place in the squad leaving for Zimbabwe. I hope they will use him. Not all batsman are cut out for technique or style. Sometimes sheer power and great reflex is good enough for ODI cricket. If he fails to succeed on more than one ocassion, he should be dropped before further experimentation. Even if he succeeds it shouldn't guarantee his place in the WC squad. He should play as much FC cricket as possible, BCB send him to India, England, wherever there is opportunity to play competitive cricket.
Old January 14, 2007, 01:48 PM
Cricket Legend

The main argument anyone has about not drafting him into the team is his brother. Nafis did not show the consistency young Tamim is showing, neither did any of the other players that failed once brought up to the national side. Tamim is NOT Nafis and should be treated as a separate individual.
Old January 14, 2007, 02:55 PM
Club Cricketer

I think BD needs someone on opening slot who can score run quickly or we have no chance in WI
Old January 14, 2007, 03:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

stop giving tickets to players who scores some 100's in NCL. let them play in A team first. let them score there. we just got 2 players in opening after long time. WHat happens if he fails? what will happen to the guy (mehrab) who got the job for 2/3 games and then got dropped even before he didn't do bad (yah he played slow but that was team plan, if we drop some one after playing acording to the game plan then next time people will try to secure their place despite of the situation in the middle...)
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old January 14, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

We just don't learn, do we? Where did you guys see consistency? In order for someone to have some consistency, he needs to play a few games. Its only the second game of the season and some people are already lebeling him as a consistent performer. Let him play against some good teams and score some runs and then we can think about drafting him into the squad.
Old January 14, 2007, 06:24 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

I think Tamim will b great asset for our team,
He has got everything right just need proper maintaince,
Old January 14, 2007, 06:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

I think BCB should consider the fact relating to Shewag in India. B. Shewag can hit balls with tremendous power but technically isn't a good batsman. That's why initially he had success but in the long run he's a loser. At this point I would like to request BCB that pls don't make a premature decision about him, nurture his batting techniques to make him a sound batsman. There is no doubt that he is a big hitter but only big hitting shouldn't be the only criteria to be in an odi team.
Old January 14, 2007, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

one good reason why tamim shouldn't be in the national team anytime soon: from what i've heard about him, he's too flashy. against a half decent bowling attack, he is more likely to fall earlier than later, because although 12 4's and 12 6's sound sweet and none of our national players seem to have done it recently (or ever), when exposed to quality bowling, it is the ones who know to pick the bad balls and don't just go for anything that will survive.
Old January 14, 2007, 08:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
one good reason why tamim shouldn't be in the national team anytime soon: from what i've heard about him, he's too flashy. against a half decent bowling attack, he is more likely to fall earlier than later, because although 12 4's and 12 6's sound sweet and none of our national players seem to have done it recently (or ever), when exposed to quality bowling, it is the ones who know to pick the bad balls and don't just go for anything that will survive.
Thats why its better to test him in the A-team. If he keeps playing in the domestic tournaments like some people are proposing, we may never know.
Old January 14, 2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

well yeah, we should definitely test him out as much as we can, but not in the national team as many people are suggesting.
Old January 15, 2007, 12:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Dale Willem Steyn

Tamim Should Get Chance in Comming Zimbabwe Series According to His Performance in Domestic Cricket. If He Perform Something Extra Ordinary, Only Than He Should be Selected in WC Team. But only for His Domestic Performance He should Not be Selected in WC Team. WC is a Different Arena. Only Experienced Cricketer Should Get Chance.

In 2003 Our Selectors did a Great Mistake by Avoiding Experienced Cricketers. We all Know the Result of 2003. So Domestic Performance should not be the Criteria to be Selected in WC Team.
Old January 15, 2007, 06:26 AM
Test Cricketer

If Ashraful is brought into the team after observing his performance for two consecutive Domestic matches, then people can argue that domestic matches *are* used to judge the quality and form of a player.
Old January 15, 2007, 10:45 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanglaCool
If Ashraful is brought into the team after observing his performance for two consecutive Domestic matches, then people can argue that domestic matches *are* used to judge the quality and form of a player.

Its true for some one who has already played the highest level and done well.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old January 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

it might be OK to test tamim out against zimbabwe, bermuda, and canada...but regardless of his performance he shouldn't be considered for the world cup.

this ruins players...our players need to know that they have to work hard to make it to the national side...a single one off double century is not enough.

unfortunately we couldn't do that before because we really couldn't afford it one way or the other. thats why we have the ashraful problems that we have...

hopefully now it will change.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old January 15, 2007, 07:19 PM
ODI Cricketer

he reminds me of akram in his early years and harunur rashid liton.he should be in the" A" side for the next year or so.i would like to see his performance in more lively pitches.personally, i think we need a stable batsman at the top order.aftab is doing well in his role as a hard hitter.too many reckless batsmen will create pressure for the rest of the batsmen.nafees should have a partner who will give him assurance and allow him to play his natural game.a hard hitter will put extra responsibility on nafess and that may hamper his natural game.
Old January 16, 2007, 10:58 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Young, talented emerging new players are like ‘the golden eggs in a goose’. If you are greedy and cut the belly of the goose to get them early, you will not find all the golden eggs, may be one or two. So be patient and let these young talented players grow, flourish and excel. No need to throw any young players in WC when some other better choices are available. If you don’t cut the belly, the goose will lay all the golden eggs gradually in the future.

We should be happy with our cricket future as a lot of young talented cricketers are emerging, and they keep coming. This should not put us under stress.

Last edited by FagunerAgun; January 16, 2007 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: To fix font size
Old January 16, 2007, 11:49 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun
Young, talented emerging new players are like ‘the golden eggs in a goose’. If you are greedy and cut the belly of the goose to get them early, you will not find all the golden eggs, may be one or two.
True.... but on the other hand if you are just too patient and don't take necessary action and just wait and wait.... that can be also bad for the golden egg (which will be rotten) or bad for the health of pregnent Mother Goose.
Old January 9, 2008, 12:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

he hasn't done any worse than other players and all the matches he played are against quality opponents