facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 28, 2006, 04:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Oh!! that's a great news!!

Iam sure, I will see Pilot's last ODI soon

I salute him for his contribution and waiting for his farewell.

Last edited by Miraz; August 28, 2006 at 05:02 PM..

Old August 28, 2006, 04:46 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
... I am more afraid of the Ashrafuls, Aftabs, Rajins, Mashrafees in the side, who are senior to Nafees, who still is only a relative new comer ( year in the intl cricket ) and its their support that will be more valuable in the long run.
I was worring about this also. But come to think of it, if performace is any measuring stick, then SN is way above than any other BD player that includes Bashar also. If the coach backs him up, if the manager backs him up, I see no problem. Clear communication should be the key between all stakeholders.

With the pathetic performance they showed in the Zim series, we need a dramatic change. May be this is it.
Old August 28, 2006, 05:07 PM

According to daily "Prothom-Alo" Bashar doesn't need a surgery in his injured hand right now and it's improving. It might take two more weeks to find out if there is a need for surgery. Also Bashar has started lomited practice with the other BD team members.
Selecting Nafees as vice captain so far looks good! He is the best option we had I believe. Good luck and all the best S. Nafees.
Old August 28, 2006, 05:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurush
It might take two more weeks to find out if there is a need for surgery.
so we need two more weeks to know if he needs a surgery or not? And people are saying its a good news? So two less weeks for the new captain to prepare? if thats the good news....then I don't know what are the examples of bad news?
Old August 28, 2006, 05:30 PM
Cricket Legend

captaincy is not about seniority, otherwise all teams would have their most senior player as captain. a player who can inspire others and knows about other players strong points should be the captain.( from that point of view bashar is not a good captain as he can hardly inspire the team)
Old August 28, 2006, 05:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Congrats board. Right or wrong only time will tell, but its a reasonable and bold plan with some vision. Pilot and Rafiq will be fine. They know they need to perform to stay on the team.
Old August 28, 2006, 07:55 PM
First Class Cricketer

It is a good move but I think he is selected as a "vice-captain" so BCB can appoint a captain (Pilot) if Bashar does not play.

Also too many changes are not good just before the world-cup. I think that is what BCB is doing, repeating the same mistake they made in the last world-cup. After the champions trophy we might see a complete new BD team consisting of all the novice players and most likely they are doomed to failure.
Old August 28, 2006, 08:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by real123
It is a good move but I think he is selected as a "vice-captain" so BCB can appoint a captain (Pilot) if Bashar does not play.

Also too many changes are not good just before the world-cup. I think that is what BCB is doing, repeating the same mistake they made in the last world-cup. After the champions trophy we might see a complete new BD team consisting of all the novice players and most likely they are doomed to failure.
Don't despair my fellow! The future is bright!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 28, 2006, 08:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Hopefully this will bring life in the field with cooperation from everyone (including KM)
Old August 28, 2006, 09:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Shahriar Nafees probably is the best man to be the vice-captain right now and after 1-2 years he will be ready to captain. But the main thing is HE HAS TO CONTINUE PERFORMING.
Old August 28, 2006, 09:27 PM
Club Cricketer

I am not really sure that we should be too enthusiastic right now. It's a bold move alright, and in the right direction, too. But will he have the support of the selectors in future in case there are problems with the senior players. Let's hope for the moment that he does, but even then, can we afford to axe the likes of rafique or pilot if it comes down to that. All I am trying to say is, are we ready as a team to accept these initiatives.

Well, nay-sayers can say a lot of things. I guess only time will tell. Go selectors (even though I don't think too highly of them, I think this was a good move)!

Go TIGERS!!
Old August 28, 2006, 09:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Thank heaven neither the media nor any of the BC posters did raise his/her eyebrow or sniff a mama-bhagna shojon preeti story out of Nafees' inclusion as vice captain. A very welcome news for our cricket. Kudos to Faruq gong and BCB.
\"In this game, there is no pretending, no mercy, no second chance....in the middle of this huge arena he is on trial, one against eleven, with no one to protect him.....cricket is not a game, it is the truth of life\"
-- J.M.Coetzee, In Boyhood: Scenes from a Provincial Life
Old August 28, 2006, 10:05 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

As far as I'm concerned most people already like Shahriar and it's pretty obvious he has immense potential to become a fine captain in future. At least poeple will agree things couldn't be better with Pilot. So thanks for BCB for making the right decision, and of course good luck to Shahriar.
Old August 29, 2006, 12:04 AM
ODI Cricketer

Good luck to SN. A bold move by BCB. But I am worried about the team. You never know what a disappointed pilot with his cronies in the newspaper can do to the team moral. Rafiq may be hot temper but it would be hard me to belive he would instigate anything againest SN but pilot I am not sure.
Old August 29, 2006, 12:12 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

good move by the board. and i would say its no surprise to all of us too. after all we would hv bn utterly dissapointed if Pilot was made the captain again. SN deserves the chance and so he should get.
good luck to him.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old August 29, 2006, 02:20 AM
First Class Cricketer

Now pilot will surely replace.....i hope Ash is not crying after hearing the that news.....best of luck to SN
Old August 29, 2006, 04:46 AM
Test Cricketer

atleast shahriar can speak good english....we wont' have that situation like Inzamam who has to come back to dressing room to know what was going on with the umpire as he is utterly bad in english.
Old August 29, 2006, 07:13 AM
Cricket Legend

That is one agressive move by the management and we must need something like that when things are not happening too good. So far this guy is a consistant performer and as said by many other, he has proven ability to lead a side. Simply seniority can't make someone a captain in the side and that was also nicely mentioned by some of our friends when describing S.Africa's case.

I strongly believe all the BD players within team will support SN for his manner and performance. Moreover every individual needs to prove himself to sustain his position in the side. Therefore cooperation int erms of performances will be definitely there. Only question is the decipline. Let's see how fast he can learn from his captain (Bashar) how to maintain decipline within the team - on and off the field.

Good luck to SN.
Old August 29, 2006, 08:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mominul

Future will tell either SN will become successful as captain or not...At this point, I am happy to see that at least selectors have selected a vice-captain for the team.I think, thought it's early for SN, he is the best we have at this moment.And, I hope from now onwards a vice-captain will be announced in every series so that we don't become orphan if the captain is somehow injured in the middle of the series.
Old August 29, 2006, 10:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

One concern:

If awami league comes to power is he goign to end up like durjoy? I was very fond of him and thought he would become our feature captain but we all know what happen... he became a dictator as he thought he will get back up from awami league even when they r not in power...
now since SN is BHAISTA of Farrok if awami comes in power (allah na koruk) then I bet he will have the same fate.
and we will lose a good opener just like we lost a good lower oreder batsman and a off spinner (btw for which our captain is crying every day).
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old August 29, 2006, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

you guys are amazing! lol...

first off, there's no guarantee he will be the captain. according to mahbub anam, bashar will be playing in the qualifiers; if that is true, then there is no question of nafees captaining. even if bashar doesn't play, the selectors can always appoint someone else (KM, probably) as the captain, and retain shahriar nafees as the vice captain. i am saying this keeping in mind that the selectors were highly enthusiastic about nafees' appointment, but then again, it is also true that they did so because they believe bashar is going to play. also, even if nafees is appointed, there is no guarantee that he will turn out to be a good captain.

finally, ekhane awami league/bnp/politics/election ashlo kottheke? looks like our imagination knows no bounds :p
Old August 29, 2006, 10:26 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

akabir's words are simple truth. In BD every sport is dominated by politics and Cricket is not out of that. If government changes, we will see many chnages in the BCB and national team.

I doubt whether SN will face the fate of Durjoy. It's Saber Hossain who is to blame for Durjoy's downfall. He used Durjoy in his constituency for election campaign and Durjoy was in forefront. SN does not have such clear political color. May be he will be stripped off Vice Captaincy but will definitely feature in the national squad.

Lastly SN is a better performer than Durjoy.
Old August 29, 2006, 10:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
One concern:

If awami league comes to power is he goign to end up like durjoy? I was very fond of him and thought he would become our feature captain but we all know what happen... he became a dictator as he thought he will get back up from awami league even when they r not in power...
now since SN is BHAISTA of Farrok if awami comes in power (allah na koruk) then I bet he will have the same fate.
and we will lose a good opener just like we lost a good lower oreder batsman and a off spinner (btw for which our captain is crying every day).
We the bangladeshis always find politics in everything. this is really a bad habit. It seems that you don't like Awami leage, it does not matter but please don't bring politics everywhere and keep the discussion within itself.

BTW, how Naimur Rahman became a dictator? I am interested to know. Would you kindly tell me pls?

I don't think our cricket is in such a position where politics can bring a huge change in the team although 'some bits and pieces' are expected according to our political tradion and this thing will not change unless we get a very good generation. I believe we will get that generation very soon. The future is bright!

ওইখানে আমিও আছি /যেইখানে সূর্য উদয়/প্রিয়দেশ পাল্টে দেবো/তুমি আর আমি বোধহয়/কমরেড, তৈরি থেকো/গায়ে মাখো আলতা বরণ/আমি তুমি আমি তুমি/এভাবেই লক্ষ চরণ
Old August 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

One interesting comparison..

SN played 25 ODI's and 6 tests before awarding Vice Captaincy.

Graeme Smith played 22 ODI's and 8 tests before awarding Captaincy of South Africa team.

I wish SN can take some examples from Smith and can lead us (in absence of Bashar) with examples when required.
Old August 29, 2006, 11:35 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
you guys are amazing! lol...

finally, ekhane awami league/bnp/politics/election ashlo kottheke? looks like our imagination knows no bounds :p
sorry to dissapoint u mate..but politics does play a BIG BIG role in our sports.
if AL comes in power,there will be a complete overhaul of the current administrators in BD cricket, including the selectors. and unfortunately, few players would also get a chop.

the reason Durjoy, Mehrab Snr, Biddut got axed cuz of the politics.
akabir77 has raised a valid point here.
sad but true.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]