facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 9, 2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Despite the euphoria today was also a day to target greater things. "We have a lot of work left in this series. This is only a good start and we can't lose focus. The series is still open," Siddique said. The night's schedule for the Tigers reflected that desire with only a quite team dinner at a posh steak house.
Thats the way of staying focused, get back to work for the next game and bring us the series.

Old October 9, 2008, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

It's good to see the kind of energy that has been oozing out of our players over the last couple of weeks. They seem determined to prove a point.

Ekhon 2nd ODI te 92 all out na holei hoy.
Old October 9, 2008, 12:03 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Thanks for the link guys.
i was looking forward to read all the possible articles from around the world.
my work made easy.
As always, all i had to do is visit BC.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old October 9, 2008, 12:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
Thanks for the link guys.
i was looking forward to read all the possible articles from around the world.
my work made easy.
As always, all i had to do is visit BC.
You are welcome. It is just now 12. Soon more articles would be published in our dailes. Online is a wonderful thing.

The bangla articles are the best ones. Ato rosh makhaiye kotha boley!!
Old October 9, 2008, 12:13 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Proof of Bangladesh's ability
Cricinfo staff / October 9, 2008
---------------------------------------------------------
Given their recent struggles, any victory for Bangladesh is significant, but the seven-wicket win over New Zealand in Mirpur was even more special as it was a first major win (if you exclude the Twenty20 victory over West Indies in 2007) for both their captain and coach. Mohammad Ashraful and Jamie Siddons have come under scrutiny recently, but this win, in the face of the ICL crisis, will have come as reassurance for fans and administrators alike.

"I am happy we played as a unit," Ashraful said. "I am elated that its the first win against New Zealand and first against a major country under my captaincy."

It was a comprehensive team performance from Bangladesh after Ashraful got lucky at the toss. Mashrafe Mortaza struck vital blows in his first spell, which was backed up by some economical bowling by the spinners Abdur Razzak, Shakib Al Hasan and debutant Naeem Islam.

"The toss was very important," Ashraful told TigerCricket.com. "With the overnight rain and the cloud cover we needed the bowlers to have a go first. I want to compliment everyone - Mashrafe, [Syed] Rasel, Shahadat [Hossain], Shakib, Razzak, Naeem...they set up the win for us with some wonderful bowling.

"The fielding too was good," Ashraful added. "I have said this before, if we do well in all three departments then we stand a good chance of being competitive. Today was proof of that."

Mortaza, one of the heroes of Bangladesh's famous World Cup upset over India in 2007, put New Zealand on the back foot with figures of 8-3-19-3 in his first spell. He took some punishment in his final two overs to end with 4 for 44, but was unlucky a dropped catch in the 50th over denied him a five-for.

Mortaza was playing with braces on both knees - having had operations on them in the past - but hit the right line and length, troubling the batsmen with movement off the seam. "He does that for us day in and day out." Siddons said. "He doesn't always get the results because opposing teams tend to see him off and then attack the others, but today was his day."

At one stage, New Zealand were down to 79 for 6, and perhaps the only gripe in Bangladesh's performance would be that they let New Zealand escape to 201 for 9.

However, Bangladesh's batsmen, criticised for their failures against Australia, stood up to the task with Ashraful himself scoring a brisk unbeaten 60. The star of the day , though, was Junaid Siddique, whose patient 85 easily eclipsed the 62 he had managed in his eight previous ODI innings. "I needed this innings to get my confidence back," Siddique said. "My one-day record has been quite ordinary and it was about time I got some runs.

"We just executed the team plan today and we won. We always try to play according to plan but had difficulty in implementing them in recent times. Everything however fell into place today."

Siddique also paid tribute to Khaled Mashud, the former Bangladesh captain and wicketkeeper, who was given a farewell by both teams during the innings break. Mashud recently announced his retirement from international cricket, and has been Siddique's domestic captain at Rajshahi.

"He has been an idol," Siddique said. "We grew up knowing only two international stars from Rajshahi, Mashud and Mushfiqur Rahman. He has been an inspiration for so many players and he has been the hardest working cricketer I have seen. I dream of emulating him someday."

Mashud was confident this team would be able to achieve further glories for Bangladesh. "What a super way to sign off. The Bangladesh team has given me a present I will cherish for ever. These are lads who are going to take us to the next level. Mark my words. I just feel privileged to be here saying goodbye today."

One man entrusted with that job is Siddons, who hoped the team would have learnt how to approach matches after this victory. The ICL exodus meant Bangladesh named three new players in the squad, and Siddons was pleased with Naeem's effort on debut. "Well the one debutant, Naeem, did a great job with the ball [10-0-34-0] and was probably our best fielder today. Losing players from the group is never good and I hope that doesn't happen again, but the team looked good out there."

As Siddons has said in the past, he's keen on building a team that performs consistently and not one which pulls off a rare win for fans to clutch on to. Siddque echoed his coach's sentiments this time around. "We have a lot of work left in this series. This is only a good start and we can't lose focus. The series is still open."

© Cricinfo
Old October 9, 2008, 12:14 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

very good and a must needed thread by mijan bhai! thank you tigers_eye bhai!
i am still in a shock, like i just got out of a harnia surgery! i keep slapping myself on the street, on the train on my way to work this morning! people were looking at me funny! i have this grin on my face that i can't get rid off!

only thing is guys, you do have a long, hard way ahead of us! it's just the beginning of the journey! the series has two more games - very important that we don't lose focus now! and then we have the most important test of all the two test matches! let's all of us pray for our tigers, capt. ash and coach siddons and hope they stay healthy and work even harder in the coming days! thank you new zeland and capt. vettorrie and his team for playing good and positive cricket and we know on paper, NZ is still a stronger team than BD and we respect NZ all the way!
Old October 9, 2008, 12:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Rafique & Pailot

WOW!! Thnx Guyz.....Gorom gorom article sob ek jaigai.....
Old October 9, 2008, 12:24 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

This was a special victory. Partly because of the backdrop of the ICL debacle but mainly because it was comprehensive and was achieved without the services of the rafique, bashar etc.

Just goes to show the future is with these guys....
Old October 9, 2008, 12:33 PM
Cricket Savant

http://www.prothom-alo.com/last.issu...&li_id=MTE4OTk=
Full of error report by Prothom Alo.
Mash 10 overs 4/42 actually it would be 4/44. Abdur Razzak's 10 overs 3/32 actually it would be 3/33.

The kicker is "ASHRAFUL ISLAM". Who is Ashraful Islam they are talking about? What splendid desk reporters we have.

They mention everyone batting for Bd except Mushi. What gives?
Old October 9, 2008, 12:33 PM
Cricket Legend

The New Zealand Herald
Quote:
Bangladesh humble Black Caps

New Zealand have a huge slice of humble pie to swallow after losing the opening one-day cricket international to Bangladesh last night.
They were outplayed with the bat, the ball and in the field as Bangladesh scored 202 for three to win the match by seven wickets at Mirpur and snatch a shock 1-0 lead in the three-match series.
It marked the first time in 12 meetings that New Zealand had lost to the subcontinental minnows and swiftly ended their goal of vaulting to No 2 in the International Cricket Council one-day rankings.
Such a promotion was in the offing providing they won the three-match series 3-0, which they were widely expected to do.
But Bangladesh put paid to that with a confident allround performance, limiting the tourists to 201 for nine then running down the target with 27 balls to spare.
In their first outing since July, the New Zealanders were clearly ring rusty but that can take nothing away from Bangladesh, contesting their first series since losing the services of 14 frontline players who deserted the national team to join the rebel Indian Cricket League.
Opener Zunaed Siddique stood tallest for the hosts to score a career-best 85, including eight boundaries, off 139 balls to set up his team against an unthreatening bowling attack.
Captain Mohammad Ashraful was equally influential, making 60 not out off 56 balls as he and Siddique combined in a stand of 109 for the third wicket, their nation's best for any wicket against New Zealand.
Earlier, New Zealand suffered one of their infamous meltdowns en route to handing the initiative to Bangladesh.
After being invited to bat first in damp and overcast conditions, they lost five wickets for 18 runs to slump to 65 for five inside 17 overs before Jacob Oram led the resistance movement with a battling 57 off 89 deliveries.
The only top order batsman to get underway was Jesse Ryder, who made 34 off 35 balls before spooning a catch to mid wicket.
Oram tempered his natural inclination to hit out as he and skipper Daniel Vettori cautiously set about turning the tide.
These two put on 70 for the seventh wicket as the tourists reached 149 after 40 overs before Vettori departed for 30.
Oram hung around for another six overs before holing out at long on to become left-armer spinner Abdur Razzak's third victim.
Razzak finished with the fine figures of three for 33 off 10 overs, but he was outshone by spirited fast-medium bowler Mashrafe Mortaza, who enjoyed the helpful conditions early on.
Mortaza snared three for 18 in his opening burst of eight overs and returned to pick up another late in the piece.
He ended with four for 44, figures which suffered in his last spell when he conceded 26 runs in his last two overs.
Teenager Tim Southee swatted an unbeaten 19 off 14 balls at the death to drag the tourists over the 200 mark.
The second match of the series is at the same venue on Saturday
Old October 9, 2008, 12:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

From Stadium

'Thebest'

I Just felt this BC eye witness report should be here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

সংগ্রামী অভিনন্দন . Returned from Stadium around six and our throats are too tired to talk; bodies are too tired too type. Just took an ice bath and trying to share our experience to be the part of the history. And all the credits of arranging this should go to Nocturnal. I am now sure why our Canadian BCers could not organize their get together. Because their organizer is in Dhaka .
It all started on 20th Sept 2008 when some of BCer met in Star . Noc casually ask if any of us want to go to the match. Instantly if I remember correctly Rabz and I agreed. The rest you know from Noc's thread.
yesterday, when I went to bed it was raining cats and dogs. Even when I wake up it was drizzling (around 6:30). But by the time I get out of my house it stopped raining but there is thick cloud in the sky. Around eight Noc, Yaseer, Mac, SM Hasan and I are already in Stadium area. We were joined by some of Noc's friend. Soon Samicreep joined us (but he left us as soon as he get into the stadium). We went to the gate around 8:30.
And BCB sucks again. They would not allow us to get into stadium. There are around 50 people in the gate and nobody was allowed as high ups did not give them the permission to allow spectator in the stadium. Though there was a toss and play would start in schdule time (at the time we did not know). In this time SM Hasan and I were get into an argument with one BCB official. Even at that time he was arguing that play would start at 11 and why so rush? And we actually belive him as there was too much rain yesterday. Some of us were arguing you want a stampade and at last good sense prevail (BTW in other galleres specataors entry were unhindered). At last we get into the Stadium around 8:45 and soon Rabz with some of his friends joined us.
Just at nine the game started. At the time there was not many. In our gallery there would be less than five hundred people and in the whole stadium there was not more than five thousand people. People were too pessimestic. And after Russel were clobbered spectator's confidence gone down.
But the stadium come into life once Mash striked. The stadium became a fortress. Every moment were cheered by thousands of us. Noc became our poster boy; because whenever he went out to recieve one of his missing friend to the gate, we got a wicket. By the time Vettori came he was facing an aggresive crowd who would cheer every Bangladeshi move and jeer every kiwi attempt. People were appreciating Ash for keeping a Slip and some of us arguing why Ash was not putting a silly mid off and why bowlers are not giving flight.
Stadium was came into standstill when Mash was hit by loader. Actually some of us did not watch match; instead we were trying to figure out what is going on with Mash. Some start to curse BCB. The biggest clap in the stadium was heard when Mash reentered. However, Stadium became too silent when Vet-Oram was doing their repairing job. With each passing over our hope was evaporating. It came to its lowest when Oram hit that masive six. It was such brutal force. It landed in the second tier. Even Vet's out did not cheer up. But it went to sky rocket when Mash came back and Riyad (it was not Shahadat as mention in match thread) put down the catch (it went for the six); Fortunately he took it in the next ball; You would hear the largest swear words when Nayeem drop the lolly.
But still we were reasonably happy. Most of us thought that it is chaseble unless we messed up. From the 20th Sept I was shouting that we are going to win this match; I was quite confidant that we could pull it up. Rabz quoted " We would win by Seven Wickets".
Between the innings we gracefully say good bye to Pilot. The whole stadium saluted one of the true fighter by clapping and giving him a standing ovation. He returned the favour in a true sportsman way.
We find that Bangladesh team was so eager to win the game. The openers were actually waiting for the umpires and NZ players to get into field. And the boy Tamim start the procedding with a wonderful on drive and stadium came into standstill when Tamim failed. However most of the crowd appreacite that it was Mushy not Ash in the middle. Mush - Z played intelligently and without any risk. Our confidance again sky rocketed but in our mind we are still feeling that the dreaded collapse is around. Mushy was applauded for the six but probably Zunaid's four over long on was more appreciated as it came after long break. When Ash was batting almost everyone's heart was in the mouth; we start to curse Z when he was trying to play extravagent shot close to his 50 and after his 50. By the time, Ash hit the six we know we are home and we start partying in the gallery.
QUOTES OF THE DAY

Quote:
RABZ: We would win by Seven Wicket
RABZ'S FRIEND: We are the official Swearing and Cursing Sponsor
A NEIGHBOR OF US: Don't talk about those traitors name in this stadium (When I talked about Aftab and Dhiman
Nocturnal: Thank you ICL for taking out our weed
Old October 9, 2008, 12:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
From Stadium

'Thebest'

I Just felt this BC eye witness report should be here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTES OF THE DAY

Quote:
RABZ: We would win by Seven Wicket
RABZ'S FRIEND: We are the official Swearing and Cursing Sponsor
A NEIGHBOR OF US: Don't talk about those traitors name in this stadium (When I talked about Aftab and Dhiman
Nocturnal: Thank you ICL for taking out our weed (shwags)
now ICL give us some 'good kind weed' in exchange! a joke, don't take it too seriously guys...
Old October 9, 2008, 01:08 PM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Cornered Tigers roar once again
The Daily Star

Mohammad Ashraful's men proved that when the chips are down, they still have in them what it takes to pull out a victory out of nowhere.

Nobody expected the Tigers to take a 1-0 lead in the three-match series against New Zealand at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur yesterday, but as it always happens, it turned out just right.

The saga of the fourteen players, including several internationals, leaving for the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) hit Bangladesh cricket hard and many predicted that it would take many years to get over the mess. But coach Jamie Siddons agreed after yesterday's seven-wicket win that the entire episode probably did his side a small favour.

"We had the ICL stuff with the changing of several players and a lot of talk and distractions and before that there was the loss against Australia. But credit goes to the boys," said Siddons, who praised the man brought in for this match to replace one of the ICL rebels.

"The one debutant [Nayeem Islam] did a great job with the ball (10-0-34-0) and was probably our best fielder today. Losing players from the group is never good and I hope that doesn't happen again but the team looked good out there."

The Australian coach hoped that the players learned something from the victory, the type he has always stressed, saying: "I don't want to be a stick in the mud but they learned how to play a type of cricket where they had to bowl, bat and field well to win an international game. Hopefully they learned to do this today."

"It is definitely a big relief and a long time coming. As I said yesterday [Wednesday], I think we are playing good cricket to win. It is as good a win that I've ever had for Australia and I will definitely have a smile on my face tonight," said the Bangladesh coach.

Siddons spoke highly of Mashrafe Bin Mortaza and Zunaed Siddiqui but was pleased with his captain, who took his advice on building the innings.

"It was a real captain's knock and I liked how he went about the innings. If [Mohammad] Ashraful or Zunaed [Siddiqui] got out at that stage, we'd have been in trouble," admitted Siddons.

Ashraful was pleased with his own performance, 60 off 56 balls, calling it a memorable moment in his stint as the captain.

"I have always tried to do well and I will continue try doing as well as I can. It is definitely a memorable time for me as a captain and I am pleased that it was a team performance," said the ace batsman.

"We started off very well with Mashrafe [Bin Mortaza] providing it and all the bowlers contributing. And definitely it was a good toss to win," he added.

But days such as this are rare and Ashraful's time as the leader has been full of questions with the number of losses piling up. But the man himself wasn't ready to say that this innings probably saved his captaincy.

"My problem was always my performance with the bat. It was not my field placings or bowling changes. I am enjoying the time and I have the players' support," said Ashraful.

His opposite number acknowledged that Bangladesh were the better team on the day but also said that the overhead conditions played its part.

"Obviously you have to give credit to Bangladesh. They played well. They won the toss on conditions that suited the bowlers and they made the most of it.

"But when you are 60-5, you are up against it. We recovered reasonably well with Oram's innings but the wicket dried up and we were held up at 201," said Vettori, adding that he decided to play the extra seamer as the conditions were favourable for bowling first.

But the left-arm spinner admitted that he wouldn't put that as an excuse for losing the match. "We weren't good enough on the day," said Vettori.

He probably missed the services of off-spinner Jeetan Patel as the wicket dried up when the sun came out.

"I think it was pretty obvious we wanted to bowl first so If we had done that, the team was right," added Vettori.

"We respect the players at an individual level although their team record is not great. [Mohammad] Ashraful, [Abdur] Razzak and [Mashrafe Bin] Mortaza have very good one-day record and are good cricketers.

"If they can put it together as a team, they can become tougher," said the New Zealand captain.

The New Zealand team are scheduled to train at the Mirpur venue today, ahead of Saturday's second game and the Kiwi hoped that his side learned from their mistakes.

"It is a tough start to the tour and the key is what we make of it in the series. Bangladesh have the momentum and we must make sure we rectify what wrong we did today [Thursday]," added Vettori.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:11 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: MashrafeRazzakShakib(atm)

It looks like all the news papers article have been posted here and that's why I would like to post my own comment here which is " Bangladesh kintu NewZealand k dhora bhora dicha, arekbar bhora dita parlei seires jita jabe Bangladesh". Mashrafe should fire up with the ball and he should "Dhora DIBA" batsmender always.

We are all expecting Bangladesh to win the ODI series against NewZealand now.

Last edited by arafath79; October 9, 2008 at 01:32 PM..
Old October 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Here's one from Khondaker Mirazur Rahman, editor of a website called BanglaCricket.com:

Quote:
Bangladesh take lead after comprehensive victory
9 October 2008

Bangladesh have produced one of their finest performances in ODI to thrash visiting New Zealand by 7 wickets with more than 4 overs to spare and took 1-0 lead in the three match Brac Bank ODI series at Mirpur Sher E Bangla National Stadium in Dhaka today. Bangladesh capitalized on winning the toss in damp conditions and bowlers responded with an impeccable performance to restrict the Kiwis for a modest 201 for 9 in 50 overs. Unlike many other occasions, batsmen kept the momentum going and scripted a famous victory to prove the critics wrong after the much talked ICL exodus. It was a near perfect performance from a new look Bangladesh and they deserve every credit for standing tall during the most turbulent time of Bangladesh cricket.
More at http://www.banglacricket.com/tours/2...N_BD//tour.php
Old October 9, 2008, 01:33 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

ha ha ha ... I am late. Deleting the duplicate post.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:35 PM
Cricket Savant

Good one Miraz bhai.
Some spelling correction is needed.

"sparkling onslaught" and "derailed innings".

Thanks.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Thanks Mijan bhai, directly typed on the BC bulletin system and didn't run the spell checker.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:56 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Nice to see in these articles the international media changed their tone towards BD team. It is a nice strong slap to senior Chappel who deserved it. I hope next time these idiots would be careful before making any non-sense comments.
Old October 9, 2008, 01:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

yo guyz luk how much bigger Jesse Ryder lukz compared 2 mushy...lukz really funny ahah

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/De...|0&id=83183826
Old October 9, 2008, 03:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

fantastic to read all these articles.. its nice to see these articles praising the team.. i'm looking forward to the 2nd odi..
Old October 9, 2008, 03:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I don't know about you guys, but, all started after Miraz gave JS the pep talk. So, I dedicate this win to Miraz, our ever vigilant Editor.One day I would like to intern with him as an assistant Editor.
Old October 9, 2008, 03:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
I don't know about you guys, but, all started after Miraz gave JS the pep talk. So, I dedicate this win to Miraz, our ever vigilant Editor.One day I would like to intern with him as an assistant Editor.
After all he was the first one to speak for jamie in this site when we were desperately looking for someone. pep talk must have worked.

We need two more pep talks. one with Rafiqul Alam and one with WC2011 BCB head in charge.

Future will be bright and joyful.
Old October 9, 2008, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers_eye
we need two more pep talks. One with rafiqul alam
দেখি মিরাজ ভাই বলদকে মানুষ করায় কতটা পারদর্শী।
Old October 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend

http://www.skysports.com/cricket/mat..._15331,00.html

From Sky Sports:

Tigers claim New Zealand scalp
Bangladesh dominate series opener

First One Day International
Mirpur
New Zealand 201-9 (J D P Oram 57, Mashrafe Mortaza 4-44)
v Bangladesh 203-3 (Junaid Siddique 84, Mohammad Ashraful 60 no)
Bangladesh beat New Zealand by 7 wkts
Bangladesh shrugged off the recent loss of 14 players to the Indian Cricket League with their maiden one-day international win over New Zealand.

The Tigers reached a target of 202 with 4.3 overs to spare to earn a seven-wicket success in the opening game of the three-match series in Mirpur.

Opening batsman Junaid Siddique took Bangladesh to the brink of victory with a career-best innings of 85.

After Kyle Mills (1-28) removed Tamim Iqbal (12) early in the run chase, Siddique shared stands

worth 67 with Musfiqur Rahim (30) and 109 with captain Mohammad Ashraful.

Siddique fell to medium pacer Scott Styris (1-23) with eight still required, but Ashraful saw his side safely across the line to finish unbeaten on 60 from just 56 deliveries.

Jacob Oram had earlier rescued New Zealand from 79-6 with a painstaking half-century.

The all-rounder hit 57 from 89 balls, including a 70-run seventh-wicket stand with Daniel Vettori (30), to get the Black Caps up to a respectable final total of 201-9.

Mortaza strikes
Mashrafe Mortaza had ripped out the tourists' top three with an incisive spell of new-ball bowling.

Mortaza accounted for Brendon McCullum, Jesse Ryder and Jamie How (7), and returned later to remove Kyle Mills (16) and complete figures of 4-44.

Ryder, playing his first international for eight months following a hand injury, raced to 30 with four fours and a six inside six overs, but the loss of opening partner McCullum (14) prompted a collapse of six wickets for just 32 runs.

And although Oram partially rescued the situation with his intelligent knock, it was still not enough.

The match was also the debut of the International Cricket Council's new regulation allowing the batting side to choose when to employ one of either the second or third power plays.

The hosts came into the series with low expectations after the defection of a raft of fringe internationals to the ICL.

Aftab Ahmed, Alok Kapali, Shahriar Nafees, Farhad Reza, Dhiman Ghosh, Mosharraf Hossain and Nazimuddin were the biggest names to join the Dhaka Warriors in the unsanctioned Twenty20 tournament, effectively ending their international careers as the Bangladesh Cricket Board handed them 10-year bans.

The second instalment of the series takes place in Mirpur on Saturday.