facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 1, 2010, 09:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman
Default Cricket's great pay gap

The £4,000 cheque that Mohammad Aamer picked up at Lord’s on Sunday as Pakistan’s player of the series underlined his country’s status as the poor relations of world cricket.

It would be small change for most international cricketers, but is more than three
times the £1,300 he earns a month from his Pakistan Cricket Board contract.

Although the Pakistanis are thought to pick up around £3,000 per Test, that is still half as much as the English and Australian players.

Even the more experienced Mohammad Asif - the other Pakistan fast bowler implicated in the no-ball scandal - receives relatively little.

Despite being in the highest of the three categories used by the PCB to determine payments, Asif picks up less than £1,900 a month - roughly the same as a young cricketer playing his first game for India.

That can rise with match fees and win bonuses, but even then the Pakistanis lag behind every other Test-playing nation bar Bangladesh, where top players get about £1,000 a month.

England’s top centrally contracted cricketers, by contrast, are understood to be paid in the region of £250,000-£400,000 a year, while the top-earning South Africans are paid more than £100,000 for central contracts.

IN A DIFFERENT LEAGUE: THE CENTRAL CONTRACTS

Australia: £400,000
England: £400,000
South Africa: £105,000
India: £82,500
West Indies: £77,250
Sri Lanka: £77,250
Pakistan: £22,500
Bangladesh: £12,000

Figures per player, per year

Even the best-paid West Indians, who operate under a cash-strapped board, get a retainer of nearly £80,000. And the Pakistanis’ sense of grievance may be fuelled by the riches of neighbours and rivals India.

The best Indian players, such as Sachin Tendulkar and Rahul Dravid, earn a basic salary of more than £80,000 - a figure that soars with match and tour fees, sponsorship deals and Indian Premier League contracts.

India’s young pace bowler Ishant Sharma, who turns 22 on Tuesday, earned around £4,000 for each of the 150 balls he sent down in this year’s IPL - a competition the Pakistanis are banned from playing in for political reasons.

Even more gallingly for the Pakistanis, cricketers from other nations - riding on the
back of an increase in player power - are now paid a percentage of their board’s
annual income.

Indian cricketers pick up 26 per cent of their board’s takings, the Australians 25 per cent and South Africans 20 per cent. Once all payments and endorsements are taken
into account, leading South African cricketers take home close to £1million a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cri...t-pay-gap.html

I thought Sri Lankans weren't paid so well. Maybe that changed after the deal with the BCCI.

Old September 1, 2010, 10:00 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Thanks for the article. Why no New Zealand.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:04 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

BTW guys I run a good cricket club, I manage it, the money everything and I am telling you man it's not n easy job, giving all the wages to the players on time on the dot, at the end of the day it is draining but very satisfying I find.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:33 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujhee kom
BTW guys I run a good cricket club, I manage it, the money everything and I am telling you man it's not n easy job, giving all the wages to the players on time on the dot, at the end of the day it is draining but very satisfying I find.
now don't tell me that the name of the club is 'dhaka mental hospital' !
Old September 1, 2010, 10:51 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Thanks for the article. Why no New Zealand.
May be, with such a small crowd none of the New Zealanders (bar a few regular like Vettori or McCullum) takes cricket as a profession, each of them has some main business and cricket is just for some side income.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:49 AM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

wow i didn't realise bangladesh players get paid so little.
Old September 1, 2010, 12:13 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

i've got a feeling someone will snap up tamim next year to play county cricket, considering he isn't paid that much anyway, counties would be able to afford him as he wouldn't demand much money.
Old September 1, 2010, 08:01 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

I honestly dont think that the WI cricketers get that much money with their board being so cash strapped. they are always fighting about money, and that early pay is very high for the WI.

Surprised to hear that 1200 to 1500 pounds per month is base salary for a grade A player, did not realize that it was so low. I wonder how much players who are not on cental contracts earn in domestic cricket. must be peanuts.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

And I was thinking I will make my elder a pacer.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:33 PM
Cricket Sage

ek duniya bhai pacer na spinner banan. amra rafique chai nothing less

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old September 2, 2010, 02:15 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
^^must earn a lot....................... the natoks with probha should bring him a fair bit of cash
U Sure? I thought he rathar lost some ...
Old September 2, 2010, 04:48 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Getting paid about Taka 100,000 per month is more than decent comparing the cost of living in Bangladesh. A bottle of mineral water would cost you around 2 dollars in Aus/UK, whereas, they would cost you Tk 10 in Dhaka, ie, 15 pence.

The cost of living in UK, Aus, SA is way way higher than that of Bangladesh or Pakistan. So, the figures alone would be misrepresented.

Being said that, Im a little surprised to see the pakistani players not earning in the somewhere close to, atleast, the Sri Lankans. The indians have it big and have it good, they are the prime cricket market. So 82K sounds not so much for an indian cricketer, but with 77K, SLC did surprise me.

I'm sure as we start to become a dominant cricket power and our demand increases, we'd see a better revenue from media contracts which in turn would increase the salary of our players.

But now for those brain freeze idiots, i think they get paid very handsomely.
If BCB needs to increase any fees, it should be from the bottom tier, first divisioner n those other players who dont earn Tk 30 lacs like mash,ash,tamim or sakib.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old September 2, 2010, 05:19 AM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
^^must earn a lot.he's an A grade player and he's also always in the team plus those ads for pepsi and kingfisher soyabean oil and the natoks with probha should bring him a fair bit of cash
apu ash a+ grade player along with mash... Both get 100000+ only from board..
Old September 2, 2010, 05:33 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

with better prformnce and more success,more wins the salary will get higher.
which is why the Sri r getting so much money.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
Old September 2, 2010, 06:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

we are in a global market : if they becomes orld class player they gonna earns millions $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ : with ipl , fpt20 , big bash etc
Old September 2, 2010, 07:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

Sri lanka cricket BD has more players on their payroll, they pay the A team, and other players who do not even play for the A team, also the U19 gets a stipend, their domestic players are also payed well.
In all, Aravinda said that they pay 87 cricketers. Where does a little island gets that much money?

Once again, I spoke with someone who knows the inside out of WI cricket and when i told him that the central players earn about 77 thousand pounds per year, he laughed and asked if I was crazy, they dont even get half of that, that is the reason that they are always at loggerheads.many times they dont get paid for months.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

now you know why SL plays Ind all the time.
Old September 2, 2010, 08:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

12000 is ok for BD standard. Add match fee+Club money+PCL+NCL+tuk tak tv commercial, they get more than enough.
Btw I am not sure this money is enough for Tamim. He spends too much, already bought BMW and traveling all over the world.
Old September 2, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Rafi_
12000 is ok for BD standard. Add match fee+Club money+PCL+NCL+tuk tak tv commercial, they get more than enough.
Btw I am not sure this money is enough for Tamim. He spends too much, already bought BMW and traveling all over the world.
We are talking about 20 guys (out of 160 milion) who are the best at their job. 1K per month is a very poor salary compared to the skill needed to get there. Being one of the best in his business, affording a BMW should be a trifle matter for Tamim.
Old September 2, 2010, 10:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

our cricketers retire with a hansome amount of money i guess,provided that they are always around the national team.their interviews from their homes gives the impression that the are pretty well paid
Old September 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

This is what Imran Khan said''আইপিএলে খেলে এখন যে অর্থ এক বছরে ক্রিকেটাররা পাচ্ছে, সেটা আমি ২১ বছর খেলে পাইনি।
The players of today are so lucky.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:17 AM
Cricket Legend

well, players of sobers' generation can say that about imran's generation as well. that's the reality of life, at least in the sub-continent we do earn more than our parent's generation.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

There seems to be a misconception here. You guys are assuming that all the players get the same salaries from their boards. When in fact it is mentioned in the article that only the top players get those salaries. And that in most cases would be 3-4 players per team. So from Sri Lanka I think only Sanga, Murali and Jayawardene get the 75k. While from WI it would Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul. And in our case Mash, Ash, Shakib and Tamim get the £12k. The rest receive much less.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:38 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Who in the practice/field of cricket has most money in BD? Ans: Lotus Kamal

Who made the most money playing for BD or in BD leagues as a cricketer? Ans: Habibul?

Who is the oldest man in BD to make money out of playing professional cricket? Ans: Raqibul, the older one, I swear he was in his sixties when he used to play in 80's.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:47 AM
Cricket Legend

The Contracted players dont get paid 12K each year, the article on daily mail is wrong the highest any english player got last year was around 350k that paul collingwood(played the most matches). Just think about it 12K is just not correct they got paid $6000 for each test and $4000 For each ODI, how can that be now reduced to 12K a year.