facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 30, 2005, 10:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Yes he should retire. He only bowls at 105+ Km/h which is only 15 Km/h faster than Rafique. I dont think there is a place for this pace of bowling in an international side.

Old June 30, 2005, 10:56 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: sreesanth

Chchar jonno onek kostho lagchay. He tries really hard for the team. I see him as one of the most inspirational player in the Bangladesh team. But sadly i think, it is the right time for him to leave in dignity.

Iti
Vatizza

Edited on, July 1, 2005, 3:59 AM GMT, by Mon.
Old June 30, 2005, 11:02 PM
Cricket Legend

was that last ball a 4 or a 6 - i thought it landed inside the rope and the final aussie score was 254 or was it?

Cost of a bd vs australia ticket to see chacha's farewell: $45
Chacha's value to the team in recent times: $2
Seeing Chacha's name etched at the top of his run-up mark simply as "Cha-cha": Priceless.

Sujon's 22 ball knock was superb, and it was a good move by Bashar to pick him on this slower wicket where his bowling is more effective.

I don't think chacha will retire before the SL series - he'll go out with some matches against SL at home. At this point we have put up with him so long it doesn't matter. But it was nice to see him play well today, and I cheered him on. Having said that, I don;'t understand these so-called fans of Sujon, how can they justify Sujon's inclusion over the years despite poor performances? maybe it's his bubbly personality, everyone wishes him well but it is really hard to make a case for his cricketing talents. esteemed members here should avoid appearing silly by continuing these mindless arguments.
Old June 30, 2005, 11:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq

I don;'t understand these so-called fans of Sujon, how can they justify Sujon's inclusion over the years despite poor performances?
Its pretty simple. The same way when some people justified off-form Alok, Hannan and in some way Rajin's inclusion.

The only difference is they are more talented and ChaCha is not. But when you start liking some player, you try your best to justify his inclusion even that stat doesn't back up: hidden talent, experience, performance once in a blue-moon, etc, etc.
Old June 30, 2005, 11:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Happy farewell SUjon.
Old June 30, 2005, 11:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq

I don;'t understand these so-called fans of Sujon, how can they justify Sujon's inclusion over the years despite poor performances?
Its pretty simple. The same way when some people justified off-form Alok, Hannan and in some way Rajin's inclusion.

The only difference is they are more talented and ChaCha is not. But when you start liking some player, you try your best to justify his inclusion even that stat doesn't back up: hidden talent, experience, performance once in a blue-moon, etc, etc.
alok, rajin, hannan....mushfiq, shanto, manju....bikash ranjan das - you name the player but the difference is none of them were as bad for as long as chacha was. chacha had moments in the limelight that often were on the few winning causes for bangladesh, and that endeared him to fans. Wouldn't it be just easier to say "i really like the guy, there is no real cricketing reason, I just like him". I would respect that but to try to make cricketing justifications on and on is nuts. If you think alok, rajin, hannan never had a good outing and won't play again, you are mistaken.
Old June 30, 2005, 11:54 PM
First Class Cricketer

akabir,

shujon started playing for the national team well after 93 ICC..so he is not even close to being founding father or whatever u have mentioned.. off course, he cannot help it.. but that is the fact..

he first came into fray in 87/88...that is altready very late.. good thing is that bangladesh started playing one day cricket from 85.-6...

by the way, i have followed BD cricket since Shamim Kabir days.. and remember things fairly well..
so that is a over statement...
Old July 1, 2005, 01:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Beamer
Please refrain from any personal attacks. Not necessary to call someone crazy or stupid ( not stupit ) just beacuse you don't agree. Many great innings? When and where? after all this years, he had one ODI fifty to his name. At times he has bowled well in ODI's. I give you that match. The little that is said about his test performance ( batting and bowling ), the better. You mention Multan and his performance. Funny..did you not know his bowling avg at that time was a topic of international humiliation and laughing stock? You wanna give him a special farewell. Do it on your own. There is no room for such emotional garbage in competetive intl game. Have a nice sendoff off the field, if you must, but it must not come at the cost of the national team.
i do apologise for the personal attack. i shouldnt i am sorry. and thank you for the spelling correction. read your post you will find some spelling mistakes on yours too. anyway, khaled mahmud never played any good innins for us? his debut match against india in 1998 where he scored 47, it still remains the highest runs for any odi debut player for our country. i am sure you didnt forget his performance in 1999 WC against pakistan, which opened the door for us for getting test status. let me remind you, he was awarded man of the match. all the talk about multan, khaled mahmud was the main reason why we gotten so close to winning the match.taking 4 wickets in 13 overs and giving only 37 runs and he came back in the second innins taking 3 wickets giving 68 runs in 28 overs. he also has 2 man of the match award in odi only player who has more in ashraful. khaled mahmud has done alot for our cricket. he is the most loved and respected player in the dressing room. when the team is full of young guys who are teenagers or in their early 20s khaled mahmuds leadership can really help them.
i agree that his cricket days are numbered but he deserves to go out with respect. i just dont want what happened to akram bulbul nannu to happen to shujon. because all of these guys deserved better farewell. non of those guys were able to say bye to cricket the way they wanted to. akram is the only one who retired officially by giving a press conference and guess what no one for the bcb showed up except for khaled mahmud. our veteran players needs to be treated with respect. because they have given alot to our cricket. players like akram bulbul nannu atahar shanto rafique shumon pilot and khaled mahmud are legends of bangladesh cricket. and after all that they given to our cricket they dont deserve the bashing from the fans.
Old July 1, 2005, 01:59 AM
Street Cricketer

Khaled Mahmood Sujon is not good enough to play at international level but that does not insinuate that he can't play domestic cricket. He can play for another 5 years if the local clubs want him that badly but the current BD team has too many good performances in this tour and we do not need players like Sujon and Javed Omar to hinder our progress in ODI.

Most teams are becoming more professional and improving fast. We will need to keep improving as well to be able to compete with all other teams.

Players like Shahriar Nafees can play knocks like that every now and then though he could not score from many balls ... that's because Australia is a much better fielding side than ours.

Against a weaker fielding side, many of his shots would have produced runs.

Ashraful, Aftab, Shariar, Bashar, Tushar played competitive ODI games. Javed Omar played well as well but when the team needed strike rate of 125 he was scoring at a strike rate of 50. We should not be just happy with scoring 200+ when we are chasing 391. The way Javed Omar played against England in the ODI left a lot to be desired.
Old July 1, 2005, 02:02 AM
Test Cricketer

We lost the last match against Aussies again for his bowling and fielding . His last over was so expensive and he does a misfield for 3 runs too .
Old July 1, 2005, 04:33 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by shaoun
khaled mahmud has one good game in his career? he played many great innins for our country. that test in multan that we almost won, khaled mahmud has the best bowling figure. that is still the second best bowling figure in test for bd after enamul's against zimbabwe. i agree he is not best of form rightnow. but he has been a big part of our team for a long time. and he has been one of the best captain, i only rate akram khan as a better captain. pilot bashar non of those guys has the leadership skill that he has. i personally want to see shujon retire by playing his last match not in england but in dhaka front of his home crowd.(yes the crowd that showed booed him many times) but that is how it should be. he is a legend in bangladesh cricket and unlike akram bulbul enamul haque sr and few others i want to see him retire with dignity and i wanna see him retire by announcing it ahead of time and by playing his last game front of his home crowd. shujon deserves that.

Edited on, July 1, 2005, 7:08 AM GMT, by reverse_swing.
Reason: Pls refrain from rudeness and personal attacks.
I agree 100%
Old July 1, 2005, 04:37 AM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
If he doesn't, then force him to retire. Don't pick him in any preliminary squads and he should get the message. However, his bowling was decent today. Botham said it can't get any worse than his last game when he had a duck and 3-39 figure. When he scored his first run, he said, its already better than the last game. His fielding is another matter. Actually all the old guys are awful fielders. They are slow . rafiq, shumon, shujon..all bad fielders.
Rafique? Bad fielder? I beg to differ. How many bounderies he saved aginst Aus in Cardiff?
Old July 1, 2005, 05:58 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by James90
Quote:
Originally posted by left-hander
Quote:
Originally posted by Spitfire_x86
He should, since it's a good time for him to retire with honor. He had a fairly good farewell match, 22 runs from 22 balls, 1 wicket, 1 catch
and one terrible misfield...I thought I heard the commentators say that he got hit for a six (by Symonds) off the last ball of his career.
Last ball he faced he got out
Last ball he bowled got hit for six
Last ball he tried to field and he let 3 runs in
:

Old July 1, 2005, 06:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Chacha's period itslef Chacha was a avg player but just bcoz he had very good sense of cricket, u was rated highly among the Bangladeshi players. He was always some1 ready to fight & make all the players understand and infact he use to condole the players whn eva they faield.....

This was so nice of Chacha....he is infact a good person by heart...he still says "A,ar ke kono morjada nai ODI khelar"

which shows he still wanna play for the team and thinks he still can fight on...

But Guys, its sad to say now Chacha should retire and work with Bangladesh cricket as a local coach. I heard he wanted to start coaching....Inshallah he will succeed there...

After all...we need to thnk him besides Allah bcoz he only helped Ashraful come in limelight.

He took Ash to the club to play. It was bcoz of his request they let him play otherwise they considered Ash to die out there in the crease....

So, with honor Chacha should retire now....

Hope BCB takes the initiative to bid him good fairwell....

Edited on, July 24, 2005, 2:59 PM GMT, by lance_klusner.
Old July 1, 2005, 09:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally posted by feisal
akabir,

shujon started playing for the national team well after 93 ICC..so he is not even close to being founding father or whatever u have mentioned.. off course, he cannot help it.. but that is the fact..

he first came into fray in 87/88...that is altready very late.. good thing is that bangladesh started playing one day cricket from 85.-6...

by the way, i have followed BD cricket since Shamim Kabir days.. and remember things fairly well..
so that is a over statement...
Well good for u that u followed the game but my q is why did u forgot or don't wanna see the good things that he did(which some others already mentioned) when no one else stepped up?

I am/was angry on his inclusion on some games when he played poorly and was happy when he did good but bd wasn't some team that was plying superbly so he was a avg ply in a poor team and stand out with some others and that's why i mentioned the great names of bd cricket from the time before the ICC win (cause 90% of today’s followers of the game started to follow after that win which is great for BD cricket).

Anyway i am tired of talking about this topic.. Even though he wasn't a big big fan of him it hurts me that none of our good player are getting the proper farewell. There will be always some reason for the good plyrs to have a lot of bad performance at their end time and thats why we didn't had a proper farewell for akram, bulbul, athaher and now shujon i am sure we wont have one for our beloved rafiq cause then some will say he is not getting any wkts (which he has started to do) and drop him and don't let him play his last match (as if we r in the final of a WC or some thing and we will win....) I guess as a bangalee we r forgetful of past and i was supporting sujon not to repeat that trend.....
Old July 1, 2005, 01:46 PM
First Class Cricketer

akabir,

u have not seen my earlier posts where i talked about his career when someone asked the 'shan e najul" of the name fighter..and some other posts too..

i just had to put a boundary condition as far as his contribution is concerned.. he was not even the part of that A team that defeated India A in that SAARC cricket..

.Anyway, meaningless now to continue on this.. let's hope for the best.

something tells me that he will want to drag on..pretty thoughtless it will be on his part.. it is time to move forward.. persisting with him will not do any good in the long term..

remember how he accused all the team mebers when his captaincy was stripped.. so i want to put another boundary condition as far how much he earns respect and all that..
Old July 1, 2005, 01:50 PM
First Class Cricketer

akabir,

u have raised an excellent point on proper farewell..

i think i wrote in another thread replying to someone and gave examples, of vivian Richards and zaheer Abbas.. not getting aproper farewell. what about Jr waugh???

and why did Gavaskar, C-L-M , Ian Chappell got aprper one??? because they declared the retirement when they were still the part of the team.. and did not want to become a burden...

now, if chacha cannot help himself who will????

even though, i still cannot compare him with bulbul, akram, nannu, and atahar.. my conclusion is safe as i have seen the entire career of all these people...
Old July 1, 2005, 02:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Since I am fan of chacha..i had to write someting. I am pretty sure we will be having similar threads on Rafiq in near future, when Enamul, Razzak, Nadif wil knock his doors.

Anyway, I think chacha shud retire and he might. I didnt see any post regarding the after math of '99 world cup. How horrendous was it then under Pilot and how it was revived by Chacha and Dev W. I hope somebody at least respect that. Anyway, I wish him luck and hopefully he gets a good farewell match in Dhaka. May be an ODI against Srilanks.
Old July 1, 2005, 02:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Quote:
Originally posted by feisal
akabir,

u have raised an excellent point on proper farewell..

i think i wrote in another thread replying to someone and gave examples, of vivian Richards and zaheer Abbas.. not getting aproper farewell. what about Jr waugh???

and why did Gavaskar, C-L-M , Ian Chappell got aprper one??? because they declared the retirement when they were still the part of the team.. and did not want to become a burden...

now, if chacha cannot help himself who will????

even though, i still cannot compare him with bulbul, akram, nannu, and atahar.. my conclusion is safe as i have seen the entire career of all these people...
You r right about those plyrs. But A team like bd its hard for plyr to do so cause every one is failing (even 2/3 yrs agao) so i guess they wanted to continue thinking they r not much worse...

I am not comparing chacha with them i know they r much much better plyr and if we had BC at that time i would voice loudly also for them cause their career was cut short... But seems we did something wrong (with the other plyrs) and got a chance to correct them (a AVG ply still in the team) shouldn't we take that chance and try to start from somewhere???

By the way the plyr you mentioned was highly criticized also at their time and was left out from the team and some like me tried to make people understand that the chg won't do any good... And I am saying it now again NOT showing respect to a plyr (even if he is not doing great now) will not do any good.
Old July 1, 2005, 02:23 PM
Club Cricketer

here is a link for details of chacha:
http://www.nayadiganta.com/2005/07/01/khela_diganta.htm
Old July 1, 2005, 02:26 PM
Club Cricketer

He is going to be chief co-ordinator of development programme. I Think this is the right decision.
Old July 1, 2005, 02:32 PM
Street Cricketer

sasa ami apnare bhatiji hishabe e boltesi

ebar ektu doya kore resign koroon

:P

Edited on, July 1, 2005, 7:39 PM GMT, by my_man_MM.
Old July 1, 2005, 03:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

I would not go to the extent of calling them legend, I will call them pioneers in our small footsteps to the international arena.

I think our legends are in the making in the likes of Ashraful, Aftab, Shahriar, Masri and the legends will be Inshallah as follows

1. Fastest Double Century in ODIS.
2. Highest Individual Score in an ODI
3. Highest Run Chase to Win.
4. Most Wickets in ODI by a Bangladeshi
5. Most Wickets in a Test.

etc.

Now, coming back to Shujon, we appreciate his efforts but it is time to move on.

Azim

Quote:
...players like akram bulbul nannu atahar shanto rafique shumon pilot and khaled mahmud are legends of bangladesh cricket. and after all that they given to our cricket they dont deserve the bashing from the fans.
Old July 1, 2005, 03:56 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

i don't see why so many people seem to dislike khaled mahmud so much.

was he my least favorite player? yes in many ways he was. did i cringe every time i saw him in the bowling attack, not to mention the playing XI? yes, i most certainly did.

but remember that he always fought for the team. he was a true tiger in every sense of the word. and he DISCOVERED ashraful.

but in our greatest hour of need, he stepped up. regardless of his lack of talent or ability, he was among our most important cricketers. and for that he is indeed "larger than life."

i am exceedingly happy that at last he is gone, but at the same time i have unspeakable sorrow to bid farewell to this Royal Bengal Tiger.

We will miss you Chacha. Good luck in all that you do and may the Lord bless you!

Ameen.
Old July 1, 2005, 04:00 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally posted by ReckmyBack
We lost the last match against Aussies again for his bowling and fielding . His last over was so expensive and he does a misfield for 3 runs too .
the best players make mistakes and shujon did not do that on purpose.

he is a cricketer that will remain dearest to my heart regardless if ashraful or any other bangladeshi ever becomes the best player in the history of cricket.