facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 10, 2013, 07:02 PM
Cricket Guru

With SR 116 in Test, 91 in FC, you can't justify any hypothesis with Rubel, for a place in the Test team. He should be kept out of the Test team even more now as he continues to struggle with his shoulder injury.

Old February 10, 2013, 07:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

^but who else to put? I agree Nazmul should be there in the set up but it's not like we have class pacers just lying around. Also Rubel bowled pretty badly in the 1st innings of the Dhaka Test but in the 2nd innings and in the Khulna Test he bowled very well I thought.
Old February 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger444
^but who else to put? I agree Nazmul should be there in the set up but it's not like we have class pacers just lying around. Also Rubel bowled pretty badly in the 1st innings of the Dhaka Test but in the 2nd innings and in the Khulna Test he bowled very well I thought.
If he were fully fit, I would still consider him. But at this point, neither him, nor Shafi has fitness for the longer format. Abul with a FC SR of 130 does not look like a good option either. At this point, Naz is the only decent pacer we are left with, for Tests (unless you want to consider gazakhor Rajib).
Old February 10, 2013, 07:40 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
If he were fully fit, I would still consider him. But at this point, neither him, nor Shafi has fitness for the longer format. Abul with a FC SR of 130 does not look like a good option either. At this point, Naz is the only decent pacer we are left with, for Tests (unless you want to consider gazakhor Rajib).
Nope Rajib should not in consideration. He's already had so many chances and yet he still bowls more immaturely than the likes of Shafiul and Rubel. Time to cut him off. Our pace situation is pretty sad which is why we still struggle to take 20 wickets
Old February 10, 2013, 07:46 PM
Cricket Guru

Yeah, it's a sad situation. At this point, we don't have much of an option other than going with three spinners and one medium pacer (like how India attack used to be back in the time).

Considering Shak won't be fit to bowl long spells, even if he is included in the Test team, imo, we should go with Naz-Sunny-Sohag-Enamul.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

nazmul should be given a decent run, rubel did do pretty well in the last series despite stats so i think he should get at least one more series to see what he can do. leave abul out of it atm for mine, have a look at sajidul, allaudin, the kamrul's and dollar. shafiul imo shouldn't be forgotten, he's been poor in tests so far but by BD standards has a reasonable ODI record (average 34.53, strike rate 35) and his FC record is ok averaging 32.48. i mean he by no means has a great FC record and people can say all they want ODIs are different to tests, i know this, but i also know that shafiul's ODI record is better than most BD pacers and he's bowling against quality batsmen even if they take more risks.

but i'd probably go with nazmul and rubel, and the 3rd pacer spot in the squad can go to one of the promising domestic pacers who actually has a decent record i.e. sajidul, allaudin, kamrul's, dollar.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:35 PM
Cricket Guru

i'd still be picking mash, nazmul and rubel as our pacers for ODIs. i really don't think it matters too much for tests and i think that's why we select on potential, at least the guy with potential has a chance to develop into what he could be. but i mean going with the ones with the highest ceiling of potential hasn't worked, maybe it is time to go for the ones with not quite as much potential but better records.

let's look at the prospects i mentioned in earlier posts.

kamrul islam: average 33 (not great, not horrible), strike rate 53 (good strike rate).
kazi kamrul: average 28, strike rate 55
sajidul: average 27 (pretty much), strike rate 52
dollar: average 25, strike rate 44 (really good average and strike rate)
alauddin: average 31, strike rate 55

they all bowl pretty good pace, they've all got decent to really good FC records and they've all been earmarked at one time or another through their careers as talent prospects.

btw as much as i hate to say this shahadat's test average of 50 with 72 strike rate looks really good compared to rubel and shafiul. it's quite tempting to take nazmul and pick someone from domestics to partner him.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:37 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

I have given up on seeing Nazmul in the Test 11. The coaching setup simply do not rate him. They would go for Abul over Naz even if Abul was playing with one leg.

The sad thing about this year's BPL is the state of our pace bowling. Shapoor Zadran seems like a legendary bowler compared to our pacers. I don't know what is being done to develop more pace bowlers but keeping in mind that the WC 2015 is in Australia, we better think quickly and do something about it.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I have given up on seeing Nazmul in the Test 11. The coaching setup simply do not rate him. They would go for Abul over Naz even if Abul was playing with one leg.

The sad thing about this year's BPL is the state of our pace bowling. Shapoor Zadran seems like a legendary bowler compared to our pacers. I don't know what is being done to develop more pace bowlers but keeping in mind that the WC 2015 is in Australia, we better think quickly and do something about it.
It's going to hurt you MUCH more in tests, not ODIs. You need decent wicket taking bowlers in tests. I agree on Nazmul, must for tests.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
It's going to hurt you MUCH more in tests, not ODIs. You need decent wicket taking bowlers in tests. I agree on Nazmul, must for tests.
Define much more
at the moment the current pick (Rubel) averages a staggering 79 runs per wicket and goes wicket less for 116 balls (roughly 20 overs) with an economy of 4 per over
There isn't much room to do worse than this imo
Old February 11, 2013, 03:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Drop Rubel from tests and bring Mashrafe back. Mashrafe dont think about getting injured, think about the passion of playing test cricket!
Old February 19, 2013, 11:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Looked good in the finals. He is the only BD bowler I have seen who uses reverse swing well. Yet somehow has the worst stats in tests.
Old February 20, 2013, 02:32 AM
Cricket Savant

Ufff.....just when I thought he was out...

YOU PULL HIM RIGHT BACK IN!!!!!!

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old February 20, 2013, 03:23 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Bowled well in the final. He was actually unfortunate not to pick up 6 wickets. Bowled a beautiful swinging yorker to Pollard and an even better delivery to dismiss Anamul. I hope he's starting to regain his form for the SL series.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:35 PM
BC Editorial Team

guys, Rubel has also been tremendously unlucky in Tests. He's had a bunch of dropped catches and LBWs not given. He's better with the older ball.
With Rajib now consigned to SRK and gaja country it's gotta be Rubel and Shafi for Tests unless Mash is ready for it.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
guys, Rubel has also been tremendously unlucky in Tests. He's had a bunch of dropped catches and LBWs not given. He's better with the older ball.
With Rajib now consigned to SRK and gaja country it's gotta be Rubel and Shafi for Tests unless Mash is ready for it.
Good point there Razab bhai. Rubel's actually looked better than stats indicate. When looking at stats, it looks like Shahadat is so much better than Rubel but that hasnt been the case at all. Rubel is putting pressure on batsmen and forcing chances but he's had some bad luck. Agree with you, Rubel and Shafiul should be our Test pacers.
Old February 20, 2013, 06:06 PM
ODI Cricketer

There's a reason Shahadat's stats are better; he's taken four 5 wicket hauls and two 4 wicket hauls compared to Rubel's one 5 wicket haul. Back in the day Shahadat was a promising fast bowler but nowadays he's just as much a liability as Rubel.
Which bowlers don't have "a bunch of dropped catches and LBWs not given" and just how much bad luck does a bowler need to be averaging a tad under 80 after 14 Tests?

Rubel was more than decent in ODIs before his injury, he had variation of pace and a good yorker, he has looked shaky after coming back from his shoulder injury but I would stick with him in ODIs.
However he has very rarely looked like a Test bowler, he has the occasional good spells of bowling but these usually come sandwiched between bad spells.
In Test cricket, the first 15 overs with the new ball are crucial (even on the dead Bangladeshi pitches). We have seen opposition bowlers dismantle Bangladesh's batting line-up in these overs, whilst when Bangladesh are bowling, the pacers look hopeless.
To get full use of the new ball you have to bowl full to get late movement, but I don't think Rubel's action will utilise the new ball. His natural length looks to be back of a length, and if I'm not mistaken he bowls with a scrambled seam. I agree that his action is better suited for reverse swing and he has on occasion bowled good spells of reverse, so at best, he could be used as the third pacer to try and get some reverse swing when the ball is getting old.
So we have to find bowlers who are capable of bowling with the new ball and therein lies the problem, so few if any Bangladeshi pacers have this skill. The situation is getting pretty desperate for Bangladesh. I don't think Mashrafe will be able to play Tests again otherwise he would have been an obvious option.
I would go with Nazmul Hossain, yes, he has no pace, I think everyone is aware of that, but I think he is capable of getting movement with the new ball like he did in the Test against Pakistan, and if he consistently bowls like that then he will get wickets just like he did in that game:-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/538073.html

He will on occasion get blasted by the opposition but I think he is worth the risk as top order wickets are precious and vital to win Tests. Also Vernon Philander has shown that pace isn't everything, control and consistency come into it too (P.S. I'm not comparing Nazmul to Philander!).

Taskin is the new hope and I pray he makes it as he looks special, I would get him into the national squad now even if he is just to be used as a net bowler as this will help him integrate into the team.

I would also keep persisting with Shafiul as I feel he could be taught to bowl with the new ball, and also look at someone like Allaudin Babu as he could be a possible all-rounder.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:19 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden
There's a reason Shahadat's stats are better; he's taken four 5 wicket hauls and two 4 wicket hauls compared to Rubel's one 5 wicket haul. Back in the day Shahadat was a promising fast bowler but nowadays he's just as much a liability as Rubel.
Which bowlers don't have "a bunch of dropped catches and LBWs not given" and just how much bad luck does a bowler need to be averaging a tad under 80 after 14 Tests?

Rubel was more than decent in ODIs before his injury, he had variation of pace and a good yorker, he has looked shaky after coming back from his shoulder injury but I would stick with him in ODIs.
However he has very rarely looked like a Test bowler, he has the occasional good spells of bowling but these usually come sandwiched between bad spells.
In Test cricket, the first 15 overs with the new ball are crucial (even on the dead Bangladeshi pitches). We have seen opposition bowlers dismantle Bangladesh's batting line-up in these overs, whilst when Bangladesh are bowling, the pacers look hopeless.
To get full use of the new ball you have to bowl full to get late movement, but I don't think Rubel's action will utilise the new ball. His natural length looks to be back of a length, and if I'm not mistaken he bowls with a scrambled seam. I agree that his action is better suited for reverse swing and he has on occasion bowled good spells of reverse, so at best, he could be used as the third pacer to try and get some reverse swing when the ball is getting old.
So we have to find bowlers who are capable of bowling with the new ball and therein lies the problem, so few if any Bangladeshi pacers have this skill. The situation is getting pretty desperate for Bangladesh. I don't think Mashrafe will be able to play Tests again otherwise he would have been an obvious option.
I would go with Nazmul Hossain, yes, he has no pace, I think everyone is aware of that, but I think he is capable of getting movement with the new ball like he did in the Test against Pakistan, and if he consistently bowls like that then he will get wickets just like he did in that game:-

He will on occasion get blasted by the opposition but I think he is worth the risk as top order wickets are precious and vital to win Tests. Also Vernon Philander has shown that pace isn't everything, control and consistency come into it too (P.S. I'm not comparing Nazmul to Philander!).

Taskin is the new hope and I pray he makes it as he looks special, I would get him into the national squad now even if he is just to be used as a net bowler as this will help him integrate into the team.

I would also keep persisting with Shafiul as I feel he could be taught to bowl with the new ball, and also look at someone like Allaudin Babu as he could be a possible all-rounder.
haven't seen sajidul bowl lately but i know he use to move the ball both ways at decent pace and he's been bowling well this season so i think he's someone to look at as well.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:59 AM
MLC World Series I

Good post, Holden!
Old February 21, 2013, 02:49 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden

Totally agree on the assessment regarding Nazmul. He moves it both ways and could take up the role Sayed Rasel used to play for us with the new ball.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:29 AM
Cricket Legend

^ Where is Syed Rasel these days?
Old February 21, 2013, 05:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Stop bowling length deliveries in t20 nd death overs in general..
Old February 21, 2013, 06:26 AM
Cricket Legend

I'm with Raz on this one. Rubel has been terribly unlucky, he is far better a bowler than his average would indicate. Although he has to start performing and fast.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
Cricket Guru

I agree with Holden about the fact that Nazmul should be given chances. It's not all about pace, he can get seam movement and then you throw in the fact that he's accurate and he can give opposition trouble. That SL game was an example of that. Look at how Junaid Khan and Bhuvneshwar Kumar did in the India/Pak series. Not the paciest of bowlers but the way they got the ball to move off the pitch, that was more than enough to get them wickets. So Nazmul should be getting more chances although I have doubts that selectors will pick him.