facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 30, 2006, 09:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Very well done. I see engagement ceremony didn't have any ill effect on him yet

Old November 30, 2006, 10:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Na na. This was only to impress his hobu-shoshur bari!!!

Great job Nafees. And congrats on your 1000 runs...what an achievement
I hope he continues to do so and achieve his 196 more to get the 1000 in a year.
Old November 30, 2006, 10:13 AM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir
Na na. This was only to impress his hobu-shoshur bari!!!
Kabir bhai. are you suggesting to postpone the marriage indefinitely to get more innings like this ??
Old November 30, 2006, 10:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi
Do you mean, this kid is going to marry?
Old November 30, 2006, 10:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Now people will start saying hey change him he scores only against zimbo's
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 30, 2006, 10:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

cricinfo said he got bradmaniss like average now from last 5 match 98.++
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old November 30, 2006, 10:59 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahriar Nafees

Great..
Its not about who you play!..its about how you perfom in the certain day.
And Nafees is performing at his best!
Old November 30, 2006, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Well done....absolutely amazing!.....Cant believe he is doing the same thing to international teams what he used to do to the 'Big Bhaiyas' when we were in the 6th grade!....I take a lot of pride in being one of his cricket buddies when we were young..Welldone Abir!
Old November 30, 2006, 12:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Well done....absolutely amazing!.....Cant believe he is doing the same thing to international teams what he used to do to the 'Big Bhaiyas' when we were in the 6th grade!....I take a lot of pride in being one of his cricket buddies when we were young..Welldone Abir!
Would you mind telling us more about SN? On his personalities/attitudes, notable stories when he was growing up.........
I think forum members won't mind an inside scoop on the current BD batting Supernova
Old November 30, 2006, 01:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifa
Would you mind telling us more about SN? On his personalities/attitudes, notable stories when he was growing up.........
I think forum members won't mind an inside scoop on the current BD batting Supernova

Well...I wish I knew He was going to be this big a star...Probably wud have taken zillions of photos with him and wud have written down his every single move!...lolz...Anyways..It was back in 96-97 when we were in the 6th or 7th grade...Abir(SN's nickname) was a student of Shaheen School and I was going to Adamjee Cantt...Both our dads were in the Army...We had this playground in Kochukhet Cantonment Area where we used to play every afternoon...Apart from that...SN also used to go to this Cricket Coaching place....dont quite remember which one...He really did have exceptional talent...All we kids used to fear the 'Big Bhaiyas' who were going to college and their ball speeds wud seem like Waqar Younis to us....But SN used to hit them for sixes with effortless ease...Ofcourse it was Tape-Tennis cricket but at times we wud also play with the real cricket ball which we used to call 'Kather Ball' or 'Duece Ball'....dont really know why we called the ball that...Anywayz...SN used to bowl offspin with a very dodgy action...I remember he always used to get called for throwing...and to be really honest..His action really did seem like he was throwing the ball....However his younger brother who was very very young then and who also used to play with us and go cricket coaching with him used to bowl these amazing googlies....I wonder how he is doing now....Im sure he wud be equally good...SN was known as Jayasuria among us.....Infact my mom never really knew his name!...So when he did score that hundred for U-19 against India....I had to tell my mom...'Mom! remember that Jayasuriya kid?..He made it into the under-19s!..if only u had let me continue cricket....'..lolz...SN really was a hard hitter back in those days...So I was surprised to see him grafting a lot initially...even now....Its amazing how he has matured as a cricketer....As far as the personality goes.....He was just another kid back then...a well liked kid....Thats as much as I can remember...Oh one particular incident....You know how Captains get to decide who gets to bat next?..So there was this crunch match going on and SN was already out...One of our guys got out and the next guy was about to go in when SN got into the act...He insisted that I(shehwar) go into bat next and he convinced that guy who was gonna go into bat...I remember his exact words...He had said..'Ami khub bhalo moto jani sha kemon khele, Trust me!'....So here I was feeling really good about myself with the knowledge that the hottest player in our neighbourhood has so much respect in my abilities...So in I walked!...and guess what....Yup...I was out first ball..!....It was the lowest point of my cricketing life..!..lolz....and the funny part is...I wasnt even that bad a batter....But I felt so bad to let him down like that......Anywayz....enough about me...Thats pretty much it....Then my dad got posted to Comilla Cantonment in 98 and so I went to rock the Ispahani Public School & College with my talents!..lol.....Last time I met SN was probably early last year, right before our U-19 tour to England...I wished him all the luck that he so richly deserved..Thats pretty much it.....Gosh...Those were the days...Welldone Shahriar Nafees...Go make Bangladesh proud..We are right behind you...I hope I didnt bore those of you who read it......Cheers...
Old November 30, 2006, 02:12 PM
Cricket Legend

IS SN already married, cuz i thought he was engaged. todays report on DS and Janakantha( i don trust the newspaper tho) suggest that he is married.
Neways not that i really wanna know. In case he is merried it just proves those people who wrote that his form will dip after marriage that they were wrong.
Old November 30, 2006, 02:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehwar
Well...I wish I knew He was going to be this big a star...Probably wud have taken zillions of photos with him and wud have written down his every single move!...lolz...Anyways..It was back in 96-97 when we were in the 6th or 7th grade...Abir(SN's nickname) was a student of Shaheen School and I was going to Adamjee Cantt...Both our dads were in the Army...We had this playground in Kochukhet Cantonment Area where we used to play every afternoon...Apart from that...SN also used to go to this Cricket Coaching place....dont quite remember which one...He really did have exceptional talent...All we kids used to fear the 'Big Bhaiyas' who were going to college and their ball speeds wud seem like Waqar Younis to us....But SN used to hit them for sixes with effortless ease...Ofcourse it was Tape-Tennis cricket but at times we wud also play with the real cricket ball which we used to call 'Kather Ball' or 'Duece Ball'....dont really know why we called the ball that...Anywayz...SN used to bowl offspin with a very dodgy action...I remember he always used to get called for throwing...and to be really honest..His action really did seem like he was throwing the ball....However his younger brother who was very very young then and who also used to play with us and go cricket coaching with him used to bowl these amazing googlies....I wonder how he is doing now....Im sure he wud be equally good...SN was known as Jayasuria among us.....Infact my mom never really knew his name!...So when he did score that hundred for U-19 against India....I had to tell my mom...'Mom! remember that Jayasuriya kid?..He made it into the under-19s!..if only u had let me continue cricket....'..lolz...SN really was a hard hitter back in those days...So I was surprised to see him grafting a lot initially...even now....Its amazing how he has matured as a cricketer....As far as the personality goes.....He was just another kid back then...a well liked kid....Thats as much as I can remember...Oh one particular incident....You know how Captains get to decide who gets to bat next?..So there was this crunch match going on and SN was already out...One of our guys got out and the next guy was about to go in when SN got into the act...He insisted that I(shehwar) go into bat next and he convinced that guy who was gonna go into bat...I remember his exact words...He had said..'Ami khub bhalo moto jani sha kemon khele, Trust me!'....So here I was feeling really good about myself with the knowledge that the hottest player in our neighbourhood has so much respect in my abilities...So in I walked!...and guess what....Yup...I was out first ball..!....It was the lowest point of my cricketing life..!..lolz....and the funny part is...I wasnt even that bad a batter....But I felt so bad to let him down like that......Anywayz....enough about me...Thats pretty much it....Then my dad got posted to Comilla Cantonment in 98 and so I went to rock the Ispahani Public School & College with my talents!..lol.....Last time I met SN was probably early last year, right before our U-19 tour to England...I wished him all the luck that he so richly deserved..Thats pretty much it.....Gosh...Those were the days...Welldone Shahriar Nafees...Go make Bangladesh proud..We are right behind you...I hope I didnt bore those of you who read it......Cheers...
Thanks a lot friend!
Old November 30, 2006, 02:14 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Excellent innings. Minimal risk, sensible, elegant! If he carries on like this Zimbabwe might as well pack up and go home. And then there is Aftab
Old November 30, 2006, 03:23 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Kabir bhai. are you suggesting to postpone the marriage indefinitely to get more innings like this ??
Miraz bhai...Brilliant!!! I never thought about it at such depth. But your proposal sounds like the magic solution to all our current cricket related problems
Old November 30, 2006, 04:12 PM
First Class Cricketer

thanks a lot Shehwar, for sharing all these with us......I felt a bit sorry though when I read you all were at 6th/7th grade back in 1997...I got out from BUET in '96 ......sigh,sigh.....buira hoia gelam
Old November 30, 2006, 04:14 PM
ODI Cricketer

Shehwar,

Thanks for your good article on SN.
Old November 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

he knows his limitation and he plays accordingly. congratulation nafees
Old November 30, 2006, 04:17 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khalifa
thanks a lot Shehwar, for sharing all these with us......I felt a bit sorry though when I read you all were at 6th/7th grade back in 1997...I got out from BUET in '96 ......sigh,sigh.....buira hoia gelam
Thinking yourself Buira! I was out from Buet when you were in 7th grade.

I feel I'm still young!!!
Old November 30, 2006, 05:13 PM
Cricket Sage

SN is a over-achiever. I hope he continue to surprise us in a positive way.
Old November 30, 2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Only Ashraful & Me

Welldone SN,
Old November 30, 2006, 05:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Bossman, Imran Khan, Viv

Thanks Shehwar. I love stories with personal touches like that. I hope the moderators send this story to the front page. I didn't see it until ATMR pointed it to me. You'll rarely find sports columns with heart like this one.
Old November 30, 2006, 05:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
SN is a over-achiever. I hope he continue to surprise us in a positive way.
Can't there be any Bangladeshi who is neither over nor under? Can't people ever get what they deserve with their skills/intelligence/opportunities/luck?
Old November 30, 2006, 05:37 PM
Test Cricketer

the difference between him and other BD batsmen is that he has the hunger for runs. and definitely a superior mindset. he will stay there and score the runs while the other so-called talents will score quick 30-40s and then get out, even against subpar teams like Zim. congrats to him on the 1000 runs.
Old November 30, 2006, 05:46 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagol-chagol
Can't there be any Bangladeshi who is neither over nor under? Can't people ever get what they deserve with their skills/intelligence/opportunities/luck?
I didn't say SN is lucky. Ofcourse he deserves 100% what accomplished. I would give double kudos to an over-achiever than anybody else, because it tells that he is maximizing his opportunity.

On the other hand if someone continues to over-achieve then it tells that we may have under estimated his potential... its a constant adjustment process between a player and his fans as the player progress one way or another.
Old November 30, 2006, 06:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I didn't say SN is lucky. Ofcourse he deserves 100% what accomplished. I would give double kudos to an over-achiever than anybody else, because it tells that he is maximizing his opportunity.

On the other hand if someone continues to over-achieve then it tells that we may have under estimated his potential... its a constant adjustment process between a player and his fans as the player progress one way or another.
So you mean that "you underestimated him". He didn't necessarily overachieve.