facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 19, 2004, 08:11 AM

Rajin was selected as VC when his performance was good.
And he did that job when there was no question about his performance.
Now those who talking about considering a new captain temporarily ( including me )
is because of his poor performance. A team should be lead by someone who can lead others by his performance too.
Besides captaincy may make his performance even bad because of big responsibility pressure and inexperience.
Why should we go with protocol when we know it could bad for him as well as the team.
I believe captaincy means something more, not just a protocol or system.
I don't see anything wrong if somebody think about a new captain for the time being.

Old August 19, 2004, 08:28 AM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Why should we go with protocol when we know it could bad for him as well as the team.
We don't know that, we just anticipate. Added responsibility might even make him perform better, if I may add.

However, that's not the questions. We should not make whole sale changes frequently. His performane has not been that good lately but he has been trying very hard unlike few lazy boys we know, to work out his weaknesses. He also showed improvements in the Asia Cup to defy the detractors.

Besides, who else has been consistent? Mahmud? Rafiq? Give me a break. Ash? Leave him alone. Gullu? Please keep an eye on him.

Yes, Pilot has been very good in terms of on field performance but his leadership qualities were very bad. Forgot the world cup already?
Old August 19, 2004, 09:46 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara

Advocating for Sujon as captain till the ICC champions trophy will be the worst that can happen to BD team. It is not because Sujon is a bad captain at all(on the contrary, I still believe that it was Sujon's captaincy that had rebuilt our team after a severe downfall in last world cup cricket), but appointing him for that post will only cement his position in the team which is totally uncalled for. In fact, seeing Sujon in the first 11 is the last thing I wish for our team.

Rajin is the VC and he will be the automatic choice as captain if Bashar steps out cause of injury.
Old August 19, 2004, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Quote:
We should not make whole sale changes frequently. His performane has not been that good lately but he has been trying very hard unlike few lazy boys we know, to work out his weaknesses.

Yes, Pilot has been very good in terms of on field performance but his leadership qualities were very bad. Forgot the world cup already?
That's a good point for Rajin.
Added responsibility might even make him perform better?
well it doesn't seemed to be happen in our team, but who knows.....
Who else? I was thinking about Pilot. since he is doing good recently,
might have change his captaincy quality too.
Old August 19, 2004, 10:59 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

FW being a huge fan of Sujon is an amazing disclosure. :embaressed:
Old August 19, 2004, 11:08 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
FW being a huge fan of Sujon is an amazing disclosure. :embaressed:
Once I bowled along with Sujon. He was looking cute in his cute little red shorts.:P
Old August 19, 2004, 11:09 AM
First BC Member

Quote:
Our team has been playing professionally but as fans, we are still amateurs, at least in some of our thinking....
I apologize if I had done any inconveniences by posting this new topic. Chinaman's first post has forced me to think clearly than I was originally thinking. Thanks.
Old August 19, 2004, 11:11 AM
Cricket Legend

nihi was that some kind of co-ed recreational league team? wish I had found those back in the day....
Old August 19, 2004, 11:12 AM
First BC Member

Once I bowled along with Sujon. He was looking cute in his cute little red shorts

Not funny, I also used to HATE Sujon terribly at one stage - during 2000, Bulbul in the chat session made me to see things differently - like the 'MATCH-WINNER' issue that I was talking about in the other thread.
Old August 19, 2004, 11:14 AM
First BC Member

Bulbul in the chat session made me to see things differently

Now that I'm thinking more clearly, look at what a huge INFLUENCE (IMPACT) that Aminul Islam Bulbul had got over me - I still haven't forgotten his words.
Old August 19, 2004, 11:25 AM
ODI Cricketer

well, it was a practice session for mohamedans. Went with my same-age-buddy-uncle, who was getting a shot in the mohamedans. I found the red shorts funky enough to remember after a long 13/14 years. And neither did I see any lady around there so as to have an impression from their side. Were it a co-ed type something, fwullah might rather have something to be delighted about.
Old August 19, 2004, 11:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

No offence Fwullah, ju.......st kidding, and no pun intended
Old August 19, 2004, 11:32 AM
First BC Member

None taken.
Old August 19, 2004, 11:40 AM
Retired BC Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by fwullah
I apologize if I had done any inconveniences by posting this new topic.
No need to apologize. You did nothing wrong or inconvenience. We all are entitled to our opinions, good or bad. I just wanted to say that there's nothing happened to call for a change in the established protocol. Players get injured many a times and they also pass through bad patches a lot. That is part of the package. We need to do a lot of soul searching before making big changes like captaincy.

Please don't feel embarrassed by being a sujon fan. He has done tremendous jobs for us in many ways. His usefulness is not as wide as it used to be and that is quite natural. He is not in his peak now, that should not bar anyone to stop supporting him.

Now here's what is new:

Bashar Fit For Trophy
Old August 19, 2004, 01:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by chinaman
Even if he were to miss, we have a VC in Rajin who was given the post after carefully considering many things by the selectors...
If I remember correctly... the reson for selecting Rajin as VC was more related to some future thoughts that he might come up as a very good future captain and so to let him hav the experience..
Otherwise... he is, in my opinion, not yet impressive enough to lead the team in major tournament.

And... the problem is already resolved though... as i can see that Bashar is fit for the tournament.
Old August 19, 2004, 02:30 PM
Retired BC Admin

Default Goodnews for Fahmida

Bashar unlikely for Champs Trophy

Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar looks doubtful for next month's ICC Champions Trophy as his injury seemed more serious than it was anticipated.

The think tanks have already discussed a possible replacement for the 31-year-old batsman, who suffered an injury on his right thumb during the team's net session a couple of days ago.

An X-ray report later confirmed that the top batsman of the country fractured the hyperextension of his right thumb. The report was sent to Australia for expert comment, which is expected to reach here by Tuesday.

But the team management decided not to take any risk for just two games ahead of a hectic home series starting in October.

"We have selected a replacement for Bashar in the event he can not go England. But we will not disclose the name until we get the final report of his condition," said coach Dav Whatmore during the team's morning training session at the Banga-bandhu National Stadium.

Although Whatmore and chief selectors Faruque Ahmed remained tightlipped it is greatly speculated the lucky man could be Alok Kapali, who was dropped from the side after the Asia Cup due to a prolonged run draught.

Physical trainer Justin Cordy fears that Bashar might need a surgery.

"This kind of injuries are more familiar with footie players in Australia. There are just two matches in England and I think we should not risk Bashar playing without proper treatment'" said Cordy.

Bashar however was present during the team's training session with his right arm resting in a sling.

Meanwhile, if Bashar fails to make it to England the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) will have to announce a stand-in captain and the fight will definitely be between his predecessor Khaled Mahmud and vice-captain Rajin Saleh.

Daily Star >>
Old August 19, 2004, 02:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

ghonta :duh:
Old August 19, 2004, 02:39 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
1. Bashar unlikely for Champs Trophy (Daily Star)
2. Bashar Fit For Trophy (CricketWorld)
3. Bashar to recover soon (New Age)
Now I am confused. Which one is true?
Old August 19, 2004, 03:07 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

This is the conclusion I reach from these reports:

The injury is more serious that initially thought (the earlier more positive assessment was the reason behind the news that he will play). The general consensus is that Bashar shouldn't be risked for potentially only two serious matches when we have such a hectic winter season coming up. After all Bashar is central to our test campaigns. So we will most probably have a replacemet touring England instead. However the replacement's name is being kept for the time being until it is confirmed that Bashar injury is indeed serious. Daily Star says the current rumours point to Alok Kapali being the lucky replacement.

Hope that helps.

Edited on, August 19, 2004, 8:08 PM GMT, by pompous.
Old August 19, 2004, 03:23 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

prothom alo reported today that if habibba's injury does not let him play, he could be replaced by alok.

what can i say "kapali" is actually a kApali (was born with a good kapal=luck).

in my opinior, alok needs this vacation now than anything else. continuously keeping him in the team like this will destroy him forever (if its not already been done).
Old August 19, 2004, 03:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Why don't they take one more of the U-19 batsmen from the touring team? I think Alok will contnue to struggle and may be better off not coming back until the Winter season at least.
Old August 19, 2004, 04:05 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

1.No way Rajin should given the captancy.. He didn't showed any performance that will point to that.
2. Captain or no captain Shujon will perform well as its ENGLAND where he always performs well( hope he retires after this tour). He is most exp player and also the only player with knowledge how to bowl in england which every one know how difficult it is... Remeber 1999 WC where every one was bowling 30+ extras....
3. Sujon has the exp as a player and captain and also a spirited person and in my op he is the best man to be Temp CAMP
4. Rafiq and pailot both r not fit to be a captain as both r hot headed and don't know how to behave with people.....

Edited on, August 19, 2004, 9:06 PM GMT, by akabir77.
Old August 19, 2004, 04:11 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
"This kind of injuries are more familiar with footie players in Australia. ...'" said Cordy.
Can anyone explain to me, what is that (in bold)?

Thanks in advance.
Old August 19, 2004, 04:48 PM
Banned

"Football" players.
Old August 19, 2004, 07:05 PM
Club Cricketer

footie players is a reference to Australian Football League players. This is commonly known as the AFL and the game is simply referred to as "footie". Aussie rules football is probably the most popular game down there, ahead of rugby and cricket.