facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 9, 2012, 09:13 AM

Yes, truth hurts. But there is half of truth that hurts, other half is wrong since any other associates might not do better than BD, especially away games. Ireland? Scotland? Keneya? UAE? I pretty much doubt it! Just see their recent result, We should take a hard look at this point too.

Old March 9, 2012, 09:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

does anyone remember that after his comments on Bangladesh during England series in june 2010....tamim scored his 158 at Lords....who knows something might happen at Asia Cup
Old March 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Navjot singh sidhu and boycott....
Old March 9, 2012, 10:10 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Who cares about what Boycott has to say. He says this kind of outrageous comments to gain attention. And its working. Greg Chappel is another one in making.
Old March 9, 2012, 11:54 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any smart *** spot fixers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinathq
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...io/556521.html

Boycott said, Bangladesh need all the cricket they can get to be on the TV. Their association wants to get TV money. Their cricket is till poor, quite poor actually. More ICC money is spent on them than any of the new countries out there who wants to make it in big league. Bangladesh have not delivered. Playing at home, they have performed reasonably ok, but playing away they are still very poor and the money that has been pored in is wasted.

This is a very ill statement by Boycott but nothing better I expected of him. True, money has been invested on Bangladesh Cricket. But its not like ICC did not make any money from Bangladesh at all. Compared to countries like West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland, we have a huge fan base and our domestic system is much stronger than theirs. These are old talks..... Bangladesh needs to perform very well in the Asia Cup and on the Pakistan tour and later against Sri lanka. We need to shut these critics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeesh
This guy has never been our fan. He's more interested in India-where he earns his "Living". We start filling his pocket, you ll see he ll write nice stuff about us.
2nd August 2011 India in England
Daily Telegraph heading Boycott at the Test: England win at Edgbaston certain against 'Bangladesh in disguise'
Somhow he figures out its more lolly (Ind-Ban sentiment) as columnist while India's performance comparing against Bangladesh. In England-India series?!!!

Q: "Would you say Srilanka are the best bet for Asia cup? And what about India's chances?"
Boycot Starts with his "Does anybody really care about Asia cup?" logic. Geoff Boycott on players' need of rest, was making his pionts why 3 other teams not caring much about Asia cup. Then out of no where relating actual question was asked, he starts his bash talk about his low thought about BC!!!! Whats his problem with Bangladesh?
Old March 9, 2012, 12:57 PM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: Too many to name.

I find Boycott's comments are generally rather Anglo-centric. To him the cricketing world revolves around England, Australia, South Africa and maybe the West Indies. He's a typical Yorkshireman and has a rather provincial point of view. They are also given to rather blunt speech, something true also of we Aussies. Sometimes he talks rubbish and sometimes he's quite perceptive, but one thing that is not in doubt is that he's a very abrasive personality. He was not very popular with his team mates in the English side when he was a test player and was seen as being very selfish.

Nevertheless you can't dismiss everything he's says just because he's not a very likeable person. With regard to BD he probably feels you guys were rushed into the test scene by India before you were really ready to provide India with a reliable voting partner in the ICC so that country could be more influential within that body. If we're being honest that's probably true. India didn't sponsor full membership for BD for any altruistic reasons but for her own interests. Where I differ from guys like Boycott is my conviction that now it has occurred there's no point moaning about it (Yorkshiremen are renowned for being great complainers) but rather to make the best of the situation. As I have stated before, BD will succeed because failure is not an option, it just may take a little while.

The most offensive of his recent remarks in my opinion is, "Does anybody really care about the Asia cup?" When I read that I just shook my head! It should be obvious to anyone with a brain that Asia cares about the Asia Cup. It's a chance for Asia to run it's own competition without any interference from the old-world cricketing powers, England and Australia. That in itself is enough reason for it to matter to India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

Finally, some of you guys need to grow thicker skins. There will always be someone who says something you don't like. Indian fans (and many commentators-ie:Shastri, Gavaskar) are forever calling us bad sports and cheats. Conversely we think they're a bunch of self-righteous princesses. In reality it has a lot to do with different cultural standards. Such is life! Get used to it BD fans, there will always be someone who, for whatever reason, says something that you don't like.
Old March 9, 2012, 01:19 PM
2018 BPL Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggus
I find Boycott's comments are generally rather Anglo-centric. To him the cricketing world revolves around England, Australia, South Africa and maybe the West Indies. He's a typical Yorkshireman and has a rather provincial point of view. They are also given to rather blunt speech, something true also of we Aussies. Sometimes he talks rubbish and sometimes he's quite perceptive, but one thing that is not in doubt is that he's a very abrasive personality. He was not very popular with his team mates in the English side when he was a test player and was seen as being very selfish.

Nevertheless you can't dismiss everything he's says just because he's not a very likeable person. With regard to BD he probably feels you guys were rushed into the test scene by India before you were really ready to provide India with a reliable voting partner in the ICC so that country could be more influential within that body. If we're being honest that's probably true. India didn't sponsor full membership for BD for any altruistic reasons but for her own interests. Where I differ from guys like Boycott is my conviction that now it has occurred there's no point moaning about it (Yorkshiremen are renowned for being great complainers) but rather to make the best of the situation. As I have stated before, BD will succeed because failure is not an option, it just may take a little while.

The most offensive of his recent remarks in my opinion is, "Does anybody really care about the Asia cup?" When I read that I just shook my head! It should be obvious to anyone with a brain that Asia cares about the Asia Cup. It's a chance for Asia to run it's own competition without any interference from the old-world cricketing powers, England and Australia. That in itself is enough reason for it to matter to India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Pakistan.

Finally, some of you guys need to grow thicker skins. There will always be someone who says something you don't like. Indian fans (and many commentators-ie:Shastri, Gavaskar) are forever calling us bad sports and cheats. Conversely we think they're a bunch of self-righteous princesses. In reality it has a lot to do with different cultural standards. Such is life! Get used to it BD fans, there will always be someone who, for whatever reason, says something that you don't like.
Thank you, great post..i always enjoy reading your posts, Any criticism about BD cricket team from anybody is going to be 90% true since we really havent performed at all in the Int scene, But saying that in a civil manner is sign of a true champion. A straight cut shewag response no matter how true they are still IMHO are of poor taste

And we have been in the Int scene for 11 years now..but in reality first 4-5 years were spent just to fit in here. with so many cricket being played we were losing day in and day out. And when you lose like this and try out player after player you dont build a team and there were BD was suffering..its since 2006 we were able to fit a stable team of some players and the result shows..yes we still lose and win here and there but we have started to become competitive specially at home. i would say just give us 5 more years at least 2016..that IMO will be 10 years of actual team cricket for Bangladesh and then look where Bangladesh are..i just know Bangladesh will become a good team in Bangladesh. to perform oversea many things need to change and with time that will happen, India still struggles in overseas. Atm i would take a home performing BD team and then Think about overseas..and since 06 some players have emerged from Bangladesh like Shakib,Tamim,Mushfik and by 2016 i know some more will emerge then look out for Bangladesh
Old March 9, 2012, 01:20 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Nicely put Biggus. I agree. Its better to turn the other way sometimes and let the old man be an old man.
Old March 9, 2012, 01:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

BTW, what did you think about GC 's recent comment about India?
Old March 9, 2012, 02:00 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isnaad
Boycott who?
It is the batsman whom his batting partner ran out on captain's instruction. (This might have happened more than once, I know of only one incident.) The reason? They needed to put some quick runs on the board to go for a win. Boycott, like always, was only interested in his average.
Old March 9, 2012, 02:04 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Boycott spoke some truth and spewed some garbage. But, ICC almost certainly made more money from BD than they might have invested. I don't know what he eats, but পাগলে কিনা বলে...
Old March 9, 2012, 02:18 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Big thumbs up for our dear Biggus bro!!!!
Old March 9, 2012, 02:54 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
BTW, what did you think about GC 's recent comment about India?
Greg's another rather awkward personality, and I knew his comments would cause great indignation in India, especially given the bad feelings that many Indians have regarding his time as coach there. Many comments posted on the cricinfo site suggest that this was a ploy to sell more copies of his new book, but I'm not so sure about that.

I think he was probably speaking the truth, as he sees it, and there lies the key. It all has to do with different cultural standards. Indians and Australians are very different people. Compared with us they have more difficulty challenging established ideas than we do. That is not to say we do not respect our elders here, but if they talk utter rubbish we are allowed to say so. We have a far more robust culture with regard to the exchange of ideas and I think that's what Chappell was getting at when he spoke about leadership.

Of course when these articles are published everybody gets upset and I wonder if they really end up reading the article carefully and understanding the context properly. The media has a great part in inflaming passions and in this regard the Indian media are atrocious, always sensationalising issues and often wilfully misquoting people. In that respect they are as bad as the very worst English tabloid newspapers.

In the original article Chappell was fullsome in his praise of Dhoni as a leader. I wonder if many readers read enough of the article to see that, or if they were already posting angry comments in response to a sensational headline.

Personally I feel that on the subcontinent and the rest of Asia the fear of loss of face is a real barrier to the free exchange of ideas. Here you're expected to be able to take a bit of constructive criticism. Take Sachin Tendulkar, for example. The Indians call him a 'God' and any implied criticism of him is a mortal sin. In Australia Ricky Ponting is merely the first among equals and is not above criticism or scrutiny-he is one of us, not someone high above who lives in some special sphere.

Chappell does,however, have the habit of not understanding how his comments will be interpreted by others, and the comment about "the British having taught them well not to stick their heads up over the trench in case they got shot" was unwise, especially given the Indian antipathy towards him. What he was of course saying was that the British had oppressed them and made it difficult for them to be open and honest with their opinions, and that perhaps this was still a factor today. If that comment was against anybody it was against the British. In his own awkward way it was an expression of sympathy for the Indians.

All things taken into account he probably should have kept his mouth shut. He should have known how his comments would be interpreted badly and that no good would come of it, no matter how well they might have been intended. He's taken such hysterical criticism in the past from the Indian media that perhaps he doesn't care any more. I don't really know for sure but that's how I think it is.
Old March 9, 2012, 03:39 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^ Very well put. There really was no need for Chappell to raise the colonialism point. It's a low blow - and also a tenuous claim given that its been 65 years since India's independence!
Old March 9, 2012, 03:44 PM
Cricket Savant

বিজ্ঞুস কিন্তু আমার ফেভরিট মেম্বার হয়ে যাছে। আপনারা কিন্তু তাল মিলাতে পারছেন না...
Old March 9, 2012, 04:32 PM
Test Cricketer

I guess I need more white paint to thicken my skin
Old March 9, 2012, 07:54 PM
Banned

Please Boycott Boycott. He does not know cricket is a passion in BD unlike Ireland. If cricket needs to globalize we need to first target the people who actually want to watch and player cricket. Ireland has been overrated many times. They have been crap in some of the games. I do not see why ICC after so much investment should leave BD and help Ireland (which has a slightly weaker team than BD). Scotland is confused as to whether they are British or Independent Let them first decide that before we decide their future.

Having said that
1. England and Australia would love to see BD out of ICC + tests
2. India does not want to play against BD since they are weak (They will come running if BD is strong since they have 150 million population..so more money )
3. Pakistan, Zib - play against BD since they have no one else to play with.
4. BD players do not seem to care much about BD fans. Atleast Indian cricketers after some bad losses will try to play hard and win games. BD cricketers keep losing and show no will to fight.
5. Ireland is pretty good in ODI and have shown a will to fight which is lacking in BD.
6. If BD plays like this for another 10 years no nation will want to play against you. BCCI and Asian bloc will keep you in ICC only for your vote.
7. It took India many many years to be competitive. But this cannot be used as excuse by BD fans since the days have changed and money matters a lot. Unless you are competitive there is no money to be made from you.

So bottom line is BD needs to show some improvement. Atleast lose honorably or more fools are going to start commenting.
Old March 9, 2012, 07:55 PM
Club Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricheart
I guess I need more white paint to thicken my skin
The West Indies players don't seem to need it.
Old March 9, 2012, 09:56 PM
Administrator

I still think we have gotten our panties in a wad about what Boycott says. But that's Boycott; he has said stuff even worse about his own Poms. I am not sure why so many of us are so insecure? To every Geoff Boycott and Scyld Berry, we will find a Robin Marlar or an Andrew Miller. Lets save our umbrage for when we have a better team.
Old March 10, 2012, 03:10 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

The oversensitivity and indignant overreaction may earn metaphysical brownie points only in the Book of Delusions, but in reality, it only highlights the need to grow a pair.

As long as we have guys like Loitta, Tutla, Lipu, Siddons, Raquib Sr, Faruk, Ata, HaBa, Akram, Tiger Mama and their chamchas influencing things, and guys like Siddons and Law at the helm, we better get used to the truth.

Substandard Waqads and Hudmahs like KaEdge, ROK, Nayeem, Mofees, Nazimuddin, Mehrab and Shubho won't win you games. Talented headcases like Motin, Aftab, Kapali and Imroze won't either because the lethal combination of panoramic retardation and the inability to learn and apply always gets in the way.

Winning isn't everything when it comes to characters like Boycott, it's the ONLY thing that'll S them the F up.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old March 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

^^^^ well said!
Old March 10, 2012, 12:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
The oversensitivity and indignant overreaction may earn metaphysical brownie points only in the Book of Delusions, but in reality, it only highlights the need to grow a pair.

As long as we have guys like Loitta, Tutla, Lipu, Siddons, Raquib Sr, Faruk, Ata, HaBa, Akram, Tiger Mama and their chamchas influencing things, and guys like Siddons and Law at the helm, we better get used to the truth.

Substandard Waqads and Hudmahs like KaEdge, ROK, Nayeem, Mofees, Nazimuddin, Mehrab and Shubho won't win you games. Talented headcases like Motin, Aftab, Kapali and Imroze won't either because the lethal combination of panoramic retardation and the inability to learn and apply always gets in the way.

Winning isn't everything when it comes to characters like Boycott, it's the ONLY thing that'll S them the F up.
too many people in denial and can't accept the truth. If our team was close to being decent then nobody would make such comments.
Old March 20, 2012, 02:26 PM
Test Cricketer

hehe, BC slaps Boycott comment

BD in final now
Old March 20, 2012, 02:29 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: every quality cricketer

Boycott always get trolled.

Thinks that asia cup is of now value when nobody give a damn about SA VS NZ match
Old March 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

Boycott,
Say Whaaaaaaaat?!

i think The ASHES (Test cricket series) is most boring 'cause it's only involve 2 nations. England and Australia.
The ASIA cup (ODI series) is more exciting 'cause it's played by 4 nations. Bangladesh, World cup 11 winner India, World cup 11 runners-up Sri Lanka and World cup 11 semi-finalist Pakistan.

Last edited by idrinkh2O; May 5, 2012 at 05:30 PM..