facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old October 19, 2004, 06:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Default Hannan should stay, but not open....

I would not drop Hannan even after this. In terms of potential, he still commands a place. But not as an opener. He is clearly vulnerable against the moving ball. I feel with our very limited batting resources, the team would be better served by Hannan coming in at, say, no.5 or even no.6.

If a suitable partner to Omar cannot be found, why not adopt the age-old tactic of sending someone to take the "shine off". In this team, Rana could be the person. An opposite tactic would be to open with Kapali.

However, if Rajin has such good technique as I keep reading then why can't he open. I somehow think that coming in slightly later protects him against the moving ball. I read somewhere that he prefers to bat later. I am not surprised.

Edited on, October 19, 2004, 11:13 PM GMT, by Imtiaz.

Old October 19, 2004, 06:44 PM
Cricket Sage

We can try Hannan at #6 if we can afford to waste a slot for him in the future. I doubt it will work though.

However I am strongly against Rana opening for BD at this stage of his career. By doing so, we will sacrifice Rana's career at this early stage. In my opinion, he is not ready (technically or mentally) for this added pressure of opening the innings. Opening One-day is one thing, opening test is another.

In that regard I will also be hesitant to move Rajin to opener slot. Currently he is vital for middle order stability. I see him future/prospective #3, but not as opener.

So the question remains, who can open the innings with Javed? Unless Javed is also "Bhua":P.
In that case we have to find two openers.

Edited on, October 19, 2004, 11:49 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old October 19, 2004, 07:04 PM
BanglaCricket Multimedia

Nafees can be groomed to be an opener. all our 1st 5 batsmen have always more or less "opened"... with a more or less consistent top order batting collapse...
Old October 19, 2004, 09:17 PM
Cricket Legend

Don't know why you guys want to take openers and put them at 6, take middle order bats and make them openers, etc - isn't that the failed strategy of the selectors. Let openers be openers, no one else is going to do much better. They have to focus on their mistakes and how to rectify it. Nafees should be made to open because that is what he does, not dropped down the order. #6 seems to be a safe place - hide everyone who is having trouble in there! Leave the order alone please, that is not the problem with the team.

the one other thing to add is ash had some success opening recently - but that is when there were no other openers available due to injury, etc. Sure he could go back to it but he is needed at 5. I am sure the current openers can do better, and I hope they look at switching Javed and Hannan as a minor but potentially beneficial change.

Edited on, October 20, 2004, 2:19 AM GMT, by rafiq.
Old October 19, 2004, 10:07 PM
Club Cricketer

I am not disappointed with this performance when i think 5 for 3 but 165/6 is a disappointing performance again.Anyway, this is not that bad for us to play the whole day with still 4 wickets to go..
As far as Hannan is concerned, I would to like to give him another chance. He is totally out of confidence.Whatmore should play a big role getting his confidence back. After reading prothom-alo's report, he tried to play al the balls that means he has pedro collin's thing in his mind.He is talented enough to overcome this thing.Example:Atapattu, 5 ducks in his first 6 innings.Same for Nafees.
Donot want to talk about ash's innings but he should rotate strike.Cricket is all about taking singles." I was stuck in 67 for some time.That's why I was impatience in that over"--ash...totally agree with optimist about minahazul abedin thing.
Old October 21, 2004, 06:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Well that was a miserable 3rd day by the looks of things. Every NZ tailender and their mother scored runs. 402 is the highest NZ innings against BD, but that isn't saying much as they hardly had to break a sweat in the 2 earlier innings defeats. It is truly dissapointing that we couldn't dismiss the tail for less.

I thought Pilot would use the other spinners but he didn't, wonder if that could have added some variation. That may be Pilot's fault for not using all his weapons, but it's certainly not his fault that Tapash/Tareq cannot take wickets on home turf. Pace bowling is as big a problem as opening batsmen as far as I am concerned. When taking the new ball is a liabilty, what is a captain to do? I wonder if Mushfiq for Tareq is the right change for the next test given injuries - don't think Kabir/Monir will do anything different.

Too bad about Hannan. The change to #3 should have done him good but it didn't. Tomorrow looks bleak. We all know on this wicket our batsman should easily be able to score 300 if they applied themselves and stick around. But we also know they won't. It's a pity they can't negotiate the home pitch - comes from not having any experience playing domestic cricket if you ask me. How bizarre.

I'd be happy if they somehow take the game to the 5th day.
Old October 21, 2004, 06:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Giggs, Gower, and Wasim!

I do not see much cricket after tea.
Old October 21, 2004, 01:42 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by rafiq

I thought Pilot would use the other spinners but he didn't, wonder if that could have added some variation. That may be Pilot's fault for not using all his weapons, but it's certainly not his fault that Tapash/Tareq cannot take wickets on home turf. Pace bowling is as big a problem as opening batsmen as far as I am concerned. When taking the new ball is a liabilty, what is a captain to do? I wonder if Mushfiq for Tareq is the right change for the next test given injuries - don't think Kabir/Monir will do anything different.

I'd be happy if they somehow take the game to the 5th day.
Spot on! Exactly what I've been thinking lately. I think Pilot should have used Kapali bit more, may be he could be slotted in for two 4-over bowling, specially when NZ W/K cut loose. Tareq is the second best available pace bowler now after Tapash, but lets just face it. We all knew he wont be able to cut it in that pitch anyway ( in my team Mushfique was in as stock bowler). Mushfique should be in the 2nd test team if Chittagong pitch reflects BNS one. Kabir/Monir are just making up numbers, Shahadat with his non-existant experience to play in the highest level is a better option.

Anyway, as yet another defeat within 4 days is looming , I just hope they avoid innings defeat. Good luck to Nafees.

PS: I just wanted to highlight Rajin's ( may be this is the case for MOSt of the players in the team) incapability to focus on bigger picture when he's on his 40s. Ash yesterday was quoted as saying, "Rajin stopped talking as soon as he reached 40 runs mark". I simply don't understand why he was bothered too much about his personal runs ( 40 that was!) at that point when this team ( read his country) was in deep trouble? What difference his 40 odd runs would make in the outcome of the match? Both Ash and Rajin should have stayed in the crease long, instead they opted to gift their wickets away ...thinking they've done an excellent job?...Duh!

Well no more words for Hannan. He must get back to drawing boards now. Aftab should replace him if Bashar isnt fit enough to play 2nd test.