facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 12, 2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imteaz
Shame on us.
Please exclude me from your list!

Old September 12, 2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
Yet I would say he is a better person than Jamali for the post. He is well-known for his passion for cricket. His contribution for school cricket helped us a lot.
Monder valo jei...sei hok ...

Last edited by kalpurush; September 12, 2009 at 06:59 PM..
Old September 13, 2009, 01:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Considering it would be a political appointment any way...
i think saber hossain would have been a better choice...
However i dont see that happening
Old September 13, 2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash
Considering it would be a political appointment any way...
i think saber hossain would have been a better choice...
However i dont see that happening
Ditto. Wondering if he is interested or not...?!
Old September 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn

Another DS report on this matter
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=105710

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old September 13, 2009, 02:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafi_mc69
Another DS report on this matter
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=105710

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Quote:
It was learnt that Nazmul Hasan Papon, son of President Zillur Rahman, was initially considered to replace Lt General Jamali, who has been running the show since July 2007. But a polite refusal from Nazmul Hasan, who is also the vice-chairman of Abahani's cricket committee, left Mustafa Kamal, popularly known as Lotus Kamal, as a front-runner for the hot seat.
Thank you Papon bhai for not repeating the history of koko. Though Mr. Papon has a cricketing administration background and also respectable professional.
Old September 13, 2009, 05:33 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafizur Rahman

No chance for Saber Hossain Chowdhury this time
Old September 13, 2009, 05:34 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntu
Thank you Papon bhai for not repeating the history of koko. Though Mr. Papon has a cricketing administration background and also respectable professional.
Hah! Comparing Nazmul Ahsan Papon to a criminal like Koko. What an insult!!

And BTW Koko was not the President, he was running the show from behind.
Old September 14, 2009, 05:21 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Lau and Kodu; whoever comes at this stage is all the same.
Old September 14, 2009, 09:56 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
I talked with quite a few people who knows this guy. He is indeed a sport fan from his early childhood and a very capable manager ( and MBA and CEO of Beximco Pharmaceutical) and more or less clean track record so far.
Too bad for BCB that he refused to accept.

However I can understand why refused. Its would be a no win situation for him. BCB is full of rokto chosha charpokas, incapable managers, and pampered overprized superstars and too much money involved (sometime its doing more harm than good). Its hard for one man to change all those culture all by himself. Its too risky to take a task like this so early in his political career. Reward is minimum but risk is high.

He is for bigger things. At some point I wouldn't be surprised if, at some point, he is selected as (State) Minister and eventually full Minister. In future you will hear more about him as he will slowly play more prominent role in BAL. He is just taking his time as he is 1st time MP and his dad is the President.

Now about Lotus Kamal. I don't know much about him, but whatever I know, I have bad feeling that it may not be a good choice. I hope I am wrong though.
Old September 15, 2009, 05:16 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox
Hah! Comparing Nazmul Ahsan Papon to a criminal like Koko. What an insult!!

And BTW Koko was not the President, he was running the show from behind.
I know what was koko's position and I was not comparing Mr. Papon is the son of present President of Bangladesh so his quality won't be judged by public rather they will go by whose son he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
I talked with quite a few people who knows this guy. He is indeed a sport fan from his early childhood and a very capable manager ( and MBA and CEO of Beximco Pharmaceutical) and more or less clean track record so far.
Too bad for BCB that he refused to accept.

However I can understand why refused. Its would be a no win situation for him. BCB is full of rokto chosha charpokas, incapable managers, and pampered overprized superstars and too much money involved (sometime its doing more harm than good). Its hard for one man to change all those culture all by himself. Its too risky to take a task like this so early in his political career. Reward is minimum but risk is high.

He is for bigger things. At some point I wouldn't be surprised if, at some point, he is selected as (State) Minister and eventually full Minister. In future you will hear more about him as he will slowly play more prominent role in BAL. He is just taking his time as he is 1st time MP and his dad is the President.

Now about Lotus Kamal. I don't know much about him, but whatever I know, I have bad feeling that it may not be a good choice. I hope I am wrong though.
Good analysis Fazal bhai. I know Mr. Papon for more than 2 decades. His in laws house is next to our house. He has a excellent track record as an administrator and he is a cricket lover also. He has came up to his present position only by his capability. It's true it would have been a blessing for us all who love BD cricket and want the body gets clean and strong if he take the charge of BCB. But you are right I think bigger things are waiting for him and BCB boss's post is a hot one. Huge public sentiment is attached with this one.

About Lotus Kamal I'm also feeling the same.
Old September 16, 2009, 04:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:

Good analysis Fazal bhai. I know Mr. Papon for more than 2 decades. His in laws house is next to our house. He has a excellent track record as an administrator and he is a cricket lover also. He has came up to his present position only by his capability. It's true it would have been a blessing for us all who love BD cricket and want the body gets clean and strong if he take the charge of BCB. But you are right I think bigger things are waiting for him and BCB boss's post is a hot one. Huge public sentiment is attached with this one.

About Lotus Kamal I'm also feeling the same.
Mr. Papon's in-laws are our in-laws Mr. Hashem Ali? Their house is opposite the mosjid. Of course they aren't living there at the moment as it is being constructed into an apartment building. I met Mr. Papon several times when my fuppi was getting married to his brother-in-law who is now my fupa , a very pleasant and knowleadgeable person. He is also a junior schoolmate of my father. He would have been a great appointment but I agree with Fazal he is set for bigger things. Succesful businessmen like Mustafa Kamal or GG Dastagir who are also passionate cricket fans would not be bad choices either.
Old September 23, 2009, 02:08 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

AHM Lotus Kamal has been officially nominated as the new BCB President. (Source: TV News)
Old September 23, 2009, 03:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razi
AHM Lotus Kamal has been officially nominated as the new BCB President. (Source: TV News)
Yes I've also seen that. So the new boss is Lotus Kamal.
Old September 23, 2009, 04:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Another source for the confirmation

Quote:
Mostafa Kamal appointed BCB president

Cricinfo staff

September 23, 2009

AHM Mostafa Kamal has been appointed president of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB), replacing Sina Ibn Jamali, a board statement said on Wednesday. Kamal, who is a member of parliament and a senior figure in the ruling Awami League, assumed office on Wednesday.

Jamali, was appointed by an army-backed interim government in August 2007, which was replaced by the Awami League government last December. While the Bangladesh government appoints the BCB president, the other 24 directors are elected by board members.
Cricinfo
Old September 23, 2009, 04:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell, aftab ahmed

Quote:
What Army has anything to do with game of cricket? Why "in Pakistan and in Bangladesh" we have to bring an Army men to run the cricket board?

We need to bring someone with strong management skill and proven love for the game of cricket (previous track record).

I don't know about Gazi or Kamal. But if they meet my criteria, I welcome this move with open arms.
I know nothing about Mustafa kamal or Jamali. But army men might know quite a bit about cricket, they are more likley to have played the game and understand the importance of strong physical and mental discipline than politicians.

Perhaps the army men have a better understanding of honour and valour than our politicians who seem to be interested in nothing more than glamour, money and fame...
Old September 23, 2009, 01:55 PM

Congrats and good luck to our new BCB president.
Old September 23, 2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Changed the title of the thread.

From Daily Star: http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig...php?nid=106667

Kamal BCB's new boss

Ahm Mustafa KamalSports Reporter
The government on Wednesday appointed AHM Mustafa Kamal as the president of the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) putting an end to speculations where he was a front-runner for the hot seat.
Keeping in mind the 2011 World Cup, in which Bangladesh is a co-host, the present government had been searching for a suitable candidate for the sensitive post where Kamal, popularly known as Lotus Kamal, won the two-way battle against Gazi Golam Dastagir.
The 62-year-old Awami League lawmaker from Comilla will replace Lt Gen Sina Ibn Jamali, who has been running the show since July 29, 2007.
Kamal will take over the presidency of most lucrative federation today. He will be the second Awami League lawmaker after Saber Hossain Chowdhury whose dynamic leadership from 1996 to 2001 saw Bangladesh win the Test status.
Although Kamal has not previously served the board in any capacity, his love for the game and the money he spent to make domestic cricket popular made him the popular choice for the demanding job.
Kamal, who is the cricket committee chairman of popular club Abahani, a position he has successfully held since 1990, however said that he was ready to take the challenge.
"First of all I'm thankful to Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina for giving me the opportunity to lead a very important sports federation, especially when we are going to host a World Cup. I am aware about the huge responsibility and I am ready to take the challenge," said an excited Kamal in his instant reaction yesterday.
Bangladesh will stage the opening ceremony of the 2011 World Cup, an event of this magnitude the country has never staged before. Besides, Bangladesh will also play host to eight matches including two quarterfinals of cricket's quadrennial showpiece event.
"I think professionalism is the most important thing to successfully run any organisation and I must ensure it at BCB during my tenure. If we can ensure professionalism in our all activities then we would be able to achieve everything," said a confident new BCB president, who is also a leading apparel businessman. He also said that it would not be a problem for him to run the show properly despite the fact that he holds some important responsibilities. Presently he is the chairman of the parliamentary standing committee on the Ministry of Finance and also the secretary, finance and planning of the Bangladesh Awami League
"You know, a manager gets the job done. I will try my best to ensure teamwork to achieve the goal. I can ensure you that I will give my best effort to enhance the reputation of Bangladesh cricket and I am hopeful that I will get all out support from elected board directors," he hoped.
He said that the board has to have the long-term and short-term strategy to improve the game in the country.
"I have some plans but let me start my job first," he added.
BCB's director and media committee chairman Jalal Yunus said that they were happy with the appointment.
"We got a good leader ahead of the World Cup because he [AHM Mustafa Kamal] has a rich background. We also want to thank the outgoing president for successfully running the show and working with a positive frame of mind," said Yunus, who is also vice-president of Abahani's cricket committee.
Old September 23, 2009, 02:32 PM
Cricket Savant

This deserves a new banner Dr. Z. :-r

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old September 23, 2009, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
This deserves a new banner Dr. Z. :-r
:P

It did get an FP bulletin and an FP pix.
Old September 23, 2009, 02:35 PM
Cricket Savant

He doesn't look like a Lotus to me, more like a Bougainvillea....

Old September 23, 2009, 02:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abu2abu
I know nothing about Mustafa kamal or Jamali. But army men might know quite a bit about cricket, they are more likley to have played the game and understand the importance of strong physical and mental discipline than politicians.

Perhaps the army men have a better understanding of honour and valour than our politicians who seem to be interested in nothing more than glamour, money and fame...
To run Cricket board you need business and management skills running a business and you need background in that sports, as you need both to run BCB as its a sports as well as a business. Trust me, cricket is a business now a days and to survive you need marketing and management skills to run it efficiently in the open market.

And typically a Army man is none of the above (that I mentioned). Army rule will NOT work in cricket world, you need successful managers from civilian world who have background in cricket. Just see what is happening in Pakistan, where historically there is almost always a Army man as the President of PCB. With so many taleneted players comming from nowwhere and see what PCB is doing... screwing up pakistan cricket.

Army's "Mota Buddhi" will not work with cricket, nor will Army's chain of command. Army rule will NOT work in cricket world. You want strong physical and mental discipline? You don't need Army to lead your board. Just look at other successful countries.

Finally when the country is bankrupt in morality, its not only politicians who are morally corrupt, its applies other aspects of the country... like businessman, judges, police, army, govenment executives, all. And Army in 1-11 proved that they are NOT immune to corruption, when they get he opportunity, they are equally corrupt (while in the Army as well as after they retire from Army).
Old September 23, 2009, 02:47 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
To run Cricket board you need business and management skills running a business and you need background in that sports, as you need both to run BCB as its a sports as well as a business. Trust me, cricket is a business now a days and to survive you need marketing and management skills to run it efficiently in the open market.

And typically a Army man is none of the above (that I mentioned). Army rule will NOT work in cricket world, you need successful managers from civilian world who have background in cricket. Just see what is happening in Pakistan, where historically there is almost always a Army man as the President of PCB. With so many taleneted players comming from nowwhere and see what PCB is doing... screwing up pakistan cricket.

Army's "Mota Buddhi" will not work with cricket, nor will Army's chain of command. Army rule will NOT work in cricket world. You want strong physical and mental discipline? You don't need Army to lead your board. Just look at other successful countries.

Finally when the country is bankrupt in morality, its not only politicians who are morally corrupt, its applies other aspects of the country... like businessman, judges, police, army, govenment executives, all. And Army in 1-11 proved that they are NOT immune to corruption, when they get he opportunity, they are equally corrupt (while in the Army as well as after they retire from Army).
What about Patriots? As Wikipedia points out:

Quote:
In his book "How Football Explains America", Sal Paolantonio noted the many parallels between the Patriots philosophy and military training taught at West Point. This is likely the result of Bill Parcell's having coached at Army for four years and Bill Belichick's close ties with the Naval Academy.
Generally speaking "militaristic approach" can often shed new personae, zeal and wit to the game. But, you are right it may not work for our country since we are not so strong or sharp as far as military strategy and willpower is concerned, but in general I think abu vai is right.

I personally wouldn't want my team to be run by some greedy, money-hungry, business tycoon who wouldn't instill the value of valor and honor in the pride of representing/playing for a national team.

Old September 23, 2009, 02:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeshanM
What about Patriots? As Wikipedia points out:
Generally speaking "militaristic approach" can often shed new personae, zeal and wit to the game. But, you are right it may not work for our country since we are not so strong or sharp as far as military strategy and willpower is concerned, but in general I think abu vai is right.
Three points
1. Its one thing to use "militaristic approach" by civilian admin to get maximum result. Its another thing to run cricket board by Amry man in Army rule. That doesn't work in cricket. And Pakistan is a perfect example of that.

2. American football is not cricket. American football by itself is a war and its all about brutal force and gameplan. A more comparable sports is baseball may be.

3. The commisioner (comparable to President of the board) of NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL are all non Army man. Most of the General Managers are also non Army man.

Last edited by Fazal; September 23, 2009 at 03:09 PM..
Old September 23, 2009, 04:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Kamal's interview from Prothom-Alo - http://www.prothom-alo.com/newsite1/...9-24/news/7325

I like the goals he set to popularize cricket at domestic levels. I hope he won't turn out to be all talk.