facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 7, 2008, 08:17 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: tamim iqbal n sakib

QUOTE]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think so.
A good basic education is offcourse necessary. That makes a player capable of doing many things right.

Things like swings/reversing/spinning/shots under these situations... etc gets much more easy if he has a basic understanding. Mukhaostho kore aar kotodur jaoa jaye. Now they have to follow the coach on 'Mukhasto' without undestanding the reasons.

Offcourse there are some people who have the intelligence to understand things in their way, even without having any education. These type of people are not too many. They are naturally thinking on every issue since their childhood, so they develop it naturally.

We don't have such thinking cricketers. No place for a brain.[/QUOTE]

i completely agree wid u BANFAN bhaiya....
BCb should not discourage players frm reciving education......!!!...
Quote:
What is poralekha? how much is a good poralekha for our cricketers? Most of them are not even hsc/ssc passed which is the basic of all.
cricket is just not a game, it's an invention. invention of your skill. If you don't use your brain, then you won't be able to cultivate your brain.

At least the captain should be educated to a level where he can communicate well. He can be a role model for the rest of the players.

yesterday, while watching the price giving ceremony of sl vs india, i noticed Mendis brought Jawardanee as a translator as his english is not the best.

Can Ash lead his boys like this?
i have seen dat part!.....
i was also impressed de way sangakara speaked up in another ceremony....how badly i wished our player could do atleast half of it!!!.....
when u are dere u represent ur country....
n speaking de way our players does....suerly sets a bad impression....(missing basher at diz case)......
our players should complete their education atleast till 12th standard!....

Old July 7, 2008, 08:37 AM
Cricket Legend

'Education' is not your ability to speak English. Just because Ashraful can't speak English we are assuming he is a dumba** he might be a smart character but we don't know, rubbish article.
Old July 7, 2008, 08:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

I believe a strong and a proven cricket culture is the most essential factor in nurturing and churning out talented and world class cricketers. Before anyone jump off their seat in a frenzy- England of recent years is an exception to the rule!

We in BD don't have that strong cricket culture and the tradition of FC cricket and infrastructure as yet. Therefore, I reckon, at least a reasonable grasp of English language is paramount for our cricketers to understand and study all the nuances of modern-day-cricket.

A good education will always be a significant advantage in any walks of life.
Old July 7, 2008, 08:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

He does have some valid points. Our players are simply not capable of learning from their mistakes. Our players makes the same mistake over and over, and looks totally unmotivated and overmatched most of the times. Ofcourse, someone can point at Rafique but he is rather an exception. If he wasn't, our teams would have three, four or maybe more players like him. But we don't. Ofcourse, the player has to be motivated himself but education can surely help. I feel like atleast basic education if not more will help them absorb the information better.

Ivy leagues don't produce superstar athletes because most of the students going there don't have the physical tools or the motivation to be one. But if you had to choose between someone who goes to Ivy league and someone who was dropped out of high school with similar physical abilities, who would you choose?

I've had the privilege to meet Babu bhai and he is one of the smartest cricketer I have ever seen. People like him can surely make a difference in our cricket.
Old July 7, 2008, 09:19 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Pakistan is actually a good example how lack of good education can hamper your team. The country has such an abundance of talented cricketers but the national team is still dysfunctional !

You can also look at the example of Sri Lanka whose cricketers shows good degrees professionalism that, I believe, because of their good educations.
Okay, now here's what the problem is. Our team has two problems:

1. Fresh blood, with rattling head
2. Rattling head, with mismanagement

Pakistan's problem is only with #2, not #1. The bigger issue is #1.

However, when you mention the Sri Lanka example, it is something to take note of. They never had the #1 problem. And the only reason they don't have the #2 problem is because of their superior literacy rate...which I believe is (or was at one point) the best in the world.

I always believed in one thing. And that is, to be a good athlete, you have to know the mechanics of the game. And your body has to support you to help you execute it the way you want to play. The reason teams have coaches is so that the players get an expert opinion about what they're doing wrong in their "thinking". The techniques that we all talk about are mostly thinking.

How does a player learn how to swing a ball? How does he know which side of the ball to shine? How does he catch a ball? And how does he dive for fielding a ball? Of course there's physics related to all these...but do you think players have the ability to do the math in the field for that?
Old July 7, 2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

WOW. So education, or forced consumtion of rubbish in an academic environment is the key to our success then ? Who knew.

My only concern about 'education' is having these foreign coaches with what must be some tough accent (Australian) for our players to dicipher, and then put them into practice. It'll be great if Ash and co can speak English and can solve math puzzles in their head as they try to build an innings. .

I'll simply be happy if BCB has folks in staff who can ensure that there is NO gap in communication between JS and the players. How much of his 'knowledge' are they really able to pick up ? Mahela translated for Mendis after the MOM and MOS titiles, why can't another player or even Rabeed Imam or Athar Ali translate for our MOMs ? That is secondary to our players being able to understand their coach and follow his instructions. Just bring in Saurav Ganguli and call it a day.

P.S. I am assuming that JS has pretty good education. How come he is not coming up with some ideas of his own. Too busy enjoying the 'benefits'?
Old July 7, 2008, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
On a lighter note, who remembers our member mba from three years ago?
My initial reaction to this thread was three letters, but then I had to refrain out of fear of happy digger uppers.
Old July 7, 2008, 11:02 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: T.I, Shakib and Rasel

why are so many people against education in this thread? no one seems to value it any more. Many think the article is rubbish. Is there something I don't know about?
Old July 7, 2008, 11:38 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaner
why are so many people against education in this thread? no one seems to value it any more. Many think the article is rubbish. Is there something I don't know about?
Nobody can help you unless you read the comments properly.

Nobody is against education. But a few are arguing that education is not what will teach the boys how to play.

I guess that's the only, and most important, thing that you've missed.

Btw...why do I think that you're the author of the article?
Old July 7, 2008, 11:59 AM
Cricket Savant

long long time ago yeah....it was all skills....but nowadays just look at the breadth of the knowledge of commentators that ranges to different fields which can translate to the currently active players also...you DO need breadth of knowledge to promote creativity in the brain, to think fast, to find other options...

so yeah...i partially agree with the article but lust for knowledge is what needs to developed, cultured and nursed in players..instead of brute forcing them and shoving pointless tomes of boolean algebra(in the sense it would little matter to them) down their throat...

meh....

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 7, 2008, 12:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Btw...why do I think that you're the author of the article?
Maybe because the author is from New York also. But knowing him a little bit, he wouldn't even bother to reply back in this thread. He is a class act.

Quote:
Nobody is against education. But a few are arguing that education is not what will teach the boys how to play.
Education may help them absorb the information better. Again for whatever reason, most of our players have a very low self-esteem. Perhaps education will make them smarter and more confident. Maybe I am wrong but I feel like most of our players don't have urgency to improve their games and get happy too easily with a score here or there. Ex: Aftab. Ofcourse, education doesn't go out there and play cricket but it can definitely help.
Old July 7, 2008, 03:02 PM
Cricket Legend

This is not a case where our players want to learn from their mistakes ,but its a situation where our players dont want to learn from their mistakes, if you dont wanna win you surely wont but if you wanna lose you will most definitely lose ,therefore i do not think that education is a problem its their mentality and attitude.
Old July 7, 2008, 05:50 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

eshen bhai, a good dig and indeed a thought provoking article!
it's a tough one, i don't know....
well, let's see...
a simple comparison between two of the world's all-time best all-rounder/captains(according to my book and based on my little cricket knowledge)
- kapil dev and imran khan -
while kapil came from a poor farming family in hariana with limited opportunity and exposure to academia, he was successful in his game and leadership through his ability to think and plan critically and creatively and with courage, thus winning the world cup for india in 1987! (i must remind you all that in the same tournament in the group match against a killer ruthless zimbabwe bowling when all of india's top batsmen were sent to the dressing room it was kapil who scored 175* and single handedly saved his team and won the match. he did so by constantly protecting madan lal as a non-striker! when there's nobody else left but madan lal to company him at the pitch, kapil made sure he himself faced all the balls! he even took forced singles from the last balls of several overs even though they could've run for two or even three from those strikes, just so that he can face the next over and his tail-ender partner is safe! in my mind this is totally out of this world kind of cricketing performance!
now the great legend imran khan who came from a very well off family and recieved his education from oxford lead his nation and played his game with the combination of thoughtfulness, carisma and of course great intelligence. i am positive there are many instances where imran saved the day and his team with sharp, creative thinking, i just for some reason remember the kapil dev's event very vividly.

so here you go, i don't know, i guess i have to say that i believe you have to be born smart(intelligent) and you have to have that inner-drive to learn and succeed in anything! and definitely to play cricket for a test playing country and at this level!

a lot of our readers expressed their good insights and it's a good discussion!
Old July 8, 2008, 09:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

i dont think education is everything in life.. for people who want to persue careers in engineering etc its different thing.. but for these cricketers.. education is not everything.. what they neeed is cricket education.. they need to know cricket and master its skills.. and a persons education may not help his cricketing career at all.. education may help them communicate better.. but like someone here already said.. knowing how to speak english is not necessarily education.. its just a part of it..because if english were everything.. you wouldn't find europeans, americans, australians etc who are illeterate.. what matters is the will to learn and improve.. if a person has that mentality.. he can do anything.. and for these guys.. they just need to know how to speak well in english.. and need the required amount of education for tht.. but there is a certain level of education that i feel everyone should complete.. say till 12th grade in the least..
Old July 8, 2008, 09:55 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

well i think most of you are losing the point here.

He is talking about the structure. He is talking about if we had a structure like that then those who doesn't get into the ntl team can still survive. I think that kind of structure in bangladesh can happen only in dream.

Education can't make you a better player if you are not one but it can certainly help to survive either you are a good player or not...
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old July 8, 2008, 10:14 AM
Cricket Legend
ICC WT20 2016 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchamp20
So how come the 'educated' likes of Shahriar Nafees and co. not learning too?
Really very true...education to some extent is very necessary but there are also some obvious exaples like Navjot Sing Sidhu who is really a very top educated person but was unable to have success in cricket field...in order to gain success in any thing you need to know that particular thing very well and for cricket players need the cricketing education which should be looked carefully from the grass root level...!!!
Old July 8, 2008, 11:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
well i think most of you are losing the point here.

He is talking about the structure. He is talking about if we had a structure like that then those who doesn't get into the ntl team can still survive. I think that kind of structure in bangladesh can happen only in dream.

Education can't make you a better player if you are not one but it can certainly help to survive either you are a good player or not...
I agree... nowhere did he say that education will destroy your cricket career. He is only saying that most of the cricket greats had some sort of education. They were not as illeterate as ours... and thats the point,, to raise the bar to represent the Bangladesh national team. Frankly, it is not a pleasing experience to hear our players post match.. how many of you really feel inspired after Ashraful speaks to the media? Obhiashly bhery phew obh you...

Forget cricketers,, what do you call a Bangladeshi who dont have any education? Talent is one side of it,, but to apply your talent one must have the skills for it.. and education enhances that..
Old July 8, 2008, 01:11 PM
Cricket Guru

Cricketers to learn English in AIUB

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=44899

In order to bring fluency to their English language, American International University of Bangladesh (AIUB) are all set to help the national cricket players.

AIUB have come forward after being requested by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and will not take any payments.

"You know better how weak the cricketers are in English and it is important for the players to speak fluently," said Ishtiaque Ahmed, a BCB member.

"We have got a positive response from the AIUB and are now waiting for the BCB approval," he added.

"It is not a new matter for us as we had earlier taught English to the different government officials without any cost," said Lutfar Rahman, public relations director of the AIUB.

Abdul Kader Nazmul, AIUB sports coordinator, said that they would also teach computer literacy to the cricketers.

** I personally don't care how they speak, more important thing is how well they understand English.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Now, I wonder, how much they understand what Siddons is trying to say or do.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:19 PM
Banned

I think everybody is correct - Jamie Siddons is, Yusuf Babu is, Gazi Ashraf is, Sohel NR is...

......just shows that how difficult of a job we have in our hands.

That's why you should target permanently achievable small steps...and not jump over someone's currently progressing work.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Shobai shuta niya to bhaloi tana tani kortese.

1. Education is important, but passing the SSC or HSC will not make Ashraful more consistent, will not make Nafees' bhuri go away, will not make our cricketers BETTER cricketers.

2. A proper education should not be discounted, at least for young cricketers, because they need a fall back option if cricket does not work out. <- This, I think, should have been the focus of discussion.

3. We are talking about cricket, not football (or futbol). You don't have 300-page playbooks in cricket. You don't have to learn a 50-page gameplan three days before the game in cricket. Having a formal education will not help one understand the nuances of cricket any better, forget the fundamentals.

4. There's book smarts, there's street smarts and there's cricketing smarts. To succeed in cricket, you need cricketing smarts a lot more than book smarts.

5. Want to become a better cricketer? Study the game. Study tape. Study the opposition players. Practice, practice, practice. Rafique practiced more than any of the ahammoks like Ashraful or Aftab, although he is twice their age. The results: Rafique was more consistent with his performance than Ashraful or Aftab ever will be.

6. Instead of teaching old gadhas new tricks, instead of sending these gadhas to high school or college to study for HSC or SSC, find ex-cricketers with a decent grasp of the English language to help these gadhas, so whatever JS says does not get lost in translation.

Follow these steps, and it will be a lot more effective than making each and every single cricketer focus on academics when they may or not may have what it takes to excel in academics.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:52 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Nicely put Dhurr.
Old July 10, 2008, 12:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim & Sakib

Education is very important. IF you are trying to find a direct correlation with education and being a better cricketer you will obviously fail to see it because there is none. However education makes a person more mature in terms of thinking and thinking analytically. Education would not guarantee that the players would become stars overnight but it will definitely improve their ability to study the game and fix their problems in cricket because a good percentage of cricket is played in the mind. The more stronger and mature your thinking process the better chance of succeeding. Education would increase the probability of success for our cricketers but like everything else will not guarantee anything.
Old July 10, 2008, 04:13 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhurr
Shobai shuta niya to bhaloi tana tani kortese.

1. Education is important, but passing the SSC or HSC will not make Ashraful more consistent, will not make Nafees' bhuri go away, will not make our cricketers BETTER cricketers.

2. A proper education should not be discounted, at least for young cricketers, because they need a fall back option if cricket does not work out. <- This, I think, should have been the focus of discussion.

3. We are talking about cricket, not football (or futbol). You don't have 300-page playbooks in cricket. You don't have to learn a 50-page gameplan three days before the game in cricket. Having a formal education will not help one understand the nuances of cricket any better, forget the fundamentals.

4. There's book smarts, there's street smarts and there's cricketing smarts. To succeed in cricket, you need cricketing smarts a lot more than book smarts.

5. Want to become a better cricketer? Study the game. Study tape. Study the opposition players. Practice, practice, practice. Rafique practiced more than any of the ahammoks like Ashraful or Aftab, although he is twice their age. The results: Rafique was more consistent with his performance than Ashraful or Aftab ever will be.

6. Instead of teaching old gadhas new tricks, instead of sending these gadhas to high school or college to study for HSC or SSC, find ex-cricketers with a decent grasp of the English language to help these gadhas, so whatever JS says does not get lost in translation.

Follow these steps, and it will be a lot more effective than making each and every single cricketer focus on academics when they may or not may have what it takes to excel in academics.
If you had never cultivated your brain, what makes you think you can learn anything be it cricket or education?

you experiment it. Pick up a 25 years old half educated man and try to teach him something and see, how long he remembers it? he will never be able to modify this thoughts of his own as he has hardly used his brain.
Old July 10, 2008, 04:41 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Deleted. Infact opened a lot of window at the same time and made a worng reply.

Last edited by BD-Shardul; July 10, 2008 at 11:39 AM..