facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old April 7, 2005, 01:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by redstar
Whatmore must be unhappy with the contract. He's just using the India job to unsettle the BCB. He's not ready for the India job. He's only coached 'small' nations (Sri Lanka & B'desh). He needs to coach a middle-sized nations, like a New Zealand, to graduate to the 'Indias' of this world. He eventually wants the Aussie job, when Buchanen retires.
I agree with you in this

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 6:16 PM GMT, by israr.

Old April 7, 2005, 03:20 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I am hoping he extends his contract. If he doesnt i hope he stays on until england tour is done.
Old April 7, 2005, 03:34 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Whatmore won't get the India job, since Dada won't like to work with a too dominative coach.
Old April 7, 2005, 03:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Whatmore must be unhappy with the contract. He's just using the India job to unsettle the BCB. He's not ready for the India job. He's only coached 'small' nations (Sri Lanka & B'desh). He needs to coach a middle-sized nations, like a New Zealand, to graduate to the 'Indias' of this world. He eventually wants the Aussie job, when Buchanen retires.
By what measure are Bangladesh and Sri Lanka small and New Zealand middle-sized? I can't think of any measure by which that would be true! If you are talking from a cricketing point of view, how is New Zealand larger than Sri Lanka? From a population point of view, BD is 30 times larger than New Zealand and from a cricketing enthusiasm and number of fans point of view, BD and SL are about 500 times bigger than rugby-playing New Zealand!

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 8:47 PM GMT, by Sham.
Old April 7, 2005, 04:33 PM
Cricket Legend

From the New Age:

Whatmore interested in India job
McInnes also quitting as high performance manager

MAHBUB ALAM KHAN

Bangladesh Cricket Board is set for a double disaster as national coach Dav Whatmore has confessed that he is interested to take charge of the India national team and high performance manager Richard McInnes informed the BCB that he has got a job in Australia.
Bangladesh coach Whatmore, who became a hero after the historic Test and one-day series win over Zimbabwe, agreed he is eager to handle the high profile Indian team.
‘Yes I am interested to take over the charge of Indian team. However, I have not yet received any official proposal to start negotiation with them,’ said the national coach to New Age.
When asked whether he will take up the Indian job before the Bangladesh tour of England, Whatmore said he did not know anything because it depends on how things go on.
Whatmore also refused to comment on whether it was monetary reason or any conflict with the BCB which influenced him to seek another job in other countries.
Last year Whatmore had said to New Age that his heart only belonged to Bangladesh cricket and he was interested to extent his contract until the next World Cup when rumour spread that Pakistan Cricket Board was interested to hire Whatmore sacking Javed Miandad after Pakistan lost the Test and one-day series to India at home last year.
‘I did not get an official proposal from the PCB then, so you can’t say that I refused them directly.
However, many things have changed and anything can influence me to alter my decision now,’ Whatmore told New Age.
BCB chief executive, Macky Dudhia, did not comment on this issue. He said the BCB is discussing with the national coach about extending his contract.
The coach recently visited India and Sri Lanka where he attended the wedding ceremony of Sri Lankan spinner Muttiah Muralitharan and the news broke out just three days after of his arrival to Bangladesh.
A report filed by BBC Sport also said that the Bangladesh coach is interested to take over as India coach from John Wright.
The report quoted Whatmore as saying, ‘They’d better make up their minds soon – my contract expires on April 30.
‘I’m a professional – of course I’d be interested in talking to the Indians.’
Whatmore guided Sri Lanka to victory in the 1996 World Cup. He took over the Bangladesh job two years ago.
Whatmore also told the BBC that he is not sure if he will sign the deal and admitted the challenge of coaching India ‘would excite me, absolutely’.
‘The BCB and I are in constant touch, we’re not far away over a two-year contract extension but I don’t know if I’ll sign. I’ll have to wait and see.’
The BCB informed its high performance manager and Under-19 coach Richard McInnes accepted a position at the Commonwealth Bank Centre of Excellence in Brisbane. He will begin his new career from June 1 after the Bangladesh Under-19 team’s current tour of Australia.
The BCB chief executive said they are negotiating with two veteran foreign coaches and one of them will replace McInnes.
Old April 7, 2005, 04:39 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by amra_korbo_joy
Since Dav has lost interest in coaching Bangladesh, we should not renew the contarct.
I actually agree with this. I don't think his heart is in Bangladesh anymore. In most cases, coaches lobby to get their contract renewed. In this case, if he stays, it will be because things didn't work out with the Indian board. I don't want our team to be our coach's second choice! That is no good, no matter how good he is as a coach! I'd rather have a dedicated coach, even if he is not as good as Whatmore. Now I am not accusing Whatmore of not being dedicated, I am sure he gave his best to Bangladesh till now, but the whole India issue does suggest that he would probably rather leave BD at this point. Earlier today, I wrote in a different thread that I couldn't think of a good replacement for Whatmore. But if Whatmore is not heart and soul into his job as BD's coach, I think its better that we replace him with someone who will be!

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 9:40 PM GMT, by Sham.
Old April 7, 2005, 04:46 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
Whatmore won't get the India job, since Dada won't like to work with a too dominative coach.
I agree with that. But if some high profile guys like Greg Chappell becomes the coach and Ganguly picks up fights with him, considering Gangu's current form, he may get dropped instead of the coach.
Old April 7, 2005, 04:53 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

i dont understand this. when whatmore took over, bangladesh was in deep poop. he did all the hard work to bring the team to where it is now. if he waits a few more month (say 6 months or something) he will start to get harvest. why would he want to leave now? leaving a job unfinished doesn to match with his known charastaristic. either he had lost interest long time ago and just waited for the contact to come to and end or something else happened to make up his mind. but yeah, i agree with sham (a rare case? ) since his mind is not in the team anymore, we rather let him go and look for a good alternative.

who can be a good choice?
Old April 7, 2005, 04:56 PM
Cricket Sage

I hope Dav stays upto 2007. However if he leaves, there are couple of people I would like BCB to consider as a preliminary candidate:

Greg Chappell
Robin Singh

[I am pretty sure I am missing a bunch of equally qualified candidates in my list.]
Old April 7, 2005, 05:04 PM
Cricket Legend

Robin Singh? God forbid!

Call me racist, but after Amarnath and Mohsin Kamal (don't forget his wingman Ali Zia), I have had it with sub-continental coaches. Rather have someone like Dave Houghton from Zimbabwe!
Old April 7, 2005, 05:17 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

brown skin people has problem with work ethics. i'm not gonna sound recial because i'm brown too and i dont have problem with black coach (WI) or white. the only brown coach i will be willing to take is waseem akram. this guy has proved many times that cricket comes first to him before politics or many other things. not to mention he was a genuis as a player and always a helping hand for anyone who ask for.

but if not waseem akram, go with another australian.
Old April 7, 2005, 05:17 PM
BC Editorial Team

South African coach Ray Jennings will be out of job in a few weeks. He is alright except that he is a little mad
Old April 7, 2005, 05:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
Robin Singh? God forbid!

Call me racist, but after Amarnath and Mohsin Kamal (don't forget his wingman Ali Zia), I have had it with sub-continental coaches. Rather have someone like Dave Houghton from Zimbabwe!
I understand your fear.

However, as far as I know, he did a very good job with Indian u-19 team (grooming some very good players). I had read some very good comments in some articles about him (can't remember where though, Its a while ago).

May be Tintin or someone who follows Indian cricket can give us some feed back.

But again may be I was brainwashed by biased article... or may be we need coach outside from Indian sub-continent to be successful... who knows.
Old April 7, 2005, 05:20 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
brown skin people has problem with work ethics.
Dav is brown skin :P
Old April 7, 2005, 05:25 PM
First Class Cricketer

Dev should not go now. We need him in our current state.
Old April 7, 2005, 05:27 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
brown skin people has problem with work ethics.
Dav is brown skin :P
He does not meant Dev. He means sub-continental ppls.
Old April 7, 2005, 06:17 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by dukha
Bhaiyera kisu money koiren nah ,,,,,,,, India jiboneu Whatmore rey nibo nah , Let him talk who gives a crap ... He is not gonna get the job in India ........ lol .If he goes then we bring "Steve Waugh" not to worry ,ok ...... So , don't talk rubbish .
Steve Waugh's not tested as a coach. BD cannot effort a gamle like this.
Old April 7, 2005, 06:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
Quote:
Originally posted by Sham
Robin Singh? God forbid!

I understand your fear.

However, as far as I know, he did a very good job with Indian u-19 team (grooming some very good players). I had read some very good comments in some articles about him (can't remember where though, Its a while ago).

May be Tintin or someone who follows Indian cricket can give us some feed back.

But again may be I was brainwashed by biased article... or may be we need coach outside from Indian sub-continent to be successful... who knows.
Actually, according to the senior BD players, like Bulbul, Athar and Akram both those two were horrible as coaches. They simply didn't know what they were doing and it is alleged that they were more like political appointees rather than actual coaches. But I doubt if that has anything to do with race or national origin.
Old April 7, 2005, 07:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Graeme Smith

I dont want Dav to go but if he does i hope him the best with his new team.... India......

I say his replacement should be either a experienced coach or someone who has a proven record in grooming young players into great players. Lets hope our new coach... if there is one will be just as successful and maybe even more successful than dav has in his time here.
Old April 7, 2005, 07:43 PM
Test Cricketer

i hope dave stays but yea he is a professional so if he wants to go then he can go. nothing that we can do about it. i hope bcb dont get someone like moshin kamal again.
Old April 7, 2005, 07:46 PM
Test Cricketer

i hope dave's announcing his interest on joining the indian team doesnt effect the teams prepareation for england. i hope it doesnt but it may specially if he leaves then it will be hard for us to find a good coach. we may have to take sanwar imran.
Old April 7, 2005, 07:56 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Quote:
Originally posted by israr
Quote:
I agree with you in this

Edited on, April 7, 2005, 6:16 PM GMT, by israr.
Pure speculation. Let's stick to the facts, shall we?
Old April 7, 2005, 08:27 PM
Cricket Legend

I like Jennings as Tintin suggested. But i am impressed with Rod Marsh,he can lift our fledgling academy BKSP, which is vital as a cornerstone of our future..
Old April 7, 2005, 10:26 PM
Forever Bangy

just wondering..what is the longest amount of time that a coach has stayed with the team for?
Old April 7, 2005, 10:36 PM
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
what is the longest amount of time that a coach has stayed with the team for?
I don't know but will give a try.

Teams started employing coaches only in the fairly recent past. Bobby Simpson was the first coach of Australia and he was in that position for around 10 years (1985/6 to mid 90s). That would be difficult to beat.