facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 14, 2005, 02:28 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Quote:
Originally posted by mwrkhan
tiger-man is definitely not dukha or bangla amar maa. I think we all know who that is now.
who ??
TigerFan?

Old July 14, 2005, 02:30 AM
Test Cricketer

spitfire pls. check your u2u.
Old July 14, 2005, 02:52 AM
Test Cricketer

Default I am not tigerfan......

Quote:
if you got something against me....spill it out....dont take a potshot at me behind my back....

i never agree with your posts....here or in forget cricket but i never attacked you by comparing you with banned/disgraced members....

therefore i expect the same courtesy....

and if you want to aggravate this issue...there is U2U for your convenience, keep it away off from this thread....

Edited on, July 14, 2005, 7:53 AM GMT, by tiger_man.
Old July 14, 2005, 05:09 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by tiger_man
Quote:
if you got something against me....spill it out....dont take a potshot at me behind my back....

i never agree with your posts....here or in forget cricket but i never attacked you by comparing you with banned/disgraced members....

therefore i expect the same courtesy....

and if you want to aggravate this issue...there is U2U for your convenience, keep it away off from this thread....

Edited on, July 14, 2005, 7:53 AM GMT, by tiger_man.
The u2u had nothing whatsoever to do with you.
Old July 14, 2005, 06:38 AM
Cricket Legend

Ha! Months ago I commented about Atahar in some thread that I can't be bothered to dig up right now. He is quite possibly the worst Commentator that I have listened to. I remember getting flamed for calling him an "embarrassment". His performance in the English tour showed little to no sign of improvement. But then, he is our "shobedhon nilmoni". So I guess I can manage to put up with him till he improves.
Old July 14, 2005, 06:58 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
if you got something against me....spill it out....dont take a potshot at me behind my back...
yeah, his u2u had nothing about you.

BTW, I didn't think that you're TigerFan. I just wanted to guess what someone else thinks.
Old July 14, 2005, 08:03 AM
ODI Cricketer

I am quite happy with Athar's commentaries. Yes, he shows some bias (never felt that it was uncalled for), but who doesn't?
Old July 14, 2005, 10:16 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim and Shakib

today or todai..? you should also criticize Lehman if you are going to criticize Ali.

Quote:
this guy's commentry is simply awful...

i was watching the highlights of the game bd vs aus the one in which they won and his commentry is simply annoying...

when aftab hit the six of gillespies ball cause the score to tie....he commented "take that australia"

as a commentator he should be neutral and not express his joy so profoundly, definitely not by attacking the opposing team..
lets face it, he is there as an international commentator, not some khoda box....

whats annoying and more funny is his pronounciation of cricketers name...he calls ricky ponting ..."pointing"....simply annoying in a live telecast in national tv....
Old July 14, 2005, 10:32 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: আশরাফুল

Quote:
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
Give Atahar Ali 5 years!

Nice one! lol
Old July 14, 2005, 12:20 PM
Club Cricketer

SOMETHING IS BETTER THAN NOTHING AT ALL................

Athar Ali khan is a much a better commentator than those english guyz who during the b'desh test match were busy discussing those freakin BORING county matches in England................atleast athar does'nt do that.....

Indian and pakistani commenters r so biased that they appreciate each others teams with plastic praises.......u can clearly make it out........

RAVI SHASTRI : - he (inzi) has smashed that over the ropes.........

the manner in which he appreciated inzi clearly showed that he was more interested in abusing inzi...rather than appreciating.....

keep it up .ATHAR.....i feel u r the only commentator who really talks gud bout b'desh........

PLZ GUYZ SUPPORT BANGLADESHI PRODUCTS
Old July 14, 2005, 09:25 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Quote:
Originally posted by dawah.tabligh
Give Atahar Ali 5 years!

I find it quiet funny. Not chandler like funny but Joey tribianni like funny.
Old July 15, 2005, 01:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Amla

Quote:
Originally posted by James90
Why are you standing up for him through critisism. If he doesn't want it then maybe he should actually do some work and learn the basics of the game and some information on some of the players. It's a shame that he's like only person in Bangladesh with a recognisable name, good reputation and decent english. To be brutally honest I would make a better commentator than him and I'm not kidding.
a 15/16 yr old kid a better commentator...in your dreams mate
Old July 15, 2005, 01:49 AM
Cricket Legend

I strongly disagree with this notion that Atahar Ali is doing a poor job. btw, James, do you know how hard it is for the rest of us to understand Aussie accents? It's cute for a while but very soon you want to ask the person to simply ennunciate their words clearly. There, how does that feel? You can't ridicule people's accents simply because they aren't your own! As for Atahar's cricket knowledge, we should probably give him a bit more credibility than some of the expert opinions posted here. Even if he is getting emotional over what's happening on the field, I have never thought he was embarrassing himself. I used to do commentary on college TV for live soccer matches many years ago,; soccer is obviously much more rapid action than cricket, but regardless, commentary is not as easy as people make it out to be...and Atahar has done a pretty decent allround job so far.
Old July 15, 2005, 02:18 AM
Test Cricketer

i have seen worse commentating than atahar...but thats not my issue...

and about his english.....i got no issue with that....i myself dont run around yapping in an american accent.....

what i am saying is that if you hear atahar ali speak, he is totally unprofessional at times......by that i mean, making silly mistakes that is so obvious...

someone pointed out before he could not distinguish b/w matsikenyari and denesh kaneria....and called him matsikaneria....you wouldnt make such a mistake unless you are some kind of a clown...

again, he is the best we got....
Old July 15, 2005, 02:30 AM
Club Cricketer

Atahar may be biased but so is many other eminent commentators. During the flare up/clash between Simon Jones, Mathew Hayden and Colingwood, David Lloyd instead of admonoshing Simon Jones's overzealous actions said "Get on with it Australia". Now thats a biased comment. David Lloyd could not keep the glee off his voice that finally England were giving some of the treatments back to Australia. So if Atahar says "take that Australia", then theres no harm done. Atahar wears his emotions on his sleeve, and so does Ravi Shastri. So if Atahar fights for our team aganist all the harsh comments, then I say "good on him". Ramij Raza's commentary is one of the least imaginative ones I have heard. He has mastered some good words which he keeps on repeating. At least Atahar is not that predictable. Atahar's english may not be comparable to an american or english accent but his grammer is ok. In western world ppl dont care about ur accent as long as the english is ok. Otherwise Michael Holding would be in contempt. Not everyone is brought up overseas. From that perspective, I would say Atahar is doing a pretty damn good job.
Old July 15, 2005, 03:06 AM

tiger_man...
You are right-Athar Ali is not an excellent commentator, but he is the only one who takes care of the Bangladeshi cricketer in the War of World Cricket. Remember...in the last tour of BD in Pakistan...he was the one who fought for the BD cricketers! Have some murcey on him-please...
Old July 15, 2005, 09:22 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara

Quote:
Originally posted by James90
Why are you standing up for him through critisism. If he doesn't want it then maybe he should actually do some work and learn the basics of the game and some information on some of the players. It's a shame that he's like only person in Bangladesh with a recognisable name, good reputation and decent english. To be brutally honest I would make a better commentator than him and I'm not kidding.
I think that's quite harsh criticism. As player he was one of the bests in BD and it's silly to comment that he has to know the basics of the game.

Cricket Commentary is certainly not an easy task and it needs some time before one gets into perfection. Correct pronunciation is important; but there is no hard and fast rules that one must speak English with the accent of an American or of a British. There are huge differences in accent between Holding and Boycot. But both of them make excellent commetators.

Btw, how is Australian English? recently Stuart Law had to go under a test (for his British Citizenship) to prove he can speak English
Old July 15, 2005, 11:21 PM
Street Cricketer

I never said anything about his accent and i said he speaks good english. I personally can't understand his accent a lot of the time but that's just because of where I live and I never critisised him for that. What isn't acceptable is when he blatently mispronounces peoples names. Maybe it's hard to say "Symonds" with a Bengali accent but I say "Mashrafe" and "Sharkar" like a Bangladeshi because that's how they pronounce their names.

His english is reasonable and that's not what I was critising. He says stupid pointless things like, "If you're not going to hit the ball for four you shouldn't hit it at all" and he doesn't do enough research on the players.
Old July 15, 2005, 11:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

I never said anything about his accent and i said he speaks good english. I personally can't understand his accent a lot of the time but that's just because of where I live and I never critisised him for that. What isn't acceptable is when he blatently mispronounces peoples names. Maybe it's hard to say "Symonds" with a Bengali accent but I say "Mashrafe" and "Sharkar" like a Bangladeshi because that's how they pronounce their names.

His english is reasonable and that's not what I was critising. He says stupid pointless things like, "If you're not going to hit the ball for four you shouldn't hit it at all" and he doesn't do enough research on the players.
Old July 16, 2005, 04:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Baundule

Btw, how is Australian English? recently Stuart Law had to go under a test (for his British Citizenship) to prove he can speak English
that has nothing to do with his accent....

maybe that test or whatever is a routine check they do it on every migrant.....aussie accent is more understandable than those strong english ones.....