facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old February 25, 2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

BRD chiefs are picked from the Army. A large number of them were present at the morning ceremony around 8:15 AM.

Rumor:
Most of the chiefs/officers are feared dead. The chief supposedly slapped someone when the BDR Jawans entered Darbar and tried to present their case. About 150-200 BDR surrounded the Darbar Hall. Looting the BDR armory was one of the first things they did.

Last edited by billah; February 25, 2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old February 25, 2009, 01:29 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

haire manush.........shiklina......dukkhon hoi
Old February 25, 2009, 02:12 PM
Banned

The BDR chief Major General Shakil Ahmed seen here is feared dead or injured(Check around 1:35 of video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64vBG...eature=related
Old February 25, 2009, 02:23 PM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

At least 3 civilians, 2 officers confirmed dead
Dhaka, Feb 25 (bdnews24.com)—At least two senior officers and three civilians were confirmed dead in an armed rebellion by Bangladesh Rifles personnel on Wednesday, police and hospital officials said.

Col Mujibul Huq, who commanded the Dhaka Sector and headed the emergency government's Operation Daal-Bhat, was killed at the early stage of the mutiny.

The body of Lt Col Enayet, commander of 36 Battalion, was found alongside Huq's. Both were dumped in a drain behind the BDR compound, Kamrangirchar police SI Ataur Rahman told bdnews24.com.

The head of the border security force—major general Shakil Ahmed—was widely believed throughout the day to be among the dead.

At least three civilians were confirmed dead and over 25 were wounded as heavy gunfire erupted in and around Bangladesh Rifles Headquarters in the morning.

BDR personnel fired shots out of the compound at civilians on at least two occasions in the morning, witnesses and correspondents said.

A bullet-hit rickshaw puller brought to Dhaka Medical College Hospital died on arrival there. He was identified as Amjad Ali, 52, who received a bullet in the head.

Khondoker Md Tariq Aziz, 20, was shot near Zigatola and died at the DMCH.

Fourteen-year-old Mohammad Hridoy, a street vendor, was the third civilian confirmed dead. He died on way to the DMCH.

Of the injured, 15 lay at DMCH and 10 at Bangladesh Medical College Hospital in Dhanmondi, hospital officials said.

SI Ataur said the bodies of both colonels were sent to the CMH.

Reports of casualties also came from within the BDR complex, as calls were received by family members on the outside.

School teacher Rajab Ali told bdnews24.com that his brother Md Abul Kashem, a deputy assistant director of BDR, was killed by rifle fire inside the complex.

"My brother's wife told me his body was lying where he fell in front of Darbar Hall," said Ali.

"She said more civilian bodies could be seen lying inside the battle-wrecked BDR complex," he said.

The first shots had reportedly been fired at the Hall Wednesday morning.

Ali quoted Kashem's wife, whom he would not name, as saying her husband had been present at the Rifles Week programme at Darbar Hall in the morning.

"He was shot as he was escaping the gunfire which erupted in the hall, his wife told me", said Ali.

"My brother was living in a flat near Durbar Hall," said Ali.

"My sister-in-law called me by mobile around 2.30pm," he said.

The BDR rebels agreed to surrender their arms after a two-hour meeting with the prime minister at her official residence Jamuna, state minister for local government Jahangir Kabir Nanak told reporters at a briefing in the evening.

bdnews24.com/lh/sit/gma/rhn/khk/rah/2007hours
Old February 25, 2009, 02:27 PM
Cricket Legend

Phone lines are jammed. After trying for an hour I managed to connect a friend of mine who lives in Dhanmondi. He is planning to leave Dhaka and go to his village next morning with his wife and daughter. The situation is truly horrific.

We must make sure the BDR puts down the arms before discussing why all this happened. I hope no one else lose their lives.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:32 PM
Cricket Legend

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesig....php?nid=77499
Quote:
Dying for Nothing
Amjad Ali, 50, an asthma patient, was going to BDR hospital to buy medicine and inhaler in the morning and he knew nothing about the revolt of BDR jawans.

It was a danger Ali did not envisage and a stray bullet hit his head at about 10:00am. Amid firing of bullets by rebel BDR soldiers, he collapsed on the road near Jhigatala intersection.

Nearby people witnessed the incident but they could not come forward immediately to the aid of the elderly man because of heavy gunfire. He was later rushed to Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) where doctors declared him dead.

"He did not know anything and was just going to buy medicine," said his wife Rashida Begum while she was crying at the DMCH.

Stray bullets killed three civilians, including a student, and injured over 25 others of the surrounding areas. Two senior officers of BDR were also killed during the gunfire.

Tarek Aziz, 23, a third year BBA student of People's University, was bullet hit in front of the lake at Jhigatala.

Aziz was returning to his residence from a teacher's house when the tragic incident took place. He was taken to Ibne Sina Hospital where he succumbed to his injuries at about 3:00pm.

Vegetable vendor Hridoy Mia, 14, along with his father was selling vegetables in the city's Jhigatala area when a bullet hit Hridoy in his head. His father took him to a nearby hospital and later shifted to the DMCH where doctors declared him dead.

Some 19 people hit by bullets or shell splinter were taking treatment at DMCH. Lance Nayek Babul Khan was the only BDR man who was receiving treatment at the hospital.

The other injured persons who took treatment at DMCH included Akhter Hossain, 14, Zahir, Monir Hossain, Al-Amin, Kamrunnahar, a student of Dhaka University, Sayed Ahmed Rana, a student of Dhaka College, Pinton Hasan, Humayun Kabir Pintu, 38, Selim, 40, and Masud.

While talking to The Daily Star Lance Nayek Babul Khan said a bullet hit in his leg while he was entering the BDR Headquarter through gate number 5. He said he was not aware of the mutiny.

Jamaluddin, 65, who was found groaning in pain at DMCH, urged doctors to start his treatment. A group of BDR men came to his house at New Paltan adjacent to the BDR gate No. 3 at about 10:30am, he said, adding that they hurt him as he opposed the BDR move to take position on the roof of his house.

An under trial criminal named Pinton Hasan who was also brought to the DMCH following a bullet hit said he was sitting and gossiping with others under a tree outside his cell 'Monihar'.

Some four injured passers-by were found admitted to Bangladesh Medical College at Dhanmondi. They are Shakil Ahmed, 24, Rubel, 14, Masum, 25, and Sumon, 25.

The hospital authorities said they also treated four patients who were injured slightly and sent them to their houses.

Authorities of Japan Bangladesh Friendship Hospital (JBFH) said they received two patients. They sent one to DMCH as his condition was critical and released another after giving him first aid.

"A stray bullet hit a patient unit of the hospital. Oxygen supply of the hospital was also disrupted because of the firing," said Dr Junayed Shafik of the hospital.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:39 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

The SSC exams have reportedly been postponed due to this event.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Now BDR HQ in Barisal is in a big turmoil.

BDR jawans have looted the armory and sealed all the gates and guarding the key points. Ntv.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
The SSC exams have reportedly been postponed due to this event.
The whole country is in a standstill.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:50 PM
Cricket Legend

BDR's case is very strong but a stupid move really. Their demands will be met but the Army will sooner or later hunt all of them down and kill them.
Old February 25, 2009, 02:51 PM

Favorite Player: Innocent Bird

inocent people is the victim............really sad..........
Old February 25, 2009, 02:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Saudi Capital

Total disgrace these all are, what the hell are those soldiers thinking of? Getting their own rights done by taking others' rights of living away? Pathetic!
Old February 25, 2009, 03:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purbasha T
Total disgrace these all are, what the hell are those soldiers thinking of? Getting their own rights done by taking others' rights of living away? Pathetic!
It happens because still we think violence is the only way to get attention to our problems. For examples, most of the fights and violences in the University campus.

They get educated on how to violet laws and later they practice it in our social mosaic.
Old February 25, 2009, 03:49 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Mash, mushy

My dad was a DIG of police and I can tell you that this idea of deputation of army officers into different branches is a bad idea. there is always resentments between the army people and the original cadre officers.
Old February 25, 2009, 04:26 PM
ODI Cricketer

Not justifying the 'jawan's' actions but I have seen the high handedness of superior officers when dealing with the lower rung in the Indian army.I think we are still stuck in the 'British Raj mentality ' where the jawans are only fit to clean the shoes of officers.

There have been sporadic cases in the Indian army where a disgruntled sepoy hits back at his superior officer.

Happens all the time in all sectors..but the danger is magnified in this sector due access to fire arms.

Collective response is unprecidented though ..the BD Govt should look at the root cause rather than treating the symptom
Old February 25, 2009, 04:41 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FagunerAgun
Now BDR HQ in Barisal is in a big turmoil.

BDR jawans have looted the armory and sealed all the gates and guarding the key points. Ntv.
oh no! More chaos! Are u sure?
Old February 25, 2009, 04:47 PM
Cricket Legend

http://bdnews24.com/beta/#top
MUTINEERS BEGIN TO SURRENDER
Old February 25, 2009, 04:57 PM
ODI Cricketer

Yup, if you're treated like dog shi* this is going to happen. The bbc interviewer was asking the interviewee (some retired army general) if there might be some outside infiltration like terrorism in this case. I personally doubt that. I think that's why the western media has taken an interest in this, due to potential ties to terrorism. But the only terrorism i see here is the jawans getting treated like shi* with low salaries and watching army officers taking advantage of them. Nevertheless I denouce thier actions but I agree, the focus here should be to solve the root of the problem.

Similarly when garment workers few years back put some factories on fire everyone blamed "outside forces" i.e. a neighbouring country. But the real force was the garment companies not paying their workers on time and on a regular basis and rwith espectable salaries, which caused a huge base of frustration and blew up in the way of setting fire and damage to the companies in return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat
Not justifying the 'jawan's' actions but I have seen the high handedness of superior officers when dealing with the lower rung in the Indian army.I think we are still stuck in the 'British Raj mentality ' where the jawans are only fit to clean the shoes of officers.

There have been sporadic cases in the Indian army where a disgruntled sepoy hits back at his superior officer.

Happens all the time in all sectors..but the danger is magnified in this sector due access to fire arms.

Collective response is unprecidented though ..the BD Govt should look at the root cause rather than treating the symptom
Old February 25, 2009, 05:02 PM
ODI Cricketer

Yup, but unfortunately the legal framework in BD is not efficient enough to put their case forward. So they probably thought this was the only way to get attention. But I am still not supporting this. I wish they just went on strike (peacefully) or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdchamp20
BDR's case is very strong but a stupid move really. Their demands will be met but the Army will sooner or later hunt all of them down and kill them.
Old February 25, 2009, 05:06 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

This is just disgraceful. Doesn't matter what the situation is you should never do something like this. These guys are here to protect civillians, not shoot their heads off!!

I really hope these guys get the proper punishment and I hope whatever the problem is, gets resolved soon!!

My condolences goes to the dead and injured people and their family!!
Old February 25, 2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

This is an institution where discipline supposed to be paramount. Government need to punish these culprits in court marshal and set an example so that this does not happen again. One such this incident can jeopardise the whole democratic system in Bangladesh. Thats how fragile our democracy is.
The culprits may have been pardoned initially to take control of the situation, but they must not be allowed to get away with this. Waiting to see how army response to this later.
Old February 25, 2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehsan
Why is this really happening? Is it salary or something else? I am just curious, not that I am looking for conspiracy theories. It does not make sense for opening fire just for salary.
One of the officers first started the fire by shooting at a BDR Jowan...
Old February 25, 2009, 06:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace
This is an institution where discipline supposed to be paramount. Government need to punish these culprits in court marshal and set an example so that this does not happen again. One such this incident can jeopardise the whole democratic system in Bangladesh. Thats how fragile our democracy is.
The culprits may have been pardoned initially to take control of the situation, but they must not be allowed to get away with this. Waiting to see how army response to this later.
That would totally undermine the term "pardon". Innocent lives were lost, but as long as BDR didnt shoot at them intentionally than i think it will most likely be treated as collateral damage. I know i sound ethically wrong but this is just the way things work. Since we cannot get back the life of the fallen atleast I hope something good comes out of this. And also the grudge between Army and BDR is resolved in short time. Bangladesh chirojibi hok..
Old February 25, 2009, 06:53 PM
Cricket Sage

so they want their voice heard so they go around and kill innocent civilians what good does that do???
Old February 25, 2009, 06:59 PM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
That would totally undermine the term "pardon". Innocent lives were lost, but as long as BDR didnt shoot at them intentionally than i think it will most likely be treated as collateral damage. I know i sound ethically wrong but this is just the way things work. Since we cannot get back the life of the fallen atleast I hope something good comes out of this. And also the grudge between Army and BDR is resolved in short time. Bangladesh chirojibi hok..
What good will come out of this? We already changed the definition of "crossfire" for another government agency. I guess the death sentence handed out to the killers of BUET student Sony should be reversed as well, as they killing her wasn't the intention of their gang war.

Don't forget they took hostages to force government declare amnesty. When was the last time hostage takers were actually pardoned?

Last edited by Spitfire_x86; February 25, 2009 at 07:04 PM..