facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
Fair enough. But don't you think playing against minnows with much lesser pressure and winning is a bit easier than performing at the international level? I mean I acknowledge their efforts, but International scene is a whole different ball game. It's no joke a BD player topping the ICC rankings, and scoring almost 1000 runs in a calender year that too in conditions like England.

So don't you think it's kinda unfair to underplay the achievements of Shakib and Tamim?
well,we weren't a top team either then.we were also minnow then(though we are still considered so by some people) and we were competing with minnows and we turned out to be the best amongst the whole lot.players of that era made a huge contribution to our cricket because if they hadn't made that contribution,we would still be fighting for a spot in the top ten and players like shakib and tamim would have been putting up the fight and just wouldn't have that platform where test cricket is already being played and all that...do i make some sense to u?

Old August 9, 2010, 10:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asddsa
LOL.....u just missed the point here...i mentioned about Sachin and Bradman only to make you understand that comparing Shakib to Rafique (as you tried to do in your earlier posts) is illogical.
Again, I'm asking you - WHY? Any sort of fair comparison is welcome. Tendulkar vs Bradman comparison is fair, but you're never gonna get a result on that debate - while I don't see any reason why Rafique is miles ahead of Shakib, so that he deserves the greatest player tag? Please enlighten me.
Quote:
ICC ranking is only based on current performance. Shakib is ahead of Flintoff, Vettori in the ranking, so do you think, Shakib is better player than Flintoff and Vettori ? Hello ????
Flintoff ain't playing cricket anymore, so let that alone.
And I'm not judging him by Rankings alone, but when it comes to BD cricket - the DO MATTER. No one could get anywhere close to that achievement can they? And the problem is you view it out of context - Wisden cricketer of the year, Top allrounder, Top ODI bowler - Shakib topping all this chart means that he's indeed the real deal. No one can fluke through every possible lists like that.

And just to add, I do believe Shakib is better than Vettori as a bowling allrounder. Shakib is much better than Vettori with the ball, and Vettori is slightly ahead of Shakib in batting. With ball, I believe only Graeme Swann is the one who can possibly be better than Shakib, of the current crop that is.

Quote:
If it seems to be a bad analogy for you to compare Sachin to Bradman, so does it for me to compare shakib to Rafique !
Nothing wrong in comparing them, I meant the choice of that analogy in this context was bad. That just backfired, that's all.

Quote:
And the title of this thread is " The Greatest Bangladeshi Player of All time" ! Forget about ALL TIME, Shakib will have a tough competition in this current team against Tamim Iqbal and Mashrafe !
Tamim, I agree, that's pretty debatable. No way Mashrafe, atleast for me. He's damn pretty inconsistent, on his day, he can be a matchwinner (like our very own Ash), but when he gets smacked for a couple of back to back s, I seldom see him recovering from there and picking wickets. Okay forget all that, just look how good his test record is. Shakib has proved he's not just a one day wonder by maintaining good consistency in both formats. In fact, all three formats.

Anyway, my point is, Shakib is very much worthy a nominee for that title, even in his early stages. I can't believe you guys are underplaying his achievements so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
well,we weren't a top team either then.we were also minnow then(though we are still considered so by some people) and we were competing with minnows and we turned out to be the best amongst the whole lot.players of that era made a huge contribution to our cricket because if they hadn't made that contribution,we would still be fighting for a spot in the top ten and players like shakib and tamim would have been putting up the fight and just wouldn't have that platform where test cricket is already being played and all that...do i make some sense to u?
Well, I get your point, but the thing is playing as a minnow in associate level means a lot less pressure than performing while everyone is questioning the team's test status? Maybe proving yourself among the best lot means you're a better player than the other lot? Does that logic sound a lot complicated?
Old August 10, 2010, 12:35 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakibrulz
Again, I'm asking you - WHY? Any sort of fair comparison is welcome. Tendulkar vs Bradman comparison is fair, but you're never gonna get a result on that debate - while I don't see any reason why Rafique is miles ahead of Shakib, so that he deserves the greatest player tag? Please enlighten me.

Flintoff ain't playing cricket anymore, so let that alone.
And I'm not judging him by Rankings alone, but when it comes to BD cricket - the DO MATTER. No one could get anywhere close to that achievement can they? And the problem is you view it out of context - Wisden cricketer of the year, Top allrounder, Top ODI bowler - Shakib topping all this chart means that he's indeed the real deal. No one can fluke through every possible lists like that.

And just to add, I do believe Shakib is better than Vettori as a bowling allrounder. Shakib is much better than Vettori with the ball, and Vettori is slightly ahead of Shakib in batting. With ball, I believe only Graeme Swann is the one who can possibly be better than Shakib, of the current crop that is.

Nothing wrong in comparing them, I meant the choice of that analogy in this context was bad. That just backfired, that's all.

Tamim, I agree, that's pretty debatable. No way Mashrafe, atleast for me. He's damn pretty inconsistent, on his day, he can be a matchwinner (like our very own Ash), but when he gets smacked for a couple of back to back s, I seldom see him recovering from there and picking wickets. Okay forget all that, just look how good his test record is. Shakib has proved he's not just a one day wonder by maintaining good consistency in both formats. In fact, all three formats.

Anyway, my point is, Shakib is very much worthy a nominee for that title, even in his early stages. I can't believe you guys are underplaying his achievements so much.

Well, I get your point, but the thing is playing as a minnow in associate level means a lot less pressure than performing while everyone is questioning the team's test status? Maybe proving yourself among the best lot means you're a better player than the other lot? Does that logic sound a lot complicated?
yes i see what u are trying to say here,while i was reading this thread initially i also had tamim-shakib in my mind but then i feel that akram-bulbul made a great contribution to our cricket by providing us with the license to play test cricket and tamim-shakib can prove to be the greatest if they help us by contributing immensely in retaining it and i feel that they are heading along that direction
Old August 10, 2010, 03:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier

It is silly to include current players such as Shakib and Tamim as the greatest ever when they really have not taken our cricket to another level. Let these guys help Bangladesh actually dominate for a year and then I'll start calling them legends.

Although none of them were the greatest international players in their days, Bashar (test) and Rafique were really legends of their times. Akram, Bulbul, Shujon and Pilot were all part of our story of arriving onto the international scene. Rafique in fact would have been way better than Shakib if he got the training.

I have enormous respect for Shakib as a bowler. But as a cricketer he's still an infant. If hehad shown a fraction of the guts shown by the players mentioned above, we would have been so much better off. It takes guts to stick it out in the middle when you're struggling in batting. He always chooses the easy option.Same applies to Tamim. Its not guts, but maturity, that I ask off him.
Old August 10, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

Greatest Bangladeshi players of all time are Shakib Al-Hasan & Mohammad Rafique. Tamim has long way to go! Just a few centuries against England doesn't make him the greatest.

Bulbul and Akram are legends but not the greatest players. Rafique is ahead of all the legends.

i think some of you are confused about legendary players and greatest players.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad
Greatest Bangladeshi players of all time are Shakib Al-Hasan & Mohammad Rafique. Tamim has long way to go! Just a few centuries against England doesn't make him the greatest.

Bulbul and Akram are legends but not the greatest players. Rafique is ahead of all the legends.

Hmm. That's a sound argument there from Murad vai. Now the question is which category should Ashraful be in? Not the greatest ofcourse. Is he legendary? Or just a less than average player?
Old August 10, 2010, 11:02 PM
First Class Cricketer

I would still pick Rafique in my current team as a spinner if the choice was given to pick between Rafique and Shakib. As for, who had the most contribution and impact in BD cricket, I would say Rafique, then Bashar and Pilot.
Shakib is arguably the hero in our current cricket team and proabably the most prolific player right now, but to say Shakib is the greatest Bangldeshi player... na... I am yet to see this ... hopefully in future.
Old August 11, 2010, 07:28 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: tamim

shakib and tamim takes the lead
Old August 11, 2010, 10:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catskills
I would still pick Rafique in my current team as a spinner if the choice was given to pick between Rafique and Shakib. As for, who had the most contribution and impact in BD cricket, I would say Rafique, then Bashar and Pilot.
Shakib is arguably the hero in our current cricket team and proabably the most prolific player right now, but to say Shakib is the greatest Bangldeshi player... na... I am yet to see this ... hopefully in future.
Yeah, right. Personally Shakib has achieved 2-3 times what they've achieved in their lifetime. And you can't expect him make the other jokers like Ash perform, can you?

I can't really understand the logic, Tamim and Shakib are better than the other players, but they aren't worthy enough for calling best player ever? Seriously?
Old August 11, 2010, 10:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murad

Old August 12, 2010, 09:10 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sean williams

i think akram khan and rafique.
Old August 13, 2010, 12:26 AM
First Class Cricketer

i think it is mohammed rafique or habibul bashar.

but shakib al hasan will achieve much more than them and will probably end up with over 300 test wickets at the end of his career.
Old August 13, 2010, 08:41 AM
Cricket Legend

^^^^habibul bashar made a fool of himself at the end of his career so u could knock of a point for that and put rafique at the top of your list!
Old August 14, 2010, 01:54 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

According to ICC, all-time great of Bangladesh is Shakib Al-Hasan

Quote:
All-time great
Bangladesh's international cricket history is still short so there are many more deeds to be done before it establishes itselves at the top level. Nonetheless, Shakib Al Hasan has emerged as its first world-class cricketer since his international debut in 2006. The left-handed batsman and slow left-armer has already filled the number one spot in the Reliance Mobile ICC ODI Championship Rankings in both the all-rounder and bowler categories. In terms of Test cricket, Shakib has put in some fine performances against all-comers – recording several five-wicket bowling performances and making his first century against New Zealand in 2010. The all-rounder’s finest moment to date came in 2009 when he stood in as captain for Mashrafe Mortaze and led his side to its first-ever overseas Test victories and series win – against West Indies.
icc-cricket
Before him, it was Ashraful.
Old August 14, 2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Player wise it has to be Rafique. But Pilot should be a close 2nd.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:04 PM
Test Cricketer

My dad thinks Bulbul and Minhajul Abedin. Also he mentioned a certain ..... ... prince.
Anyone here know of him, something prince. Apparently was an excellent fast bowler back in the days.

Im surprised more people arent mentioning Ashraful. He almost single handedly won us so many matches against the G8. So many people around the world today recognise bangladesh as a cricketing nation purley because of this fella. Even now when people hear Ashraful isnt in the team, it comes as a hell of a shock to them. Yes I think he's lost his mind now a days, but without a doubt out of all the players in the squad he gives it his all (apart from batting) fielding, inspiring the team, joy of winning he gives it bloody 110%. you can see how much he loves playing for bangladesh its almost like he's ready to take a bullet for his country and his teamates! Take 2009 for example, historic year for us, not so much for ashraful in personal terms with him losing captincy and that, but if you play those momentous videos back of us winning those matches the first thing you'll notice is how happy ashraful is despite not having performed himself and strpped of captincy. Same thing earlier this year then we beat England for the first time, Ash's joy is noticible as always but where the heck is Shakib. Im teling you i've seen those highlights more than enough times and he's no where to be seen! yes one can argue camera men are at fault here but im not buying it. (and im not slagging off shakib either). I hope he gets atleast a few matches in the worldcup no matter what.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-ess
My dad thinks Bulbul and Minhajul Abedin. Also he mentioned a certain ..... ... prince.
Anyone here know of him, something prince. Apparently was an excellent fast bowler back in the days.
Golam Nowsher Prince

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...ad.php?t=31723
Old August 14, 2010, 11:53 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger-ess
Im surprised more people arent mentioning Ashraful. He almost single handedly won us so many matches against the G8.
Common misconception. He almost single handedly won us only one match against the G8 and that was against Aus. In our win against the Proteas he was our best batsman but our bowling unit's outstanding performance in the second innings had a lot to do with that win. In no other ODI win against the G8 was he our best performer.
Old October 14, 2010, 06:10 AM
Cricket Legend

Bump
Old October 14, 2010, 06:13 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: TI,Moyna,Tendu,dhoni

i want to watch presenation..link plz guyzzz
Old October 14, 2010, 06:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Shakib al hasan

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old October 14, 2010, 06:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Umpires!

signed: Shakib it is!!
Old October 14, 2010, 06:16 AM
Club Cricketer

Favorite Player: TI,Moyna,Tendu,dhoni

sakib 2000 dolalrs today....
Old October 14, 2010, 06:20 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: many ..

ashraful chara BD match jitte parhe i dont think he is that talented anymore or neither he was all his wins are now considered flukes bd can win series against good team without that ashrafoooooooooolll
Old October 14, 2010, 06:23 AM
Test Cricketer

oh shakib...