facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 26, 2011, 07:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avik
No one mentioned the tall Mohammad Sharif? he debuted in Zimbabwe, and for about a year, he was the bowling prospect.. we lost him to injury at such an early age! he is only 27 now, and is taking wickets in the national league.. maybe he can make a comeback..

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/conte...yer/55986.html

or not in a country of SLAs...
tall? his cricinfo profile says he's 5ft 6

Old August 26, 2011, 10:43 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by offstump
i remember shanto's ODI debut against pakistan

he was bowling to aamir sohail and saeed anwar ...... he was swinging the ball too much and could not control his line and length, he bowled 5 wides in the over and one commentator was criticizing Shanto

BUT in the 11th ball he got aamir sohail caught behind. another commentator said, the bowler played with the patience of batsman, batsman got impatient playing such a long over, and lost concentration and got out, credit to bowler by increasing the length of the over by bowling wides
I remember that over particularly well. It was Asia Cup 1997, the first international tournament we were playing since winning the 97 ICC trophy - I was so excited! Shanto used to bowl way too many wides back in those days till he cut down on his pace somewhat for better control. BTW, I don't think that was Shanto's debut - if I am not wrong he made his ODI debut in the Asia Cup 1995 when he was very young, about(officially) 19.
Old August 27, 2011, 02:19 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
No one mentioned the tall Mohammad Sharif? he debuted in Zimbabwe, and for about a year, he was the bowling prospect.. we lost him to injury at such an early age! he is only 27 now, and is taking wickets in the national league.. maybe he can make a comeback..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abid_Khan
tall? his cricinfo profile says he's 5ft 6
avik bhai is wrong, abid bhai is right, sharif was not tall, he was short. his u-19 new ball partner talha was tall.

ian botham was a huge fan of sharif as he always used to keep the seam upright after delivery, wheras other bowlers use to scramble the seam.

sharif was given a chance to comeback, but he is not the old sharif anymore.
Old August 27, 2011, 04:08 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
avik bhai is wrong, abid bhai is right, sharif was not tall, he was short. his u-19 new ball partner talha was tall.

ian botham was a huge fan of sharif as he always used to keep the seam upright after delivery, wheras other bowlers use to scramble the seam.

sharif was given a chance to comeback, but he is not the old sharif anymore.
There has been another pacer, Shajal chowdhury who had similarity with Sharif. Both are dark and short with well built physic. Both used to bowl pretty fast. But none of them could convince me much!!
Old August 27, 2011, 07:09 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWolf
There has been another pacer, Shajal chowdhury who had similarity with Sharif. Both are dark and short with well built physic. Both used to bowl pretty fast. But none of them could convince me much!!
shajal was faster than even rubel i feel but he was really wayward. those days speed guns were not available. otherwise he used to bowl about more regularly in the 90s than rubel i feel.

i remember sajal, anis and saiful playerd in a four nation tournament. that was also when rafiq and rokon got into the national team later when shanto came through he replaced shajal chowdhury
Old August 27, 2011, 07:39 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ryan Ten Doescate

Quote:

The tall Lol
Old August 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim

I wonder how right cricinfo is given its reputation of being very accurate regarding Bangladesh. they had naeem islam playing for rajshahi whole season, when he was in his honeymoon.

i thought i saw somewhere that sharif was 6 ft. tv te dekhe mone hoito na, but dekhsilam kothao.

doesnt matter, he carried our attack for a year or so.
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Old August 28, 2011, 05:56 AM
Banned

Sharif was known for his reverse swing. He had an injury and was out of the limelight. When he came back, he had forgotten his reverse swing
Old August 28, 2011, 08:05 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shahadat, Zunaid

Sharif was a student of Wahidul Gani like Ashraful. I practiced with both in the Abahoni indoors fopr a few months...He wasn't that fast really, to be honest there were faster bowlers in that batch I was in with Gani sir. He had great discipline and a good outswing...but that's pretty mediocre; so no wonder he didn't last too long in the international level. Ok my turn to throw some names around and see what you guys remember

Selim Shahed
Jakaria Imtiaz
Jahangir Alam (The Wicketkeeper/opening batsman)
Old August 28, 2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfreak
Ok my turn to throw some names around and see what you guys remember

Selim Shahed
Jakaria Imtiaz
1. Crappy batsman, crappier bowler, made a handful of runs in domestic cricket every season.
2. Crappy hard-hitting batsman
3. Once pledged to reverse-sweep fast bowlers if selected for a WC squad (never happened), like he would do in domestic leagues.
Old August 28, 2011, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
when i first started watching BD criket it was GM nowsher prince, Jahangir Talukder Dulu and a young Saiful Islam the bowlers for BD.

Dulu and Prince were at the end of their career and soon anisur rahman become saiful's opening partner. also Khaled mahmud was knocking around
Saiful I think had the best figures in ODIs for a Bangladeshi bowler for the longest time (4-4*) against Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup. Prince was pretty fast and half-decent - probably would have made it to the national team even today.
Quote:
at that time bd had one of their best u-19 team that had players like Biddyut, Opi, Rokon, Sajid hasan, Zakaria (akram khan look a like), Atiar Rahman, Mustadir litu, Hasibul Hossain Shato, Morshed ali khan sumon, Sajal chowdhury, Rahul etc.
They were all overage and a bunch of losers, though. Morshed Ali I think started his ODI career with two wickets against India (including Ganguly, c&b). Sajal impressed in the domestic leagues as early as 16, but never carried through. As far as I remember, Atiar did keep wickets for the national team in a couple of games, but sucked big time. Rahul was in the WC squad that beat Pakistan. Everyone knows Biddyut, Shanto, Opi and Rokon. In fact Rokon seems to have a pretty happy life in New Zealand, with two kids, only the one wife and a decent income playing cricket.
Quote:
Sajal chowdhury first made a breakthrough and he and anis partnerd saiful in a tournament where BD played the subcontinent A teams ..... we beat india by 1 run where rafique bowled an excellent last over.
SAARC '94? Rafique could have run the Pakistani non-striker out as he walked out of the crease before the ball was delivered, but chose not to. I think Bangladesh made it to the finals and lost to India A. Anis was yet another crappy leftie with no pace.
Quote:
sajal chowdhury could not prolong his career as shanto broke into the side. he and saiful was now our main bowlers. Morshed ali khan sumon also played some games.

the next batch of pacers came from the next batch of u-19s ...... monjural islam, shafiuddin babu and bikash ranjan das. when saiful's career was over monjural made his mark. also bikash and shafiuddin babu had their time. also alamgit kabir, mofizur rahman munna were some other names.
Bikash played in our inaugural Test. I'm not sure who among him, Alamgir and Munna was the sorest loser. Doesn't Munna play in Toronto now? Babu was in the team that beat Pakistan in the '99 WC and Monjural had a six wicket haul in a Test match.
Quote:
then we saw the intake of tapash and mushfiq babu followed by mashrafe, talha jubair and shahadat ............

well its a long long story
Talha has still got to be the most overrated bowler to have played for Bangladesh. Taposh was hardworking but limited in talent; same with Mushfiq Babu.
Old August 28, 2011, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Quote:
and Mohamedan lost
You shouldn't have to remember anything to be able to make that conclusion.
Old August 28, 2011, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Sharif was never going to go far - too many limitations. Biddyut has only himself to blame. Made back to back 100s against MCC and then let personal issues get in the way.
Old August 28, 2011, 10:41 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfreak
Sharif was a student of Wahidul Gani like Ashraful. I practiced with both in the Abahoni indoors fopr a few months...He wasn't that fast really, to be honest there were faster bowlers in that batch I was in with Gani sir. He had great discipline and a good outswing...but that's pretty mediocre; so no wonder he didn't last too long in the international level. Ok my turn to throw some names around and see what you guys remember

Selim Shahed
Jakaria Imtiaz
actually zakaria and jahangir have been mentioned before ...... ...... selim shahed the handsome all-rounder , i think he was one of our favourites
Old August 28, 2011, 10:59 PM
Cricket Savant

these are some other players i remember used to be good in domestics but never made the national team .... ...

imran hamid khan partho ......
saifullah khan jem
harunur rashid liton
ziaur rashid rupom
hasanujjaman jhoru
shahnewaj shahid shanu
shariful haq plabon (played one odi perhaps)
majharul haque mridul (played one-two odi perhaps)
halim shah
Efi (cant remember full name. an off spinner)
iqbal hossain
Old August 28, 2011, 11:01 PM
Cricket Savant

also there was an opener ..... Sajjadul Haq SHIPON ..... was a regular opener for sometimes, partnered Atahar ali khan .....

fahim muntasir sumit, the offspiner, played both odi's and tests
Old August 29, 2011, 12:15 AM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Mushfique, Liton

Ehsanul Hoque Sejan. He played in the 2003 wc. I can't remember if he played any test matches. we used to hire him to play for our para team for some tape tennis tournaments in the mid ninties. He was such a nice boy, very down to earth type. we had very high hopes on him about his cricket career. i think he now works as a coach for some age level team.

I also remember Salahuddin, the off spinner. he was quite good and got high praise from Gavaskar in one of the pre test status asia cups played in Sharjah.

Shahnewaz Shanu could hit the ball real hard. He never made it to the national team i think.

Nafees Iqbal is still playing, isn't he? I guess he gave up his hopes to play for the national team.
Old August 29, 2011, 07:53 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
also there was an opener ..... Sajjadul Haq SHIPON ..... was a regular opener for sometimes, partnered Atahar ali khan .....

fahim muntasir sumit, the offspiner, played both odi's and tests
He was a great talent according to Amernath..Didnt last too long
Old August 29, 2011, 07:57 AM
Cricket Guru
BPL 2015 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujon
Shahnewaz Shanu could hit the ball real hard. He never made it to the national team i think.
I remember Shanu smacked Wasim Akram (he came to play for abahoni at that time and Shanu was playing for Biman) for a six..Shanu made it to the national team few times but dont think he ever made it to the playing XI...