facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

What a bloody awful post. There's a reason why tests are called that - it's a test of temperament, technique, fitness, tactics, skill, agility, etc. - every aspect of the player basically. ODIs are fine, but test match is the 'real' cricket.

Old December 15, 2012, 11:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fush_montor
bhai...Rokeya hall-er shamne akhon dustbin banay felsee... 2 minute o darano jay na :@

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)
Really ..... Too bad for the boys in early 20s....

Anyway, still you will find people playing a series there and when it comes to test matches, will call it a waste of time/Excuse f time ...instead of just saying...I don't understand test cricket.....
Old December 15, 2012, 11:53 AM
First Class Cricketer

I fear that this thread too will meet the fate of "Knee jerk thread"....
Old December 15, 2012, 12:47 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

Tbh you have to understand CRICKET to appreciate TEST CRICKET

And who said Test Cricket is in extinction phase? Just because of two or three young (in terms of following Cricket) supporters think that way doesn't mean it's in that phase. Just a few days ago there were FOUR Test Matches running side by side- BD vs WI, Aus vs SA, NZ vs SL, Ind vs Eng. Show me a day when 4 ODIs/T20s ran consecutively in a day. Now TWO Test Series running- Eng vs Ind, SL vs Aus and NZ vs SA is just around the corner, I think it will start on 18 Dec. So who said it's going to extinct? Must say that lack of knowledge is very amusing indeed.

Signing off from this thread forever, hope not to see such threads in BC ever
Old December 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
Cricket Savant

you guys are acting roey stomped on a fetus...wtf...relax although he is being adament about his position without any solid backup i dont think he's trolling..

i disagree with the red arrows...
Old December 15, 2012, 04:00 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

I like test cricket, but I generally don't watch it except a session or two every now and then. I treat it like one of my guilty pleasures. I don't recommend watching it, unless you're retired or have lots of free time. I can't see too many parents encouraging their young kids to watch test cricket. However, if you're a good cricketer and plan on making a living out of it, you should play as much test cricket as possible. So I can understand where Roey's coming from. I gave the thread a positive rating just for being different and Roey being brave.
Old December 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Quote:
i disagree with the red arrows...
brotherhood.
Old December 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
It's not necessary that every one has to go to watch the match....stadium can take only 25-40 thousand at a time. If you see in Eng and Aus, stadiums are full when they play tests....are they not in 21st century and busy??

Have people stopped taking holidays because they have too much work? Some spend holidays in resorts, some spend in stadiums.... And some people spend weekends in the stadiums, just like some people go on a long drive in weekends.....

This business and 21st century etc are all excuses....if you love test cricket, you will go there......just like some boys spend more than a series (Time Wise) infront of Rokeya Hall, because they love to be there...

So please don't show these time as a reason....just say, you like it or not....if you like, you will make time for it, if not, you will only come up with excuses....
I kinda made it quite clear that i hate this format of the game. Don't think that i don't get excited to see bangladesh play test matches, that's not what am saying. I love watching my own country play and watch any game that is possible for me to watch (even during EXAM PERIODS). All am saying is am really not a fan of this format.

I personaly do not have the patience to watch a game that drags on for 5 days. Do you know the amount of activities/chores/etc i could be doing in those 40 hours? Hey if you have nothing better to do in those 40 h, make time for it but i on the other hand don't have the time and patience to watch a DAMN TEST MATCH. Maybe a session or 2 and that's about it ...
Old December 16, 2012, 02:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Cricket is hardly a "world sport" or even has the potential to be one IMO. Its appeal is pretty much restricted within the British Commonwealth, and its popularity in the South Asian region with its gargantuan population and utter ineptitude in all other sports makes cricket somewhat competitive economically. It's nowhere near being the number one sport outside the region, including in England, South Africa, Australia, the West Indies, New Zealand and Zimbabwe. It's not "for everybody" to begin with.

Therefore it is a subculture within the context of global sports and being as such, its unique characteristics and formats will survive. Test cricket best expresses what the game is truly about in terms of sustaining skill, temperament and character over 15 sessions of contest between bat and ball, and will never die.

In my experience many people relatively new to cricket, or interested in cricket primarily because of national or cultural pride or as a mode of socialization, eventually understand and genuinely come to appreciate test cricket as the most nuanced of a highly nuanced sport. Eventually they actually start to read what they copy/paste from Cricinfo and stop confusing "bowling" with "balling".

Having said that, the T20I format, if it becomes a regularly held Olympic event, has the potential to make cricket more popular globally, but only as a major "minor" sport like field hockey (Holland, Germany etc), volleyball (USA, Brazil etc) or ping pong (China, Korea etc) in countries outside the British Commonwealth, largely because of the possibility of winning an Olympic medal.

Anyway, I like to draw the analogy between cricket and literature. I see test cricket as a novel, the ODI as a novella, and T20Is as short stories. I love all three because each offers its own unique pleasure and would hate to see any of them go. I also recognize that at this age of voluntary ADD and instant gratification, many opt to remain functionally illiterate and not read.

That being said, I find the IPL and its Bollywoody ramkhyatami cancerous and repugnant, and leagues trying to emulate that kind of bandrami even more so. Then again, those are T20, not T20I matches. National teams competing against one another is what makes the sport at its highest level so unique.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; December 16, 2012 at 02:49 AM..
Old December 16, 2012, 02:11 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

LOL @BANFAN to that Rokeya Hall analogy.

Old December 16, 2012, 02:34 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Both Rokeya Hall and Shamsunnahar Hall contributed to many of us becoming better, more focused outfielders in our preteen years during the 1970s. BCB should recognize and reward that fact.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old December 16, 2012, 03:02 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by godzilla
I kinda made it quite clear that i hate this format of the game. Don't think that i don't get excited to see bangladesh play test matches, that's not what am saying. I love watching my own country play and watch any game that is possible for me to watch (even during EXAM PERIODS). All am saying is am really not a fan of this format.

I personaly do not have the patience to watch a game that drags on for 5 days. Do you know the amount of activities/chores/etc i could be doing in those 40 hours? Hey if you have nothing better to do in those 40 h, make time for it but i on the other hand don't have the time and patience to watch a DAMN TEST MATCH. Maybe a session or 2 and that's about it ...
As I understand, you kind of like it but can't manage to watch it all five days....and that's probably is the case with many people. I think that's perfectly ok. Even if you follow the score periodically, you can get a good feel of the fight between the team. If you can catch up the last two days on weekends that's excellent. And I enjoy a test match even if I'm following in this mode. But again there will be times, when you will be on holidays and can watch probably most of it. The point is, even if you can't sit and watch all five days, still you can appreciate a test match watching a few sessions.... Doesn't the same happen with ODIs...?? Many a times we miss good part of it and still catch up and enjoy watching part of it.... Same can happen with T20s.... But you can catchup with the feelings of a test cricket even missing a lot of it, while ODIs and T20s makes catching up difficult, since these are short lived..... It's like watching a TV serial of 50 episodes, Miniseries and a one episode drama.... The people who are impatient for an immediate result ... They won't enjoy test cricket...but who enjoy the process of achieving a result, they definitely will.....

@One World....some old memories....!!..
Old December 16, 2012, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Test cricket will die out, it's only the aussies and english holding it up anyway. Maybe SA too. But sooner than later, their population will realize that it has no place in today's world and will withdraw from the format. And then Bd will be left looking like a fool along with some other nations.

I ain't no Nostradamus, but the future is bleak. We need a good leader to sway our focus to ODIs exclusively.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:32 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib and Anamul

Cricket will never be part of the Olympics because its not a world sport I mean countries like USA, Brazil etc don't have proper Cricket grounds.
Old December 16, 2012, 11:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: All Bangladeshi players

My first post in this thread:
One Day Cricket may soon be obsolete: Gilchrist
Sports Desk
Banglanews24.com/zeenews

Sydney: Former Australian wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist has said that one day cricket is on a downward slide and may soon become obsolete.

Gilchrist believes that ODI cricket has been losing its appeal in Australia after the introduction and subsequent success of the Twenty 20 format.

The former wicketkeeper-batsman believes that ODI cricket may not last after the 2015 World Cup slated to be played in Australia and New Zealand. . . . . http://www.banglanews24.com/English/...59720&toppos=2
Old December 17, 2012, 10:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Richard Hadlee, Shakib

Some thoughts:

Like it or not, India/BCCI has a big say in the future of cricket because of their financial pull. The reaction of India's test series loss to England (first time in 28 years) did not nearly have an impact on the Indian cricket fans as did the 2007 WC exit in the first round or the pitiful performances in T20 following their inaugral win. With India now having dropped out of the 'powerhouse Test' status compared to SA, AUS and Eng, focus will slowly shift to the limited overs format, ODI, T20 and IPL primarily. This does not look promising for fans of test cricket outside of the 3 countries mentioned above.

Its just not Bangladesh. NZ, SL, WI and PAK are already relegated to 2 test series' (3 once in a while). Whatever you say about the grandness or purity of the format is a moot point as interest and focus are shifting to T20.

You can mock the 'young kids' all you want but they are the ones who will bring in revenue in the not so distant future. As the self-titled 'TRUE Cricket Fans' get married and have kids, their time, attention and money too will go away from Test cricket. Following the scores does not mean anything to the survival of Test cricket. If you're not watching, there will be no advertisers to fund the tv rights. Test Cricket already is in an old folks home with its children (ODI) and grand children (T20) paying the bills.

For now, due to the ICC structure of Test playing full member nations, BD has no choice but to play along. But the reality is, and I believe this is where the Thread Opener is trying to go with this, BD really needs to focus on its limited overs ability more so than thinking about a long term investment in the long format.

We are hosting T20 WC next year and the 2015 ODI will be more of a important factor for us as opposed to how many tests we draw or if/when we pull of that first 'REAL' test cricket win.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynman
Some thoughts:

Like it or not, India/BCCI has a big say in the future of cricket because of their financial pull. The reaction of India's test series loss to England (first time in 28 years) did not nearly have an impact on the Indian cricket fans as did the 2007 WC exit in the first round or the pitiful performances in T20 following their inaugral win. With India now having dropped out of the 'powerhouse Test' status compared to SA, AUS and Eng, focus will slowly shift to the limited overs format, ODI, T20 and IPL primarily. This does not look promising for fans of test cricket outside of the 3 countries mentioned above.

Its just not Bangladesh. NZ, SL, WI and PAK are already relegated to 2 test series' (3 once in a while). Whatever you say about the grandness or purity of the format is a moot point as interest and focus are shifting to T20.

You can mock the 'young kids' all you want but they are the ones who will bring in revenue in the not so distant future. As the self-titled 'TRUE Cricket Fans' get married and have kids, their time, attention and money too will go away from Test cricket. Following the scores does not mean anything to the survival of Test cricket. If you're not watching, there will be no advertisers to fund the tv rights. Test Cricket already is in an old folks home with its children (ODI) and grand children (T20) paying the bills.

For now, due to the ICC structure of Test playing full member nations, BD has no choice but to play along. But the reality is, and I believe this is where the Thread Opener is trying to go with this, BD really needs to focus on its limited overs ability more so than thinking about a long term investment in the long format.

We are hosting T20 WC next year and the 2015 ODI will be more of a important factor for us as opposed to how many tests we draw or if/when we pull of that first 'REAL' test cricket win.
Thank you. We should have jointly opened this thread as you are one of the few who gets the practical side of things.

Just one last time. My beef is not with test cricket itself. Old schoolers and cricket loyalists love it, and that includes Bd fans.

My beef is with not making a smart move and getting ahead on the other nations when we have the chance. Rather than say withdrawing from the format 20 years later when that advantage is gone. Because believe me test cricket is the next dinosaur. Real talk. Extinction is right around the corner of the next decade, if not this one.
Old December 17, 2012, 02:45 PM
Cricket Sage

Without TEST, there will no no need for Tea break. That means no tea for anybody. That's bad.
Old December 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
Cricket Sage

... in top of that most of the ODI and T20s are played as day-night or just night games. that means no more Lunch break... i.e. no more lunch... no more packaged biriani in the box with one boiled egg... iced cold coca cola.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
Cricket Sage

Shada kapor... kordomackto hatu aar pacha...raan-er kache ball ghosha laal dagh....new red ball..... kothyee pabo eshob jinish?
Old December 17, 2012, 04:01 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

It was predicted that Test cricket will die after the advent of Kerry Packer's World Series. Did that happen?

Yes, people can vote with their wallets. But if the new generation i.e. my generation is capricious and suffers from ADD, then they're free to move to other sports and alternative means of entertainment - it's better than yielding to their fickle and ever-changing likes and dislikes and changing the essence of the sport itself.
Old December 17, 2012, 04:05 PM
Cricket Sage

Sheet kaler shokaler fresh batach... flask bhora gorom cha...kuashaye halka bheja pitch.... opening spell....1st slip 2nd slip ... 3rd slip....kolje kapano runnup....
Old December 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Masrafi, Shakib, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I like to draw the analogy between cricket and literature. I see test cricket as a novel, the ODI as a novella, and T20Is as short stories. -------------------------------------.
Or, you can say Test cricket is like classical music and T20 like pop music.
Old December 17, 2012, 06:32 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Old December 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
As I understand, you kind of like it but can't manage to watch it all five days....
CORRECTION: I DO NOT like test cricket. This format sucks ... I just said i like to watch bangladesh play cricket (when they do play test cricket, it's very rare that i will follow the match.) Like i said, maybe a session or 2 i follow in a test match. I usualy look at the score card after the match ended. It's not my thing. I don't have the patience to watch a match which drags on for days ...