facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 5, 2009, 05:06 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
The Myth and the Myth Buster

There is always a myth flowing around that Ashrasful is the only game winner we have and therefore its justifyable to keep him in the squard even though he has a pretty pathetic average of 23 after playing 130+ ODI.

Now lets burst the myth.

From 2006 we won 34 ODI games so far and out of those games here is the distribution of MOM
(32 by Bangladeshi and two by ZIM players) ....

2009 2008 2007 2006 TOTAL %
Mashrsfee 1 1 1 4 7 21.88%
Rakibul 1 1 3.13%
Shakib 1 2 1 4 12.50%
Ashraful 1 2 3 9.38%
Tamim 1 1 2 6.25%
Farhad 1 1 3.13%
Junaid 1 1 3.13%
Shareer 1 4 5 15.63%
Aftab 1 1 2 6.25%
Razzak 1 1 3.13%
Rafiq 3 3 9.38%
Rajin 1 1 3.13%
Rasel 1 1 3.13%
TOTAL 3 5 8 16 32

Based on last three years, mashrafee, Sakib, Shahreer and Rafiq all have better case to claim the 'match winner' crown than than a player who better known as a a Fool.

And if you see from 2008, eight different players won eight games for us.

So to claim that we have a ONE 'match winner" in our team named "Fool" is completely Bhool.
The MOM isn't the only factor to determine match winner, I agree with Muradnyc.
But I know you have a different view, so I would go by your choice on MOM.

Deduct the deadhorses (Keep if you like, as they don't make any difference) from the list it comes down to Mash, Shakib & Ash. Mash is an excellent bowler and he has played a vital role in many victories. Lets comes down to Shakib & Ash as batsmen.

A Myth is created over a period of time. Ash has started becoming MOM since 2001. He has a total of 9 MOM awards. 03 in Test cricket & 6 in ODI. The three you have left out before 2006 in ODI, are 2 against SA and one Against Australia (for the epic match winning innings at Cardiff.) So it was rightly created by BD standards & it still holds true even by your stats upto 2009.

Shakib with his recent performances have started showing his abilities of becoming a match winner as well. I don't like to debate if he is better or Ash, Lets consider that he becomes a better/frequent match winner, does it mean that we have to drop Ash. Do you drop/demote the second boy of your class? A team can have more than one match winner in the team, in fact if all 11 are match winners that's also ok for me.

Mash is an excellent newball bowler, he was unlucky to not to get a 5w haul yet, More over he cannot come and win a match by cleaning the tail effectively to be called a true matchwinning bowler. More over this term probably is a bit biased towards the batsman. But I don't mind calling him a match winner by BD standard, if you like.

So according to even your stats and yeardstick, You can push him to 2nd position by your 3 year stat (If you don't add his MOM in test in 2006), so what does it tell you? Drop the 2nd best performer of the team? Either he has to be the only match winner or be dropped? What kind of logic is that?

Ash has started being MOM in 2001 & he has continued to do so even in 2009, The only word was more appropriate until Shakib came out to be one (I don't know from where in this thread, you dug out the word), you can remove that if Shakib continues to perform like he has done in last one year. Hope we have more match winners in future. That doesn't take the credit of winning matches from Ash. He has displayed his abilities in all form of the game.

Last edited by BANFAN; February 5, 2009 at 05:19 PM..

Old February 5, 2009, 05:38 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal

Ya. Why the cruelty on Ash. Doesnt everyone remember the 101 and 45 against SL just like a month ago. Those innings were very mature test innings.
Old February 5, 2009, 06:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahela Jayawardene

My point of view in this matter is Ashraful is more of a lappubazi player....some days he gets away with it and wins a match but most of the time he does not.....so the problem with him is he will not always perform.

Mashrafe and Shakib WILL perform whether rest of the team messes up or not which is why stats wise they are more world class.

Bottom line is it is possible to win without Ash but it is not possible to win without Mash or Shakib at the moment...becos they will take 4-5 wickets and score 60-70 runs min btw them!! Just my thoughts!!

Last edited by aniksh1; February 5, 2009 at 06:51 PM..
Old February 5, 2009, 08:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniksh1
My point of view in this matter is Ashraful is more of a lappubazi player....some days he gets away with it and wins a match but most of the time he does not.....so the problem with him is he will not always perform.

Mashrafe and Shakib WILL perform whether rest of the team messes up or not which is why stats wise they are more world class.

Bottom line is it is possible to win without Ash but it is not possible to win without Mash or Shakib at the moment...becos they will take 4-5 wickets and score 60-70 runs min btw them!! Just my thoughts!!
brilliant bhai, exactly been my thought!