facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old April 29, 2013, 07:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_pagol
This is just an eyewash statement. The wanted to keep the international focus away from this incident.
Keeping international focus away is more important than saving lives?

Fantastic.

Old April 30, 2013, 06:17 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Ash

Loblaw to compensate victims of Bangladesh collapse
Old April 30, 2013, 06:12 PM
BC Editorial Team

I'm sure our resident BAL sympathizers will find a way to defend this refusal of help. I've already seen such excreta (defense of the indefensible) circulate on FB.
Old April 30, 2013, 08:12 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
I'm sure our resident BAL sympathizers will find a way to defend this refusal of help. I've already seen such excreta (defense of the indefensible) circulate on FB.
bhai apni BAL word use korchen ekta vodro nomro shot desh premik jono dorodi plotical party ke identify korar jonno, apnar khobor ache..
Old April 30, 2013, 09:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Keeping international focus away is more important than saving lives?

Fantastic.
Do they think there is not enough international focus on this already? What a country we live in! No wonder politicians don't care about the lives lost in the streets due to political clashes. We are swiftly moving away from civilization.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:25 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Shakib , Mushfiqur

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlane
Do they think there is not enough international focus on this already? What a country we live in! No wonder politicians don't care about the lives lost in the streets due to political clashes. We are swiftly moving away from civilization.
Our politicians think like a CROW, they think if they close their eyes, no one will see them.
Old May 1, 2013, 02:30 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Well, why the Govt refused help ?

- 500 dead bodies, as bad as it may sound, is still better than 1000.
This is an election year and we are in the middle of a mega political turmoil. Last thing the Govt need is for the opposition to seize the moment and use these free brownie points. Hasina and Gong are already in enough deep sh!t as it is.

- The owner of the building being a BAL sponsored thug, right hand of the local MP, the govt wasn't sure what they might find inside the building or whatever that was left of it. The first two floors were still standing and it is where Sohel Rana's office was, so chances are there could be stash of drugs, cash or even worse, any documents that might throw the govt into more trouble.
They were afraid of what they might find inside and so didnt leave the charge to foreign rescuers.
With Army, Police and local Govt employees in charge of things, they have a better chance to cover up any potential damage.

- To cover their incompetency. This BAL or any other previous govt, never had any disaster management policy and nobody was sure what to do and how to do. Having a natural disaster like Cyclone or flood that affects many a miles and millions of lives is one thing, but this is just one building !! "They can't rescue people from one building, how are they going to rescue the people of this country ?"
Not sure what to do, the Govt head honchos did exactly what any other hard nosed arrogant incompetent leaders would do; not let anyone else do it. "Ami parum na, toreo korte dimu na"

500 lives of poor garments worker ? Who cares ?
This is Bangladesh.
Incorporating words like incompetent or incapable with Hasina or Khaleda is blasphemous !
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 2, 2013, 08:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

and to todays ny times front page. in the day of internet media, where news spreads like fire, u can see how one idiot (or a combination of idiots) can potentially cripple a country....

i am worried for bangladesh garments sector.......

i think government has to take more active role in fixing this $hit. bangalees can do a lot of things efficiently if they want to...... i think its time atleast for this sector..... days of preventing international attention are gone in this internet, social media era.

this building collapse was made a garments factory issue eventhough it is not necessarily so......
Old May 2, 2013, 10:39 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Army distorted Khaleda comment: BNP

Senior Correspondent, bdnews24.com

Published: 02 May 2013 09:06 PM Updated: 02 May 2013 09:06 PM
Opposition BNP on Thursday claimed that the comment of its leader Khaleda Zia on the Savar death toll was distorted by certain quarters.

An advisor to the BNP chairman Shamsuzzaman Dudu said that like everyone his party chief too simply wanted to know the 'exact' number of casualties in the Savar tragedy while addressing a rally at Narayanganj on Wednesday. However, an army officer interpreted the comment differently.

Dudu was referring to the reaction of GOC of Army’s 9th Infantry Division Maj Gen Hassan Suhrawardy, who headed the rescue operation, on Khaleda’s statement.

In an apparent reference to BNP chief, Suhrawardy had said in the morning that a section was trying to incite 'bereaved public' by claiming that death toll in the tragedy was beyond comprehension and that many bodies of the victims were concealed.

“The allegation raises doubts about the honesty and dedication of the Army, volunteers and other agencies involved in the rescue operation, which is extremely sad,” the army official went on to add.

In retaliation to the GOC’s statement, Dudu in a press briefing at the party’s Naya Paltan office clarified that, “Foreign media outlets like The Telegraph and The Guardian have made varying claims about the number of people missing in the collapse of the building putting the figure at 1100-1200. So our leader wanted to know the exact figure. However a military official has tried to provide a different explanation to the opposition leader’s comment. This is not right.”

The death toll at Savar’s Rana Plaza has increased to 429 on Thursday. So far 2,437 people have been rescued.

Khaleda Zia on Wednesday demanded of the government to make public the actual figure of those killed and rescued.

“A lot of people were buried under the collapsed building. There are still so many who are holding the pictures of their missing loved ones. We are seeing them in television channels and in newspaper pictures,” Dudu added.

“We are urging the government to stand by these families – we are with them (relatives) and will continue to stay beside them,” claimed Dudu.

Mayor Mohammad Refatullah was suspended on Thursday for 'inaction' despite cracks appearing in the ill-fated Rana Plaza.

Mohammad Refatullah was a BNP-supported mayor.

“He had ordered the building’s closure in a letter written to Rana Plaza’s owner posted on the day before the collapse. But Sohel Rana ignored his letter flaunting his ties with local MP Murad Jung, the TNO and police officials. This led to the massive loss of live.” He said.
Army chete gese dekhe madam very quickly backtracking now - lol...Like that mental midget MK Alamgir the media is to blame for her lies...hahahhaha. Oh and the BNP mayor who approved the building in 2005 has been suspended, because while Sohel Rana is an AL thug, the rest of his family are BNP thugs.

He really did have a good life - Army koto manush dhorlo in 2007/08, kintu no one touched him - he truly was a maastan loved by all - BNP/Army/AL - keu dhore nai
Old May 2, 2013, 12:13 PM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

For whatever reason, this got W-A-Y more international coverage than I expected. I really am not sure of the exact reason.

Even though it was the potential of destroying the entire garment industry of the country, it has a slight chance of making things better as well. First seems way more likely than 2nd though.

Either way, business as usual is not going to be the case anymore.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:50 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

পোশাকশ্রমিকদের অবস্থা ক্রীতদাসের মতো: পোপ

Pope o dekhi chintito amader nia...
Old May 2, 2013, 12:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
For whatever reason, this got W-A-Y more international coverage than I expected. I really am not sure of the exact reason.
very true. For a week now, every article is in NYTimes front page.

I don't know but does our other garment competitors such as India/SL, Vietnam and other countries trying to achieve something from this? As far as I know, Indians were very bitter after losing garment export competition with us.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
very true. For a week now, every article is in NYTimes front page.

I don't know but does our other garment competitors such as India/SL, Vietnam and other countries trying to achieve something from this? As far as I know, Indians were very bitter after losing garment export competition with us.
don't see conspiracy everywhere: 450 peoples have died, it's an human tragedy, and the westen world is also concern because western companies are the real decision maker, that why this tragedy is in the frontpage.
There is also a moral question from the customers in EU and USA
Old May 2, 2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita
don't see conspiracy everywhere: 450 peoples have died, it's an human tragedy, and the westen world is also concern because western companies are the real decision maker, that why this tragedy is in the frontpage.
In my initial post, I was not looking for a conspiracy though. Like it or not, 450 "foreigners" are not a big deal to western media, even if there is a western connection. There are and there were worst tragedies that did not get more than 1 or 2 mentions.

Is this attention good or bad, I don't know.

What is the reason, I have no clue.

May be its just a slow news cycle, may be its because of what they wear, may be other countries are trying to exploit it, may be they are just moved by the tragedy (unlikely given how they treat all other 3rd world tragedies), I basically have no clue. All I can say is, there has been an unusual amount of attention to this. Since this tragedy, media here mentioned "Bangladesh" probably twice more than they have mentioned it before, combined. A small portion of Muhammad Zafar Iqbal's "Biborno Tushar" comes to mind.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:42 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
I am not. It was just a feeling which might very well be wrong. No doubt its a human tragedy.

But if you read the major western newspapers, they are all emphasizing on garment sector. One might wonder, if it was a residential or some other non garment building, and the collapse killed that many people, would the response be similar? The narrative has changed from tragedy and safety to the one of misuse of workers and 'slavery' (as mentioned by Pope). Today's NYT headline was 'major retailers wants to move out of Bangladesh'.

If the major companies do get out, it will cripple our economy.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If the major companies do get out, it will cripple our economy.
There is a big chance of that. Classic example of Golden Goose.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
In my initial post, I was not looking for a conspiracy though. Like it or not, 450 "foreigners" are not a big deal to western media, even if there is a western connection. There are and there were worst tragedies that did not get more than 1 or 2 mentions.

Is this attention good or bad, I don't know.

What is the reason, I have no clue.

May be its just a slow news cycle, may be its because of what they wear, may be other countries are trying to exploit it, may be they are just moved by the tragedy (unlikely given how they treat all other 3rd world tragedies), I basically have no clue. All I can say is, there has been an unusual amount of attention to this. Since this tragedy, media here mentioned "Bangladesh" probably twice more than they have mentioned it before, combined. A small portion of Muhammad Zafar Iqbal's "Biborno Tushar" comes to mind.
In my opinion, this tragedy get so much exposure because nowadays when something happen even far from EU and USA, with all the media everyone have access to the images that why people feel concern...because you see it live...world is getting small.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
But if you read the major western newspapers, they are all emphasizing on garment sector. One might wonder, if it was a residential or some other non garment building, and the collapse killed that many people, would the response be similar?
no. i hardly doubt if any major news organization would have even mentioned it. how many articles or tv mention did you read on shabagh movement which was in my opinion bigger.... in terms of news worthyness.

this is not a terrorist act that it garners so much international media attention. i am sure many non garment workers, people like you and me also have lost lives and got maimed.

they are making a foreign connection and giving such high publicity. retail fashion is all about image.... if ppl start boycotting bd made clothes u bet your ***, companies gonna move out - and they will not spend money to "fix" tye prob eventhoguh a lot of fault is ours......

its time to bring out the positive imapact on lives of 3 million poor women that have jobs due to this garment sector..... and the positive ripple eefect it has on the country economy and hence ppl.....

i mean the question all this media is asking "are we responsible for this tragedy and by moral obligation should we stop buying bd made clothes". well you are responsible for making some 3 million womem provide for their family, so you should be proud to wear bd made clothes.....

but yes, companies should pressure the garment owners to comply by certain standards, and you bet everyone will if they are told u gonna lose business..... but there are lot of factors thats out of control from an outside force... like building codes....

for this bd govt and the individual owners have to take more active role..... this is serious.... time for dirty politics is over...
Old May 2, 2013, 03:19 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

The whole thing got so much attention because the incident of Tazrin is still fresh in everyone's mind.
Two back to back accidents with 1000+ people dead are bound to draw attention.
Had Savar happened a year later or earlier, things probably would have been relatively quieter.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old May 2, 2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
In my opinion, this tragedy get so much exposure because nowadays when something happen even far from EU and USA, with all the media everyone have access to the images that why people feel concern...because you see it live...world is getting small.
World getting small being the reason simply cannot be true. Syrian civil war, Burma's genocide, China earthquake, Iran earthquake, Sudan war and many many more things that are bigger tragedies (by number, by no means I am trying to make this situation look lighter), that are happening right now, yet gets barely mentioned.

I guess, the real reason is very simple, some news just catches on, like the Trevor Martin case, compared to similar issues. This one caught the eyes of western media.

Anyone else has any other explanation of why?
Old May 2, 2013, 03:24 PM
Cricket Legend

god forbid it could have been an apartment complex where aaparently wealthy bd ppl reside..... then who do you blame? this is not a garment factory issue....though there is some, as workers shouldnt be threatened to work in a potential hazarzard situation or lose jobs.....

the factories in the building itself met the safety codes, no one thought that the structure of the building in it self would be faulty...... i
Old May 2, 2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabz
The whole thing got so much attention because the incident of Tazrin is still fresh in everyone's mind.
Two back to back accidents with 1000+ people dead are bound to draw attention.
Had Savar happened a year later or earlier, things probably would have been relatively quieter.
Most of the western media does not even know what Tazrin incident was.

As much I am sadden by the incident, as much worried by the exposure. It has the potential of ruining the garment industry forever, effectively killing everyone else who work for it. At the same time, this is unacceptable and their working condition and wage must improve.

Damn greed! that is at the heart of the whole mess.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Tazreen got some deserved media attention. Our very own Navo was featured in a Al-Jazeera show and he discussed it very nicely. Its in YouTube and anyone can look it up.

But as iDumb said, the RMG industry practices brutal methods but it also took out millions of poor people out of poverty, and converted thousands more into decent middle class. The media mentions that very briefly. There will be hard to find anyone even in BC who has no family members involved in this industry.

But I have hope in BGMEA. Despite our violent politics, hartal, inefficient CTG port and other obstacles, they rose and became the 2nd biggest exporter after China.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:46 PM
Cricket Legend

mufi linkk dao navo interview.. ki search korbo.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:58 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
mufi linkk dao navo interview.. ki search korbo.
I have to look it up. I need his permission too, just in case he wants to be anonymous. will post soon.