facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 14, 2008, 04:18 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Default Bangladeshi Batsmen and footwork

I mean it really does make sense, when you see a pitched up delivery, a natural thing that goes through the batsmen's head is to plant the front foot forward behind the line of the ball and get ready to drive, defend or leave.

If you notice most of the outs through to slips, there was no footwork used, this is junior stuff and I cant believe this is still a problem.

Old January 14, 2008, 05:10 PM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Sachin

Any reason the batsmen always seem to drive on the up and create unecessary catching oppurtunities? Is it a lack of height?
Even while hooking and pulling, you see the players of other teams making sure the ball hits the ground first. Our players can't seem to do that even on straight drives.
Old January 14, 2008, 05:12 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib,Rasel,Rajjak,Rakib

masrafee and shahdat are much better batsman than our middle order batsman. Atleast, these two guys stayed at the crease half-an hour and wait for the bad ball
Old January 14, 2008, 05:31 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

HABA might say, foot work was 20 years ago
Old January 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Numbers tend to hide those issues until you actually see them unravel before your own eyes. Egos coupled with wishful thinking tend to hide the fact that HaBa with his bad footwork is not Gayle or Sehwag, and Mushy with his high backlift, unnecessary to generate power against genuine quickies, is not Brian Lara.

Thank GOD this Coach is addressing those issues. The days of "fifty maira tikka gyalam" have already started to give way to "magar fifty kyamne korli?".
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old January 14, 2008, 06:42 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Thank GOD this Coach is addressing those issues. The days of "fifty maira tikka gyalam" have already started to give way to "magar fifty kyamne korli?".
Priceless! Sohel, bro keep'em comin'....

Right on the button!
Old January 14, 2008, 06:58 PM
Cricket Legend

Basically, when I started playing as a kid, unless there was a knowledgable relative (I was fortunate with my uncles and cousins) who taught one the basics such as footwork, one simply didn't develop them. And the bad habits continued with the ones that became professional; yes, they often had the eyes and reflexes to score despite such poor basics, but such a handicap can only take you so far.

Tournaments like Nirman School Cricket are after my time. I presume the schoolkids now get the benefit of a decent coach (we did have Dipu Roy Choudhury as a nominal coach/"games teacher", but I don't recall him ever doing any coaching), and that we will eventually have a generation of young players coming into the clubs and the national team who have solid basics.
Old January 14, 2008, 09:26 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Good thread!
Old January 15, 2008, 01:51 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram

This is the basic technical problem of our batsmen.
Here is Tamim's dismissal at 3rd ODI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV8eiyOLiwU

Junaid's dismissal in the same match

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDT5sxc516c

and Tushar Imran's dismissal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNrZQsviUBw

here is Farhad Reza

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcoXodJI9ac

very poor judgment and inadequate footwork in each cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
I mean it really does make sense, when you see a pitched up delivery, a natural thing that goes through the batsmen's head is to plant the front foot forward behind the line of the ball and get ready to drive, defend or leave.

Last edited by sandpiper; January 15, 2008 at 02:19 AM..
Old January 15, 2008, 02:03 AM
Banned

And Ashraful's two similar attempt of hook shot produced two different outcomes.

here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHMwspj22Bw

and here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLbGedClhz4
Old January 15, 2008, 02:17 AM
Banned

two more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-SuybVA280

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHmUl7KPQhM
Old January 15, 2008, 03:03 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Basically, when I started playing as a kid, unless there was a knowledgable relative (I was fortunate with my uncles and cousins) who taught one the basics such as footwork, one simply didn't develop them. And the bad habits continued with the ones that became professional; yes, they often had the eyes and reflexes to score despite such poor basics, but such a handicap can only take you so far.
Well I developed footwork on my own, naturally, so really it can be done.
Old January 15, 2008, 05:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Agreed. If school kids like Nafi (assuming) and I can develope footwork in our own backyards, our proffessional players should find it a natural thing. If you follow the ball right out of the bowler's hand, you're feet should immediately fall into place to play the appropriate shot.
Old January 15, 2008, 06:31 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Jayasuria

from my observations from this last tour, the batsman were a bit hesitant in using their feet, and brought back memories of the disastourous 2005 tour to england, where the conditions are almost identical to new zealand with the ball swinging around a lot more than usual.
Old January 15, 2008, 06:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yameen
from my observations from this last tour, the batsman were a bit hesitant in using their feet, and brought back memories of the disastourous 2005 tour to england, where the conditions are almost identical to new zealand with the ball swinging around a lot more than usual.
every once in a while we get to play on fast pitches and our batsmen look like headless chickens. I don't think our batsmen have major problem with their footwork, whatever it is can be fixed but for that we need right facilities and we need it fast. Only few weeks left before they head out to South Africa
Old January 15, 2008, 06:54 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
every once in a while we get to play on fast pitches and our batsmen look like headless chickens. I don't think our batsmen have major problem with their footwork, whatever it is can be fixed but for that we need right facilities and we need it fast. Only few weeks left before they head out to South Africa
Correction South Africa's visiting us.
Lucky it's not on their home turf eh?
Old January 15, 2008, 06:55 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_king
Agreed. If school kids like Nafi (assuming) and I can develope footwork in our own backyards, our proffessional players should find it a natural thing. If you follow the ball right out of the bowler's hand, you're feet should immediately fall into place to play the appropriate shot.
I am sorry, but I don't believe most kids are natural talents like you two. Take a look at the kids playing street cricket in the "paaras" next time in Dhaka. There are always one or two with good footwork, but most don't have it. At least that was the situation when I was a schoolkid. As I said, with the school level tournaments we have now, this should imrove.
Old January 15, 2008, 07:02 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Correction South Africa's visiting us.
Lucky it's not on their home turf eh?
what have i been drinking? damn it. south africa is doomed
Old January 15, 2008, 07:22 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
Guess its the million dollar question right now in the BD camp.

Good one Sohel bhai.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 15, 2008, 07:26 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I am sorry, but I don't believe most kids are natural talents like you two. Take a look at the kids playing street cricket in the "paaras" next time in Dhaka. There are always one or two with good footwork, but most don't have it. At least that was the situation when I was a schoolkid. As I said, with the school level tournaments we have now, this should imrove.
I guess it also depends on how much you follow cricket and the opportunities you get to play. I've learnt my cricket through television and by playing against a wall. By following what commentators suggest and watching the batsmen on tv, all I have to do is apply it, or at least try to, by throwing a ball onto a wall and hitting on the rebound. I know it sounds like a pretty pathetic way to practice, but it works for me, works very well in fact, and you can focus on all aspects of your batting.

The kids in your "paara" may not have had the opportunity to follow cricket like me. In my opinion, you don't need coaches or anything like that to become competent in any aspect of cricket. It's all about how much time you put into it, and how well you understand the game.
Old January 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I guess it also depends on how much you follow cricket and the opportunities you get to play. I've learnt my cricket through television and by playing against a wall. By following what commentators suggest and watching the batsmen on tv, all I have to do is apply it, or at least try to, by throwing a ball onto a wall and hitting on the rebound. I know it sounds like a pretty pathetic way to practice, but it works for me, works very well in fact, and you can focus on all aspects of your batting.

The kids in your "paara" may not have had the opportunity to follow cricket like me. In my opinion, you don't need coaches or anything like that to become competent in any aspect of cricket. It's all about how much time you put into it, and how well you understand the game.
The point I am trying to make, and you seem rather oblivious to, is that not every lad playing cricket in Bangladesh is like you, and that many of these lads make it into the professional circuit and and in some cases, the national team. No one is denying that you are talented or that you have a good understanding of the game (though, mind you, we've only got your word for it; we haven't actually seen you play); the point is that most kids might not have your inherent understanding or appreciation of footwork simply from watching television, and do require coaching to develop decent basics. How else would you explain what appears to be terrible footwork by some members of our national team?
Old January 15, 2008, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

Quote:
yea true,i used 2 play cricket in da para.de hav ghorardimer technique.de used 2 wonder y cant they play 4 the bd team nd i usd 2 start laughin evrytime they mentioned it.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Footwork is overrated. I suggest, jhaata-work.
Old January 15, 2008, 11:04 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabir
Footwork is overrated. I suggest, jhaata-work.
you don't have to have so called footwork if you are lara.

our batsman should start taking dancing lesson that might help
Old January 15, 2008, 11:22 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Sakib - the real Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
you don't have to have so called footwork if you are lara.

our batsman should start taking dancing lesson that might help
Dancing is overrated too...too much playing around with foot.

Reminds me of my colleague: she held the elevator door for me. So I ran to the elevator. She said "Don't run, it's bad for your knees"