facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 31, 2013, 01:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler
Exclamation Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant

Background and Current Status of Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant

The proposal for building a Nuclear Power Plant in the western zone of the country was first conceived in 1961. Since then a number of feasibility studies were conducted, each of which established that the project was technically and economically feasible. The then Pakistan Government gave formal approval for 70 MW, 140 MW and 200 MW plant in 1963, 1966 and 1969, respectively.

In 1978-79, the government considering the role of nuclear power in meeting energy demands of the country, the government conducted a feasibility study on the project. The study clearly identified nuclear option as appropriate and viable for Bangladesh. Following liberation the ECNEC had approved the PP for a 125 MW nuclear power plant in 1980. The follow-up study, conducted in 1986-87 also reconfirmed the findings on technical, economical and financial viability of the project, and two units of 300 MW were recommended for implementation. Pre-implementation phase activities for construction of two units of 600 MWe reactors on the Rooppur site with a time lag of two years were carried out systematically by BAEC with the support from IAEA and other national organizations during the period 1999 - 2003.

Site Safety Report of Rooppur Nuclear Power Project

The Site Safety Report of RNPP finalized in 2002 incorporating all safety related parameters was reviewed by IAEA. During 1999-2002, some additional investigations for the Site mainly in the areas of Hydrology & Morphological Analysis, Subsoil Investigation, Seismic Studies and Radiological Dispersion Studies have been carried out as per IAEA recommendations. The Site Safety Report is being updated in collaboration with the IAEA.

Government Previous Commitments

The Implementation Committee (now known as the Cabinet Committee on Rooppur Nuclear Power Project), was formed headed by Honourable Head of the Government in 1992 to accelerate the implementation process of the project. A Technical Sub-Committee was formed in 1995 headed by the Principal Secretary. During 1992–2000, several meetings of the Implementation Committee were held chaired by the Head of the Government and decisions were taken to expedite implementation of the Rooppur Nuclear Power Project (RNPP). It was decided that in the first stage, a 600 MW nuclear power plant is to be constructed on the designated site, which is to be followed by a repeat unit on the same site.

N.B- don't think by any chance i am bragging for govt

Construction work to begin in September

The government has declared that the construction work of much-talked-about Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant would begin from September next.

A 16-member delegation of secretary level made a spot visit to the project area for feasibility study, progress and final action plan.

Secretary of Ministry for Science and Technology affairs Dr Rafiqul Islam, also member secretary of Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant project led the delegation.

The initial work of the project will start from March and later in September, Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin will inaugurate the project.

During her visit to Russia, Sheikh Hasina signed three agreements and six Memorandum of understanding (MoUs) with Russia in different areas including on construction of nuclear power plants in Bangladesh.

Russia assured Bangladesh of financial and technical assistance in this regard.

IAEA will oversee nuclear plant’s safety

The State Minister for Science and Technology Yafesh Osman on Monday that the government will prioritise safety in setting up the nuclear power plant in Pabna’s Rooppur.
International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) will oversee safety at each level of installing the plant. And during (Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s recent) visit, Russia has assured us of ensuring safety of the project,

The plant will be set up using third-generation Russian technology, which has a five-layer safety measure.
Dr Shawkat Akbar, Director of Nuclear Power and Energy Division (NPED), said the ‘safety perimeter’ of the plant has already been assured. It has been proved that a nuclear project can be undertaken in the area.
On Wednesday, the Prime Minister said Rosatom Director General Sergey Kirienko had called on her on Jan 16 in Moscow to discuss possibilities of starting the work on the Rooppur project this year.

The next two years will be spent on technical evaluation to determine the actual cost of the plant.

The government estimates that setting up of each reactor in the plant will cost between $1.5 billion to $2 billion.

The Russian government will provide fuel for the plant and take back the radioactive fuel waste of the reactor under the agreement.

The plant is expected to be in operation for 60 years which, according to Osman, may be extended for another 20 years.

In Dhaka University a new department opened this year in MS in Nuclear Engineering. It is inaugurated with an intention to build qualified expert local operators and engineers who will be more careful passionate in dealing with the sensitive issues.

http://www.du.ac.bd/department/commo...php?bodyid=NED

Can any1 see any Beam of light in the dark forest???
HOPE FOR THE BEST and thanks for reading so far

Old January 31, 2013, 02:04 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Third generation Russian Technology... hmm... was Cheronobyl first or second generation?

the article also says the Russians would take back the nuclear waste under the agreement. So where will the waste be stored meanwhile and how will this waste be transported to Russia?
Old January 31, 2013, 02:16 AM
Administrator

Now now, Jadukar.
Old January 31, 2013, 02:35 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Global warming is not a myth and here's the best argument for nuclear energy: ZERO EMISSION from significantly safer NPP 3.0s, yes even those from Russia and China, providing the cheapest possible electricity for value driven economies like Bangladesh ready to emerge. Renewable resources such as solar, geothermal and wind are expensive and do not produce enough to run a 50 to 500+ employee enterprise let alone a Data Center for that matter. Hydro has environmental and sociopolitical issues because you'll need to displace segments of the population in the most densely populated, justice-challenged country in the world.

Future generations, provided the current trend towards idiocracy is effectively reversed, will surely figure out a way to dispose of if not recycle nuclear waste when an NPP 3.0 dies after 60 to 120 years of service. If they don't, perhaps we don't deserve to survive as a species.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old January 31, 2013, 02:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Third generation Russian Technology... hmm... was Cheronobyl first or second generation?

the article also says the Russians would take back the nuclear waste under the agreement. So where will the waste be stored meanwhile and how will this waste be transported to Russia?
As far i know there are 4 units, of which 3 and 4 are of 2nd generation and 1 & 2 are of 1st generation, rooppor will have state of the art technology. and nuclear wastes are not produced that frequently like our household wastes. special air crafts can do the job. there can be another possibility all the wastes can be transferred to the outside orbit of the earth from russia :p. actually these are all unknown and they haven't disclosed so far..

there are long and huge articles about these, i just skimmed out the best part we all should know about our probable first nuclear plant.. its past and future...
We have to switch to nuclear today or tomorrow, i have a thesis paper on power challenge for sustainable future in perspective of bangladesh where i proved it so, And the nuclear fuel and technologies we will be using here, in no way we can produce nuclear weapon, this is a broad topic i may discuss later.

There are many uncertainties yet... and many aspects which are not disclosed to us.... lets hope for the best
Old January 31, 2013, 03:13 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Here's a good article from The Guardian on nuclear power and global warming:

Quote:
Without nuclear, the battle against global warming is as good as lost
With nuclear, there is a chance that global warming can be limited to 2C - without, we may be heading for 4C or above.

BY MARK LYNAS

A madness is taking hold. In the same week as Arctic ice cover is recorded at its lowest ever extent, two major countries decide to reduce or eliminate their use of the only proven source of low-carbon power that can be deployed at sufficient scale to tackle our climate crisis. Japan plans to phase out nuclear entirely by 2030, its prime minister announced today. The French president has just revealed a plan to dramatically reduce the country's reliance on nuclear, which currently gives France some of the cleanest electricity in the world.

Let me be very clear. Without nuclear, the battle against global warming is as good as lost. Even many greens now admit this in private moments. We are already witnessing the first signs of the collapse in the biosphere this entails – with the Arctic in full-scale meltdown, more solar radiation is being captured by the dark ocean surface, and the weather systems of the entire northern hemisphere are being thrown into chaos. With nuclear, there is a chance that global warming this century can be limited to 2C; without nuclear, I would guess we are heading for 4C or above. That will devastate ecosystems and societies worldwide on a scale which is unimaginable.

READ MORE
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old January 31, 2013, 03:48 AM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Last time i was in Dhaka i had the chance to visit my hometown which is in Narshingdi. Near my grand parent's place there used to be a nice river. I found that now there are probably 15 or 20 textile mills near the river bank and the river that I used to boat ride frequently as a kid has now turned completely black! I know that this is completely unrelated but such is the standard of business ethics and environmental protection measures in Bangladesh.

I read somewhere that the older generation nuclear reactors use water to cool down the nuclear rods which means that the water needs to be discharged somewhere. Now if that is the case with the model that we are building then it is a huge concern to me about the storage of the water. What about the risks of radioactive discharges seeping into underground streams? What are the logistical options to carry the nuclear waste from Rooppur to the nearby airport? How long do we need to store it temporarily and where? these things need to be clear before we start building the plant isn't it! You don't move into a house until the toilet is fixed.

Secondly if the cooling systems somehow fail what are the backup options available to prevent a meltdown? Are there stress test assessment reports on the particular reactor we are building? Is it considered more safer than Fukushima.

Had our government been very professional to every project it undertakes, I probably would have been less nervous about this. Or perhaps even so, i would have still questioned this since even the Japanese Government failed to prevent Fukushima disaster. I know the dream of having nuclear power has been there since our liberation but I find it troubling that we are moving with this so casually with almost zero consultation with the opposition party and various experts. It also troubles me that the arms deal with Russia is also made in such a close time period as if the two are somehow related.
Old January 31, 2013, 07:13 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^ I agree with Jadukor about the concerns he has raised. Even today, the Daily Star had an article on how Dhaka will inevitably "die" as a city as Rajuk and the other relevant authorities have not been able to fully implement the Dhaka Action Plan (DAP), that was supposed to be implemented in 2000 (!!!)

In addition, people seem to have forgotten about our other energy production-related disasters. Does no one remember the Tengratila blowout in 2005 (a legal matter that is still going through canadian courts and international tribunals)? How can we ensure that something even more grave won't happen this time?

I'd like to hear Al-Sagar bhai's input into this matter, as it is his field of expertise.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I'd like to hear Al-Sagar bhai's input into this matter, as it is his field of expertise.
indeed, hoping to see a comment from him in this thread..
Old February 3, 2013, 10:19 PM
2019 WC Fantasy Winner

Did some research on my own. BD submitted its own evaluation report to IAEA mid 2012

http://www.iaea.org/NuclearPower/Dow...Evaluation.pdf

in that document the Model is termed as VVER 1000 which uses water as a cooling mechanism. The report also says environmental impact assessment report has not been prepared yet.

I googled the VVER 1000 model and found out that it was designed in 1975...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVER

food for thought!