facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 11, 2007, 06:46 PM
Cricket Legend

Unhappy A Big Problem

The reason we are still number 9 after 7 years of test status.

There is not too much cricket for the professional players. Even the very little they get to play they do not get sufficient money. Recently Ashraful expressed his concerns regarding the indecision surrounding the Premier League( the biggest source of income for the bangladeshi cricketers). We are now one of the best at U19 levels, we were one of the best 7 to 10 years back also. Our youth team then also destroyed the likes of Windies and England youth teams. Where did those player Go? Answer is simple, the players who are not good enough for national team has no sources of income and hence they look for a job beyond the cricket world. We have lost a lots of promising Cricketers just because we cant provide them with a good reason to continue playing. We are gonna go no where with our team standing if we cant provide any positive reinforcement for cricketers to continue playing this game.

I think our cricket board and CWAB are both crap.

Old December 11, 2007, 11:18 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Tamim, Mash & Sakib

Akram khan mentioned this same issue in his interview after pakistan tour of U-19 team. he said if we had to then we should give them proper facilities with money or job and we have to try them playing till they are capable to play internation cricket.
Old December 12, 2007, 06:40 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

remember, now is never too late...

"Bangladeshi ghuskhore, chorera, tumra valo haye amader desher unnoti koro, same appies to cricket, and players should be paid according to how they play..."
Old December 12, 2007, 10:14 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

This is a problem not a big problem. I say double the national league play and payscale, improve the pitches, umpiring and facilities. We will be fine without Primire league. First division will go on fine.
Old December 12, 2007, 10:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

btw who r number 8/7/6. how long they have been playing cricket?
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old December 12, 2007, 10:39 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: PRINCE OF KOLKATA!!!

considering the trend of the Asian countries, i think BD sadly have a long way to go...having said that i think theyll easily be the quickest to getting consistently good, unlike SL, India, and Pakistan.

at the moment, we can only enjoy heroes like Ashraful and Mortaza give their best and produce moments they have given us before. Bangladesh cricket, has definitely got the interest in the country, and im guessing, correct me if im wrong, they have a steadily improving investment in the country.
Old December 12, 2007, 11:46 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

definitely agree with you
Old December 12, 2007, 11:49 AM
Cricket Sage

I agree with all of you...

For example its a BIG problem but then again not such a BIG problem.
Old December 12, 2007, 12:06 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

i believe bangladesh will gradually continue to improve until finally they acheive full success. we can't be pessimistic and say bangladesh is a slow progressor.
Old December 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: MAM & MBM

I don't see any problem with your team except the batting consistency. IF we can overcome this problem, then we are set.
Old December 12, 2007, 03:04 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ian Bell

Yeah...financial reinforcement for players who can stick to batting plans and who follow orders. Ashraful shouldn't be talking. He's good but too often he screws up trying to invent shots for balls from lengths that require high level of execution. Instead of simplifying the game he makes it complicated. That's the biggest proble. Money inflow will be there but change in habits I am afraid is a bigger problem.
Old December 12, 2007, 04:31 PM
Cricket Legend

This thread is not for discussing our National Team. I just want to emphasize that the cricket board should take incentive to make sure that players have enough encoragement to keep on playing cricket at a pro level. The players from Our U-19 team ten years back that defeated the likes of Windies and England do not exist anymore only because we cudnt give them a reason to continue. Even after getting the Test status if our cricket board cannot organize a simple Premier league than Trust me it is a BIG problem.
I am not being a pessimist by calling us a slow progressor, i am just saying that may be we cud have had more talented cricketer on our ranks if and only if there were more financial incentive for professional Cricketers( the ones who are not playing in the national team).
Old December 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
The players from Our U-19 team ten years back that defeated the likes of Windies and England do not exist anymore only because we cudnt give them a reason to continue.
That's a very inaccurate statement. Most of the players from 1998 U/19 team (Shabbir, Ehsanul, Rokon, Opee, Hannan, Mushfiq Babu, Monju, etc) have long and successful careers in domestic leagues, represented Bangladesh, and are still playing. Those guys are probably not rich, but they have been making enough money from cricket for last ten years to stay as professional cricketers.

Quote:
Even after getting the Test status if our cricket board cannot organize a simple Premier league than Trust me it is a BIG problem.
Dhaka premier league has been organized since Pakistan era. This year BCB is having trouble organizing it not because of its organizational weakness, but because of a legal battle. If the premier league can't be started in time, BCB can easily start an alternative league and I believe they will do it if necessary.

Last edited by Eshen; December 12, 2007 at 05:37 PM..
Old December 12, 2007, 05:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
That's a very inaccurate statement. Most of the players from 1998 U/19 team (Shabbir, Ehsanul, Rokon, Opee, Hannan, Mushfiq Babu, Monju, etc) have long and successful careers in domestic leagues, represented Bangladesh, and are still playing. Those guys are probably not rich, but they have been making enough money from cricket for last ten years to stay as professional cricketers.

Dhaka premier league has been organized since Pakistan era. This year BCB is having trouble organizing it not because of its organizational weakness, but because of a legal battle. If the premier league can't be started in time, BCB can easily start an alternative league and I believe they will do it if necessary.
Agreed
Aplogise for the misinformation.
However i still think in order have a world champion team in the future a lot more money must be spent on cricket. Basically a larger payscale for cricketers.
Old December 12, 2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Napoleon Einstein

New Zealand has the same problem, you get paid more for going out and getting a normal job
Old December 12, 2007, 09:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

i don't want to step on anyones toes but tbh BD batsmen (bowlers not so much) don't do the job domestically as well players in other top cricket nations. in other domestic leagues you'll see a number of batsmen who average high 40s or 50+ at any given time who have played a good amount of matches (or at the very least a good number of players averaging in the 40s in their domestic stats) and there will also be a few bowlers who perform very well. bangladesh don't have this, the only batsmen who average high 40s or 50+ are batsmen who are young and have only played a handful of matches.

a batsman averaging under 30 with the bat is not a successful batsmen, they're not even having a decent career (decent would be averaging around 35 in FC crickeet and around 30-35 in one-day cricket). these are the type of things that should be considered when deciding on a pay package, how do they compare domestically to other players in other domestic leagues? and atm BD batsmen don't really hold up much of an argument for an increased pay package. players can't average 25 with the bat and expect a massive payout, they're not performing therefore don't deserve it. it's like giving an employee who's done an under par job a pay rise, they don't deserve the pay rise so they shouldn't get it.

i know stats don't always show the true story but in most cases for most players who have played a good amount of matches the stats ring true.
Old December 12, 2007, 09:36 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
i don't want to step on anyones toes but tbh BD batsmen (bowlers not so much) don't do the job domestically as well players in other top cricket nations. in other domestic leagues you'll see a number of batsmen who average high 40s or 50+ at any given time who have played a good amount of matches (or at the very least a good number of players averaging in the 40s in their domestic stats) and there will also be a few bowlers who perform very well. bangladesh don't have this, the only batsmen who average high 40s or 50+ are batsmen who are young and have only played a handful of matches.

a batsman averaging under 30 with the bat is not a successful batsmen, they're not even having a decent career (decent would be averaging around 35 in FC crickeet and around 30-35 in one-day cricket). these are the type of things that should be considered when deciding on a pay package, how do they compare domestically to other players in other domestic leagues? and atm BD batsmen don't really hold up much of an argument for an increased pay package. players can't average 25 with the bat and expect a massive payout, they're not performing therefore don't deserve it. it's like giving an employee who's done an under par job a pay rise, they don't deserve the pay rise so they shouldn't get it.

i know stats don't always show the true story but in most cases for most players who have played a good amount of matches the stats ring true.
this is true. very true.

however, equally true is the fact that many of those 27 year olds playing FC cricket with 50+ averages, had they played Tests would average something in the mid 20s or low 30s at best. there are many 50+ average players in FC cricket, but clearly not all of them would make good test bats.

now many of our players also do not have a huge discrepancy between their FC average and their test averages.

bangladesh has a very week FC league. this is fact. someone who averages 30 in our NCL, should average 10 in tests. but many of players have more or less the same test average as FC average.

as well as the fact that in bangladesh, at the stage we are in, we can't *afford* to pay our players what they're worth, because if that was case, all our players with the exception of mashrafee, rasel, razzak, and sakib would have to turn to begging on the streets of dhaka. we simply are good enough at this point to do what the other countries do. but we're slowly but surely getting there.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 12, 2007, 09:37 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengaliprince176
considering the trend of the Asian countries, i think BD sadly have a long way to go...having said that i think theyll easily be the quickest to getting consistently good, unlike SL, India, and Pakistan.

at the moment, we can only enjoy heroes like Ashraful and Mortaza give their best and produce moments they have given us before. Bangladesh cricket, has definitely got the interest in the country, and im guessing, correct me if im wrong, they have a steadily improving investment in the country.
well stated. spot on.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 12, 2007, 10:50 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
this is true. very true.

however, equally true is the fact that many of those 27 year olds playing FC cricket with 50+ averages, had they played Tests would average something in the mid 20s or low 30s at best. there are many 50+ average players in FC cricket, but clearly not all of them would make good test bats.

now many of our players also do not have a huge discrepancy between their FC average and their test averages.

bangladesh has a very week FC league. this is fact. someone who averages 30 in our NCL, should average 10 in tests. but many of players have more or less the same test average as FC average.

as well as the fact that in bangladesh, at the stage we are in, we can't *afford* to pay our players what they're worth, because if that was case, all our players with the exception of mashrafee, rasel, razzak, and sakib would have to turn to begging on the streets of dhaka. we simply are good enough at this point to do what the other countries do. but we're slowly but surely getting there.
true, alot of BD players have a similar average in tests as they do in the NCL (and obviously playing tests can lower a players FC average because test match cricket is of a higher standard) and yes the standard and stats are gradually improving which is a good thing.
Old December 13, 2007, 10:35 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

Lets create some Sachin Kapali and Alok Murali...
Old December 14, 2007, 12:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Abu Jayed Rahi

Quote:
Originally Posted by One World
Lets create some Sachin Kapali and Alok Murali...
ahhh, another kapali fan eh? i wonder why he is lacking in confidence in international level but soaring sky high in domestic level? in 20/20s i thought he did reasonably good until the International T20 against South Africa and after...