facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old January 20, 2010, 09:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah
Ash played more games than Nafees, any comparison in the number of centuries and the opponents they were scored against, based on a small dataset of information is faulty and illogical. As far as getting out like an idiot is concerned - Ashraful is second to none; regardless of the quality of the bowler.
Atleast Ash doesnt get out in the same bloody manner every single time and Ash has won us matches or got us close to winning on more than one occasion! Nafees always gets caught behind the wicket, which, BTW makes it obvious how weak he is playing against moving/seaming/swinging balls. And he bats #3 or as an opener FGS. Embarrasing

Last edited by dark mage; January 20, 2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old January 20, 2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Picking him in the ODI squad (read "squad", not XI) based on his DPL performance was probably alright, but I personally wouldn't have played him in the Tests solely because we haven't seen him play any longer version cricket lately. I'd play a spinner instead - given the state of our batting, having eight batsmen in the XI isn't any better than having seven.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:35 AM

Nafees must be in nightcoach heading to Dhaka right now, bring Nayeem in the team for next test.
Old January 20, 2010, 09:41 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

After watching SN's ugly and gut-wrenching display with the bat (I am ashamed to say it batting, it was basically catch practice to slip), I am forever done with the ICLers. They should be kicked out of the national team immediately and sent to the following destination, for that is the place they truly belong to. Before kicking them out, let each drink a glass of "মাহমুদুল্লাহ-নাঈমের পা ধোয়া পানি"।

Old January 20, 2010, 09:43 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by capslock
Ash is still in because it's not embarrassing to watch him play.
So true
Old January 20, 2010, 10:02 AM
Cricket Sage

he needed the first class season to get back in form in the longer version, I think we called up him too early, then again what's the guarantee Zunaed would have done any better
Old January 20, 2010, 10:41 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD-Shardul
After watching SN's ugly and gut-wrenching display with the bat (I am ashamed to say it batting, it was basically catch practice to slip), I am forever done with the ICLers. They should be kicked out of the national team immediately and sent to the following destination, for that is the place they truly belong to. Before kicking them out, let each drink a glass of "মাহমুদুল্লাহ-নাঈমের পা ধোয়া পানি"।
why will SN's failure also close the door for Aftab, Kapali etc??
Old January 20, 2010, 10:42 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Picking him in the ODI squad (read "squad", not XI) based on his DPL performance was probably alright, but I personally wouldn't have played him in the Tests solely because we haven't seen him play any longer version cricket lately. I'd play a spinner instead - given the state of our batting, having eight batsmen in the XI isn't any better than having seven.
exactly, i think the samething. the performance that he showed in dpl matches, he could get a chance to play atleast one match in tri-series. based on his odi based performance on dpl, the selectors pick him in test squad. morons! the last time he played test match was 2-3 yrs ago. selectors believe that the one who does well on odi matches in dpl will also do well on international test matches. let nafess play more 3/4 days test match on dpl. selectors can pick him in odi squad as a replacement, but in test, he needs to develop.
Old January 20, 2010, 10:47 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Yes, I also think we are one spinner short. Enamul could have been in SN place.

But am not too sure about Naeem. He looks like a pie thrower even in ODIs. If he gets a place, I think it has to be on batting only.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I want junaid back in.

he has amazing front foot technique.

But I want dont want to drop SN only after one test.

He shouldnt be playing against the new ball.

So I would dump Imrul for Junaid, if Siddons and management thinks he is in good touch.

Last edited by Nafi; January 20, 2010 at 11:12 AM..
Old January 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
Club Cricketer

Default Little bit harsh

Expecting something good from him after a long break is little bit harsh. Yes, he is the right choice for the test team but he should have given a chance to play some ODI matches. Putting him into this tremendous responsibility and expectation and judge him from it is very unfair and unrealistic and very harsh. We should never put any player in this position and I think it is a short sighting from BCB point of view. I know that he is a very good and hard working cricketer and if we throw him away like we do with others, we will go through the same cycle and will never improve. SN is a very capable player and we should stick with him and I have no doubt that he will come out good.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imahmud
Expecting something good from him after a long break is little bit harsh. Yes, he is the right choice for the test team but he should have given a chance to play some ODI matches. Putting him into this tremendous responsibility and expectation and judge him from it is very unfair and unrealistic and very harsh. We should never put any player in this position and I think it is a short sighting from BCB point of view. I know that he is a very good and hard working cricketer and if we throw him away like we do with others, we will go through the same cycle and will never improve. SN is a very capable player and we should stick with him and I have no doubt that he will come out good.
Why do I get the feeling that you are a relative of him?

Did you see him play? It was ugly. Ugly. UGLY!

Fine, if you don't play for a while you feel uncomfortable. But after being dropped at 5 and 15 you still try to do the same? You shuffle your feet as if you are trying to adjust your popping crease position after ball is already on its way? If you are riding your bike after a long time, you will have a shaky hand and might drive it to the ditch once or twice but you will not forget to ride it all together. I liked him before for his minnow bashing ability and he did well when he was an unknown figure. But now that his flaws are all analyzed and everyone knows what to do with him, he has become useless. Please learn to accept it and move on.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:29 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangladeshFan
why will SN's failure also close the door for Aftab, Kapali etc??
After was always an ODI player and Kapali was never a player.
Old January 20, 2010, 11:46 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imtiazk
Personally, I would drop both Imrul and Nafees. Their techniques, even by our standards, are deficient. Nafees' attitude was also difficult to comprehend. Of course, bring in Naeem. Is Zunaid in the squad ? Put Rakibul at No.3.
+ 1.

These two also dropped vital catches in both innings. Junaid is probably the only reliable slip catcher we ever had. A dropped catch in test can often be worth 50 runs. Nayeem offers an extra bowling option, for what it is worth. Even if they don't score any more than Imrul/SN, they add something extra to the team.
Old January 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Ok, i think SN is an undercover agent for BCCI.
They are secretly paying him extra money to hog a space in the team, only for the losing cause.
Only no one told Laxman about that. May be laxman is a thick head and might end up leaking it
out to the media.

Now i have to call my dealer. My stock is running out.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old January 20, 2010, 12:12 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
I want junaid back in.

he has amazing front foot technique.

But I want dont want to drop SN only after one test.

He shouldnt be playing against the new ball.

So I would dump Imrul for Junaid, if Siddons and management thinks he is in good touch.
You can't keep both both SN and Junaid, something's gotta give. He needs about 2/3 years playing in domestics and just working on his technique, it is seriously deficient.
Old January 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Whoa, calm down people. SN isn't like this. Let him calm down a bit. He's probably embarrassed playing alongside people he badmouthed. I think SN is as good as any of our batsman and he will score if his mindset is right.
Ironically the same statement is true for our AAA. Is SN joining them?
Old January 20, 2010, 12:55 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraji
Whoa, calm down people. SN isn't like this. Let him calm down a bit. He's probably embarrassed playing alongside people he badmouthed. I think SN is as good as any of our batsman and he will score if his mindset is right.
Ironically the same statement is true for our AAA. Is SN joining them?
If you can't bear any of your deed then you shouldn't be doing it.
Old January 20, 2010, 01:01 PM
Cricket Legend

few words to summarise everything: worser then junaid
Old January 20, 2010, 01:08 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: SRT,Ash,Saki,dhoni,drvid

2 WORD FOR ICLER---pure bhua
Old January 20, 2010, 01:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

This whole ICL vs. Non-ICL is that its a blanket statement and is based on passion than cricketing merits. Shahrier Nafees's defficiency has nothing to do with Aftab Ahmed, Habibul Bashar or Alok Kapalis ability to do something different. They are all different players and whatever happened a year ago, only BANGLALEES like us are holding grudges,, Pakistanis, New Zealanders, Indians and Aussies have all forgotten who was part of what... Mohd. Yusuf is now the captain of Pakistan, Razzaque is playing well and Shane Bond is back in action. You may ask Nafees is not their callibre. And yes, thats true but the fact is Bangladesh needs a solid #3, a good medium pacer all-rounder and some backups for the long back to back international season we have in 2010.

What will happen if 3 players are injured in the squad? One Mashrafee's absence proved that our bowling options are limited. Just think what will happen if Shakib, Tamim and Riad is injured? You bring back Mehrab Jr. like players? There is a reason the selectors are prepping some additional players for 2010 to prepare for the up coming series, to have backups and to prepare for the World Cup.

Nafees is totally exposed and reminded of us why he was dropped before he left for ICL. But it doesnt mean that we start complaining about his looks, his hair and his attitude 2 years back. Heck, if he drunk 3 am in the morning of new years eve, so be it. We still expect him to deliver when it matters. This time around he failed but it was obvious that he is still very nervous and needs time to get back to international side. The constructive criticism is that we send him to A teams, let him play more DPLs and allow him to practice with the national team.

ICL is a dead topic. Move on folks. And yes, let Nafees play more matches with A team before discarding/including him from the national duties...
Old January 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Dhakablue got it right. Because SN played bad, some of us would like to lynch anyone who ever had anything to do with ICL. Why cant we more mature ?
Old January 20, 2010, 02:00 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark mage
So that he can keep putting the team in trouble? Bangladesh team ki or baper shompotti naki? or is the National team a coaching academy where the faulty techniqal batsmen get to play practice matches against international teams to improve their batting? IMHO, I dont mind if he gets out, like I m never too angry with Tamim even if he gets out cheaply, because he doesnt keep getiing caught in the slips or gets out in similar fashion every time. My problem with Nafeees is, the way he gets out. It just shows how bad he is against quality fast bowling. Its like a big bad joke.

That's why Jamie Siddons didnt want him in the team, and that's why he said, performing well against crap bowlers in DPL is very different from scoring against quality bowlers. Jamie Siddons knows how horrible a technique Nafees has and its almost impossible to fix it up now at this stage of his career. Siddons doesnt want to waste his time on teaching players like Nafees basics when he can spend that time to upgrade the skills of the other players. If the ICL players hadnt left, they could've spent more time with Siddons to improve their game like the other players like Mushfiq, Tamim and Shaqib, but now its too late, Nafees doesnt even look a part of the team.
Lol n comment "Bangladesh team ki or baper shompotti naki? ".
But Overall I agree with you 110%. He was actually one of the "Beadob" ICL'ers with Dhiman Ghosh and I think its not fair not to give chances to players like Naeem and Mehrab Jr who didnt go to ICL.
Old January 20, 2010, 02:06 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
I think Dhakablue got it right. Because SN played bad, some of us would like to lynch anyone who ever had anything to do with ICL. Why cant we more mature ?
With all due respect I think its got something to do with ICL. 20/20 is a rash cricket and SN dont know how to play test cricket anymore (atleast for now) I dont know whether you watched the game or not just compare the shot selection Tamim made and Shot selection SN made.
Old January 20, 2010, 02:09 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

I missed our batting last night. But judging from what you guys are saying, SN looked a fish out of water! Anyway, he is not a no.3. Neither is Zunaid or Imrul. Its time we promote somebody else from within this squad or look outside. Eventually, Tamim-Zunaid opening pair will settle in, then we must find our replacement for Bashar in tests. No.1 task from here on..