facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old July 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
Cricket Guru

Default 40/40 Odi !

ODIs in for shakeup, ICC plans to tinker with 50-over format

New Delhi, July 9 (PTI) Afraid that one-day cricket might have ceded at least part of its charm to the game's slam-bang Twenty20 avatar, the International Cricket Council (ICC) is all set to tinker with the 50-over format.

ICC General Manager of Cricket Dave Richardson says he is not sure if the crowd, which lapped up Twenty20, has the same appetite for ODIs and he reckons the 50-over game may have to pave way for 40-over matches or even two innings of 20 overs each.

"The goal is to preserve all three formats. We have to preserve Test cricket as the pinnacle of the game. But are people willing to watch a 50-over game when T20 promises more action in less time? That is the challenge," Richardson told 'The Week' in an interview.

"So we are looking at two fresh options. We still feel broadcasters need content for seven hours...We need to get balance right and tinker with the 50-over format," he said.

Richardson said the 50-over game has evolved over the years and there are new proposals on the table to experiment with the format.

"The general feeling amongst cricketers is that the 50-over edition is not sacrosanct like Test cricket. It started off with 60 overs and then dropped to 55 and 50. Some countries are experimenting with 40 and 45 overs. The new proposals are firmly on the agenda. We will not promise anything, but it will be looked at quite seriously," he said. PTI

http://www.ptinews.com/pti%5Cptisite...F?OpenDocument

Old July 9, 2008, 09:59 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

well i like ODIs the way they are but if they're going to tinker with them and split up overs and play more innings why not play 25 over innings? 40/40 ODIs with innings of 20 overs is basically just a couple of t20s slammed into one match, they're essentially just playing 2 t20 matches.

why not make it 50/50 and have 25 over innings to make it a bit different?
Old July 9, 2008, 10:39 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

40 over tournament has been played in England for a longtime, It used to be called sunday league now it has changed to Pro 40.

I never liked it.
Old July 9, 2008, 11:10 PM
Cricket Savant

better be a joke...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 10, 2008, 06:27 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Brian Charles Lara

2 blocks of 25 over game would be more interesting.
Old July 10, 2008, 08:15 AM
Test Cricketer

What the hell is going on!
Just reduce each innings to 45 overs, and the next two blocks of powerplays should only be applicable after the 20th over. That'll be a better way to keep the audience interested in the 'boring stage' of ODIs.
Old July 10, 2008, 09:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Stop Australia and India playing 7 ODIs every series! I suggest a World Championship League for both Tests and ODIs which is played over a 2 year span. Where every team plays each other twice home and away. That is going to keep both the formats interesting. Twenty20 should be played on a friendly basis.
Old July 10, 2008, 09:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

If that is the case then why don't we reduce the test matches to 2 and a half days? That will be interesting to watch and plus it's going to take less time as well. If you want to make ODI more interesting then stop playing the damn thing so much. People will be craving to watch it if there's a 2/3 months break and then they will be interested to see who wins.

There is no need to change up the format, you could find many other things to do to make the game more interesting, other than changing up the format!!
Old July 10, 2008, 10:44 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Man why cant people bloody stop fiddling with the format of the game? If people want more action and hitting go watch baseball. Leave cricket alone.

Besides it doesn't matter. We suck at all 3 format.
Old July 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Not surprised. One-day cricket has to go. It's the T20's and more importantly the tests that matter.
Old July 10, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cricket Guru

The idea behind 40 overs match is to eliminate/reduce middle overs which is the most boring part of ODI. I kinda like the idea.
Old July 10, 2008, 01:00 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Not boring to me. It shows patience on the middle order. If it is reduced then more dhum-dharakka player will emerge instead of players with proper technic. Instead of focusing on the format, ICC needs to do something about the dead pitches countries are playing on. Wickets those assist bowlers makes the matches more interesting.
Old July 10, 2008, 01:11 PM
Cricket Sage

I also suggest they make TEST as five 90 over innings. The wicker team will get one additional 5th innings .

That will be real fun.
Old July 10, 2008, 01:21 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
Not boring to me. It shows patience on the middle order. If it is reduced then more dhum-dharakka player will emerge instead of players with proper technic. Instead of focusing on the format, ICC needs to do something about the dead pitches countries are playing on. Wickets those assist bowlers makes the matches more interesting.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. PLaying in the middle overs it self is an art which these "dhum-dharakka" players will never be successful at. TBH I don't give a rat's a$$ about T20. I don't find it entertaining watching 6s and 4s with tera mera shots. But shots played with basics/proper technics are an absolute joy to watch.

I really think they should stop all these experiments et al from all the forms of cricket and just let it be. And to the fans, if you want more action then go watch some other sports but don't come back to cricket!!

Last edited by Nafis_BD; July 10, 2008 at 01:35 PM..
Old July 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
2 blocks of 25 over game would be more interesting.
that''s what i interpreted once...i was like wtf....anyways if that's the case...we only need two bowlers and no fast bowler can have that much stamina to bowl them overs...

Official Website |Amazon | Twitter/X | YouTube|Cricket Articles
Old July 12, 2008, 02:59 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

It was at some point 40 overs. I would love it. It will increase the intensity of the ODIs a bit. Reducing 10 middle overs isn't a bad idea.

It's funny thoughts though,"Are we going to see limited overs/days Test Cricket some day?" Hope not.
But u never know.
Old July 13, 2008, 05:12 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: ZAR

over reaction from ICC. dosen't sound good.