facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 18, 2008, 01:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Default World Cup format changed for 2011

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/7303639.stm

The International Cricket Council has confirmed that the 2011 World Cup will be shorter, with fewer teams.

Last year's 47-day event in 2007 was criticised for being too drawn out.

The 2011 tournament - jointly staged by Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka - will involve 14 rather 16 teams and will run over 38 days.

The ICC's 10 full members automatically qualify for the 2011 event and they will be joined by the top four teams from 2009 qualifiers in Dubai.

Old March 18, 2008, 05:08 PM
Cricket Legend

I am with that decision,it was right for them to take that decision,as long as bangladesh is in there.

But i think its gonna be bad for teams like bermuda,holland and maybe canada,most probably zimbabwe,ireland and kenya are gonna be the associate nations to qualify in the 2011 wc,but you never know.
Old March 18, 2008, 05:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: BD Team Players

I wholeheartedly agree with that decision. Last World Cup was not well planned and had many flaws. If they want this WC to be better they need to make it short so fans don't lose their interest after a while. The last format was effecting the players as well. I hope this WC is much better in terms of performance, organising, etc!!
Old March 19, 2008, 12:34 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhrubo
I am with that decision,it was right for them to take that decision,as long as bangladesh is in there.

But i think its gonna be bad for teams like bermuda,holland and maybe canada,most probably zimbabwe,ireland and kenya are gonna be the associate nations to qualify in the 2011 wc,but you never know.
Zimbabwe are not an associate member, they are actually a full member and don't need to qualify.The Qualifying Tournament will be between the teams Kenya, Ireland, Netherlands, Bermuda, Scotland, Canada, UAE, Oman, Namibia and Denmark. Ireland and Kenya are near certainties to get into the final 4. Scotland and Netherlands should too but will face strong challenges from Canada, Namibia and the UAE. I reckon Bermuda have near to no chance of qualifying. Does anyone know that now that only 4 associate nations are qualifying that there will only be 4 associates with ODI Status from 2009-2013.
Old March 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: MASHRAFE MORTAZA

bangladesh is there.. i'm happy
Old March 20, 2008, 02:02 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Ash,Tamim, Rahim,Sakib

I think that they are planning it to follow the format of 2003 world cup where BD performed horribly, even Canada beat them. Inshallah, this time it will not happen.
I saw a couple of those replays and I felt sorry for BD for they looked so lost.
Last world cup was indeed too long and people began losing interest as it was too drown out, too many round robin matches.
I think the four strongest associate teams are Ireland, Kenya, Scotland and Namibia, I cant see the likes of Canada, Bermuda, Uganda and Holland beating these teams.

Let's hope by that that time that BD is a stronger team and go through to the quarter finals at least.
Old March 20, 2008, 10:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

i think this will maximize the chance of bangladesh getting more home games and all those games will be at bangladesh.

be cause what i heard there will be 7 teams in two groups and each will play each.

that is 6 games in the intial stage, compared o two in the previous WC.

so bangladesh will have at least 6 games in bangladesh to start with (otherwise one of the group mates are india or pakistan)